Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Default What's life like in Juvenile detention

Say a 14 year old boy commits a serious crime, like murder, and is sent to Juvenile detention. What happens? How does the intake go? Is he stripped? Does he wear prison orange? What about footwear? Does he room with others or by himself? His daily schedule? What clothing and footwear can he have in his cell? Is he in danger of being beaten and raped if he is physically weak? Are visits behind the glass?

PS, my friend may be in for some juvie (not for murder) and I want to know as many details as possible.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2008, 12:45 AM

Well, it's been many years since I had my stay(s) in juvenile detention. In juvenile lock-up, I was able to wear my regular clothing. I wasn't allowed to have any personal items at all. I was able to have a few magazines...but that was pretty much it.
In the detention housing units...it was like Army style barrick's. Concrete block buildings...with cots lined up. Again, we could wear street clothing. I remember vividly another female juvenile getting into it with a staff member...beating her head into the wall! An ambulance had to be called & the staff member was taken to the hospital. Not meaning to scare you...just a memory that really sticks out in my mind. We were also able to have contact visits.
I didn't stay there long before I was transferred to a girls residential home. That was a MUCH better place...a regular house (although structured). Now that was 23 yrs. ago (yikes I'm getting old!). I'm sure things have changed ALOT since then. I had to go pick up my friend's son at the juvenile detention center after a school fight. While I was waiting I saw several kids wearing jumpsuits. I'm sure someone who will have more knowledge will come along soon. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Last edited by Suthrndreamgirl; 01-05-2008 at 12:47 AM..
Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 AM

i work at a juvenile hall in california. for what we do.... the kid comes in, if weapons were involved they need to be strip searched, if not then they get pat searched, we issue them clothes, they can wear nothiing of their own, shoes do not have laces and the kids stay in cells. some kids have roomates but if they are in for a violent crime they live by themselves. as for visiting , the only people who can visit are parents/ legal gardians and grandparents noone else. they get 3 meals a day and 2 snacks, one hour of PE and they go to school. other thasn that not too much

November08-- this nightmare will b over
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to furfur For This Useful Post:
4miBuddy (11-18-2012), kevinmom (06-06-2012)
Old 01-05-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm his ride or die

It depends on the state. In Maryland, they are searched and showered. I think visits are contact but the facility is behind barbed wire.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:20 AM

Man...things sure have changed! But think about it, juveniles are commiting crimes these days that you didn't hear of (or even imagine) out of a juvenile back in "the day". Also, they're being charged (as well as treated) as adults. I know the crimes are increasing (as well as the magnitude & severity)...but these are still kids! So sad. I had read where the male brain isn't even fully developed until the age of 19.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Missing my dad & brother

I know this is an old post but I wanted to post my experience in case others look for this information as well.

Clothing-
I wore scrubs and flip flops for the cell/pod
Grey sweatshirt, Kacki shorts for Rec

Housing-
I was in a concrete cell (about 10x10) which had a bed, toliet/sink, and a small rack for my books.

My second detention center also had a desk/chair built on the wall, and the room was smaller as well. There was a small window on the door, but it was covered on the girls doors. I was the only girl in the building. There was also an intercom button on the wall.

The cells were private, except for one cell which housed 2 - this was used for someone with a disability that might need help.

Meals-
Decent size, and to drink you got kool-aid or tea.

School-
We had 4 hours of school a day, plus 30 minutes of rec.

Misc. -
We took showers in the evening, and our beds couldn't have a wrinkle on them. We were not allowed to talk about offenses, or life outside. We had to write someone everyday.

I was in McCracken Co. KY and Warren Co. KY

Now a penpal to the best! Know someone who needs a penpal? PM me and let me know :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Indiana_Girl For This Useful Post:
Jules966 (08-20-2009)
Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furfur View Post
i work at a juvenile hall in california. for what we do.... the kid comes in, if weapons were involved they need to be strip searched, if not then they get pat searched, we issue them clothes, they can wear nothiing of their own, shoes do not have laces and the kids stay in cells. some kids have roomates but if they are in for a violent crime they live by themselves. as for visiting , the only people who can visit are parents/ legal gardians and grandparents noone else. they get 3 meals a day and 2 snacks, one hour of PE and they go to school. other thasn that not too much
With my boyfriend, that is all happening, but it's not just parents/legal guardians and grandparents.. with him, I (his girlfriend) can visit, and so can his sister..
Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM

my nephew was just sent to juvenile for robbery for 6 months in Maryland, and I want to write to him, nhe will be 18 the end of the month, I am not at all familiar with how anything works with this, and want to know all that you can tell me about what life will be like for him, he already graduated from school this past June are there any education opportunities there for him, what can I send to him what can I not send to him, please tell me anything you can about this for me . thank you
Old 08-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Missin' him always...
Donation Award 

i work in detention and they wear scrubs, not allowed to have their shoes unless they go to school, they can only wear street clothes to school scrubs must be worn all other times
they have roommates depending on the crime and the only visitors they can have are people like immediate family and legal officials
Old 12-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Default Indiana

I actually worked for and was an inmate of the Correctional management company lol (muncie, kokomo, an ladoga) here in indiana, I sepnt 90 days incarcariated for the same bad deceisions made at 16, once I turned 21 I wanted to make some use of my experiences and make some type of difference. So far this is what I remember, and this goes from the extreme muncie (which is indiana's scare tractic for kids i think).

