Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Missouri DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Missouri Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM
lost faith in system

Default What is a typical day in Prison like..

he is not entered prison yet and has not been assigned one, but I was wondering what a typical day would be for him. He has been convicted as a SO, so would that make a difference?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Well girl, I have always heard that SO's have a really hard time alot.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Donation Award 

First thing he has to do is not tell a single person what his crime is. That is nobody's business at all. As for time being harder for a sex offender, that is pretty much myth, unless it is high profile and people already know about it. Sex offenders don't have any harder time than anyone else when they don't tell what they are in for, I said it before and it bears repeating...keep your charge to yourself.

As for a typical day in prison, they have morning count at 6am, chow, return to wing or go to work if your job starts early, count at 11ish, chow, return to wing or go to work or school, count at 4ish, chow, return to wing for the evening (unless there is an evening activity such as chapel, AA, NA, etc) or work if you have an evening job, count at 10ish, lockdown for the night (unless the prison has special rules that there is a "latenight" when the doors open for wing time after the 10pm count). That is pretty much it. Boring and dull. There are rec times in between with some getting everyday and some getting every other day..this depends on the prison.

It is NOT like movies and televison, so stop thinking that right now! At least Missouri is not like that. It's just a boring day where you do nothing unless you have a job or class of some kind to attend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christy For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008), Heather7908 (07-25-2009), lrgarcia36 (02-04-2010)
Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 PM

Unless you are in reception and diagnostics, then you are on lockdown most of the day, few times for rec, some peeps in cells, some out in an open common area. In reception and diagnostics no books sent in, alot of card playing. Reception and diagnostics can last for 30, 60, 90 days or longer before they are assigned to a permanent camp.
The Following User Says Thank You to hislilbunny For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008)
Old 12-08-2007, 04:45 PM

And then for those that have to go to medical for meds or other reasons that takes up a small portion of time and also canteen day seems to be something they look forward to since there isnt much else going on in prison.

Kim

The Following User Says Thank You to Urinmythoughts For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008)
Old 12-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Donation Award 

My Son has described prison very very very BORING.
But now that he is working in the library he says time flies, (but that is partly because it is new).

Be advised at most max security prisons in Mo. inmates have to work at least 90 days in the kitchen before they can bid on any other jobs.

My son put that off -- because kitchen work at SCCC sucks -- but about 6 months ago - when they were short in the kitchen, they just forced him to go to work there at 4am one day --- (unannounced, yes crazy). But once he was doing it he stuck with it for 90 days -- then was able to bid on a few jobs he actually wanted. (maintenance, canteen, and library.) He got the library job and really really loves it.

He checks out books, files, and even makes copies for inmates. He has a small desk of his own, and can spend some time on the computer, (NOT INTERNET). It pays a big $12.50 a month. (sarcasm)... but most importantly it keeps him busy, so time goes by faster. And the ladies who work there are not CO's -- and they are very human and treat him decently. I am really grateful for it. He is too.

Last edited by sag; 12-09-2007 at 02:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to sag For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008)
Old 12-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

My Husbands day is far from boring he has chosen to stay busy all day. Prison is what you make out of it if you chose to do nothing then your days will be long and boring but if you chose to use this time in positive ways then the days will fly by. My husband has many different projects happening on any give day so he really doesn’t have any down slow days.

He is not a morning person so he stays in bed to sometime between 8:30 – 9:30. When he gets up he cooks himself something to eat. Usually, he eats a bowl of oat meal with a honey bun in it. – In my opinion gross ---- If it’s a morning in which they have morning rec. then he will get up earlier to attend. He’s got to get that good work out to build up his energy.

