Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Ohio Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Ohio prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Lightbulb Global Tel Link (GTL) Pre Pay Ohio Prison Collect Calls-Economical

Okay loved ones of prisoners in Ohio State Prisons (34 total prisons) : http://www.drc.state.oh.us/web/InstAddr.htm

We are going to use this thread to post your experiences and recommendations about certain phone vendors: Road runner, AT&T, Vonage, Packet 8, Prison Calls Online, Verizon, etc...

***EDITED 04/11/08 - FYI -- YOU MUST ALWAYS SPEAK WITH A GTL REP TO GET YOUR CREDIT IN THE CORRECT DATA BASE. ***

First of all, remember that setting up your phone number (land-line, virtual/wireless, or cell phone, etc...) has nothing to do with setting up your prepay account with GTL. They are seperate entities.

PTO can not decide which phone company is best for you. I'm sure we've all had some good and bad experiences with one or all the companies to choose from. BUT Once you've chosen the company that you'll be using for your phone number. Then you have to call GTL with your new phone number. Remember, GTL want to be certain that you are the responsible party and the name and addresses MATCH.

This is legal and not uncommon. If you were to get a land-line, cell phone, and/or wireless (virtual) phone, with a company such as: Prison Calls Online: http://www.prisoncallsonline.com/, Packet 8 http://www.packet8.net/, Vonage www.vonage.com, AT & T, etc... You need to ask for a line with the same area code, and "prefix" in that same City, as your loved one's prison. That should decrease your connect fees/charges and minutes substantially. I know that Vonage and/or Packet 8, could set you up with a "virtual" phone thru your personal computer. Usually the main requirement is high speed internet/cable/or DSL.

OKAY, once you establish your "working phone number,"

INMATE NEEDS TO ADD YOUR NUMBER TO HIS/HER LIST, THEN CALL IT ONCE:
You'll need to have the inmate add that number on his/her list of calls. THEN, he/she must make an attempt to call that number at least ONCE. As soon as he/she adds you to his/her list, usually within that same hour, you'll get an automated call to that number. It will ask questions, requiring you to press one(1) a couple times and speak in your full name. Stating you are the responsible person to pay for the collect calls. 24 hours after the inmate calls your number. (This is something you two will have to have told each other ahead of time.) You will then NEED to contact the collect server for all State Ohio Prisons, "GTL = Global Tel Link." 1-800-231-0193, to start up your prepay account. Initial start up is minimum of $25. After your account has been set up, you can prepay in $5 increments. I was told that if you use your credit/debit card. It's best to put $25 max at a time, per a call to GTL, to avoid the deposit being taxed.

P.S. THE PURPOSE OF YOU REQUESTING A NUMBER WITH THE SAME AREA CODE AND PREFIX AS THE INSTITUTION, IS TO MINIMIZE YOU EXPENSES. IF YOU CHOOSE THE NEAREST NUMBER, YOUR CALLS COULD COST AS LITTLE AS $1.01 EACH WITHOUT A SURCHARGE OR PER MINUTE RATE.

I do hope this thread is helpful...Please post with advantages and disadvantages with certain companies...Keep in mind, that each one of us must do what's best for ourselves.

Currently, I've been using Vonage virtual phone system. And my ONLY complaint is that although I am paying for the "caller id/wait N' see," I can only see the first number. If another call occurs while I'm on the phone, I can review it to see if I want to talk to the 2nd caller or not Vonage is aware of this problem with their Motorola boxes, and are trying to rectify. My total cost per month with taxes, etc.. is less the $32.00

"...for this too shall pass..."

Last edited by MsChiku; 04-11-2008 at 05:34 AM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsChiku For This Useful Post:
jsgirltnsmom85 (06-05-2008), LyLCieTaS (06-17-2013), nithtmare (05-28-2008), Shydiamond1 (09-30-2011), South Bay (01-04-2009), spicex4 (10-28-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I did have PCO and GTL detected them twice and blocked my phone both times for using a call forwarding service. Once that happened, it took 3 or 4 months for me to get an account to my landline set up. It may not happen like this to everyone, but it very possibly could.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 03-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

