Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Closed

Default Renewing Driver's License

can you renew your driver's license while incarcerated?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

Good question I was wondering the same thing. I am going to be getting my fiances license from his sister and I am sure it has expired by now. He gets out in Oct. and I was thinking if there was a way to renew it for him.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Miss us?

Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,131 Posts

Here's another one:

Can somebody apply for a first time driving license if they are a felon after released from State Prison?

Non substance or Alcohol related offense.

Is there some extra step they have to take first?
member of the rubber band mama club
Old 12-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Miss us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaa
Good question I was wondering the same thing. I am going to be getting my fiances license from his sister and I am sure it has expired by now. He gets out in Oct. and I was thinking if there was a way to renew it for him.
In my case: Expired License and new residence: I'm thinking since I faced a simliar situation recently. My license expired. I had a new address. I had to physically go to the dmv with proof that I was me and apply for the license with a fee. They would not allow me to renew it via mail or on the internet.

Unless they make exceptions for Prisons. It would most likely be considered a new residence as well. ugh.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

TY for the info. I guess one of the stops we will be making in Oct. when he comes home will be the local DMV boy does that sound like fun NOT
Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Miss us?

Quote:
TY for the info. I guess one of the stops we will be making in Oct. when he comes home will be the local DMV boy does that sound like fun NOT
OH but the comfy chairs are so inviting. giggle! I remember two of us went at one time to get our licenses renewed. I had an appointment. The other didn't. Guess who's number got called first? Not my'n.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Account Closed

Make an appointment for your loved one to go to DMV when they get home. I just had to go down and take a written test to renew...they can't take your license away just because you are a felon...you would have had to have a court take away your license....

If you have outstanding fees / traffic tickets there are forms available in the prison law libraries that you can file to have them removed and use your incarceration time to pay for the fees.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

Do you know what the forms are that they need to fill out. My fiance is in Fire Camp so there is not prison law library there that I know of. Maybe if he knew what form it is that he needs he can request it from a CO to be sent to him from CCC. Any help would be grateful. He just told me that his liscense was suspended before he went in for failure to pay a fine. I had no idea of that. Maybe we can clear that up before he gets out in Oct. then just have to go and renew it when he gets home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrtanningdiva
Make an appointment for your loved one to go to DMV when they get home. I just had to go down and take a written test to renew...they can't take your license away just because you are a felon...you would have had to have a court take away your license....

If you have outstanding fees / traffic tickets there are forms available in the prison law libraries that you can file to have them removed and use your incarceration time to pay for the fees.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Account Closed

In his case have him simply write the court for the county that the fine is in and explain to them that he is incarcerated and requesting to have his time count in lieu of the fine...they will respond.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
*KISSIN* My Travi

Uuum, now that we're on the subject, I got a question too. My b/f got his license suspended for 4 years! (Wow!) and I was wondering if theres a way to appeal this suspension or at least lower the term?????? Please lemme know.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Account Closed

All you can do is write the court and see if his time incarcerated can count instead...it's worth a try.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,416 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:
Do you know what the forms are that they need to fill out. My fiance is in Fire Camp so there is not prison law library there that I know of. Maybe if he knew what form it is that he needs he can request it from a CO to be sent to him from CCC. Any help would be grateful. He just told me that his liscense was suspended before he went in for failure to pay a fine. I had no idea of that. Maybe we can clear that up before he gets out in Oct. then just have to go and renew it when he gets home.
I've done it for my son, he sent me the form and I took it and all of his paperwork to the court and it was taken care of. The form is 41500

Last edited by PT ROSE; 01-13-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned

Thank you for the info PT Rose I will mention it to him tomorrow when he calls me. What other paperwork does he need and I wonder if we can mail in the paperwork since I am in NY and it would be a little hard for me to get to the court out there.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,416 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for the info PT Rose I will mention it to him tomorrow when he calls me. What other paperwork does he need and I wonder if we can mail in the paperwork since I am in NY and it would be a little hard for me to get to the court out there.
Yes, He needs to mail in the form. I trhink the form is all he needs, He has to put all the information on the form, Case number, etc.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Account Closed

I never used a form, just wrote the courts
Old 02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,941 Times in 1,336 Posts

You know, just last week I was reading somewhere that California is considering or is working with the DMV 30 days or so before the inmate's release, by giving the inmate a legitimate California "ID" card before leaving the prison. Then it would make it easier on the guy after his release not to worry to have to get a form of Identification; especially for a guy like mine that has been locked up for over 26 years.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:14 PM
in love...Always

My man also wrote to the courts regarding tickets owed, and they have counted his time instead of him paying. I just got him the address for the courts andviolation info he did the rest. I dont think they can renew expired license if he's not present to take the test, unless the driver doesnt have ticket its automatic, at least that's what happend with me...

Old 02-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

Well I found out the reason his liscense had a hold on it is because he had a unpaid ticket. It was sent to collections to the franshise tax board and he now has to pay them to get the hold removed. He had been making payments before he went in. At least there is no warrant because of it. I called the courts where the ticket is from and asked them.