Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Divorcing An Inmate

My Husband Is Currently At Ironwood. Does Anyone Know What Or How To Go About Getting A Divorce. It's A Long Story And I'm Tired Of Being Unappreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Account Closed

Answer to your question is:
File your papers like you would any normal divorce process is and then you via mail his copy that he needs to sign. Nothing so special because hes in prison... Just file, submit and serve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by linlin213
My Husband Is Currently At Ironwood. Does Anyone Know What Or How To Go About Getting A Divorce. It's A Long Story And I'm Tired Of Being Unappreciated!!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyswife
Answer to your question is:
File your papers like you would any normal divorce process is and then you via mail his copy that he needs to sign. Nothing so special because hes in prison... Just file, submit and serve...
maybe she wanted someone to be a little more specific like where do you get the papers how much does is cost? things like that i am sure this is her first divorce

***My Husband is home and I am loving almost every second of it!!!***
Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
You might want to post this in the legal forum or the California general forum as well. I'm sorry, not much help but I don't have a clue about divorces in Cali. Good Luck!

Last edited by dracheswife; 09-12-2007 at 09:37 PM..
Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 PM

where do you leave? while it should be the same...in los angeles you go downtown on hill street to the superior court building 4th floor room 426 tell them you want to file for divorce and they wil give the papers its a lot if you need help in the same office there is a workshop center that can help. the one thing about some of the people in this office they don't give you all of the information you'll need... so ask questions about what the next step is. the cost for the process is $360.00 or $380.00 i forgot which one plus the cost of copies and there may be a cost for the process to serve him but his in prison so i just think you just mail them cerified so you can track them. he'll have so many days to respone. they have fee waviers so ask. also the waiting period after the final papers are filed 6 months hopes this help.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 PM

Well its kind of like what bonegirl said but there is a different way but sort of the same...

I went to the courthouse closes to my district they have a place where you can get help (workshop center) in there but you can go online to the courthouse that's in your district and download the papers. You can also fill them out online, print a few copies, send a certified copy to him, if you're lucky and he signs them and sends it back to you than you take that copy into the court. I didn't have to pay anything, I wasn't working at the time and asked for a waiver, the judge has to approve it which if you don't have an income how can you pay for it? He approved it and your husband has 6 months to contest it. If after the 6 months he doesn't than there are a few more papers to fill out (you can do them online) and you have to make triplicates (sp) and send them into court. Be sure that if you don't take them and you mail them send EVERYTHING by certified mail... I'm sure if you're in Cali or what part but make sure that you ask plenty of questions b/c as she mentioned they won't tell you sh*t... if you need any other information that you think I can help with let me know im me

~~He's coming home and that's all I know~~

Denon~
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

You need to get a set for disolution of marriage. I provided you a link that has every single paper in a packet already. You need to fill them out and serve him with certain documents, you will need to do it ceritifed because he needs to sign for them. He has 30 days to respond once he is served papers, if not it then becomes a uncontested divorce and you will be granted one in 6 months. Now, if he responds then it becomes an contested divorce. The Orange County website gives you the first set. Once you find out if it becomes contested or uncontested log back onto OC website and go back thru the step and it will give you the next step. A contested has a lot more steps. You will then start the rest of the divorce.

Do ask a lot of questions and I can help also.

I am going through mine right now and my fiances. Mine was uncontested and his was contested.

http://www.occourts.org/selfhelp/whatformsdv1.asp
Old 09-12-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denon
Well its kind of like what bonegirl said but there is a different way but sort of the same...