My husband has also chosen to be one of those inmates who have a job. He works in the Dinning room during the Lunch and dinner hours. It’s not because he needs the money, he has chosen to work so that he will be more prepared for when he comes home and gets a much better job. Just think of the jobs skills he has learned. For example he has learned about the health issues and understands the importance of a clean place to eats means. Before coming to prison my Husband had never had a job. He came to prison at the age of 17. So over the years he has learned different job skills that he can place on a resume. He may not get one of the good jobs right off the bat but I know he will work at getting a good one for our Family. I get a little of his time between the lunch and dinner hour to get a report on how are day is going. It’s nice to here him.

Also, another way my husband has chosen to fill his time is that he has taken on the task of facilitating classes/programs. I believe his favorite class is Parole Planning or it might be Relationship Strengthen class. Hmmm I will ask him that tonight. This is something he just started doing about a 1 ½ ago and I really think he enjoys it a lot. He studies and prepares himself for each class he teaches. Even though he teaches the class/program over and over he try’s to bring in some new things and thoughts into each new session he teaches. He doesn’t want to bore the class and he wants to keep the classrooms attention.

My husband also is involved in different organizations. For example NAACP, Toastmaster just to name a 2 -- There are more but I am having a brain fart--- These organizations meet at least monthly and have banquettes. Within the organization he has taken the programs they have offered and has earned some more certificates. Oh Yippee

He also goes to night reek when ever he can. That’s good because it keeps him physically fit. And last and not least he has ME to fill up his time. We can spend hours on the phone without realizing the time has flown by.

So in my opinion it is what you make out of a bad situation. You can’t change the situation so ---- again it’s my opinion--- it’s what you make of it and how you chose to use your time!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 05:20 PM

True, we choose to make our situation what it becomes, BUT there is also something to be said for age and maturity, I'm sure you're husband has a bit more age on him than Sag's son, maybe life experience is a better choice of words than age!! It sounds like your husband has set himself goals to strive for, good for him!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to prayingformyson For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008)
Old 12-12-2007, 10:29 PM

My b/f eagerly wants to do classes, work, whatever he can to better himself and take advantage of opportunities while inside. unfortunately he can not do any of that until he is assigned to a perm. facility. It is my understanding that while going thru reception and diagnostics(which could be 30, 60, 90 days) that these things are not available. No magazine subscritions or books are allowed to be sent in either during this time. Pretty much, as best I can tell there is 2(maybe 3) rec times per day, maybe some tv available(MAYBE), canteen once a week, there are books in there, who knows their quality and chapel once a week. Not a whole lot else to do except wait for perm. assignment.
The Following User Says Thank You to hislilbunny For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008)
Old 12-13-2007, 01:32 AM

Gary spent a few years in quite a while ago, and he thankfully is a carpet layer and carpeter. so he went from shop to working outside everyday and got a whopping $8.00 a day. which there made him rich. i told him what christy said and he said also, tell no one anything. trust no one. don't be rude, just private. he also said the old timers were great to him when he first went in and he listened to them. you also don't spend a lot, especially when you first get in, and just assume you have to make it on your own and work any damn job you can get. Louis La'mour is the main reading, at least in county. Everyone hates county. same goes there, don't fall for stories, don't borrow, don't loan. just do your time, i think he was there eight or nine years and because of work there, eh had no trouble with being out of shape for his business when he got out. it's county where you sleep, eat, read and get fat. when your man gets a "home" it will be better, truly. marian
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowwally For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008)
Old 12-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Is this true? That during your last 2 weeks in prison your books are put on hold and you cant purchase anything from the canteen the last 2 weeks?
Apparantly they are put on hold to get your acount and everything in order for your release.
Wondering whats true?
Kim

The Following User Says Thank You to Urinmythoughts For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008)
Old 12-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Donation Award 

My son went in at 17 -- he is a very energetic young person -- so it has been hard for him to do his time. He has volunteered for everything under the sun.... before he got his job in the library -- he was one of 2 guys who did WING cleaning every day -- just to keep busy. He also volunteered to pick up cig butts in the yard last summer -- just to stay busy -- it was not a paying job - but he got to be outside more than the designated time because he signed up to clean the yard. So he does stay busy.