1. Offender is brought in shacks/cuffs out of van, places head against the wall those are removed.
2. Inmate is strip searched/ deloused (DO not I repeat DO not get this stuff in your eye!)
3. Inmate is issued first set of close, and given a quick check list of all rules. It is stressed that this is a "Hands On Facility" by this they mean if you do not listen they will physically force you to listen.
4.Inmates are then given a sell or a dorm anywhere from 12-30 inmates per dorm chosen by crime defender has had.
5. They are allowed to go to school 4 hours a day, and "30 minutes" of phyisical exertion a day militarty type pt.
6.Your first two weeks will be spent in that order, all down time will be spent reading and memmorising all the rules, once you have done that you can get a book to read instead.

I dont know, it sucks really bad they cant talk at all except to staff, and then only if given permission. If you act up at all for anything it's a take down and then a solitary cell for up to 48 hours. Some of this might have changed in last couple of years, but i doubt it. Friend say's ladoga is still ran in pretty similar manner.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:55 PM

I remember reading an article about a juvenile detention center in the States years ago in a magazine here in Canada. I noticed on one of the pictures that all of the incarcerated offenders were in orange scrubs and white socks. But none of them had any shoes on. Are they not allowed to wear shoes inside the facility?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM

rupert81 it really depends on the facility. I know the one I was in, we were allowed to wear sneakers whenever we were out of our cells, however we had to take them off before entering the cell... Don't know if they were worried we would hang ourselves or something like that.
and sometimes
the things that I say
Dont come out right
But I know that this is just a part of me.

GO BUCS! Gotta make it to the SUPER BOWL!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
waiting for daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bythecliff View Post
Say a 14 year old boy commits a serious crime, like murder, and is sent to Juvenile detention. What happens? How does the intake go? Is he stripped? Does he wear prison orange? What about footwear? Does he room with others or by himself? His daily schedule? What clothing and footwear can he have in his cell? Is he in danger of being beaten and raped if he is physically weak? Are visits behind the glass?

PS, my friend may be in for some juvie (not for murder) and I want to know as many details as possible.

thanks
I have had my share of visits to detention when i was younger. Im sure every state varies. I went to one in va. There when we first go in we get stripped searched and have to take a shower. We didnt get to keep anything but our shoes if they were sneakers. Girls were grey sweats and boys wear black. everyone has there on room. before you go in the room you have to take off your shoes and sweat pants. you keep on your shorts and everything else. Visits were in an open room you sit at a table across from each other. the only time fights happened is if it was gang related or they had problems with someone on the street. i hope this helps
4miBuddy (11-18-2012)
Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bythecliff View Post

thanks
youre processed,you take a shower while a co watches you,get a 1 piece orange jumpsuit,slippers,and a sweat shirt.i was in cell B4 both times i went once in O4 (overflow).its cold,lots of shit written on the walls talking about women,Jesus,and racist shit.you take a button off your jumpsuit and use it to write with,thats why barely any of the jumpsuits have all their buttons.you wait,and wait.the only connection to the outside world is a small 5 inch wide window and all you can see is a barbed wire fence 15 foot high,and a few clouds maybe.you sit with your own kind like in real jail,whites,blacks.most of the inmates i met there were good guys,easy to get along with.the day after i got there both times,i went to get a physical and then go to a waiting room to go to court.the second time in,i was waiting to go to court and a black kid came bursting through the doors from court,screaming with 3 cos after him.a cop had to hit him with his billy club and take him to his cell for 48 hour lockdown.the court is connected to the jail so you just walk down a long hall and youre there.when i got released,it was like i was a new person.clear blue skies,birds chirping,putting back on my t-shirt and blue jeans,getting back my necklace and wallet.i had a big smile on my face the whole time i was in the process of being released.anyways,you go to breakfast,lunch and dinner.school is right after lunch,and all you do is watch a movie like lockdown or 3 strikes for 2 hours.they bring the girls in and have them sit up front of the classroom.the first time i was there,i had to get used to the system,eat all your food (DO NOT leave any on your tray)i left a bananna on mine and had to eat it.i put my jumpsuit on backwards once.you dont tell certain people what you did to get in there.but my second time in i was accustom to the system,i knew what to do,who to talk to and who to stay away from,what cos were cool and which werent.i still think about it to this day.i kind of miss it,but i dont want to go back.its stuck in my head,it can drive you crazy.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM

