Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TX State Jails, Private Prisons, Treatment & Parole Facilities Forums > Hutchins State Jail - Texas
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Donation Award 

Default Anyone w/ a loved one at Hutchins - Texas State Jail

Anyone with a loved one at Hutchins. I know that they are about to go into lockdown. What your experience like so far ?
Brandons Mom
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 06:21 AM

KittKatt
Hello I my B/F was there for about a year. they went on lockdown about 3 times. But i guess things went ok for him in there during that time. they had to stay on the bunks but it only lasted two or three days it all depends why they went on lock down. You can im me if you have anymore questions
lisa
Old 07-07-2007, 07:53 PM

Exclamation Anybody have more info on Hutchins?

I just got on TDCJ and found that my brother was transferred to Hutchins sometime in the last day or two. He is TDCJ and was at Gurney. The letter he wrote me on Tuesday pretty much said he had not finished processing. If he was transferred to Hutchins does that mean that the intake processing was finished? What is Hutchins like? Better than hoe squad at Gurney? Is the commissary better? When was lockdown supposed to occur? Anybody got any more info for us newbie Hutchins families?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:24 PM

Hutchins is alright! gurney is alot cleaner and they feed them better at gurney. i like hutchins because it is close to where i live. The commissary is the same. And they are suppose to go on lockdown in about a week or so if not sooner. This is my husbands second time being at hutchins!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Donation Award 

My son seems to like Hutchins more than Gurney. The dorms have more freedom than the cell blocks at Gurney. Y our brothner should have completed all of his intake process if he was moved to Hutchins. They don't move them till it is complete. You can call and see if he is able to start visitation. My son has been their about 2 months and I visit every week. The guards I have encountered have been ok. They never consistently follow the rules. The food is not that great but I don't think it is anywhere in TDC. Hutchins has the same problems any unit has never enough staff , drugs , fighting etc. etc.. You can PM me if you have any questions. Hope you can visit him soon.
Brandons Mom
Old 07-10-2007, 11:55 PM

If Hutchins goes on lock down, can we still visit. Some places it still happens in some it doesn't. Does anyone know?
I really hope it isn't going to be like at Gurney. My fella said it should be OK and not to worry. I got his letter today saying that they weren't on lock down as of Sunday, but Monday was probably when it would have hit....if it hit. He also said it may be in August....they just didn't know.
If I hear anything, I'll let you guys know.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Donation Award 

They may not go on lockdown until August. Who knows. It is suppose to be a suprise so the rumors float constantly. I spoke w/ the warden last week they still get mail and visitation priveledges.
Brandons Mom
Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 PM
awaitn Sept 2nd!!!

Default hubby in Hutchins too

Hi, my husbands at hutchins also. Does anyone know if they are particular about waiting the 90 days for contact visits or do they let it slide sometimes? I havent touched my hubby since January and it sucks. The phones there really suck too....he can hardly hear me on them!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Donation Award 

UNFORNUNATELY, They make you wait the 90 days and are quick to revoke that priveledge if the inmate gets in any trouble.
Brandons Mom
Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM
awaitn Sept 2nd!!!

so far...my experiences at hutchins have been ok...and the gaurds are really annoying! everytime i go they try saying im only allowed 2 diapers and i know im allowed 3 and they always end up telling me i was right! then they tried saying i was only allowed 1 sippy cup when i took my 17 mo old but 2 bottles for my 3 mo old! once again....they came back and said i was right again!! thats pretty sad that i know the rules better than the gaurds who work there!!

Old 08-01-2007, 03:20 PM
God is Truly Great!

I was there for 4 of my 10 months. Generally it was ok. I am one of the rare people who preferred Dawson's food to TDCJ food though. Also, the water tastes just like bleach.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:58 PM
God is Awesome!

My babys father just got to Hutchins this past Thursday so I havent really got to experience them - just yet anyway. I havent read the best things about them so it is kind of making me nervous - it does feel better to know I am not the only one going through this by far.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Going to Wayback, Tx!

