Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TDCJ - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

TDCJ - What You Need to Know Whatever you need to know about the Texas Department of Criminal Justice can probably be found here!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Inmate Classification at Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ)

I'm aware of what each custody level is, etc. but is there a way to figure out what classification/custody level an exact inmate is classified as? I know how to find the person online and have already done so but it didn't what his exact classification is. Anyone know how to find out?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,967 Posts

I was able to call the unit that Robin was at and find out. Since then I have just known from talking to her. We were not married at the time but I was on her visitation list, if that mattered, but I asked the question and they told me. If he has just gone in then I can tell you that it would be a very unusual case for him to enter as anything other than G2. If he has been inside for a while and you just don't know then you will have to either call or have him tell you himself.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:52 PM

I think they put it on the printouts that they give you when you go to visit, although sometimes the ink is pretty light to try and read.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:15 AM

Yes, it is on the printouts they give you at visitation, but if you call the unit they will usually tell you.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,273 Times in 643 Posts

The inmate can tell you right off. If they forget anything in life, once in the inside, he/she WILL know their TDC number and class- -what others have written is true, it is on the upper right hand corner of the visitation slip, if the unit gives you one, some units don't. He/she is classified by what crime sentence they are doing, plus what they do on the inside to help/hurt themselves; (attitude). All inmates, do NOT go in as a G-2- -I think a post might have gotten that information mixed up some where. One can call Huntsville and talk to a person and asked them, it is on all computers with information, public information I might add, but you need their TDC number to do that. Hope this helps you.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 PM

I looked on the visitation slip this past weekend and did not see her custody level. I see some alphanumeric character string in the upper right hand corner like K312, for example, that is not a wing/room designation even though I think that it says housing next to it. Perhaps someone familiar with the unit or an employee would know what that means but unless I just missed it the designation "G2", which would be something that I could understand for Robin, was nowhere on the sheet. I'll look again next weekend in case I did just miss it.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM

It was always on the upper right hand corner.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Ok, I verified it this week. Robins custody level is nowhere on the visitation slip. Her good time earning status is there but not custody level and the good time earning status is nowhere close to the upper right. More like middle left. What is near the upper right (depending upon printer adjustment) is something labled as "Housing" which, for Robin, has J312. She is not in "J" wing and there is no three story buildings at Hobby for there to even be a cell number 312. Besides, that is just not where she lives and isn't a custody level anyway. Her "Housing" designation is also on her commissary receipts, I noticed. Nothing but FYI.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:15 PM

So, is Line 1, G2 a good place to be? And where can they go from there?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 AM

L1, G2 is where almost every offender starts out and is normal line class and custody level. From Line Class 1 they can move up to SAT (four levels). From custody level G2 they can move to G1 but that only happens if they make outside trusty. Here are the good time earning classifications and the good time that the earn for each.

……….…Flat time…..Good time….Diligent Participation.….Max goodtime
LC3……30 days………..0 days….…..…0 days….………………...….0 days
LC2…...30 days……..10 days………..15 days…..…………………25 days
LC1…...30 days……..20 days………..15 days….….……………..35 days
SAT4….30 days….….25 days………..15 days…….………….…..40 days
SAT3...30 days….….30 days………..15 days…….………….…..45 days
SAT2….30 days….….30 days………..15 days……….……….…..45 days
SAT1...30 days….….30 days………..15 days………….…….…..45 days

LC1, 2 and 3 is Line Class 1, 2 and 3

Last edited by RobinsMan; 03-31-2008 at 07:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinsMan For This Useful Post:
KennyKamm (10-12-2008)
Old 03-31-2008, 05:09 PM

How long does it take them to move up? He's been in 6 months. Just got to his permanate unit. Thanks for the Information.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM

They can move up in line class as often as every six months and from what I've seen I would expect him to do that pretty soon if he hasn't had any discipline problems. Robin had been inside just about six months when she was transferred from Plane, where she went through intake, to Hobby and they moved her from LC1 to SAT3. I think that SAT2 or lower is tied with custody level G1. So, once they get to SAT3 (or, just S3 for short) thats where they may stay the rest of their time unless they make trusty.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 03-31-2008 at 05:22 PM..
Old 04-12-2008, 05:37 PM

Robinsman - I'm having trouble understanding all this. You've got

Flat time…..Good time….Diligent Participation.….Max goodtime

They are pretty much the same days -- Can you please explain it to me. Also my son says something about FI-1.. Do you know what all that's about? He's been saying this FI-1 for along as I can remember. He's really doing some wishful thinking in there maybe -- but we'll see.

Also does anyone know about the G.I. (gang intellegence)? Apparently my son had to go see them this last week.

Also does anyone know about setting up an appointment for visitation? I'm really wanting to know how often this type of visitation is done -- once a month or what.

Thanks Guys
The Following User Says Thank You to mopitup For This Useful Post:
MzJesseJames (06-11-2013)
Old 04-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Flat time is the stated sentence. If you are given a 10 year sentence...flat time is serving the full 10 years.

Good time is on paper. Currently, it doesn't count for anything in Texas because they don't have to consider it for parole. Inmates who work jobs for the unit, for example, can earn good time. It will show on their time sheet, but doesn't necessarily equate to an earlier release date.

