Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Prison Phones
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Phones Discuss problems, solutions and other issues relating to institutional phone systems here

Old 12-26-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Global Telelink

Can somebody help me with this problem?? My next door neighbor has a son in prison and she setup a Global Telelink acct. and everytime that her son call's he's being told that there's NSF??? She put $50 in the acct. when she set it up and can't talk to her son nor can she get anybody"real" person to talk too @ Global Can anybody give a sista` some advice on how to help her

Thanz, MaryJosef_03
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Moricesgirl

I have that same problem. Sometimes it will say that even if I have money. Tell her to call Globel tel link @ 866-230-7761. If its a long wait time they will get her number & call back. They are really good at calling back.(it may take a while) And just tell them the problem. They always tell me its b/c the system is down. But, after I talked to them it has happend less often. Hope this helps.

Last edited by moricesgirl; 12-26-2007 at 01:33 PM..
Old 12-26-2007, 09:37 PM
The Sun, Moon and Stars

I think they have an activation fee for the first time. That may be one of the issues. But have her call the automated and check her balance. (She can also add money to it and not have to wait to do it when he calls). 800-483-8314. I use that number the most. It's easy, convinient and gves you all the info you need.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Thanz

To All that answered me THANZZZZZ so MUCH!!!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM

why do they always add 11.00 everytime you add money to an already exsisting acct? This is outragious! I never get more than 40.00 on a 50.00 and ea. call cost over 8.00 to be connected ONLY! it's absurd, and their is no live agents to talk to so you can create an acct. Someone know something on how to establish an acct w/o it always having the pre-pay added ea time? It really is a rip off! I heard cons.call.home is much cheaper. They offer you 300 mins or 20 calls a month for 40.00. That inclds a one time set up fee! It's only 20.00 each month! They say their having a problem with Global cuz they don't want us to go through their providers. But global is stealing our money at my boys expense. Their serving their time, as am I along with them. I'm emprisioned here at home waiting on them to someday be free, as much as they are locked up. I only live for the day they are free and come back to me. I'm 52 and totally handicap, and cannot afford these calls. It takes every penny of my disability! What can I do to not be anymore of a victim of this system than what they already got out of me? We all know when you take our children, you take our reason for living! Somebody? Please assist! Thank-you! sincerely, Ladyjustice50/or evansmompethtal. Thank-you!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Closed

whenever my gf calls me even before I set up an account the message I hear first always says GLOBAL TELE LINK, so how can you set it up with anyone else then (e.g. "cons.call.home")?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
♥ Hi's Princess ♥
Donation Award 

I have GTL and i only pay $30-$38 every month and he calls like every day and not only that but his calls are only like $3.20 each time he calls and i did not have ro set up a account.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
I'll always have his back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBABY'S_WIFEY View Post
I have GTL and i only pay $30-$38 every month and he calls like every day and not only that but his calls are only like $3.20 each time he calls and i did not have ro set up a account.
Do you have At&t as your landline?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:01 PM

I know that you have to activate a diff kind of account for someone to call you from prison so maybe thats the problem? Have her call and tell them she's trying to get calls from a prison and they should be able to set her acct up

Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 PM
♥ Hi's Princess ♥
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever friends View Post
Do you have At&t as your landline?
no I have cox cable

Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Thanked 5,131 Times in 2,375 Posts

I know many people who cannot set up an account successfully using Cox as the landline! I switched to AT&T. GTL is a pain no matter what! They ration your calls, and they decide (IMO) to get you to switch to the pre-paid plan so that they can charge you more money. The transaction fees are outrageous!
I wish I had a better answer. Do you have a cell phone? That might be your only option if he is in a facility that will let him call a cell phone.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:05 PM

Thats been happeneing to me too. sometimes it comes through as pre paid and other times, it says I dont have any funds. Not to mention they keep disconnecting me and saying I was three way calling. they listen to the calls, say it was a system error but they are not responisble so now 7 of my calls that I only got to talk for 3 minutes are wasted.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Hello all ~

My step-son is in Walla-Walla, Washington and we live in Texas. Since the call is long distance Global-"Steal"-Link was costing us a fortune to receive calls from him. We connected call Con's Call home and they were able to give us a Washington phone number to provide to our son. So now we pay Con's Call home $25 per month for the phone number which is routed to our cell phone so we don't ever miss his calls when we aren't home. We then pay to Global Telink $25 every so often to have money for the actual calls. Con's call home only helps if you live out of the local area of where your love one is calling from. Unfortunately Global Tel link has there hand in it no matter what. But I have learned something that they don't tell you....if your love one tries to call you and you miss the call and your answering machine may pickup, well the call isn't connected but it places a block on the amount of money that call costs for up to 24-hrs. Once the system reconizes that the call didn't go through it releases the block on those funds. So if your love one (like mine) calls back to back because he knows we should be answering it puts a block on a lot of money. This will make it then say you have insuffient funds until it's released. I hope this helps someone. Oh- and by the way...when signing up with Con's call home, be patient with them. They tell you that they should have the phone number for you with in a few days...we had to wait almost a week and a half. But it was worth it. Have a blessed day !!

