Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > CANADA PRISON FORUMS > Canada Prisons - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Canada Prisons - What You Need to Know Whatever you need to know about the prison system in Canada can probably be found here!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Info on Maplehurst

I am new to PTO and it has been so helpful reading through different threads. I have been searching the internet to find info on Maplehurst Correctional Complex and I have had such a difficult time finding any. If anyone has any useful info that would be great.

Meems
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 PM

Hi Meems

My son is in Maplehurst. PM me if you want and I will try to answer any questions you might have.

Carol
Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Hi Carol,
I am new to all this and I was wondering how visits work? How often? Are they through the glass with the phone? I have also heard that they have seperate sections within the complex, how are the inmates separated?
Sorry for all the questions, I am just really worried and it will help me feel a bit better if I knew some info.
Meems

Last edited by meems; 07-11-2007 at 08:32 PM..
Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 PM

No need to apologize for all the questions. We won't know unless we ask.
Yes, there are separate units in the complex. Other than protective custody, and the general population, I'm not sure how they are separated. At visitation, I hear the guards call out the unit numbers and they are numbered 1 through 8. Protective custody (unit 1) gets 2 vists a week...2 people at a time...for 20 mins each. Those visits are through glass and on a phone. The general population gets 2 visits per week...2 people at a time...for 30 mins each. They are in a visiting room. You can call the institution and there is recordings for visits and mail. You must have a photo ID to visit and you can't take anything in with you....purse, backpack, cell phone.....no hats, coats and you must have your shoulders covered. (My daughter was denied a visit because she had a shirt on with tiny straps) You can put money on his account...up to $100 at a time. I'm not sure about the whole complex, but my son is in protective custody and he fills out his order for the canteen on monday and gets it on saturday. I'm not sure about what you can send him though if anything other than cards and letters. I am still trying to find some info on that. If there's anything else you want to know, just ask and I'll answer what I can.

Carol
Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 PM

Carol,
I was also wondering how Maplehurst is as far as fights and how the guards are? Thank You So Much for all your answers to my questions. It is really appreciated.

Meems
Old 07-12-2007, 10:40 PM

Meems,
My son hasn't mentioned any fights and when i asked him how the guards were, he said they're ok. You're very welcome for the info.

Carol
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM
He's home!!

My boyfriend got transferred to Maplehurst last night. I called this afternoon to get visiting info and had to speak to the switchboard to find out what unit he was in. The lady I spoke to said he was in Unit 1. From reading this, Unit 1 is protective custody? Do they all get put in pc when they first transfer in? My imagination is starting to run overtime with why he would be in that unit.

Last edited by dancinggal; 11-29-2007 at 06:16 PM..
Old 11-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Hi dancing,
Got your PM and I think its stupid that they would move him when he could be released as early as next week.
No, they don't all go to PC when they first arrive there. Maybe your boyfriend was put there because he has so little time left?
Sorry you had to make a long distance call. Had I known I would have called for you.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:41 AM

Red face

hello, the father of my children is in maplehurst, he just went there on monday I am just wondering about visitation hours? does anyone know what time the visitation occurs at? if you could let me know, that would be great!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 PM

I'd like to know about visitation times at Maplehurst also. Can I simply drive there and ask to see him?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 PM

visitation is from 1:30 - 3:00 and 5:00 - 7:00 (or 5:30 -7:30 im not sure exactly) monday-sunday

you go there and take a number, then you sit and wait until they call your number.
then you go to the window and tell them who you wanna see. you gotta bring 2 pieces of i.d (one w. a photo) and then they tell you where you gotta go from there

i sugest you call first- google their phone number and they have an automated system that tells you their exact visiting hours.
also, if you can, go during the daytime in the week cuz theres less people and make sure you get there exactly when visiting hours start so you dont gotta wait long.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Here's the number for Maplehurst
905-878-8141

There is a recording with all the units visiting times.
PC (unit 1) are morning visits from 9:30-11:00 and then again in the evening from 5:30-7:00.
You must know what unit he's in first so you know the times. If you wait for the recordings to finish you can speak to someone and ask.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:37 AM

Default I need to know how to find out if my boy friend is in maplehurst!

My boyfriend hasn't called me since Thursday when he went to court and now it is Monday and I haven't heard from him. so I want know how can I find out that he is @ maplehurst?..Becasue I want to go visit him since he isn't callin me but I don't want to go there and have them tell me he isn't there he's @ another jail.
His crime took place in peel.. however he lives in York region...so I don't know if he's @ maplehurst or lindsy.

