Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Texas should be posted here.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Cheyenne Center Halfway House in Houston Texas

Anyone know anything about the Cheyenne Center in Houston?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2007, 08:05 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,583 Posts

Hello and welcome to PTO! I can't help with your question but I wanted to welcome you to PTO and the Texas Forum. Hopefully someone will come along who will have information for you.

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 AM

My husband is set to arrive at cheyenne today!!!!!!!!!! It's been a long year but it's almost over!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedmom59 View Post
Only 2 days of info so far as a family visitor.

The physical facilities seem appropriate for the clients and economy. 4 men to a room, dormatory style. Fence, locking gates. The facility appears to be decently secured from casual coming and going of non-clients. The clients are counseled about the importance of following the rules and watching out for each other as they continue to rehab.

Lifestyle seems similar to that of Safp.
Constant Group therapy, chores, drills, etc., but much more relaxed and friendly. The visitation time is much shorter and less days per week than Safp. The family therapy meetings are longer but at very inconvenient times (for my family anyway- Sat 8am to 1030am) but you do not get a regular visit directly after your group time in addition to the group time, like you do at SAFP.

Visitation is on Sunday only (as of 6/13/08). No other visit times are allowed, except for when you first get there. When you first get there you are allowed a phone call from the house phone. If your family misses this call then the client must call from the pay phone after that. Hopefully they have some quarters or can borrow one to make this call. If you call the desk they will not tell you if your family member is residing there or not, nor give them messages. They might give a message if it was an emergency like a death or regarding their children.

The family is then allowed to drop off personal items such as clothing, shoes, bedding, etc. as soon as they can, even the same day. At this time the client is allowed to come into the lobby to meet with you and visit for about 10-20 minutes in the lobby. There is no set amount of time for this. It is at the discretion of whomever is on the desk at the moment. The top 1st needs for supplies are: underwear, socks, Cargo type shorts, t-shirts, a bedpillow and pillowcases, flip flops/shower shoes, tennis shoes, a blanket or comforter, an alarm clock radio, a wristwatch, roll of quarters, cash for the vending machine and to buy toiletries.
You cannot bring them-food, gum, cigs, cd players, cd's, headphones, tv's, or any jewelry expect wedding ring and wristwatch etc.

The client will look through the things you brought him and keep what he needs and is allowed and you will take back the rest. A security person will search the property and give back anything that is not allowed so it's a good idea to wait for this service before you leave the building. If your client needs more stuff, then you can drop off at designated times at the desk ( Wednesday's only 6-8pm) but your family member cannot come out to meet you again.

After that, you must visit them in a special area at the designated time only. It's a first come first serve system for regular visits.

When they go to "Store" it's offsite at a local Grocery store so it's much cheaper to keep your loved one stocked with the basic necessities. They have a pay phone in the dorm that actually takes quarters so overall phone costs are much less than in the jail. They do their own laundry with quarters too.

They have a swimming pool and workout room there so your family member can get back in shape. My brother lost some muscle mass at Safp because they do not allow clients to workout so he was happy about this. And its hot as Hades in Houston so the pool is a welcome refreshment. So make sure to send your family member some swim trunks/board shorts and/or workout type shorts ASAP so they can take advantage of these amenities right away.

I have not had a chance to get info on what to do about day passes for offsite doctor and dentist visits if needed, medications, school if wanted, work, offsite family events, transport to and from. These things will likely be covered by my brother's counselor soon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dlj189 For This Useful Post:
Bishops Girl (09-20-2009), MamaB58 (08-13-2010), mamajmg (06-14-2008), Tracy (06-15-2008)
Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,158 Times in 729 Posts
Smile

Wow dlj ~ great info! My son is currently at Cheyenne Center.

The only thing I'd like to add is that when I dropped off personal items when he arrived I put closed packs of cigarettes and two rolls of quarters in a zip lock baggie and he was permitted to have them. Also, they are permitted to have an alarm clock but not a radio alarm. The policy is no type of radio's until they are no longer an orientee (approx ten days.)

Concerning day passes ~ After orientation they submit weekly paperwork with requests for passes and reasons for passes must be stated, ie, job search, medical, etc.. When I have taken my son to the doctor (last CC go round) we brought a slip from doctor back. Any and all prescriptions must be given to the personnel at the front desk. The meds will be dispensed by the CC personnel. CC is on a bus line and almost right outside the front door. For those who do not have other means of transportation this is what they have available.

After passing orientatee status you bump up one level in structure and qualify for an eight hour home visit pass. However, if the client is working during the week Saturday is usually the time for make up counseling hours. If they fall short of their hours their passes will not be approved.

As the client continues to move up in structure the passes will increase from eight hours to ten and eventually an overnight or weekend pass.

Personally I enjoy the family groups. It's a fairly relaxed setting and the ones I've attended may be head by the counselor but participation by all is encouraged.

dlj - were you there today? If so, wish I'd known, there were three of us PTO'ers there!

