Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Default Can a felon become a paralegal?

I read somewhere that a convicted felon became a lawyer and passed the bar I believe in Arizona. Is it possible for someone to become a certified paralegal with a felony? I have a felony charge that I plead no contest to. It was immediately reduced to a misdemeanor and is on its way to becoming expunged/sealed in the state that I got the charge in? I've contacting the certification board and have yet to receive a reply. I have what they call a "wobbler" so I don't know what they expect? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
PTO Admin - SysOp
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,951 Times in 974 Posts

I believe the only state where this can take place is California. (felon passing the bar and becoming a lawyer after being convicted of a felony)

Not sure about the paralegal requirements in Arizona.

I do have a friend that did paralegal work in the State of Texas after picking up a felony.

Are you having account or other issues at PTO? If so, use the...

Old 03-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Default Thanks for reply

Your friend that did paralegal work in Texas after a felony charge... was he/she certified? Thanks for your expedient reply...
Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Exclamation Depends Upon the State

I'm going to school for my para legal certification, and I have a felony conviction(for now anyway). In PA there are no restrictions that I'm aware of(the state law is such that a conviction must be job-related ie; a school bus driver with a DUI, in order to deny one public/private employment).
Old 04-18-2008, 02:36 PM

not in Texas--I tried and they said paralegals had to be able to be notary publics for the position I sought and you can't be notary public with a criminal record, so sorry.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosecondchance View Post
not in Texas--I tried and they said paralegals had to be able to be notary publics for the position I sought and you can't be notary public with a criminal record, so sorry.

I'm a notary and i have a misdemeanor, class A.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts

I am certified in California.

Patti
Old 06-25-2008, 09:50 PM

I am certified in California, Louisiana, and Tennessee. If you graduate from an ABA approved college with a BA or AA degree and get certified by passing the PASE exam give by the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) your conviction never comes into play. However, large firms especially firms that do defense work (i.E. insurance defense,etc.) will do a background check so if asked do not lie. A law degree can be held by someone with a felony conviction who graduates law school, however, he or she can not be admitted to the bar of their state, so all they can do is teach at a university or do corporate work. Lastly, most universities will not admit you if you have a felony conviction that is under 10 years old, and the question is on the admission form.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:41 PM

Default For Queen 06

I have a felony and I'm still on probation. I just started college for a bachelor in paralegal. You said you are certified in Louisiana with the NALA. When I go to get certified, which will be a while yet, my felony won't hurt me? Do I need to be certified with someone such as the NALA to pratice as a paralegal? I was looking more into corportate law, contracts and stuff like that. Do you have any advice for me?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
never back down :)

Does anyone know if you can get certified in Florida w/ a federal felony?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,529 Times in 8,070 Posts

Unless you're in California, you do not have to be certified by anybody to be a paralegal. You just have to be accepted by a law firm to be able to do the work.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicGirls00 View Post
Does anyone know if you can get certified in Florida w/ a federal felony?
Yes, you can.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Unless you're in California, you do not have to be certified by anybody to be a paralegal. You just have to be accepted by a law firm to be able to do the work.
FYI - several other states have, or are in the process of, requiring certification to be a paralegal.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:27 PM

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,454 Times in 3,301 Posts

In VA you do not have to be certified, although it is very difficult to get a job without an AA and these days a BS. I don't think there is anything against a paralegal with a felony working here, however with such stiff competition, I am wondering if one would be hired. I do know in VA, it is a problem if a person goes in front of the Bar and has a felony. Don't think it is not possible but very difficult.