All righty folks. For those of you who don't want to deal with a person and want to set up your account with minimum trouble, there is also the advanced pay automated system from Global Tel Link.
The number is 877-650-4249. Just hit 1 for the option to set up a pre-pay account and follow the prompts to pay with a credit or debit card. All they need is the card info and the telephone number.
I helped someone set up an account last night and she opened hers with $50. When all was said and done though, she had $40.25 left after the tax was taken off. I'm setting up one for my self tomorrow and I'll open it with $25 and see what the tax is for that amount and let you know.
This is the easiest account to set up by far.
~James Dean~
The Following User Says Thank You to rottn For This Useful Post:
Carolthiessen (05-07-2013)
Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Closed

Unfortunately, the prepaid only works for the inmates in the county. It won't work for the prison. Atleast not me....
Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

So far, the prepaid thru GTL works for the 34-Prisons listed on ODRC's site, at this time. I posted the link above too: http://www.drc.state.oh.us/web/InstAddr.htm

Old 03-20-2008, 09:56 PM
waiting for my heart

packet8 + GTL prepaid=$1.01 for 15 minutes
Old 03-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I opened a prepaid account with $25 today and it took $4.75 for the fee. I then went back and put $50 more on the account and it didn't take anything else. It looks like it takes a smaller amount to set up when you open with $25 as opposed to $50 for the start up fee.
~James Dean~
Old 03-21-2008, 11:59 PM
God is Good ALL the Time

I don't get the different plans, etc. with GTL. I set up a prepaid account and they've never charged me a .01 cent fee of any sort. After the initial frustration of setting up the account, it's been a breeze. I know I'm blessed <smile> but I just don't get why everyone else has so many problems. <sigh>

God Bless You ALL and Happy Easter !!!

p
i reach for you and find my heart"

OVERTURN THE WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS OF THE LUCASVILLE UPRISING !!!!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 04:32 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I did the automated set up and was lucky enough to have it done in 5 minutes and not talk to a single breathing person. After all the hassle I went through over the summer with them, I'm perfectly happy paying them to have a machine walk me through the process.
~James Dean~
Old 03-22-2008, 05:29 AM
The Future Mrs. W.L.C.

When my fiancee was 4 hours away I had a land line phone and the calls were $6.23, then he moved closer to home and thought my calls would be significantly cheaper bit they weren't. He is now only one hour away and the calls are $5.93 and I was so mad So since Global Tel tells you that your calls will be cheaper if you set up a prepaid account, that's what I did and guess what? the calls are now $5.18 But after reading this, I'm gonna try to get a number with the same prefix as the prison I pray that it works because this phone bll is hurtin my pockets in the worst way. Thank you and I will let you know if it works for me.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Exclamation Automated charges $4.75 per each $25 placed without speaking to a REP!

Goodmorning, Rottn - I called the other "automated" line: 1-877-372-4330. Pressed 1 for english, 1 for setting up, etc... I put the 1st $25, and was told it would take up to 24hrs to register. Immediately afterwards the recorded message stated my total balance on acct. was $20.25 (less $4.75 service charge). Then I called back and put another $50 on same acct. it immediately said that my balance was $70.25

Leaving me with assumption that if you put the lesser amount on the acct 1st you save money by adding the add'l money on the same day.... BUT me being "suspicious" of GTL, for good reasons! I hung up, and called GTL automated line, right back. This time, I pressed the number JUST for my prepay balance. And it said my balance was $60.75. Although I actually put $75 on the prepay account this morning. That means it's a charge of $4.75 per each $25 placed on the account using the automated line. A total of $14.25 (is what I paid NOT to talk to a GTL Rep!) INSANE.

Rottn - You should call that automated line and see if the update shows that in fact, you have been charged $4.75 for every $25 payment??? Once again, I shouldn't be surprised that GTL is a freakin' rip off!

I'll chalk it up as $14.25 fee for a LESSON This puts a NEW twist on "OUR TIME" being valuable It cost me $14.25 to not be frustrated with a REP that you can hardly understand and/or wait while they ask you a million questions

I called the other GTL number (regular line to speak with GTL Rep for questions and paying on prepay--with USUALLY long wait time!) 1-800-231-0193 & 1-877-372-4330- --recording states, "closed" hours are 8am thru 11pm est. Mon - Fri

So, with all that said, it may or may not be to your advantage to get the money on the account between Mon - Fri with the slow as molasses GTL REP! Personally, I would ONLY use the AUTOMATED as a last resort. Because I'm cheap and secondly, that charge can go towards more calls <--- Trust me, I laugh to keep from crying

Keep the EXPERIENCES coming Ohioans

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsChiku For This Useful Post:
Shydiamond1 (09-30-2011), South Bay (01-04-2009)
Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
God is Good ALL the Time

'Brena, as I think I said somewhere before, I usually call at 8:15 ... 8:30 a.m. DST and usually don't have to wait at all.