One son is Finally Home ~~ So thankful
One more to go ERD of 2015 - they can't keep him forever.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrswest2009 For This Useful Post:
Scorpion76 (11-04-2009), South Bay (07-12-2009)
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanked 5,131 Times in 2,375 Posts

I learned that it depends on the facility. I tried to use conscallhome but could not because GTL won't allow that. They call it 3 way calls. They seem to think that they have the power over how many calls can be made and at what intervals. I was paying over $700.00 / month because they were long distance calls! GTL decided to place a limit of $200.00/month and told me that I should not talk so much to an inmate!!! They are rude, condescending and abuse their power. Fortunately a freind told me of a way to establish a local number! Bottom line is that they charge outrageous fees for everything they do and instead of being nice to us so that we will pay more to their company, they do just the opposite!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Default Gtl

OMG! I am having soooooo much trouble with GTL! They are ridiculous, and have horrible customer service! I've called 5 times in the last 2 days and I never get a live person....they always have to "call me back within 2 hours". They keep saying that my local phone company has a block on my phone, (I have Verizon) and I've spoken with Verizon reps several times, they confirmed I do NOT have a block. Finally someone from GTL told me that they have to "wait" until they can confirm if Verizon will allow 3rd party billing! Get serious, I find it hard to believe I am the ONLY one from my area trying to get phone calls from one of the MCCF's! GTL is just one big FRAUD! I haven't had a house phone in 8 years, I only hooked it up to get phone calls from my friend, and now I'm paying for a house phone for no reason since I can't receive his calls! I HATE GTL! I filed a complaint yesterday with the Better Business Bureau, and guess what, there was already 69 complaints!
The Following User Says Thank You to mexirican70 For This Useful Post:
bren2077 (11-05-2009)
Old 02-13-2009, 06:23 AM
I love my hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswest2009 View Post
Hello all ~

My step-son is in Walla-Walla, Washington and we live in Texas. Since the call is long distance Global-"Steal"-Link was costing us a fortune to receive calls from him. We connected call Con's Call home and they were able to give us a Washington phone number to provide to our son. So now we pay Con's Call home $25 per month for the phone number which is routed to our cell phone so we don't ever miss his calls when we aren't home. We then pay to Global Telink $25 every so often to have money for the actual calls. Con's call home only helps if you live out of the local area of where your love one is calling from. Unfortunately Global Tel link has there hand in it no matter what. But I have learned something that they don't tell you....if your love one tries to call you and you miss the call and your answering machine may pickup, well the call isn't connected but it places a block on the amount of money that call costs for up to 24-hrs. Once the system reconizes that the call didn't go through it releases the block on those funds. So if your love one (like mine) calls back to back because he knows we should be answering it puts a block on a lot of money. This will make it then say you have insuffient funds until it's released. I hope this helps someone. Oh- and by the way...when signing up with Con's call home, be patient with them. They tell you that they should have the phone number for you with in a few days...we had to wait almost a week and a half. But it was worth it. Have a blessed day !!

when i called cons call home they told me that Global doesn't like people using their services. the person told me that yes conscallhome may set up a valid number but global might not let that number be used. so you pay all the fees and such yet the number is unusable. they have the right to ask for your phone provider and your phone bills or something like that and when they find out that it's conscallhome they disconnect your service. how did you get around that??
Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM

I set up my phone through vonage to the local calling area where he is, then set up my account with global tel link. I can forward the calls to my cell phone without any problems. My calls are about .90 for 10 minutes. He is in NC, rates are probably different for CA.