Last fall - he volunteered to be the guy who watered the pumpkins that were growing in a garden part of the yard. He watered them all year in the evening -- then one day they were picked by someone there -- he doesn't know who -- and they were gone.... I think he was sort of sad about that. He asked me if the guards had them out in the front entry area -- they didn't.

Sometimes I feel so guilty or bad for him when I am out experiencing life everyday. And especially when I see young people his age out and about enjoying life.

Unfortunately he has his GED -- and so there are no classes for anyone at SCCC beyond that. He is enrolling in a correspondence class in Jan that will last for 7 months. He is looking fwd to that. The cost is $1400 -- so his dad and I have to wait until after x-mas to pay for it. But it will be worth it. I am hoping we can afford one class per year.

He has signed up to go to mass on Thursdays -- but for weeks they didnt have him on the list -- and didnt release (or call) him. But I think they are on track now.

I definately agree time is -- to some extent - what you make of it. But even so.... My son is young -- time is hard on all of our guys, sons, husbands, etc..

And for my son -- 12 more years is a long long time. One day at a time, one year at a time I guess. And with the killings at SCCC recently --- I just pray mostly that he stays safe -- and comes home safe someday.

Last edited by sag; 12-14-2007 at 08:41 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to sag For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008)
Old 12-14-2007, 08:48 AM
Banned

I am not for sure how old Sagís son is. I will let you all that my Husband came to prison at the age of 17 and has been in for over 15 Ĺ yrs. He is 32 yrs old now and to me we are not old and we still have a lot of LIFE to experience together. I will agree that the younger they are when they come to prison that the situation is ruff on them to deal with. I can defiantly say that my Husbandís 1st couple of yrs in prison where the worst for him. He spent a lot of time in the hole and also the rubber room. He even once was threatened to be strapped to a chair for days for refusing Cellies while being in the hole. Mind you he was sent to the hole for participating in a food strike against the quality of the food. Those 1st couple yrs is when he rec. most of his senseless write ups. After spending months in the hole HE made a decision that he wanted to better himself out of this experience and that the only people he was hurting was himself and our family and thatís not what he really wanted to do at all.

Over the yrs I have seen and learned a lot. Itís truly unfortunate that many of our childhood friends I have seen use the revolving prison door. It saddens me that they have not learned at all from their experiences. Unfortunately, Missouri Prisons are not designed for rehabilitation. So I truly believe that the Offender needs to rise above the expectations to work hard on bettering one self besides itís only the offender who can truly make the commitment to change to better themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayingformyson
True, we choose to make our situation what it becomes, BUT there is also something to be said for age and maturity, I'm sure you're husband has a bit more age on him than Sag's son, maybe life experience is a better choice of words than age!! It sounds like your husband has set himself goals to strive for, good for him!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Donation Award 

Yes -MJD I think you are right. It is too bad your husband had to go through so much when he went in. How much longer does he have? How did you all meet? did you know him since he went in? I am just curious. I feel sad that my son will most likely not have a girlfriend/significant other until he gets out -- and then it will be hard for him, being an ex-convict, etc... Your husband is lucky to have you.
Can you share some of the other affects, good and bad that serving time has had on him -- going in at such a young age? I think of this all the time --- because of my son. Wonder how this will change/impact him -- and what he will be like when he is older. If my son serves all 15 yrs -- he will be out at 32.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urinmythoughts
Is this true? That during your last 2 weeks in prison your books are put on hold and you cant purchase anything from the canteen the last 2 weeks?
Apparantly they are put on hold to get your acount and everything in order for your release.
Wondering whats true?
Kim
yes, his books will be frozen a week or two prior to his release... he will need to plan ahead...
The Following User Says Thank You to livinginreality For This Useful Post:
Hardt (10-30-2008)
Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Smile here goes!!