Janice

"Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will bring me safely through. Your fist is clenched against my enemies. Your power will save me."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamajmg For This Useful Post:
Bishops Girl (09-20-2009), Tracy (06-15-2008)
Old 09-14-2009, 03:20 PM

Smile Cheyenne Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajmg View Post
Wow dlj ~ great info! My son is currently at Cheyenne Center.

The only thing I'd like to add is that when I dropped off personal items when he arrived I put closed packs of cigarettes and two rolls of quarters in a zip lock baggie and he was permitted to have them. Also, they are permitted to have an alarm clock but not a radio alarm. The policy is no type of radio's until they are no longer an orientee (approx ten days.)

Concerning day passes ~ After orientation they submit weekly paperwork with requests for passes and reasons for passes must be stated, ie, job search, medical, etc.. When I have taken my son to the doctor (last CC go round) we brought a slip from doctor back. Any and all prescriptions must be given to the personnel at the front desk. The meds will be dispensed by the CC personnel. CC is on a bus line and almost right outside the front door. For those who do not have other means of transportation this is what they have available.

After passing orientatee status you bump up one level in structure and qualify for an eight hour home visit pass. However, if the client is working during the week Saturday is usually the time for make up counseling hours. If they fall short of their hours their passes will not be approved.

As the client continues to move up in structure the passes will increase from eight hours to ten and eventually an overnight or weekend pass.

Personally I enjoy the family groups. It's a fairly relaxed setting and the ones I've attended may be head by the counselor but participation by all is encouraged.

dlj - were you there today? If so, wish I'd known, there were three of us PTO'ers there!

Janice
Thank you SO much for your info. My son will be going there in December. God Bless each of you parents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brad'sMom829 For This Useful Post:
Bishops Girl (09-20-2009)
Old 09-14-2009, 03:22 PM

If anyone else comes up with anything else about Cheyenne Center please email me. Do they get a job while there? Does the center feed them? Can they get weekend passes? Thanks everybody. Brad's Mom
Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 PM

I am in the process about learning the Cheyenne Center also. My husband is supposed to be going there in Dec. Or at least we hope that is where he goes. It is closer to his moms house so at least I will have somewhere to stay when I make the 7 hour drive to visit. Anything I can find out I will post as soon as I found them out.....just hang in there.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad'sMom829 View Post
If anyone else comes up with anything else about Cheyenne Center please email me. Do they get a job while there? Does the center feed them? Can they get weekend passes? Thanks everybody. Brad's Mom
They are provided a hot breakfast, lunch and dinner. Once they have a job they can submit for a sack lunch.

They "earn" their passes by accomplishments. Attending their required number of group meetings, counseling sessions, etc.. The passes start off as eight hour day passes but they can earn their way up to two twelve or 24 hour pass. All passes have to be submitted to their counselor for approval prior.

Hope this helps some.

"Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will bring me safely through. Your fist is clenched against my enemies. Your power will save me."

The Following User Says Thank You to mamajmg For This Useful Post:
Bishops Girl (09-24-2009)
Old 11-01-2009, 08:59 PM

Default Concern over having my son working for free at Cheyyene Center!

I'm concerned at reports that Joshua(my son, who I call Cubby) has given me regarding the kitchen. He claims that orientees are being exploited by being forced to fill the role of paid employees in the kitchen. They are being told that clients are the labor force in the kitchen, and they are often only under the supervision of one person(probably underpaid). Also, because the other TDCJ clients know there are no staff, there is constant thievery and shenanigans going on. In fact, the kitchen pantry was broken into, and the dining room window smashed. The window happened a while back he said, but the breakin was recent. He said he has no idea how this kind of center works, but the story he told me makes me worried about Cubby being exploited. Is this true? And can they use clients instead of paying to staff the kitchen?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Personally I do not feel it's exploitation. Each new arrival takes his turn as an orientee working in the kitchen. Orientation phase lasts about ten days. Once they complete that phase they can submit for a different "position". There are guys who request the kitchen job during the remaining phases.

It's been since August '08 since my son left the CC and I know there have been some changes made. The purpose of holding varying "jobs" around the facility is to "contribute to your family responsibilities." It's continuing the therapeutic concept that family works together, family is affected by your actions, etc..

I hope that makes you feel some better. In my opinion CC seems to be one of the better h/way houses. Not perfect - but they work at it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamajmg For This Useful Post:
Bishops Girl (11-04-2009), WilcoMom (11-02-2009)
Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM
MISSING MY BABY BOY

Hi, my boyfriend is suppost to be going to cheyenne 12.10.09 2 weeks ofter his projected release date, i've read the previews postings but does anyonen know what kind of changes they have made or any new info would be appreciated i tried calling but had no luck getting info out of the lady who i talked to she told me to call back when his date gets closer!!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

The changes I refer to are mainly due to their growth. When my son was at CC the first time they were in a smaller and much older former apartment building - shortly before he left they relocated to their current facility - a slightly renovated old Holiday Inn.

In the beginning they were still operating as they had originally with less "clients". They found it necessary to implement more accountability and alter some of their structure. From what I understand it was more from the administrative / management end.