Last edited by heaven09; 02-13-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Old 02-15-2009, 12:11 PM

They are absolutely the worst company I have dealt with! Theres no need to go into detail over why that is true....I think this oppinion is pretty much shared by most and its a crime they are still operating. SCREW GLT!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kryssebell54 For This Useful Post:
JCJP2009 (11-05-2009), Scorpion76 (11-04-2009)
Old 02-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Dee's Wife

Default GTL Prepaid VA

I have a prepaid account, and I only have to pay .99 a call. Over 8.00 seems fishy to me. When I set my account up they told me it was cheaper with the prepaid than it was to just have collect calls so that's why I switched. They don't take out any fees though.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:36 PM

Default Got Years Of Calls Coming-Save Thousands-Try This

My brother is in a MN prison and we all live in a small town. Everywhere is collect if it's not in the town you live in, when you live in small town MN. When my brother first went in, my mom & dads phone bill was 2-3 hundred dollars every month. We put our heads together and came up with a plan that worked like a charm. This is only going to work if your loved one is going to be gone for at least a year/2 years depending on which company you go through. My dad went and got a cell phone with a prefix number which was not long distance from the prison that my brother was at. My brother then bought calling cards & they were charged as local calls which are only so many cents per call per 15 minutes. When my brother was transferred, we were lucky that he was sent to the same calling area. You can call everywhere in the Mpls./St. Paul area and still be in the Local Calling Area. Just make sure; if you choose to do this, you wait until your loved one is in their permanent placement facility. This has saved my parents thousands of dollars over the years. My parents have my brothers son while he's gone & my nephew has to say "GOOD-NIGHT TO DADDY" every night. Hope this helps someone as much as it has helped my parents, nephew & brother!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:22 PM

try 1800-231-0193 or 1-877-6504249
Old 02-28-2009, 07:38 PM
PRAYING MOM

Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,444 Posts

I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH GLOBAL TEL.I PAY 25.00 THURSDAY.tO MY SON ACCOUNT.HE TRYED TONIGHT.tHE RECORDING SAID .CALL GLBAL TEL.AND THERE CLOSE TONIGHT.I THIS 1-866-230-7761.IS IT A TOLE FREE NUMBER.
I HAVE AT&T.DO THEY HAVE SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN GO THROW TO GET PRISON CALL.I KNOW MY SON IS WORRIED ABOUT US.
PLEASE HELP

Do not ask the Lord to
guide your footsteps.
if you are not willing
to move your feet.
Big Show 2
At Home
Old 02-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by micki10659 View Post
My brother is in a MN prison and we all live in a small town. Everywhere is collect if it's not in the town you live in, when you live in small town MN. When my brother first went in, my mom & dads phone bill was 2-3 hundred dollars every month. We put our heads together and came up with a plan that worked like a charm. This is only going to work if your loved one is going to be gone for at least a year/2 years depending on which company you go through. My dad went and got a cell phone with a prefix number which was not long distance from the prison that my brother was at. My brother then bought calling cards & they were charged as local calls which are only so many cents per call per 15 minutes. When my brother was transferred, we were lucky that he was sent to the same calling area. You can call everywhere in the Mpls./St. Paul area and still be in the Local Calling Area. Just make sure; if you choose to do this, you wait until your loved one is in their permanent placement facility. This has saved my parents thousands of dollars over the years. My parents have my brothers son while he's gone & my nephew has to say "GOOD-NIGHT TO DADDY" every night. Hope this helps someone as much as it has helped my parents, nephew & brother!
Did the prison that your brother was in allow calls to cell phones?
Old 02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
PRAYING MOM

Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarGirl View Post
Did the prison that your brother was in allow calls to cell phones?

i don't know.if i can talk to him again i will ask him.thanks

Do not ask the Lord to
guide your footsteps.
if you are not willing
to move your feet.
Big Show 2
At Home
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexirican70 View Post
omg! I am having soooooo much trouble with gtl! they are ridiculous, and have horrible customer service! I've called 5 times in the last 2 days and i never get a live person....they always have to "call me back within 2 hours". They keep saying that my local phone company has a block on my phone, (i have verizon) and i've spoken with verizon reps several times, they confirmed i do not have a block. Finally someone from gtl told me that they have to "wait" until they can confirm if verizon will allow 3rd party billing! Get serious, i find it hard to believe i am the only one from my area trying to get phone calls from one of the mccf's! Gtl is just one big fraud! i haven't had a house phone in 8 years, i only hooked it up to get phone calls from my friend, and now i'm paying for a house phone for no reason since i can't receive his calls! I hate gtl! I filed a complaint yesterday with the better business bureau, and guess what, there was already 69 complaints!
i think you should just deal with your phone company in your case i believe verizon is still the only phone company that takes all direct collect calls to your monthly bill