God Bless You ...

p
i reach for you and find my heart"

OVERTURN THE WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS OF THE LUCASVILLE UPRISING !!!!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Hi Peaches, Yes I remember you mentioning a certain time that you call and it's "no waiting or reasonable delay." Count your blessings Anyway, it's not just the waiting, it's the incompetance, questions, descrepancies in what the Rep tells you (lies), and even after you've patiently waited to get a "person" that Rep ask you to please hold while I try to bring up your account info And he/she knows darn well after all that keying in info, questions, etc.. THEY ALREADY HAVE THE ACCOUNT INFO!"

Did you mean EST-Eastern Standard Time? So now that you've given your time to call, I suppose that'll be another rush hour and cause you to have long "hold times." I pray not.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Global Tel Rip-Off

For all of you who are having trouble with Global Tel there is a web site that is set up for companies that Rip-Off consumers. I went there and did a search for Global Tel and you would not believe some of the stuff i read about them...well, you probably would because if you are like me you have experienced some of the same things.
But if you have had a problem with them, please visit this web site and file a report against them. Who knows, if enough of us report them maybe the government will be forced to do something about their outragous rates and over charging.
God Bless You All,
Nancy~
http://www.ripoffreport.com/default.asp
Old 03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Thank you for the site regarding "rip off report." It's unfortunate that ONE company can legally monopolize Ohio Prison phone systems!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Thumbs up Confirmed Weekend phone # for GTL, Even TODAY Easter Sunday!

As courtesy from (((MrsShamrock))) she retrieved another phone number from GTL's Website. Specifically for WEEKEND calls... (I just got off the phone with a GTL Rep. SHe confirmed how much I had on my account balance. I pressed #1 for English, and then pressed#4 to speak with a Rep, )I would think that it may even work on regular weekdays. BUT it's nice to have a working WEEKEND number that offers to call you back In any case, I copied the post here too:

Mrs.Shamrock

HHHHIIIIII Sorry I didn't mention the number here it is.

Like I said before though when I called the 800-231-0193 number I got the recording that they were closed. The other number is the one listed on the GTL website. Now granted I have only gotten one call today, had to work late and he hates calling when I am busy at work. So, I will keep ya'll posted if we don't have any calls tomorrow!!! If not my payment is probaby somewhere in never never land!! haha!! Crazy but I can still laugh at all this. Guess we have to huh!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Sabrena-I just checked my balance and it's $70.25. It only took the $4.25 from me. They must randomly hit and miss.
~James Dean~
Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Donation Award 

Okay the taking the $4.25 is on the automated pay thing? Call me crazy but I am a little confused. I only have pre-pay so I have to talk to a real person. But if you do the auto thing they take a fee from you? Sorry for my confusion just wanted to know for future reference!!! thanks Mrs.S

Old 03-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Rottn - I don't know what GTL's game is BUT I just got off the phone with the above weekend number: 877.650.4249 and the GTL Rep confirmed again that my balance is $60.75 (less $4.75 each $25 paid on the automated system ) When I actually paid $25, and then on same day paid an add'l $50, totalling $75. Less $14.25. I'm NEVER lucky when it comes to "hit or miss, or crossing my fingers." I guess we live and learn

MrsS - I had already (previously) set up a prepay account, with a GTL Rep. Using phone#800-231-0193. So my phone number was already established. I was testing the fact that we can put money on our accounts without speaking and/or HOLDING for a GTL Rep. Unfortunately, the cost is $4.75 deducted per each $25 you put on your prepay account, IF you use the AUTOMATED ph# and never speak to a GTL Rep. It's a matter of what your time and frustration is worth. The recording does remind you that the cost is $4.75 deduction, etc...

To sum it up, if you don't have the time and the charge doesn't matter, then the Automated system is worth the charges.

BUT if you already have your prepay account set up, and money is an issue, call and speak to a GTL Rep, so that there will be no add'l charges and/or deductions on the amounts you pay/deposit onto your prepay account.

Basically, it's "to each his/her own."