and we couldnt have any personal items except for a bible,except for one kid who snuck a spork into his cell by hiding it in his underwear.the only entertainment we had was wetting toilet paper and rolling it into a ball then sticking it to the ceiling
Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 PM

i was looking back at what i wrote and i realized i left a few things out.like why the kid was running through the doors screaming.he was sentenced to a few years,not sure how many,and that can make you do things you normally wouldnt.when you go to court,they treat you like a dog.cuffs on your feet,on your hands,and the first time like this you almost fall on your face.back in juvie,you never know what time it is.you go to bed whenever you want,the light in your cell stays on all night.the bed is concrete with a thin mattress,sheet and blanket and pillow.people yell back and forth between cells all night and day,so its hard to sleep sometimes.you get a haircut once a month.we had no excercise what so ever except for doing push ups and crunches in your cell.i had a cellie my first time in and i slept with one eye open to make sure he didnt try anything,and he too slept with one eye open.the main rule is dont let anybody fuck with you or they wont stop.you learn alot of this stuff from people who have been there for years.stick to your race!it doesnt matter who you were on the outside.in there youre either black or white and thats it.i had a mixed cell mate and he was real cool,we talked in the cell,but when we stepped outside the cell we didnt even look at eachother.he would get up and go to the window every 20 minuites and pray.juvie may not be adult jail,but its the same concept,you eat,sleep,shit and watch a little tv.thats it.you grow up fast in there.ive seen what a few months can do to someone in there.i cant remember his name,but he was there both times i was.his eyes were empty,his family didnt want anything to do with him.you see some messed up stuff in there.if its your first time,unless its for murder you will probably be in for a day or two.all depends on your record and your judge.i can tell you,you miss the little things in there.the family dog,your watch,trees,the sun.there is no better feeling on God's green earth than when you step outside those doors without shackles on and smell the fresh air,see the outside world.when i was in for my second time,i was sitting in my cell in overflow at 11pm thinking "what the fuck am i doing here?i fucked up again."i decided to make a change,stop being so quick to anger and violence,hang out with better crowds,stop doing drugs.it took me two times being arrested before i saw the truth,what really matters,family,freedom.thats why i left there feeling like a new person.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:59 PM

also the food was pretty good in juvie.for breakfast orange juice,corn flakes,oat meal and a piece of bread.lunch:kool aid,jello,a bananna,and the main course.i was in on valentines day once and we had cake,little hearts with the valentines shit on them,and fried chicken.just cause you walk,breathe,shit,and sleep like a animal,doesnt mean you gotta eat like one.if only we were aloud visitation or excercise it would have been alot easier.we NEVER went outside unless you were going home or being transfered to adult prison.

Last edited by jail_bird07; 04-15-2010 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: fucked up
Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 AM

I stayed three times at the Juvenile detention centre and I made a lot of new friends.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:14 PM

ok i have to corect one thing that was siad the brain dose not mucher at 19 it hits the full gorwths at the age of 25 if you dont belive me my dads a va nuse and works intevs care and my step mom is er nuse in same va so i not just saying this but who knows back then they may have thout that now i never ben to jvey or prison thank god but i hear it realy dose vary state to state but from what i read it a lot like a small vershion of grown up prison but with more hope in helping the kids rather then warhouseing agan thats state to state hope your frends going to be ok in thare i send my best wishes to him or her
Old 07-06-2011, 03:30 AM

I spent a few months in juvie, and it's not something you want to do. I was strip searched and given orange and white striped scrubs with orange boxers and socks, and sandals. I had a cellmate and we became friends. We spent most of the day in a cell, the rest at PE, school, and short meals. They kept us shackled most of the time out of the cell.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM

Default juvie

what did yall do to get sent to juvie
Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM

hey man i was thinkin one of my friends did something with this girl and he is goin to juvie what it it goin to be like for him because he'es under being a sex affender
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,983 Times in 10,455 Posts

tell him to shut up about what he's in there for.Dont ask, dont tell.
keep your business to yourself.

There is a nap for that

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
kevinmom (06-06-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furfur
Yes that is juvie in cali for you my last stay was about two years ago I got out and found out I was prego so life changed for me.

Doing time with my inmate
The Following User Says Thank You to CricketsWifey For This Useful Post:
kevinmom (06-06-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 01:05 PM

Yeah cali juvie is no joke. One of my sons friends who is second family to us has been there now for 9 months. Yes everything furfur says is true. I also had my sons cousin go to juvy in california unrelated 3 yers ago and thank god he only served 3 months but yeah it was enough for him to never go back. Write letters to him everyday if you can to keep his head up. Mail call is really big to them and just pray lots and give support.My prayers and hugs to you and your family. So happy for this forum and the support and to know we the family who love them are not alone. Hope this helps. They are also allowed pictures which of course have to be according to the rules and law and they put them in a photo albumn which they don't keep in their cell but they can look at often to see loved onces faces which helps them alot.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinmom For This Useful Post:
4miBuddy (11-18-2012)