Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Sibling

Unhappy Brooklyn MDC

Hello. I have recently been informed that someone I know is going to be placed in the Brooklyn Metropolitan Detention Center.We were hoping for Fort Devens as this facility is much closer and is more in line with the crime committed. Does anybody have any insights about Brooklyn MDC? I can't seem to find too much info and what I have found is not too favorable. Please help as I am at a loss as to where to turn...
Many Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to kabryan For This Useful Post:
Justine1125 (03-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2008, 01:29 AM
This too shall pass

hi my husband has been there for almost 3 months he has no complaints so far only complaint is its takeing a long time to transfer him. If you need any more info dont hesitate to pm me
Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Sibling

Thanks for replying. You state that he is awaiting a transfer, did he know this going in to Brooklyn MDC? When my friend called to get his designation he was told that he would be at MDC - he is still waiting to receive the actual paperwork. There was no mention of an immediate transfer or of a 2nd designation. Besides the BOP website, how can I find out info on MDC?
Many Thanks!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Donation Award 

If your friend is designmated to MDC i must assume it is a short (less than a year) sentence. Sentenced inmates are part of the work cadre and are kept seperate from pre trial and holdover inmates. its bad luck to be designated to an MDC or MCC and he will not have the same type of freedom that a camp affords, however, he will be just fine and get through the experience in one piece.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 AM

Default MDC Brooklyn

MDC Brooklyn is a multi level highrise facility that is split between two buildings. The older of the two buildings is set up as a dormatory style facility and hosts both male and female inmates. The newer building is more of a traditional setting.
MDC is rather well organized and secure with very little incident so if your loved one is there they will be relatively safe. However, this is partly due to the fact that there is little or no movement or recreation for that matter.
Recreation is limited to an indoor recreation area 1 per unit that is for the exclusive use of the inmates of that unit. Choices of recreation is limited to basketball, ping-pong and board games. (What Fun )
If they can deal with TOTAL boredom for the length of time that they are there then they will be just fine.

Hope that this information helps.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM

just recently i got sentence to 24 months and was hoping for the rdap program. i requested fairton or mckean . the other day i found out there putting me in MDC brooklyn under work cadre . i dond understand 1st time non-violent offender i thought i would get a camp.....any feedback would help??????
Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM

I have been with my hunny for 8 years we have a child together.He's been in MDC for almost two years awaiting his sentence. Does anyone know of anyone getting married there? Can anyone get married there?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,094 Posts

I don't think you can get married until your fiance is designated. Also, I have never heard of a wedding at a FDC, but maybe others know more.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:49 PM

My brother in law spent 4 months at the Brooklyn MDC. He said it was safe but boring.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
With God all is possible!

Default 2 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveyE View Post
I have been with my hunny for 8 years we have a child together.He's been in MDC for almost two years awaiting his sentence. Does anyone know of anyone getting married there? Can anyone get married there?
2 years to be sentenced? Wow! My hubby is waiting. He's been there 4 months. I don't think he could spend 2 years there. Says it's boring. Can't wait to be sentenced and transferred out. Only good thing about him being there is that it is conveniently located. Children and I get there easily. I'd rather he be comfortable though.

*By the way, I posted info. on my first visit at MDC for anyone who needs it.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=316388

Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tica1224 View Post
2 years to be sentenced? Wow! My hubby is waiting. He's been there 4 months. I don't think he could spend 2 years there. Says it's boring. Can't wait to be sentenced and transferred out. Only good thing about him being there is that it is conveniently located. Children and I get there easily. I'd rather he be comfortable though.

*By the way, I posted info. on my first visit at MDC for anyone who needs it.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=316388
THANKS FOR RESPONDING AND THE HELP ....DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE WORK CADRE PROGRAM? THEY SAID THAT WHAT IMO GOING TO BE PLACED WITH .
Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 PM

hey buf -

found this originally posted by nywhitecoller back in march:

"The good news is that I'm definitely going to be close to home (NYC). The bad news is that I'm designated to MDC Brooklyn (24 mos, followed by 1 yr Home Confinement). Actually, it ain't that bad. Only minimum security offenders are designated there (the rest of the population are awaiting trial or designation to another facility), and you are automatically designated to work Cadre, which gets you out of the facility every day (M-F). Usually the work is "maintenance" at local federal buildings, parks, monuments, etc. (look for me near the Statue of Liberty.......I'll be the guy cleaning up the sea gull poop!!)."

doesn't sound too bad to be outside the facility but from what i've been told by someone I'm in outpatient with that place sucks compared to camps as far as the living conditions go. he said it was rough not being able to go outside for recreation but i guess being that close to home will be good.

when do you leave?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamassa View Post
hey buf -

found this originally posted by nywhitecoller back in march:

"The good news is that I'm definitely going to be close to home (NYC). The bad news is that I'm designated to MDC Brooklyn (24 mos, followed by 1 yr Home Confinement). Actually, it ain't that bad. Only minimum security offenders are designated there (the rest of the population are awaiting trial or designation to another facility), and you are automatically designated to work Cadre, which gets you out of the facility every day (M-F). Usually the work is "maintenance" at local federal buildings, parks, monuments, etc. (look for me near the Statue of Liberty.......I'll be the guy cleaning up the sea gull poop!!)."

doesn't sound too bad to be outside the facility but from what i've been told by someone I'm in outpatient with that place sucks compared to camps as far as the living conditions go. he said it was rough not being able to go outside for recreation but i guess being that close to home will be good.

when do you leave?
thanks mlamassa ....leaving june 27th
Old 06-19-2008, 12:22 PM

hello everyone
my dad recently went to court and shortly after was transferred to MDC Brooklyn. Can anyone tell me if this means that his time was shorten.
thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Account Closed

My b/f was recently transferred to MDC without notice, however, he's about to finished his 12 year sentence in a few months, I dont understand? is this a good thing or a bad thing that he got transferred like this?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Account Closed

Exclamation Male and Female Hosuing Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymadonna View Post
MDC Brooklyn is a multi level highrise facility that is split between two buildings. The older of the two buildings is set up as a dormatory style facility and hosts both male and female inmates. The newer building is more of a traditional setting.
MDC is rather well organized and secure with very little incident so if your loved one is there they will be relatively safe. However, this is partly due to the fact that there is little or no movement or recreation for that matter.
Recreation is limited to an indoor recreation area 1 per unit that is for the exclusive use of the inmates of that unit. Choices of recreation is limited to basketball, ping-pong and board games. (What Fun )
If they can deal with TOTAL boredom for the length of time that they are there then they will be just fine.

Hope that this information helps.
Are the female and male inmates housed on the same dormitory in this Building?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Federal Probation

Have a friend who was sentenced there for 30 months and nearly flipped his lid. He went there to self-surrender thinking he was going to be transferred and after 6 months in they said he wasn't.

Said it was fairly calm...but very boring and drove him crazy at times for the fact he couldnt see any daylight or goto an outside yard.
And the wisdom to know the difference...
Old 02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Hazel & Coco

Post Hello everyone

Hi everyone,
My name is Hazel, I'm from Yonkers, N.Y. Just turned 21 on Jan 16th yah.. lol Well i just got into a relationship with an inmate name Jose at M.D.C in Brooklyn, Ny. We made it offical on Jan 18th. It's going on sixteen days. He's been in M.D.C for a year now and got one more year to go... countin down the days ... Well one day I was on myspace checking my mail etc.. and I seen his page. So, I liked what I seen and I sent him a friends request to make a story short... his sister sent me a message saying he's locked up and he would love if I write him while he was in jail. I replied back to her the same day and said "yea, sure why not"...Him & I been writing each other for 4 months now... NEVER THOUGHT I WILL BE DATING SOMEONE IN JAIL... But it's going good....

Since, we been writing each other he sent me pics & I do the same. But we all know he can only send me two a year, so of course I send him more... We write each other every 2 to 3 days apart. He also calls me. Last month he almost called me everyday lol... Some days apart & some days he called me 3 times a day Hmmmm..lol I was thinking of to start visting him but not sure I should or just wait for him to come home. What ya Think let me know?

Some of my girlfriends ain't that surportive of me having a relationship with a man in jail But, I try not to listen to all the negative things they say. I believe everything happens for a reason. Him being in my life now, just feels right. lol Everyone knows people make mistakes in life, some get over them and learn to have a better future, and some never learn.

Jose & I just started of having conversations about our future plans and we both want to move in with each other when he gets out next year. Yes, I know it's so soon to be thinking about a future together but, sometimes you have to have those convo's to see how your partner is thinking..Right? "Wish us the best"

Old 02-17-2009, 03:29 AM

My brother has been at Brooklyn MDC for the past 2 years. From what he tells me it is a safe place but just very boring since they do not have many resources there as do actual prisons. In the beginning I would ask him if it was anything like what I see on TV and he laughed. He calmed my nerves and said 1) its Federal 2) that's TV. So please rest assured that your loved one will be safe.

