Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Pennsylvania prison system.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Muncy Womens Prison

Hello everyone- does anyone know anything about the womens prison here or any other womens prison in penn?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 AM

Muncy is the higher security women's prison, where all women in PA go for classification. Cambridge Springs is the lower security women's prison, which uses an old college campus. From what I hear, both are pretty bad -- just think about all that PMS all in one place! I know 2 women who have been through both, but can't convince either one to participate in PTO. If you have any specific questions that I don't already know the answer to, I could try asking, though.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:10 AM

cool! thanks for such a quick response. well basically my mom is trying to transfer outta where she is now its horrible 5000 women, 8 girls to a room. anyway so im on a mission trying to find a decent prison- as far as decent in a prison can be - yaknow- and our family is moving too- so im hoping we can call move/transfer to somewhere near each other (shes a lifer) anyway,thanks for your help
ask the girls you now how many girls to a cell? or is it a dorm? metal bed planks/bunks or spring matress bunkbeds (my mom has horrible back/neck issues, and yes there are some prisons that actually have spring normal matresses/bunkbeds, and for someone with all the pain shes in thats a huge huge issue), also how many electric appliances are you allowed? property issues? hows the healthcare in there?
sorry for all the questions lol-
thanks again!

Last edited by smiths; 09-28-2007 at 07:12 AM..
Old 09-28-2007, 02:44 PM

A couple of your questions are fairly standard & I can answer. The others I will have to check on. My first reaction was that a lifer would be at Muncy, but then I remembered someone had mentioned a lifer at Cambridge Springs. I checked the inmate locater, and sure enough, several ladies at CS have ID numbers indicating that they have been in for a long long time. At Muncy, women would be 2 to a cell, or single-celled in some cases. CS uses a dormitory in which the doors of the rooms have been taken off. The only CO could be several floors away. I believe someone told me that they were 4 to a room. I believe the foam mattresses are fairly standard for the DOC. My son told me it didn't make much difference whether they were actually on the bed or on the floor. I've never heard of a limit on the number of appliances, but, then, they are only allowed radios, typewriters, & TV's that are electrical! The DOC also has limits on the amount of property that can be kept in a cell (see http://www.cor.state.pa.us/standards...Commissary.pdf ), which may or may not be enforced. My biggest question would be how you plan to get her transferred to Muncy from out-of-state. Muncy is for women who have committed a crime in the state of PA. I've never heard of someone who committed a crime in another state being in a DOC facility.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:04 PM

hi! wow thanks again for your quick response! Almost every state in the US has a "interstate compact agreement" which means an inmate can transfer to a different prison within that compact agreement. state to state transfers- due to overcrowding, or theat or harm issues(gang etc), or family unification etc. And calif has one with penn. most prisons will try to transfer an inmate due to family near-by if possible. some states dont care much about family ties etc. but some states do, and some prisons to their credit really do try to help inmate and family be able to be in the same state if possible.

yeah see i did also look at CS and saw that the prison profile said it was for people "The campus was converted into a minimum-security facility for women, the majority of whom are nearing their release from prison."

so she wouldnt be able to go there. well thanks for the info so far 2 man cell at muncy, thats great! ask your friend if they ever had one of those "virtual visits" thats a pretty cool thing to looks like. we got family all over the US and they'd love to be able to have a visit like that- i assume it would be over a computer/webcam or something.. i wish all prisons would start doing that sorta thing! so many families are seperated outta state, or just to long of a drive especially for the old parents of inmates... makes me sad to think of all the aging parents who cant get around phsyically to see their kids in prison ya know :'(
Old 09-28-2007, 04:11 PM

I don't know of any women who used the virtual visitation, but I did have male students who had them. That prison had criteria of the inmate not having had visits in x amount of time, etc. I guess it's pretty cool. But, I think you have to be in Philadelphia to take advantage of it