I was convicted of SO in 1998.
A typical day is prison is somewhat different than people think.
Yes it can be very boring and monotonous and time stops for you. Everything on the outside keeps going and everything on the inside stays the same.
I did 3 1/2 years and actually stayed very busy in there.
Typical days include counts 4 times and day and at night and chow after counts. But in the mean time you have to go to work or school 6 hours a day. I was fortunate I had my G.E.D. And got an outstanding job while I was in. I was the supply warehouse manager and made a whole whopping 25.00 a month. Which is a lot in prison. And best of all i controlled the toilet paper. Which you could make money on the side by selling wax for floors or bleach which of course meant stealing from the institution but it was means to survive. I was also a store man which meant I would buy stuff from canteen and loan it to people until store day. For example a soda for one week meant either 2for 3 or 1 for 2 depending on how long it took you to pay it back. Sometimes people wouldnt pay and well things werent good then ( not gonna go into detail bout it ) but for the most part people payed. In the mean time I had time to workout or play handball, softball, walk or run track, they even had a flag football season. and soccer. and yes basketball. Theres plenty to do besides just sit in the cell and mope. The first year and the last 6 months suck bc it cant get over quick enough. You can request to have certain cellies which is good, makes time a lil better for most people. Time is what you make it for yourself. Honor and strength are two very important things to have in there. I learned more about honor in there than I ever have on the streets. Holidays were mostly crappy bc you remember your not with your family but you get decent dinners and they do stuff like give you packages and play bingo and give away real soda like mt dew or pepsi instead of RC which was great when you havent had one in a while.
Then you have the library and law library. A lot of times on weekends they would have tournaments like horse shoe or handball or softball. even physical fitness contest which sometimes didnt turn out so good. You dont take a bunch of guys with pent up anger and issues and try and get them to see whos "you know what" is bigger. You can get magazines and clothes from the street as long as it was ordered from eastbay or jcpenney or someplace like that.
Of course you have to deal with scam artist or big bubba as hes referred to on the streets. But typically its what you make it for yourself. You have to watch your back at all times thats when its good to have lots of friends. Theres a lot of racial tension in there but I was fortunate to be liked by all. There were the regular fights mostly over cards or debts. We played a lot of pinochle ( if youve never played you oughtta learn its a fun game ), spades, and bones (dominoes) among other games. Believe it or not you can get drunk off water. Dont ever play hearts with a convict for cups of water. and of course you had your programs that you had to complete which is about the most stress you really have in there besides not being with your family and friends on the outside. You have no bill unless you owe someone. You have 3 hots and a cot and no rent. No bills. And you get movie nights where they play new releases on a certain channel for you. Dont get me wrong prison is not fun by any means. Ive seen some bad crap in my day between stabbing and rapings and punk getting screwed in the bathroom and fags everywhere trying to get them to let you let them suck you off or other things like that. But If you stick to yourself and stand your ground you can make it through anything in there. It all depends on you. There are a lot of stand up people in prison that will be some of the best friends youll ever meet. My best friend to this day I met in prison. Visits are great especially food visits!! Which you get if you have good behavior for 6 months. You have the honor system which means you get put in an "im a good guy house" which sometimes would get you targeted as a weakling but depending on what prison your at depends on the people you deal with. Most people just wanna do their time and go on their way.
Ramen noodle with chili or stuff like that is great. You can be very creative in there with what you make for yourself. Ask your convict to tell you how to make a ramen noodle pizza!! Its Great when your inside.
And you got your typical searches and every once in a while the e-squad would come in tear your stuff up and then you get to spend the next few hours cleaning it up. And being stripped searched and other stuff. And theres the hole which depending on what hole you go to: ad seg or de seg depended on what you got. Ag seg is better. You get magazines and books. and keep most of your clothes. Get to see daylight everyonce in a while. and Phone calls once a week. Deseg Sucked they strip you of pretty much everything. If your lucky youll get a book or magazine. Lot of people Fly kites (pass notes). Youd be amazed at how its done. Just hope never to go to the hole!!
AND THEN..... One day its all over and you cant even believe it happened to you! Its been 7 years since I was in and theres not a day it doesnt come up and not a minute i dont think about it! Thank God its over!
Ok Im gonna quit for now If anyone has any other questions about it let me know ill be more than happy to answer!! I hope this helps with some of you that are worries about your inmate.
Ok so I went a little past a typical day in prison.

