Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TDCJ - What You Need to Know > Texas Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in Texas facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the Texas forum.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Visitation at Gurney?

I'm not sure when I will be allowed to visit my husband at Gurney but want to know all about it when we are allowed visits. I know it will only be non-contact visits for a while. How early should I get there? How long of a wait will I have? etc. Any advice would really be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2007, 06:08 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,583 Posts

He will be able to have visits after he clears the intake process which may take a little while but is usually fairly quick. You will be able to have contact visits after he has been in TDC custody for 90 days. I haven't ever visited Gurney but maybe someone will come along and offer you more help. I hope you get to visit soon.

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 09-29-2007, 07:51 PM

I tried to get there by 7 a.m. to get in the long line of cars at the highway gate. All vehicles are searched before you can enter and you have to show your ID there, then go inside and park at the Gurney Unit which is the first prison on your left after your car is checked. Park your car, don't leave the windows down (you can crack them just alittle) and take your ID with you to the small building just outside the gate. Stand in line there with your money (no more than $20 in coins only--no folding money; have money in a clear ziplock bag or clear coin purse). Each visitor goes into the little building and hands their ID to the guard behind the counter. TEll him/her your loved one's TDC number. Then they'll print out a sheet for you to take inside with you. Then go back outside and place your belongings and the sheet in a tray on a small table. Sign in on the clipboard there and step onto the rubber pad and have the next guard wave the metal detector wand over you. Gather your belongings and the sheet of paper and walk to the gate. Once the guard in the tower opens the gate for you. Close the gate behind you. HOle your ID card up to the camera lens and then the guard will open the other gate for you. Go thru that gate and close it and walk straight up the sidewalk to the building. The first door inside the bldg. on the right is for contact visits. Go to the second door on the right and that's where they have the non contact visits. Hand your ID and the sheet to the guard inside the room and they'll tell you where to sit. It is a long process. When my husband was there, i told him he better appreciate all the crap I had to go thru just to get a two-hour visit behind a glass. LOL
Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Thank you so much for the information. It helps alot. How bad is the line if you wait until later in the day. I can't wait to go see him even if it is a non-contact visit.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:58 PM
awaitn Sept 2nd!!!

hi....just wanted to add....my husband was first at Gurney then when it was time for visits...after he was processed...i called and he had already been moved to Hutchins State Jail...but dont worry b/c im sure you'll get to see him as soon as he's transferred(if he's transferred) b/c i still got to see my husband that same weekend even though he'd been moved. MAKE SURE U CALL BEFORE U GO...to make sure he's still there...not transferred. Hope i helped! And yes! That first visit IS ALL WORTH IT!