Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jails > Arizona State Prison Complex - Perryville
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Arizona State Prison Complex - Perryville Topics and discussion specific to ASPC - Perryville in Goodyear, Arizona.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Arizona Womens Prison ...whats it like?

Hey everyone, my mom (Lifer) is in a california womens prison (5000 poplulation) and shes thinking about getting a transfer to Arizona..im trying to find out some info about that prison is there just 1 womens prison there?where? and what is it like? how many girls to a room? are you always locked in? what kinda program do they have? etc. medical treatment? etc...

ANY kind of info would be GREAT!
thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!

(she is also considering some other prisons too, which im going to post at also so i can get info)...but basically where ever she transfers to, we will move too)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Winniewon2001

Hi, I'm Winnie, I'm an RN and used to work in Arizona prisons in Florence and Eloy, for a doctor's registry-not directly for the prison. Florence is the main prison town in Arizona, there are several. Arizona has contracts with many other states to take there prisoners. The states I know of are; Alaska, New Mexico, Cali, Utah, oh, and Federal Marshalls. I think there are 8 states that contract w AZ. It is a big money-making machine there. I could feel the bad energy as I rode into town. The women were in a separate wing. The healthcare sucks, they don't give a shit. I remember one woman who had breast cancer and we were using menstrual pads to absorb the blood. I called the Dr to get her transered to a hospital for treatment and it was refused. No pain meds given. Also I speak Spanish and many of the inmates are illegal aliens, while I was passing out meds to people prescribed meds or taking BP or something I often got crap for speaking Spanish. I was told it is a security risk. I was usually asking "so how are you?" or something that a nurse would ask a patient. I stopped working for them -even though the pay was really good for AZ, because I decided they should just get a machine to dispense the meds because you're not allowed to care. I was taught to be a patient advocate, not to treat a person like an animal.
Depending on what it's like for your mom in Cali, I would highly suggest not going there, although my experience is limited.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Jessesmo

I do believe most of the women are out in Perryville now. They have a ton of programs. Go to the ADOC website and look at the programs offered. Perryville is about 30 miles west of downtown Phoenix. It is just north of Interstate 10. I believe they have dorm style housing. I know they show it on the news quite often with all the things the women are involved in. My Hubbie was actually there in 1998 before it changed to Women and he loved it....

My Hubbie is HOME
Old 12-29-2007, 01:50 AM

wow! thanks so much Winniewon2001 ...i appriciate the info!! thats a sad commenatry of that place for sure...whats sad too is thats how most prisons treat prisoners! its sickening.

also thanks jessesmp!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:53 AM

thansk for the info!!!!! truly appriciated!!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Hi there,
Don't know if you've decided on this yet, but my partner is actually very active in advocating for inmates in a special forum there. I can ask her what the details are as far as lifers (where housed etc). Depending on classification scores, your loved one could end up on either the medium (santa Cruz) or max (Lumley) yards. Lumley residents are not allowed to do the programs that medium inmates are allowed to participate in. If she is doing OK in Cali, I'd stay put. There are "politics" to a move like that- your mom is probably well aware of what I mean.. Getting to know a new place, officers, and other residents has its own challenges. Plus, you should know that there is NO AIR CONDITIONING in the 100+ degree weather here which begins in May/June. It is inhumane.. dehydration is common, and a couple of women have even died in the summers there. If you have questions, feel free to respond.
take care

Last edited by Rachel; 06-04-2014 at 12:02 AM.. Reason: removal of personal info
Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 PM

PS- it is NOT dorm style housing for the lifers. If she ends up on the max yard (lumley) they are locked down for 23 hours a day.. 2 women in a tiny 6 by 10 foot cell.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 PM

wow thanks for the info!!!! truly appreciated! thanks alot!

Last edited by Rachel; 06-04-2014 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: removal of old user name