Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > The Okie Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Okie Lounge The spot to talk about anything off-topic and non-prison related with fellow Oklahoma members.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Prison volunteer/mentor

Question College Scholarships for inmates and ex-offenders???

Does anyone know where current inmates as well as ex-offenders can get scholarships for college???? I have several in need of funding??? thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 10:57 PM

If they are N8TV americans they can usually receive funding from their respective tribes (incarcerated or free) As for non-N8TV's this can be a challenge...I will ask around and see what I can find out...
Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Prison volunteer/mentor

Talking thanks

thanks, any help would be great!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:44 AM

I have been looking as well for my husband but so far have found very few that do long distance .
Old 05-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

Location: Elm street, Commerce, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, The Milky Way,The Universe
Thanked 1,354 Times in 624 Posts

Bummer. ... College and trade classes can be available to inmates if they or family members pay all expences.... But if your in financial ruin, you are just more out of luck. I know. It's sad.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:50 PM

What gets me is most people fresh out of prison or still in,do not have money. So what are these programs made for? Isn't the idea of getting an education, to better yourself? How can anyone better themselves if the programs have such huge stipulations?
The Following User Says Thank You to lilithinwaiting For This Useful Post:
iluvaaron710 (11-13-2010)
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
The 1 he cant ever let go

That's a good question! Because my hubby was saying something the other day about taking college classes while he's in there, but of course, family has to pay, and Lord knows we dont have the money for it! Im doin good just taking care of myself! I really dont see why they offer things like that if the inmates/inmates family cant even afford it! And are they even able to get any grants or loans? I doubt it. I would LOVE to see my man go to college, it would help him a lot!!i wish we had the money!
Old 07-10-2008, 03:29 PM
My promise was TILL DEATH

well.. my husband was at jess dunn in taft and he took college classes full time at connors state college on a scholarship for almost 2 years. the inmate has to be 26 or under to qualify for the scholarship... and i know lawton also has a college shoot... i can't think of the name right now but it's local but i think that your loved one has to be on a level 3 or 4 to be able to take college classes at lawton. the scholarship is for any and all inmates under 26 years of age as long as they are at a facility that offers college courses. ummm, at jess dunn there is what they call a "school building" and the lady over that building is the one that made the scholarship arrangements. your loved ones counselor should be able to direct you in the right direction. hopefully that is..

Last edited by Brownsuga; 07-10-2008 at 03:31 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 PM
My promise was TILL DEATH

oh and also.. you are right.. if the inmate is over 26 the inmate or inmates family is financially responsible for making the payment arrangements.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM

Default There is some money out there

some churches give will give scholarships to inmates for college
Old 07-15-2008, 12:10 AM

Default $$ for college

Churches? that's great! How do we get in contact with one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatchdog View Post
some churches give will give scholarships to inmates for college
Old 08-15-2008, 11:40 AM

So here's my question, what happens to when they go on lockdown? Do they just miss out on their classes? Or do they pick back up where they left off? I was just wondering.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:54 PM

Question Help for my son

Hi All,
New here and I am trying to find help for my son. I will try to spare all of the details, but this family has truly had enough! I will only start from my admittance into a nursing home after suffering a stroke. I have re-existing conditions and was working 2 jobs - spouse abandoned - and had stroke at 2nd job. Was in for a year. Lost everything while in, kids were scattered, you know, big mess. Then a year later when they released me, in a wheelchair, with kids, they released me homeless. Oldest son was working like crazy and took a credit card from someone at work and it was a stolen card, well they held him responsible. Blah, blah, he did some time, like 30 days, but I guess there was some other things that were not cleared up. 2.5 years later, this year we finally got housing, and thought things would get better. Nope, daughter fell in love, ran away, I have been in and out of hospital, had a few major deaths and near deaths. Doctors would not let me work, yet no one would give me money, go figure. Anyway, son came back into town willingly, after making a huge change in his life and I mean HUGE, and went with a lawyer I recommended (well known), to take care of all that was hanging over him. The judge let him go. Well the detective didn't like it and stalled them as they were trying to get to the other sity to take care of the last and only other situation. Detective brought it up on computer and took him in on it so it looked like he did not come in on his own free will. Needless to say, you know what happened. My son is on paper now that he is out, in another city, has his own business, was working until his 30 days were up and because he is too "good at the job, they believe he would do better elsewhere." The business he has is mainly for the summer months. I am going to 2 colleges myself, and he is so tired of this black cloud over us. He wishes to go to college for pre-med.
I am worried, suicide runs on his fathers side of the family, I really do not think he would do that, but, he does have ADHD (he controls it like I do) and I believe he may be bi-polar. He has a wonderful girl by his side and her family is very supportive of Eli as well. He cannot stand much more because he is always worried about me because he knows I am terminally ill, my daughter is who she is, has done what she has done, and the twins, well he knows that they can not help like he wishes them to. He needs to get something to work for him. This family needs something to happen that stays consistent and if he could get into to school on a grant or scholarship so many of my prayers would be answered.
Could someone please lead me to some kind of an answer? I am so tired.
Thanx 4 reading & responding to a crazy lady like myself ~ Shel
Old 10-26-2009, 05:39 PM
...and the winds blew!