My hubby got an FI -1. It is the one with the earliest release of "within 45 days".
Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Flat time in the chart means calander days. Diligent participation credit is the same as good time and can be earned as long as they are diligently participating in work, class, programs, etc. Looking at he chart I posted what it says for a person that is Line Class 1 (LC1) is that for every 30 days they are in prison (flat time) they can earn up to 35 days of good time, which is the max of 20 days of good time and 15 days of diligent participation credit. Once they his SAT3 there is no additional good time earned for increasing good time earning status and what all the differenced are between them all besides that I don't know.

What good time is used for in Texas is calculating the eligiblity dates for parole and release to mandatory superivsion. Some inmates, because of their offense, are not eligible for release to mandatory superivsion at all and good time is not applied to their parole eligiblity date ... and some are in for life without parole. In those cases good time really does count for nothing. All others will reach their eligiblity dates in less that half the time required as long as they stay out of trouble and earn all the good time that they can. Of course, just being eligible for parole has nothing to do with whether the parole board will actually grant parole when they come up for it.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 04-14-2008 at 08:36 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinsMan For This Useful Post:
Bchace74 (10-15-2008)
Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Texas Member
Donation Award 

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question.

Let's say Joe Blow goes into TDCJ as LC1(I hope this is the right level to go in) with a 10 year sentence.
He has a PED date 1 year later and a PRD date 4 1/2 years later.

He is a good boy and 6 months after getting in, (180 days)he moves up a line class. If I am figuring it right (by the chart above) he should have 450 days (15 months) credit at this point.
When they do the recalculation, does the "new" good time credit calculations start from the date of the line class review (thus leaving the previous credit days alone) or is all of his time figured at the new line class level? (this assumes he stays out of trouble and does not lose good time with a case)

I don't know if I am making sense, but figuring time gives me a headache.

I thought it would be a good problem to figure for an excel course that I am taking. EEHH.... Why did I pick this?

"But seek first His kingdom and his rightiousness, and all these things will be given unto you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry abut itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34
Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM

At LC1 he can earn 35 days of good time for every 30 days (one month). So, after 6 months he will have 6x35=210 days of good time. Added to his 180 days that gives 390 days total. When he changes line class he begins earning at a higher rate at that time and his previously accrued good time stays as it is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobinsMan For This Useful Post:
GirlGina (11-06-2008), GraysonMom (10-13-2008)
Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Texas Member
Donation Award 

After about 12, I thought that was how it works, but I was looking cross eyed.

Thanks for the clarification.

"But seek first His kingdom and his rightiousness, and all these things will be given unto you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry abut itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34
Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM

There is a number you can call and ask what their classification is: 936-437-6231. I knew before my hubby did that he had gotten his S2. He is now working off the unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to tkn2dalimit For This Useful Post:
GirlGina (11-06-2008)
Old 10-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsMan View Post
Flat time in the chart means calander days. Diligent participation credit is the same as good time and can be earned as long as they are diligently participating in work, class, programs, etc. Looking at he chart I posted what it says for a person that is Line Class 1 (LC1) is that for every 30 days they are in prison (flat time) they can earn up to 35 days of good time, which is the max of 20 days of good time and 15 days of diligent participation credit. Once they his SAT3 there is no additional good time earned for increasing good time earning status and what all the differenced are between them all besides that I don't know.

What good time is used for in Texas is calculating the eligiblity dates for parole and release to mandatory superivsion. Some inmates, because of their offense, are not eligible for release to mandatory superivsion at all and good time is not applied to their parole eligiblity date ... and some are in for life without parole. In those cases good time really does count for nothing. All others will reach their eligiblity dates in less that half the time required as long as they stay out of trouble and earn all the good time that they can. Of course, just being eligible for parole has nothing to do with whether the parole board will actually grant parole when they come up for it.
Ok I know u posted this a long time ago but my husband has just gotten S3 so what exactly does that mean cuz he comes up for parole in april will that look good to the parole board or what? Because he has a 10yr sentence and he's done 7 1/2 yrs already so I'm just trying to get a better understanding. I have his timesheet from last yr but I dont really understand that either.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,236 Posts

Sorry but unless he's a model inmate, he won't make parole. My husband is serving an 8-10, went up for his first parole after obtaining a GED, and many program certificates, and he was denied. It's very rare they have a chance at getting it the first time on longer sentences...Especially if the crime was violent.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 PM

Well this is his last time coming up for parole not his 1st
Old 10-10-2010, 07:27 PM

Robinsman states they can move up every 6 months. My bf's mother checked on her son and he has never moved up in 1 1/2 years. HSV said he should have been because he had only 1 minor infraction but the unit says they don't have to move him up. Can this affect their parole?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:28 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,927 Times in 3,178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Plum View Post
Robinsman states they can move up every 6 months. My bf's mother checked on her son and he has never moved up in 1 1/2 years. HSV said he should have been because he had only 1 minor infraction but the unit says they don't have to move him up. Can this affect their parole?
Yes, they CAN move up every six months, but like parole, they have to earn it. And I hate to tell you this, but it is the unit's decision. The place my man was at refused to move him up even though he didn't get any cases. They said they just don't do that. So, yes, it can affect his parole. Mine had to stay until his PRD.

This next part is my opinion alone. My man was at a private run facility. I believe the private prison wanted to keep as many inmates as possible until their PRDs so that the private prison could get as much money from the state as possible. I believe that's why they wouldn't move my man up even though he was eligible and probably would have been moved up if he were at a regular TDC unit. -- But I'm cynical, too!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Good luck!