Keep in mind - what does occasionally happen is what's called "locked down." For whatever reason (usually a fight but nothing major) the inmates get locked in meaning they are not allowed to use the phones, tv, etc .... IF ANYONE KNOWS OF THIS CURRENTLY BEING THE SITUATION PLEASE PM ME. I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM MY BROTHER IN 3DAYS AND HE USUALLY CALLS ME ABOUT 3TIMES A DAY. Thanks and Good Luck to all!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 PM
imaneby2

I was in mdc brooklyn cadre program for 19 months from 2009-2011. Ill give you a breif overview of what it was like. Mdc brooklyn is basically a holding / transfer/pretrial facility. Its basically a place where you go while your awaiting trial, or transfering to another facility. I was designated there as part of there cadre program for minimum security prisoners or people that have done most there time and worked there way down. For the most part we were the facility's workforce/laborers for nearly no pay. When you first get into MDC you are placed in Unit G-41 a medical/holding unit until they designate what floor and which building you will be placed in. Here you get your vaccines and go through the process of medical problems and to get afflilated with the feel for the new facilily you are in. Also if your new coming in will get a pin number so you can use the telephones. I was in this unit for 5 days, it took me 4 days to get my pin number for the phone. After G41 you will be assigned to a floor and unit in where you be living for ever how long you are in. The cadre unit was 3 units on the fifth floor made up about between 100-120 inmates in each unit. It took me around 30 days of being in my unit before they gave me a and O which is admission and orientation so i could be assigned a job. This time gave me a chance to see what life inside was about. Jobs could be in the kitchen,maintance,orderly on the floor or sanitation and various other jobs.. Pretty much everyone started in the kitchen and then had to put request in to get transferred to another job. I put multiple request in for 8-10 months before i finally got transferred to electric ( my field of training on the street) so dont give up hope if your stuck in the kitchen keep putting in request forms. The few lucky ones received GATE PASSES which allows a cadre inmate to work outside sometimes or work in dayton manor (officers housing) . While i was there their was only about 25 people in each of the cadre units that had these. Supposedly you only have to be there for 3 months/ with no active detainers or conduct reports and you will get one but it took me 13 months to receive mine. ANd my first time on the real outside was after 15 months of being in and that was only for 5 minutes. Generally most the workers only make 20.00 a month or less which in prison world is really nothing.. so send your people some comissary money.. 400.00 a month they live life real good. But even 10-20 dollars makes a difference to us when were inside.
On the cadre floors we lived in 2 man cell which had a bed, locker, foot locker for under bed toilet and sink. HOnestly the two man cell's were great compared to living in dorms because they gave a place for privacy and relaxing without a bunch of people around you. There were rumours going around for the last 4-5 months i was there that the cadres were being moved into dorms, but as of when i left we were still in the two man cells.
Generally most of the people in the cadre program are short timers meaning 3 years left of there sentance or they received short sentances. For the most part it is safe, there is not alot of discrimanation and if you are a people person or stay out of other people's business you'll be okay. There are usually a couple fights on the cadre floor a year usually over tv or stupid stuff. Just stay out of peoples business and your good. ITs really boring in there, they have 4-5 tv's one is designated news, one sports, one spanish tv, and one general they also have a tv room where the sound is played out loud. If you want to listen to the tv's on the unit you have to buy a little fm radio. Its definitly worth buying if you have more then a month or two to do. They also have a mini library which has probably 2-3 hundred books, generally people that get books sent into them put them into the library once there done reading and it builds up. There is also a religous room, basically every night of the week there is a different congregation in there that can worship freely and watch religous videos. On the main floor of the unit there is also a ping pong table and they have the basic board games that we can use( monopoly,chess,checkers etc etc. Playing cards is big inside) Don't gamble it will only make you get into debt) even if you are good theres people that are better.... getting in debt in prison is a bad thing even in the cadre units.. so dont get into debt. We were able to buy comissary basically every 2-3 weeks and could spend 145.00 each time, basically gives you a taste of home, you can buy coffee,snacks,soda,fish (makeral and tuna are money inside so buy it) can be used for haircuts,bartering etc etc.. we had a decent list of food we can choose from, you can also get good toothpaste,shampoo,toilitries,radio,sweat pants, sneakers,underwear socks etc etc..but 145.00 adds up quick so figure out what you really need for your first comissary.. because its a long 2-3 weeks until the next one. but when you get in ask some people around you what you should buy. it helps believe me also alot of guys in there will help you with an extra blanket or towel or even some basic toiletries.. there not expecting anything in exchange ( dont get worrried) they know what it was like coming in and having nothing. WHen i first got there some guys from the protestant group gave me a welcome bag with much needed stuff that made my transition easier. Again this is in the CADRE FLOOR, pretrials floors are different as they are made up of all kinds of people and charges. im not saying cadres are better then anyone, but life is different everywhere and every prison your in. Phone calls are limited to 300 minutes a month. for me every call i made was long distance so and it cost .23 a mintue. Over 70.00 a month for the phone... You only can call for 15 minutes at a time and then the phone shuts off and you have to wait an hour before calling again. These minutes fly by so use catiuosly