Please if anyone could help me please please please msg me back thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisQueen--- View Post
visitation is from 1:30 - 3:00 and 5:00 - 7:00 (or 5:30 -7:30 im not sure exactly) monday-sunday

you go there and take a number, then you sit and wait until they call your number.
then you go to the window and tell them who you wanna see. you gotta bring 2 pieces of i.d (one w. a photo) and then they tell you where you gotta go from there

i sugest you call first- google their phone number and they have an automated system that tells you their exact visiting hours.
also, if you can, go during the daytime in the week cuz theres less people and make sure you get there exactly when visiting hours start so you dont gotta wait long.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM

Does anyone know if visitation at Maplehurst is done behind the glass window or is it an open touched visit???

Last edited by hunnni; 11-13-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnni View Post
Does anyone know if visitation at Maplehurst is done behind the glass window or is it an open touched visit???
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...86#post4168186

Sorry, it's been posted already. Look into it, if you have any other questions, then ask the girls on here . They will be most happy to help you...

Last edited by ChristinaL; 11-14-2008 at 05:49 PM..
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM

Does anyone know what the inmates' hours are? Like what time do the cells open and when do they have to go back in for lights out?

Also, how do the phones work there? Do they have pay phones that they can call collect from or what? How often can they use them?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinggal View Post
My boyfriend got transferred to Maplehurst last night. I called this afternoon to get visiting info and had to speak to the switchboard to find out what unit he was in. The lady I spoke to said he was in Unit 1. From reading this, Unit 1 is protective custody? Do they all get put in pc when they first transfer in? My imagination is starting to run overtime with why he would be in that unit.

Hi as a former inmate I can tell you that Unit 1 is not only PC but where every inmate goes when they get there. After about a week they transfer you to another unit
Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Default another Maplehurst question

Hi, I am wondering what the unit numbers mean at Maplehurst. My guy is being held for immigration and is in 10A - what does 10A mean? When I went tonight to visit, I was told there were only three visitation rooms for the section he is in and that they were all full.

Does any one know the meaning and relevance of the unit numbers?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 PM

Default .

does anyone know what unit 9b means?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Smile so sad

my son is also new to maplehurst he is only 19 and i wanna no anything i can about this place-how often can they call home how often can we visit ,can we leave money for them,wat time can they call at.
thank you

Last edited by wawa40; 08-18-2009 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: found same question
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 PM

Default Phone Calls from Maplehurst

My son was taken to Maplehurst this morning. His lawyer said to expect a collect call from him this afternoon, but so far nothing. From reading the threads, it's my understanding that phone calls can only be collect, but I don't know how often they are allowed or for how long.

This means he won't be able to talk to the girl he lives with, as she only has a cell phone and I don't think you can call a cell phone collect.

How often can they make calls and for how long? Does anyone know?

We weren't expecting this sentence, and I feel so lost and alone right now.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:39 PM

First off, Maplehurst is a fairly violent place. Within the first day I was shown how to make a club out of newspaper by my celly. there are many fights depending on the range you are placed on as some are much worse than others. The guards usually treat you with the same amount of respect you show them, but some treat you like an animal. No, nobody goes to PC when you first arrive unless you ask for it, as far as I know everybody goes to GP. 9b, 10e etc. are the range codes or "cell blocks" so for example Joe Blow could be on Range 11e, cell 9. there is generally not much difference about who goes where, except that the 11 ranges tend to be more-so "jungle-ranges" or violent crime units. you are woken up at 7am in the morning, locked out for lunch between 12- 12:30, then locked back down at dinner for 7- 7:30, then locked down for the night at 9pm, "lights out" is at 11, although they dont actually ever turn the lights off in your cell. These are all to the best of my memory. Maplehurst is a shithole, though there are worse places you could be. If you are not receiving phone calls from your loved one, it is probably because there are only 3 phones for the entire range, and it can tricky and intimidating to use (its easy to get into fights over the phone), especially for new inmates. Each range has their own set of rules, written by the inmates, and posted on the wall as soon as you enter the range. when you walk in you will be instructed by the older inmates to read them immediatley and include things such as no crossing the red lines, no touching the tv, no shoes in the shower area, no flushing the toilet during lockdown, bathe as soon as you step foot on the range after coming from court, etc. I hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Default Move to Penetang

Thanks for the info - but just heard yesterday that he's been transferred to Penetang, where he'll likely finish his sentence. The 2/3rds date is mid-October, but he's got another possession and breach charge coming up soon, so who knows.

I appreciate the time you took to answer me, and I'm sure others will find the information useful, if depressing. Glad to hear you survived Maplehurst (I think it should be renamed MapleHurts) and lived to tell the tale. Thanks so much.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Default Getting stuff back

Hi i only went to maple hurst for one night and the took a few of my things, and i was told that i would have to go back and get my belongings. how exactly would i be able to go about and do that?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:48 PM

you can pick up your belongings mon- fri from 1:30 - 3:30 / and i think in the evening from 3:30 - 5:30
bring your ID - if you don't have that, bring your court papers
line up at the window on the left - you don't have to take a number

ring them first to make sure it's ready (905) 878-8141

hope that helps
-g