Last edited by MsChiku; 03-23-2008 at 09:23 AM..
Old 03-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Exclamation Okay Breakdown of GTL phone numbers...

so far, here's the breakdown of phone numbers: edited 3/25/2008

1-800-231-0193 Regular GTL number, usually LONG waits/holds

1-877-650-4249 Weekend phone number (do NOT use for OHIO PRePay INMATE CALLs)<--wrong account!

1-877-372-4330 Automated set up/prepayment BUT cost is $4.75 for ea. $25 (you must press (1) then key in the phone # first, THEN A RECORDING WILL SAY, "YOU HAVE A PREPAY ACCOUNT...." IF THE RECORDING DOESN'T GIVE YOU AN ACTUAL GTL REP, YOU ARE NOT IN THE RIGHT DEPT.) ***thanks Peaches *** updated 3/25/08 6:10pm

Let me know if any other phone numbers. OR if I typed wrong

Last edited by MsChiku; 03-25-2008 at 04:10 PM..
Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Closed

Hello,
Well i have been doing the prepaid with my cell phone for a over a yr now. Now when I call the 877-650-4249 and press option 1 for english and then option 1 for prepaid it takes me to the automated system. I tried this after reading a couple of the other treads, I put my number in and I says that I do not have an account setup. I do have account setup for prepaid, but I'm thinking if it's too different systems? Prepaid is Prepaid right. I have to always call the 800-231 or 877-650 number whenever I want to add funds. I always ask the representative and they always tell me that I will have to call in everytime...

Last edited by Danielswife; 03-23-2008 at 10:29 PM..
Old 03-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

Default Yes, same GTL Company BUT Different departments....

I just got off the phone with GTL regular ph# 1-800-231-0193-- she told me I ONLY have a 0.85 cent balance on my acct. (Alarmes go off BECAUSE I just put $75 on the automated line Saturday!) Anyway, I get to thinking that's why there's so much descrepancy with the info we get for calling ALL the different phone numbers!

I explained what I had done over the weekend, with automated/weeked ph# 1-877-650-4249, and should have a $60.75 balance towards my number. She advised me to call back that same phone number, tell the GTL Rep to transfer that money over to my already establish prepay acct. she gave me my acct.# (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Okay, I called the 1-877-650-4249 and "due to extreme call volumes" they will return my call within two hours! And that I should not call back before I receive that callback to avoid any delays in GTL being able to return my call.

So to answer (((DanielsWife))) question, YES, they are seperate departments BUT same company. And if you want to keep everything kosher, you'll need to call the 1-800-231-0193 each time, speak with a GTL Rep, get a confirmation/reference# to add on to Prepaid Accounts that were set up by an ACTUAL person. There are obviously two types of prepay accounts: #(1) 1-800-231-0193-must speak with a GTL Rep (account updated within 4hrs.) #(2) Automated--no REP required. Put money on the phone number $4.75-charge per each $25 payment/deposit (account updated within 24hrs?) <---however, it's been more than 48 hrs. and my balance still isn't updated!

Therefore, it's a matter of me having both departments put my payments/deposits on the ONE phone number and/or account number! Lord have mercy!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

I was on the phone last night with GTL until 11:10pm. They then informed me that I could call back because nobody could take my call as it was after hours. I was trying to get the block lifted off my cell phone for 2 hours.
The girl told me that even though I had plenty of money in my account, it was not the right account. She couldn't transfer it, only a supervisor could. Then I waited until they turned the lights out on me. I used their main number 866-230-7761. Same prompts, etc... Just did everything quicker for me.
I called this morning and they had a supervisor transfer my funds, set up a prepay account, and the block was lifted. All within 30 minutes. They then told me to call the 800-231 number to add funds from now on. Simple as that.
~James Dean~
Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Prayerful Ohio Member
Donation Award 

(((rottn))) OMG girl! I reviewed my withdrawals "online" and all of my payments/deposits on my prepay account said the same thing "GTL*INMATE TEL SVC GTL*INMATE TEL SVC 866-2307761 AL" even though I called on Both the AUTOMATED 1-877-372-4330 payment without a Rep. And with a Rep. So they still full of BS! in my opinion.

The Rep at GTL with that 1-800-231-0193 to me too that a Supervisor has to transfer my money over to the prepay acct. and that she would block my number in the future from paying on the wrong acct!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Hey, look at it this way~~~if the wrong account is blocked, we won't have to worry about waiting for our money to catch up with us anymore. That's the ONLY good thing I see coming out of this one!!
~James Dean~