Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Indiana General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Indiana that do not fit into any other Indiana subforum.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:44 PM

Question Paternity Tests

Hi everyone!! I hope some one here can help me out with this question. I have a friend in Wabash Valley, he has a daughter who is about or close to a year old. My question is the following...Is there any way that he could get a paternity test done on his daughter with him being in prison? The baby's mama assures him it's his but he has a small doubt. If any one has any knowledge on a subject like this any info would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:51 AM
His*1*and only

Well I believe my "Brother" had a paternity test done on two little girls while he was waiting to be sentenced in the County. But I am sure if they will offer to do it in the county then there shouldnt be a problem with them doing it while he is in prison. Try having him talk to him counselor or something because they are probably the ones that will offer him the best of help.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:57 AM

If the mother receives assistance: medicaid foodstamps any welfare and she gives his name as the father it will automatically be done......the state wants TANF repaid...alot of guys get the letter that says TANF and do not know what it stands for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families......if she files for child support he has the right to request it before he signs stating that it's his child......you can tell him to write your local county and as to have paternity established and they will assistance him.....
Old 11-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Account closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZzLiN1320
If the mother receives assistance: medicaid foodstamps any welfare and she gives his name as the father it will automatically be done......the state wants TANF repaid...alot of guys get the letter that says TANF and do not know what it stands for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families......if she files for child support he has the right to request it before he signs stating that it's his child......you can tell him to write your local county and as to have paternity established and they will assistance him.....
This is partially correct. If the mother receives assistance she will have to name the alleged father and make her file for child support. If the parents were never married a paternity test will be ordered because they must establish paternity. I would check your state's law on child support and see if they will back date support to the date of the child's birth or to the date that the paternity test was done on the father. My youngest son's father who isn't in prison got away without paying child support for my son back to the date of his birth because in South Carolina they only go back to the date that paternity test was done on the father.

If the law only goes back to the date the test was done then I wouldn't advise him to take the test yet because he will just be adding up arrearages for himself to have to pay when he gets out.

Last edited by Forever_Lovers; 11-23-2007 at 09:23 AM..
Old 11-23-2007, 09:45 PM

Thanks for everyone's information. It was very helpful. I will mention this to my friend and see what happens in the future. Again, thanks for everyone's help.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:07 PM

If he signed a paternity affidavit, then the court will not order a paternity test. Even if the mother is receiving TANF. At the time he signed the affidavit he assumed responciblity for the child. If he is now denying that he is the father and wishes to test.... he can, however if it comes back that he is the father, he will have to pay. If he is not the father the mother will have to pay. If the mother is stating that yes he is his. Atleast if you live in Indiana. Also, child support will only start from the day the court orders it... it will not back date to the day of birth. AND if he is in prison they will not allow it to accumulate unless the order was in place prior to him going to prison. <---- that is a new law that they passed MAY 31, 2007 & we went to court in June, because the HENDRICKS COUNTY CHILDSUPPORT OFFICE kept sending him the paper work!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Well from what I know I dont think the baby's mama is receiving any government help. I'm not exactly sure if he signed the affidavit assuming responsablility on the child, I'm thinking he didnt but again I'm not 100% sure on that. I will however have his girlfriend ask him and see what he says to check that out. In case he is the father I don't quite understand what would be done. Can someone please expalain that to me again. I know nothing about these type of things since I dont have any children and I'm not aware of my friend's situation all the way. In the mean time I will meniton what you guys have told me and ask him anything else that might be helpful to get this straightend out. Again, Thanks!!