Site Mod: Virginia, General Health Care, PTO Lounge, Husbands and Boyfriends, General Prison Talk, Texas, and Prison Legal.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:57 PM
attorney

Thanked 12,346 Times in 4,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I believe the only state where this can take place is California. (felon passing the bar and becoming a lawyer after being convicted of a felony)
uh, no. It happens in most jurisdictions. You're allowed to pass the character and ethics portion of the bar, and sit for the academic portion of the exam even if you have a felony. Each state takes it case by case, and they want to look at how much time has passed since the felony, the type and nature of the felony, and what you've done since. Every few years, you'll read a story about a murderer getting approved to sit for the bar. In Illinois, the only felon I'm aware of who wasn't eventually allowed to sit was a prominent and devout member of a white supremacy group. That sort of personal value system is inconsistent with those espoused by state bars.

as the paralegal industry isn't as regulated, it should be easier to get a job as a paralegal with a felony than to get through all the hoops of the character and fitness bar with a felony, but then, with the ICBEX (bar exam commissioners) vetting you before you apply, the converse might be true.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 AM

Ohio as well, I know several paralegals inside and outside of the system. We have one person who also became an attorney here in Ohio. He was originally in cincinnati, and when he made the media news, the cincinnati judges were extremely mad, and basically ran him out of cinci. He has been in columbus since.

Some took Blackstone law school
Old 01-07-2012, 02:39 AM

Default Yes You Can Become A Paralegal With A Felony Record .

Check Out The Paralegal Association Of America .com sites. Many people that have been to prison have spent many years in law libararies studying to get a lesser sentence and to prove their innocence in court .

I notice the site also ha that the site has a area on the bottom of the page where you can get training to become a Legal Researcher .Lexis Nexis and West Law have webinars to learn hwo to use their programs. You can get their free certification but it is unneccesary Id just learn what you can quickly so you cna get a job.

Note that law firms are not into hiring felons . But this is a sure way to become a Certified Paralegal . It look good on a person resume to say they atleast have some type of skill or something to show they have tried to change their character.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:38 PM

Default Paralegal question in California

Hi,

So, you can apply to become a paralegal if you have a criminal felony charge on your records?

Thanks
Tina Morgado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady View Post
I am certified in California.

Patti
Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,235 Posts

My son got his paralegal certificate from Blackstone last year and now he is taking Ashworth correspondence and college courses from the NYS college system that has given some prisoners grants. He is listed as a VO so I don't think he can sit for the exam but not sure.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Convictef felon becoming a paralegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafdgu16 View Post
I read somewhere that a convicted felon became a lawyer and passed the bar I believe in Arizona. Is it possible for someone to become a certified paralegal with a felony? I have a felony charge that I plead no contest to. It was immediately reduced to a misdemeanor and is on its way to becoming expunged/sealed in the state that I got the charge in? I've contacting the certification board and have yet to receive a reply. I have what they call a "wobbler" so I don't know what they expect? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Yes, A convicted felon can become a Paralegal. I have my Paralegal degree. I am now a freelance paralegal. I do alot of cases for inmates (PCR's). I have landed a contract with a lawyer also. You have invaluable experience to offer the in the legal field. I am seeking a pardon so I can attend law school. You can be anything you want, just believe in yourself.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Its possible anywhere to be a paralegal with a background the problem becomes getting a job. You won't be able to jump into big names firms, and DOnT lie r you will be black balled.

I have a background 3 class 6 undesignated felonies for possession of burglary tools, then went to misdemeanors when I completed everything. Ten I applied for a motion to set aside judgement of guilt and vacate charges (closest thing to expungement in ARizona) and now I have no clue what shows up to be honest, but I still greatly fear telling any attorney I know for fear I will be black balled from the industry.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Forgot to add I am a successful paralegal with my associates degree.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM

Is the Blackstone Law Paralegal course certified? Does anyone know the pros and cons of taking the paralegal course from Blackstone????
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Default Felons admitted to the Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen06 View Post
I am certified in California, Louisiana, and Tennessee. If you graduate from an ABA approved college with a BA or AA degree and get certified by passing the PASE exam give by the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) your conviction never comes into play. However, large firms especially firms that do defense work (i.E. insurance defense,etc.) will do a background check so if asked do not lie. A law degree can be held by someone with a felony conviction who graduates law school, however, he or she can not be admitted to the bar of their state, so all they can do is teach at a university or do corporate work. Lastly, most universities will not admit you if you have a felony conviction that is under 10 years old, and the question is on the admission form.
It is not true that a convicted felon cannot be admitted to the bar. It may be harder in some states and impossible for some felonies however, there are many documented felons who have been admitted to the bar in many states. Each case is different.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alshbbs For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-07-2012), yourself (03-07-2012)