Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > VA DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

VA DOC - What You Need to Know Finding your way around the VA Corrections System - everything you need to know about VA DOC.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Donation Award 

Default Classification process?

Hi everyone...
My husband is at Deep Meadow awaiting official classification and transfer. He met with the counselor last week who told him that she was recommending him for a level 4 even though "on paper" his numbers/points come out to be a level 3... and not even at the high end of the level 3. Does this happen often? And, if so, what are the chances that his official classification from Richmond will differ from her recommendation?

Also,any information that anyone has on the three level 4 facilities (especially Sussex 2 and Nottoway) would be greatly appreciated!! We're still praying he gets a level 3 but trying to prepare for level 4.

Thank you so much everyone! I don't know what I'd do without the information I've been able to get from reading this forum!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,167 Posts

Now why is this counselor recommending level 4? I always thought that whatever it comes out to is what they have to go by. Sheesh! Don't like seeing people playing God. I know there can be medical reasons that will bump you from a Level 1 to a 2 since only 2's and above have 24/7 medical care, but to recommend and 4 when he calcs to a 3 sucks!! I hope he heard her wrong and he gets to a 3.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Donation Award 

dw - Nope, not for medical reasons. Unfortunately it is kind of "playing God" situation. She basically told my husband that she was upping her recommendation to a 4 because of her feelings about what he did. We both know that what he did was horrible and neither of us are trying to lessen that in any way.... but we were hoping that someone's "feelings" about it wouldn't come in to play; that it would be a matter of adding up the points on his classification sheet, you know?

The good news is that he's 55, has never been in trouble before, was career military (26 years in before he retired), had a stable job before this, and continues to have a support system on the outside. He has NO intention of doing anything to lose his good time, so we're hopeful that he will be reclassified as a 3 on his first annual review.

Thanks for the good thoughts!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Donation Award 

If she's doing it because she "feels" like it then you need to take it up with the warden. If he won't help go to the DOC and the Governor if you have to. If you let him get railroaded now it tells them they can keep doing it. If he points out to a 3 then he should be at a 3 facility. I'm dealing with the same crap here in WV too, so it happens everywhere.
As for prison info. Look in the prison profile section and you can find them all there.
Good luck

藕断丝连
The lotus root snaps, but its fibers stay joined.
Said of people (especially lovers) that still remain in contact though apparently separated.
Separated but still in each other's thoughts.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Donation Award 

Thank you for the advice, daveswife. When I talk to my husband tomorrow I'll let him know what you said. I think we're both so afraid of "making trouble" that we didn't think about going over her head with it. It gives me hope that both you and dw think she's not really allowed to do this. I'm sorry you're dealing with the same thing. Please let me know how your situation turns out!

~praying that it works out well for you~
Old 12-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Donation Award 

I'm never afraid to take it over their heads. He can't do much, but you can. Good luck!!

藕断丝连
Said of people (especially lovers) that still remain in contact though apparently separated.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Donation Award 

I just thought I'd give an update for anyone who might stumble across this thread and wonder...

We took Daveswife's advice and filed a "grievance" with the warden. We respectfully asked him to review the classification recommendation and listed our reasons for believing my husband should, in fact, go to a level 3 facility. My husband filed that on Friday morning and on Monday his counselor said "Oh, by the way, you're going to a level 3 after all." On Tuesday he was told to pack up, he was being transferred and on Wednesday he was moved.... to a level 3!!

It all happened SO fast that we're not sure what part the grievance played in any of it but we're so grateful it worked out the way it did. He's now at Greensville Correctional Center and, so far anyway, it doesn't seem too bad. Thank you dw and Daveswife for your constant support and advice!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,934 Times in 1,167 Posts

I am glad to hear he went to a 3. I had to laugh at his being moved out of Deep Meadow so quick. Guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Donation Award 

I'm kind of laughing about that too, now. Of course, when we didn't know if they were moving him to a 3 or a 4, it wasn't so funny! I was definitely nervous, but all's well that ends well I guess, huh?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Donation Award 

Good for you!!!! I'm glad he's at a 3. Althoug I never let it deter me, I know that it doesn't always work out the way I want it.
Once they know that the inmate has a vocal, active family things tend to happen. Good job!

藕断丝连
Old 12-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks, Daveswife... I'm just so thankful that I took your advice!!! The Lord knew what I needed when He led me to PTO and you guys.