Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:16 PM

Default What does Level 3 mean?

My bro just wrote after being in reception for two weeks. He's miserable. Says the food stinks, it's so hot there he can't stand it, lockdown 23 hours a day, etc.

He says he will likely be classified as Level 3... what does this mean? What are the definitions of the various levels?

He's not violent, dangerous and doesn't have any type of previous record. For God's sake, how much punishment is enough? Would this affect his priviliges like visits, mail and packages? Would his counselor have any say in this? And would it change over time?

Any help or info would be appreciated. We're beyond sick over this... he's been sentenced to 10 years!!! Over a consentual "thing" with a teenager. Which means he's worse than the most heinous murderer to so many in the justice system... wait till he gets out and faces the unforgiving and judgmental public. Like I said, we're just sick over it all.

Sorry for the ramble. Thanks for listening...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM

Everything is based upon a point system, it goes by the time they have to serve, any write ups and stuff like that. Level 1 & 2 are minumum security and Level 3 Medium security and level 4 is maximum security.
Each level has their own priviledges, programs and security etc...

It's all about the points, I m sure someone eles can provide a better explanation of the point system.

Last edited by AllMyAll; 07-10-2007 at 06:06 PM..
Old 07-10-2007, 06:29 PM

Thanks. Do you know whether you can drop down from Level 3 to a Level 2 or a 1 in time with good behavior, etc.? I'd like to think there's hope for him to have an easier time. It's hard enough to just be in there like that. No dorms or walk around? Just confinement? I can't imagine.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezySis
Thanks. Do you know whether you can drop down from Level 3 to a Level 2 or a 1 in time with good behavior, etc.? I'd like to think there's hope for him to have an easier time. It's hard enough to just be in there like that. No dorms or walk around? Just confinement? I can't imagine.
Yes they can. Good behavior for a period of time begins to take points off their total. When they drop below their current security level point-wise, they are reclassified and sometimes even moved to be put with others who are at the same level as they are.

KimbraLee

Old 07-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Busy Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,085 Posts

Does anyone know the points range for different levels? For instance how many points is it for Level 3?

CA Moderator
3 Strikes Discussion, In Bull Session,
LAC, SOL, CTF, MCSP, PVSP
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 PM

Thank you, Kimbra... we're holding on to any hope we can get!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Here you go:

The levels by points are:

Level 1 = 0 - 18
Level 2 = 19 - 27
Level 3 = 28 - 51
Level 4 = 52+

KimbraLee

Old 07-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Busy Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,987 Times in 1,085 Posts

Thank you wise woman. There is a big range for a level 3.

CA Moderator
3 Strikes Discussion, In Bull Session,
LAC, SOL, CTF, MCSP, PVSP
Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

An inmate can drop a maximum of 8 points per year; 4 if he is working and 4 if he has no write ups. The first year or 2 is often difficult to drop more than 4 points each year because jobs are so scarce it tough to get one.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:38 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

BreezySis - also, your brother is not going to be in Ad Seg. Ad Seg (also called ASU or "the Hole") is a designation for disciplinary housing. Your brother will be on an SNY yard. Special Needs Yard. Used to be called PC yard or protective custody. Because he is an SO, they need to house him on a SNY yard and away from the GP (general population) mainline for his own protection.

Inmates housed on SNY are those who need to be protected. Gang dropouts, SO's, snitches, those with drug debts they couldn't pay so they had to "roll up" for their own safety.

He receives all the usual privileges of a mainline inmate; packages, Canteen, contact visits, phone calls, etc. It's just a special yard for inmates who can't be placed in the general population.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:48 PM

Oh, aliferzwife, thank you!! I haven't checked my mail in a week or so and didn't know you had responded. I'm so glad to hear he can get mail priviliges and packages. Hopefull he won't be at NKSP very long because last I heard, he was miserable. But if it's only a "special needs group" why the 23-hour a day lockdown? That seems so cruel.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,834 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezySis
Oh, aliferzwife, thank you!! I haven't checked my mail in a week or so and didn't know you had responded. I'm so glad to hear he can get mail priviliges and packages. Hopefull he won't be at NKSP very long because last I heard, he was miserable. But if it's only a "special needs group" why the 23-hour a day lockdown? That seems so cruel.
NKSP reception sucks. I suggest that you write to your Bro on a daily basis sense the mail is slow and coming for him in reception. As for now sense he is in reception he has zero privileges till he is mainlined meaning,no calls out or packages for him till then he can only write to you for now. Go to the NKSP forum and you will find more info there.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=648

Last edited by Imani; 07-18-2007 at 01:35 PM..
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Donation Award 

Also, BreezySis, I found out that post cards get to them much more quickly than letters. I figure it's because no one has to open aything, and there isn't much that can be smuggled in with a post card..LOL.