Man trulytsage!
Lord bless you hun, you and your family have been though alot of hard situations lately. I'm so sorry but I don't really have any answers for you concerning college programs for inmates or ex-offenders but I do want to welcome you to PTO.

I noticed you are in Ohio. Is your son also or is he in prison here in Oklahoma? If he is in OH also you may want to check out the Ohio forums and repost your questions there as thse things vary so from state to state.

Hopefully somebody will come along with some answers for you soon. I am sooo very sorry for what you have and are going through. God Bless you real big, hon!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Default NATV College Scholarships for N8TV Prisoners with Non Drug Related Crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvokikam View Post
If they are N8TV americans they can usually receive funding from their respective tribes (incarcerated or free) As for non-N8TV's this can be a challenge...I will ask around and see what I can find out...
Would I begin by asking my son's tribe for scholarship money? If the answer is no, do you know of anywhere else being N8TV, he may receive scholarship money to secure an undergraduate degree? thanks

Last edited by taosmarci; 10-29-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Default God is everything

TrulySage, although i dont have the answer, trust that i know what its like to be overwhelmed and feel like giving up. I also have a family member who is trying to find work after being incarcerated. He is now thinking about becoming a truck driver. Some truck driving schools offer tuition assistance or reimbursement and will hire ex-felons whose charges arent within 3 or 5 years..but it varies with schools and programs. Not sure what your sons situation is but know that God is there and there is nothing to hard for Him! Prayer Changes Things. Keep your head up.

Much love,
kbutterfly23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulysage View Post
Hi All,
New here and I am trying to find help for my son. I will try to spare all of the details, but this family has truly had enough! I will only start from my admittance into a nursing home after suffering a stroke. I have re-existing conditions and was working 2 jobs - spouse abandoned - and had stroke at 2nd job. Was in for a year. Lost everything while in, kids were scattered, you know, big mess. Then a year later when they released me, in a wheelchair, with kids, they released me homeless. Oldest son was working like crazy and took a credit card from someone at work and it was a stolen card, well they held him responsible. Blah, blah, he did some time, like 30 days, but I guess there was some other things that were not cleared up. 2.5 years later, this year we finally got housing, and thought things would get better. Nope, daughter fell in love, ran away, I have been in and out of hospital, had a few major deaths and near deaths. Doctors would not let me work, yet no one would give me money, go figure. Anyway, son came back into town willingly, after making a huge change in his life and I mean HUGE, and went with a lawyer I recommended (well known), to take care of all that was hanging over him. The judge let him go. Well the detective didn't like it and stalled them as they were trying to get to the other sity to take care of the last and only other situation. Detective brought it up on computer and took him in on it so it looked like he did not come in on his own free will. Needless to say, you know what happened. My son is on paper now that he is out, in another city, has his own business, was working until his 30 days were up and because he is too "good at the job, they believe he would do better elsewhere." The business he has is mainly for the summer months. I am going to 2 colleges myself, and he is so tired of this black cloud over us. He wishes to go to college for pre-med.
I am worried, suicide runs on his fathers side of the family, I really do not think he would do that, but, he does have ADHD (he controls it like I do) and I believe he may be bi-polar. He has a wonderful girl by his side and her family is very supportive of Eli as well. He cannot stand much more because he is always worried about me because he knows I am terminally ill, my daughter is who she is, has done what she has done, and the twins, well he knows that they can not help like he wishes them to. He needs to get something to work for him. This family needs something to happen that stays consistent and if he could get into to school on a grant or scholarship so many of my prayers would be answered. Could someone please lead me to some kind of an answer? I am so tired.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:25 AM

As i give these to you i take them in myself..

<LI class=d>"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength." Isa 40:31<LI class=d>"Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord." Ps 31:24<LI class=d>"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I put my hope." Ps 130:5Also Isaiah 53-2-6 talks about how Jesus died for our sins and through his bruises we are healed. Any time a loved one gets sick or emotionally going through something i rememeber Isaiah 53:5.

Not sure where you are in your faith but know ive gone through some hard things and if it hadnt been for Jesus I would not be here. He really does save and wants us to have a relationship with him and know him through his word. I have found that he is the only Savior and have to learn to put my trust in Him for everything...Keep pushing and i will do the same.

much love
kbutterfly23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulysage View Post
Hi All,
I am worried, suicide runs on his fathers side of the family, I really do not think he would do that, but, he does have ADHD (he controls it like I do) and I believe he may be bi-polar. He has a wonderful girl by his side and her family is very supportive of Eli as well. He cannot stand much more because he is always worried about me because he knows I am terminally ill, my daughter is who she is, has done what she has done, and the twins, well he knows that they can not help like he wishes them to. He needs to get something to work for him. This family needs something to happen that stays consistent and if he could get into to school on a grant or scholarship so many of my prayers would be answered. Could someone please lead me to some kind of an answer? I am so tired.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Papi's Girl

Default Scholarships or Grants for Inmates

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, so please bear with me.

My boyfriend is incarcerated, and would like to attend college during his time. The problem is the funds.

Does anyone know of any resources for scholarships or grants for inmates who would like to get a college degree.

My boyfriend is also 1/2 cherokee indian. I don't know if they may have specifc scholarships, grants, or funding for native americans.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Wendy
++Waiting on My Papi++12-16-2016