Other changes would be any guidelines that are passed on to them through license adherence.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 AM

My loved one is currently in Sayle , and is supposed to be released in october to a halfway house..we both are hoping that he gets The Cheyenne Center. Its close to home and when he gets a job , he does not have to give it up when he is released. Can anyone give me any updated info about the place..about the family counseling sessions?..does someone licensed run them?..do they actually get the help they need?..this is his 2nd go round..and it has to be his last..some of the failure the first time is no real attention paid to treatment..no actual counseling..and his bad decision making skills and addiction to alcohol contributed to the other reason he is going back through..The last halfway house he was in (beaumont) was a joke..clients were comming back from passes drunk, selling drugs inside..I do not want a repeat of the same..
Old 08-14-2010, 06:34 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

[quote=bbwbuty2003;5593654] Can anyone give me any updated info about the place..about the family counseling sessions?..
Counseling sessions are given by licensed substance abuse counselors on Saturdays.

..do they actually get the help they need?..
Therapeutic facilities offer help in the form of behavior modifications, counseling - groups and individual... etc.. Is it the help they need? Gosh, I really don't know how to answer that....it's what is available through the programs I'm familiar with. I personally feel that recovery is a difficult journey whether the "help" is wanted or given as a form of punishment. I've met more than one person who seemed sincere in wanting sobriety but still struggled in applying the tools given once they returned to the free world. In speaking to counselors - it is an up and down journey of relapse and sobriety - with eventually more ups than downs to accomplish it. And they will still work at it the rest of their life.
clients were comming back from passes drunk, selling drugs inside..I do not want a repeat of the same..
I've witnessed the same thing and find it so sad but it is the choice of the individual not of the halfway house that it occurs. It's going to happen - and hopefully the halfway houses are taking a stern and serious approach in dealing with it. The majority of the clients at h/way houses have been through the program due to legal penalty and not choice - and although the purpose of the h/way house requirement is to help with a semi structured environment to assist in re entry - there are still those who just get the taste of freedom and go back to old ways.

I hope I've been helpful with just some opinions and general info!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 PM

Default Cheyenne Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedmom59 View Post
My son has been in the Cheyenne Center in Houston for a couple of months. He did not go to work today because the entire place is on restriction. This means no contact nor information. If you call them they will not tell you anything and you are not allowed contact until visitation on Sunday. It is frustrating but he is going to complete his program the first week of March and he is ready to be out of this. What do you want to know about the program because it also depends if you want the TDCJ information or other program information.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 PM

Default My son is going to Cheyenne Center

I would like to know a lot of things. My son is suppose to going there at the end of the month or the 1st of next month. Do I need to take him clothes there or to TDCJ before he goes? What's it like there? Do they help him get a job & start his life over? I am a concerned parent & I have been there for my son the whole time. He is about to finish the program in the Estelle Unit & move on to this place for 3 months, then home & on probation for 3 more years. I just want him home again & away from all of this & back in college & on the road to recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom62 View Post
My son has been in the Cheyenne Center in Houston for a couple of months. He did not go to work today because the entire place is on restriction. This means no contact nor information. If you call them they will not tell you anything and you are not allowed contact until visitation on Sunday. It is frustrating but he is going to complete his program the first week of March and he is ready to be out of this. What do you want to know about the program because it also depends if you want the TDCJ information or other program information.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrw2 View Post
I would like to know a lot of things. My son is suppose to going there at the end of the month or the 1st of next month. Do I need to take him clothes there or to TDCJ before he goes? What's it like there? Do they help him get a job & start his life over? I am a concerned parent & I have been there for my son the whole time. He is about to finish the program in the Estelle Unit & move on to this place for 3 months, then home & on probation for 3 more years. I just want him home again & away from all of this & back in college & on the road to recovery.
I would like to know a little more about this place to. My husband will be going there on march 21. There was a guy at the Sayle unit where my husband is at that told him this place isn't that bad but that's all he said. Do they have visitation? How long before he can come home and visit? clothes, blankets, etc...thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 AM

My husband is at the cheyenne center and hates it! He says they are not organized at all. they have them back and forth. He also mentioned that when he was given his blanket to use on his bed it had roaches on it. gross!!! can't wait till he gets out of there. Right now there on lock down
Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM

Default I really need some input if anyone can help, please!

My fiancee is set to be at The Cheyenne Center in Houston on the 19th of this month. He is currently in Brownwood, TX. I have never heard of this place he is going to and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out on finding information about this place. The website alone gives no kind of input on how things are ran there. Houston is 2 hours North of where we live, me and his family. His Mom really doesn't like that I try to find out any type of information about what is going on with him and I really don't know why. I see me finding out the information a way of helping us understand what he's going thru since she has no way of finding anything out. I am begging anyone and everyone to please give me some input on how things are ran at Cheyenne. What I've read are older posts and I think some things have probably changed since these posts. If anyone has any information please e-mail me at please PM member for personal email and put The Cheyenne Center as the title. Thank you everyone!

Last edited by Renee; 04-10-2011 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: personal email removed per PTO policy