I went to the courthouse closes to my district they have a place where you can get help (workshop center) in there but you can go online to the courthouse that's in your district and download the papers. You can also fill them out online, Los Angeles is so as* backwards that's why i didn't tell you about this part for online everything is not there that you need. print a few copies, send a certified copy to him, if you're lucky and he signs them and sends it back to you than you take that copy into the court. I didn't have to pay anything, I wasn't working at the time and asked for a waiver, the judge has to approve it which if you don't have an income how can you pay for it? you can't make more than $1,060.00 if one cent more then yes the jugde will have to approve it but the clerk can approve it on the spot if less. make sure you have prove of income or if recieving assistance. He approved it and your husband has 6 months to contest it. If after the 6 months he doesn't than there are a few more papers to fill out (you can do them online) and you have to make triplicates (sp) and send them into court. Be sure that if you don't take them and you mail them send EVERYTHING by certified mail... I'm sure if you're in Cali or what part but make sure that you ask plenty of questions b/c as she mentioned they won't tell you sh*t... if you need any other information that you think I can help with let me know im me
oh one more thing the court that i was speaking of on Hill Street is redoing there program.so again ask lots of questions.....good luck

denon thanks for your input i did forget a little.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 AM

i should of been more specific. i married him in prison & i heard from a friend that you can file for divorce in prison and it is much easier and faster. anyone have any idea?????
Old 09-13-2007, 11:39 AM

by the way, thanks ladies. you are all very helpful
Old 09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Pushin' threw it!

Quote:
i should of been more specific. i married him in prison & i heard from a friend that you can file for divorce in prison and it is much easier and faster. anyone have any idea?????
He can divorce you from prison and *I Think* it only costs him a 1.00 or free....don't quote me on that tho'...yeah it is much easier cuz they'll take care of the paper work and serve you....but faster I dunno it is the state...

Good Luck
Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Banned

Yes, if he files it is free as lnog as he is incarcerated or 1.00.
Also, if it has been less than a year you can get an annulment.
Quote:
Old 09-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Account Closed

okay, but who do they go through, mines gettin the run around.. they tell him 2 see the law clerks and then they say no, u talk to the chaplain.. either way, he's sent requests for both of them, and im prayin they hurry up, maybe i'll call the chaplain my self.. his ex set him up for the police once she realized the relationship was over, so he's determined to make them un official, but im wondering how long we'll have to wait until we can get married ...
Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

You can always file the divorce for him and if they do this in florida like california just submit the fee waiver for him. I am doing my mans because the prison would have taken longer. hes been moved 3 times since this has started,

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8
okay, but who do they go through, mines gettin the run around.. they tell him 2 see the law clerks and then they say no, u talk to the chaplain.. either way, he's sent requests for both of them, and im prayin they hurry up, maybe i'll call the chaplain my self.. his ex set him up for the police once she realized the relationship was over, so he's determined to make them un official, but im wondering how long we'll have to wait until we can get married ...
Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:

Florida has some real good and easy information to follow when it come to obtaining a divorce. If you want more information let me know and I will dig up the web sites for you to get you started.
I am not 100% sure but I believe it takes six months to get your fianl in Florida so 6 months 1 day and you can get married.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Not any eaiser or faster I can tell you that. There are steps that must be followed. If you married him in prison it doesn't matter still will take the time perscribed by law to do your divorce. If ther are no children makes it a little easier, neither party fights the divorce just makes it eaiser again.
From my expernices I have found getting the respondant served has been the biggest issue that most have in these matters. Reason being it must be a personal serve( papers must be given to the respondent) Exes can be hard to find when it comes serving time trust me. I know a few dirty tricks when it comes to serving people (totally legal)
There has bee some real good information given out here so far. I am going to post a couple of links to help those of you in California, take a look at them if you want.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/divorce/
http://www.ezlegalfile.com/go.jsp?act=actShowHome If you county is listed here. This site will walk you through the whole process of divorce.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=fam&codebody=&hits=20 This is the link to Family laws of California, start at Chapter 200 is the start for divorce.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Donation Award 

it is cheaper as far as the inmate filing the divorce papers
if you do it you have to have it sent certified, request signature of inmate and have them send you the certifed card back to you because if any one eles signs but him it wont go through the courts
Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 PM

Its free if he files!!
Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Banned

Its free for all California inmates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgurl
Its free if he files!!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:

I finaly found you some information that maybe you should read before you start the divorce process in Flordia. The link below is to Family Law Forms for Florida If you need anything else (other then legal advice) let me know
http://www.flcourts.org/gen_public/family/forms_rules/index.shtml
Attached Files
File Type: pdf geninfo.pdf (136.8 KB, 13 views)