Last edited by just wanna help; 10-24-2008 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: missed some stuff
Old 10-24-2008, 09:15 PM

I understand they are not suppossed to tell what they are in there for but if they are ordered to attend MOSOP, dont they have to admit what they've done and own up to it? And the problem with my husband is not only is he a SO, he's prior law enforcement so when he admits his crime in MOSOP, he has to reveal he was a cop when it happened.
His caseworker told us the same thing, that he should never tell anyone why he's there but there's no way around it considering he has to do MOSOP. Any suggestions?

Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you I had no control over.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:03 AM

Default Ok I did 5 years in Missouri DOC for Involuntary manslaughter.

I'm going to answer the question here.

1. Most SO go to Farmington CC. Farmington has two sides. An A side, and a B side. It's been 12 years when I left there. So I don't remember which was with. MDOC is rated on a custody risk level. Level 1 - 5. 1 being lowest and 5 being the Highest. Lowest is best. I think B side is level 1 -3, and A is 4 -5. Inmates on outside work release are level 1 or 2 only. If there risk level is 3 or higher, they can only work inside of the prison. Like most people stated. Prison is what you make of it.

2. Most SO don't get messed with. Some get it hard. As a rule, if the SO was with an adult "over 18" they will be fine as long as they don't get caught up in any scams. If the SO was with a child or miner. It is not going to be easy at all for them.
"As an ex-inmate and a father" They get what they got coming to them. I will touch base on this. Inmates do have an honor in prison. The first thing I learned in prison is this. "You only have your word." Meaning honor. So keep your word, and do what you say.

3. Don't tell anyone what you are in for, if you are a SO. Anyone else doesnít matter. Inmates don't care what you are in for. They will ask, but they don't care if you robbed, stole, cheated, or killed. Most just ask to start to get to know you. Or to find out what you are about. To see if you are week or strong.

4. Don't talk to anyone at first. Check things out. Find out who is who. If they can fight, and they will get in to a few fights, they can get friendly sooner with the other inmates.

5. Only for SO. The other inmates will find out what they are in for. No matter how careful they are, and how tight lipped they are, someone will find out, or someone will talk. If someone in their SO class gets in trouble with another inmate, they may talk to get themselves out of trouble with the inmate.

Last. The hold on their accounts for the last two weeks is true. This is to fill out the release forms, and to write a check for what is in their account. The check didn't do me any good until I got a checking account.
The Following User Says Thank You to drackard For This Useful Post:
StormChild (10-26-2008)
Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcooley View Post
I understand they are not suppossed to tell what they are in there for but if they are ordered to attend MOSOP, dont they have to admit what they've done and own up to it? And the problem with my husband is not only is he a SO, he's prior law enforcement so when he admits his crime in MOSOP, he has to reveal he was a cop when it happened.
His caseworker told us the same thing, that he should never tell anyone why he's there but there's no way around it considering he has to do MOSOP. Any suggestions?

The difference here is that everyone in the MOSOP program is a sex offender. And, yes, they do have to admit what they did, and tell all the details. It's a very difficult program to do and many refuse or drop out.

They do have rules set up in the program that keeps things in the program and doesn't get spread around the camps. He should not tell what he did until he is moved to the program.
Do it with a heart wide open

Say what you need to say

~John Mayer, Say~
The Following User Says Thank You to Christy For This Useful Post:
Infinityandbeyond (10-27-2008)