eventually you will get acclimaned to use these mintes and have some to spare. i generally made a call every other day and on saturday and sunday and it worked out pretty good. We also installed TRUlink which is a prison email system while i was there. It costs .5 a minute to type out and read emails no limit but make sure you have money in your account for it. THis made my life alot easier when i could just go type out an email to my family and friends and let them know i was good. Again comissary,phone,email all cost money but it is important to us on the inside (phone calls and emails are important to you on the outside) to help save you money you can get a local brooklyn phone number and we can call that and it only costs us .6 a minute instead of .23 a minute.. but remember your family and friends inside with that occasional 20.00 bill it really helps. Life inside takes some getting use to, but acceptance is a big part, you yourself have to realize its only for a time and you will get out. I was with guys that had did over 30 years and they finished in the cadre program. there is a shining light at the end of the tunnel. Its important to keep a good attitude while your inside, it helps you to deal with being there and will help your loved ones as well. True it sucks, but most of us did a crime and this is our punishment so now we gotta man up and deal with the consequence. ( You will get through it) as far as furloughs and stuff while i was there 3 people in 19 months of me being there got a 48 hour furlough and thats after getting lawyers involved and a bunch of hastle on top. They will get your hopes up when the administration talks about it, but in reality its not going to happen. Most people are eligable to go into the halfway house when there close to getting out, i went to luzerne in philadelphia and to me it was a lot better, different rules and different enviroment but you learn to live with it. It seems like they have been giving out more halfway house time, but it really depends on your sentance. As far as the correction officers go, they are pretty good if you respect them they will respect you. Some of the newbie officers will try to act high and mighty but like i said respect what they tell you and they will learn in time what it is. There is a counselor in each unit, generally you will have a meeting with them and prob realistically not talk with them again, its hard to get things done while your inside, medical and dental can sometimes take 1-2 + weeks to get to unless its a grave emergency. As your there you will learn the processes and way of life. good luck you will get through this, Isaiah 26:3-4 says THou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trustest in thee. This verse helped me to stay focused i knew God was in control of the situation and he gave me peace throughout it even in the down times. Families Love your members while there inside prison, dont blame them for there mistakes ( we all have them, some are different then others and some have higher consequences but were all guilty) but love them they need that from you as much as you need it from them. ALso share the love, send them magazine subscriptions,newspapers,books, they all have to be sent from the publishers like amazon or barnes and noble.com. You cant send them directly. Also send them phone money and comissary money, this really helps and is a blessing to them even if its only a little bit. Send hand written letters, i still have a box of letters that was sent to me, one day i will open it again and read them all. really an encouragment while i was in.. Visit them, mdc has an wide open visiting room (you cant bring them anything but they do have vending machines that only take quarters that you can buy them there favorite snacks or soda) bring alot of quarters..lol its expensive.. In the visiting room your are surrounded by inmates and there visitors sitting in the same area. SOme guards will allow you to hold hands, and only give a hug and kiss when coming and going... Visitors are searched coming in... not patted down unless they suspect something but through a metal detectors and what not, the only thing you can bring with you are quarters also dont wear green or orange or khaki colored pants or shirts,shorts,sweats,scrubs,sandles,clothing with rips or immodest clothing. They will ask you to leave ive seen people denied because they were khaki pants, they match the inmate uniforms to close and wont let you in because of security purposes. a safe bet is blue jeans,sneakers and a tshirt.......Okay i guess thats it for now, any questions just reply to this post and i will answer if i can, i hope ive been a help to someone. I know when i went in i could barely find anything on MDC brooklyn and the cadre program. Good luck and God bless.... you can endure anything for a time...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imaneby2 For This Useful Post:
badkarma (06-15-2012), burntbean (04-15-2012), funbag (04-16-2012), Justine1125 (03-06-2013), Only5mos (04-20-2012), Samanthalovesni (04-12-2013), unjustice1 (05-03-2012)
Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 PM

Hi can you tell me how to use this website my fiancé was recently transferred from lewisburg usp to Bklyn cadre mdc. I haven't head good things I don't know where to turn or how to ask questions on this thanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 AM

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 10,502 Times in 6,350 Posts

Decide which federal forum you want to ask your questions in. This one, or possibly "other federal prisons" or wherever you think it fits best. At the top of each forum index page, there is a "new thread" button. When you click it, you will be asked to come up with a title, then type your questions, and hit "post quick reply". To come back to find answers to your question, click on your user name, then "show all statistics" and finally "show all posts by you". A list of links to everything you have ever posted on PTO will appear. Click on one to go to it, and when you are finished, hit your back button on your browser to go back to the list to check another.

Here is an archived PTO thread about that FDC
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=324894

If you do a google search for MDC prison Brooklyn, there are links to other information there too.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
MiniMoose (03-07-2013)