Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Wisconsin Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 AM

Default extended supervision

can someone please tell me what is extended supervision exactly. i have looked it up online and came to the conclusion that it is another name for parole. but i have questions far as is it a halfway house that the inmate will have to stay in or can he live with me and just report to the corrections agent on a regular basis. has anyone had any problems being on extended supervision. is there a website i can go to find the rules of supervision. online i just saw specific city rules and not general. thank you in advance for your responses.

The cost of success is cheaper than the cost of failure.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2007, 02:04 PM
~~ Love you... Always ~~

All I can share is my experience. When my man was released last February he was on extended supervision for 2 years. He was to be released to Brown County (the county he was convicted in), but we got his case transferred to Milwaukee county prior to his release...
He reports to a parole officer still.... so to me it seems just like as if he were on parole
Old 12-13-2007, 09:21 PM

Extended supervision is like the old parole system. The new TIS law states that all sentences must include some ES. Whether he is released to Transitional living facility or to you is entirly up to his PO. Some inmates are released home on electronic monitoring. The rules are entirely decided by the sentencing judge and the PO. He may be allowed to live with you, but have a curfew. Most times there is a total sobiety order and random drug and alchohol tests. If he violates a rule his PO may give him a sanction (punishment such as a curfew when none was in place before), send him to jail for a short time, commit him to a TLF or tratment facilty, or if it is serious enough revoke him and send him back to prison. Anyone who has been throught this will tell you ES is the hardest part. And a lot of guys don't make it and end up back in lockup.

Last edited by darqueyes; 12-13-2007 at 09:23 PM..
Old 12-14-2007, 12:07 AM

scary. well like summerrae i want to transfer the case, however i want to transfer out of state and was told by a lawyer that i need to get permission from illinois for him to transfer. to be honest i don't want to live in wisconsin, been there done that. seems like he can get into more trouble there. when i talked to the lawyer, i did not think to ask when i should begin transfer procedures and now i can't remember which lawyer i talked to. but lately i have been thinking bout my future and don't want to settle down here if i have to move back to wisconsin. initial confinement is up in 2019 so when is the exact moment that i get the ball rolling to see where he will be or to see about the transfer. hopefully it's not too late. in the sentencing, the judge did not clarify halfway house etc. she just said ES 22 years

Last edited by mallen369; 12-14-2007 at 12:24 AM..
Old 12-14-2007, 06:01 PM
~~ Love you... Always ~~

If he wants to transfer, he will have to put a request in with his county and start there. Then they will have to talk to the receiving county and make sure they want him.
I don't think you can just start it on your own though on your end... although I suppose you can check with your county to see how likely it will be that they would approve it.

Just noticed that the confinement isn't up until 2019.... umm... hate to say it, but you'll have to wait until it's much closer.... Like within 6 months or so of his release. I thought you meant tranferring him when he was released for his extended supervision. So you have a lot of time

We did our transfer request about 4 months prior to his release.

You may be referring to an interstate transfer, if you mean to transfer him while he's still incarcerated... I think that's when you can swap inmates between states, but then you have to find someone from IL that wants to be moved to WI. I have no clue how that works or how to initiate that.

Last edited by SummerRae; 12-14-2007 at 06:06 PM..
Old 12-15-2007, 01:46 AM

i never heard of an interstate transfer. i did not know they did such a thing. actually you were right the first time, i would like to transfer the extended supervision from wisconsin to illinois. to clarify, i am more familiar with this city. seems like law enforcement in wisconsin is more strict. i feel like he can do much better here in illinois there are more benefits for convicted felons. i could support him better here than if i had to move back to milwaukee, both financially and emotionally. thanks for letting me know that i have to look into it at least 6 months before he gets out. that means i have a long ways to go.