I was told by Brazos County, where the sentencing took place, that I would have to write a letter to TDC to request a place closer for my love to be to his family, does anyone know more than the courts are willing to tell me? Is this the way to go on getting my Terry closer to us? This is all new to me, I don't have a lot of experience with the court/jail system.
Thanks,
Jenni
Old 06-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Any information you can share is Greatly Appreciated! ~ (Hutchins State Jail)

Hello Everyone. My husband was recently (wed) transferred from Collin County to Hutchins. I called and spoke with someone there and was told he would not be able to get commisary or mail until he was done processing. I had already made a deposit to his account using jpay and put a letter in the mail. Will they hold the mail for him, or will they return it to me? If I place an order with Office Depot, will he be allowed the writing supplies? I was told processing would take 20-30 days, and at that time he would be eligible for visitation. I am unsure if I will be allowed contact visits, as we are common law married, and we have never filed anything with the county clerk. We had previously discussed marriage by proxy, but he only has four months left on his sentence, and we would like to wait. What proof do we need for a common law marriage? Will my father-in-law and son be denied contact visits if I am with them? Is there anything about Hutchins you could share?

Thank you so much for your help, and sorry for the lengthy post.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 06-21-2008 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: title touch-up
Old 06-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,968 Posts

Welcome to PTO! Never mind what the person said about him not getting mail. He will get letters that you send to him now as long as it has his name and TDC number on it. Well, it must have the correct address, too, of course. I sent Robin writing supplies that are allowed (paper & envelopes, mainly) plus a few books and other items when she had only been at Plane State Jail a week and she got them just fine. You just need to be careful about what you send making sure that it is allowed. For instance, tablets of writing paper are fine as long as they are glued and not stapled. Office depot will have no clue about that. I used www.rosiesgraphics.com . She knows what is allowed and what is not. If he puts you down as common law wife then you will likely be allowed contact visits but it is possible that they will want an affidavit signed and notarized declaring that as fact. You'll just have to wait and see what happens. There can be only one kind of visit so if you are denied contact visits and go to see him with someone that is allowed them then the visit will be non-contact. I do not know anything specific about Hutchins State Jail itself. Hopefully someone will be along that does.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 06-21-2008 at 07:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinsMan For This Useful Post:
Ms.J-Rod (06-21-2008)
Old 06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
One day at a time

if your name is not the same as his on your id you will not get contact and sometimes they might ask you for proof that your married. and he should get the mail already and be able to write you my husband is there and the day he got there i got a letter from him!
The Following User Says Thank You to waitingfordj For This Useful Post:
Ms.J-Rod (06-25-2008)
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
One day at a time

when are they suppose to go on lockdown? my husband mentioned it but i wasnt sure when it would be. so far seeing him there is better only cause it is closer to home and depending on the guard it can be a nice visit!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Donation Award 

They normally go on lockdown in July. Last year it was late into the month and into the first week of August.

Brandons Mom
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Donation Award 

Ms.-JRod

You will need to call and speak to Warden Rupert @ Hutchins. I have seen them let common law wives in w/ the children for contact visits. Is he on the state jail side or TDC ? If he only has 4 months left that is great. Normally they are not allowed contact visits for 90 days so at first you will be only allowed regular visits. My son has been there for over a year. He came out of Collin County but was processed @ Gurney before being transfered to Hutchins. He is TDC.
He should be able to get mail but he will need stamps to mail a letter out. Processing normally takes 2 to 3 weeks. You can call and check with classification on his status weekly. It will be awhile before he makes it to the store but the inmates are good about sharing stamps with the new guys. So hopefully you will get a letter soon. If you put funds on jpay he will have money when he makes it to the store. PM me with whatever questions you have about Hutchins.

Brandons Mom
confusedwife08 (07-01-2008), Ms.J-Rod (06-25-2008)
Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 PM

Default Hmmmmm....

Does anyone know if they will take a notarized aff. that we are common law married. We have debt/credit in both of our names, and have shared a residence for 2 years. If need be we could get married by proxy, but we both would prefer to wait. I would really like to get contact visits though, as he will lose his visa and be deported at the end of his sentence. He is serving 6 months for a SJF.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms.J-Rod For This Useful Post:
confusedwife08 (07-01-2008)
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Donation Award 

I would call the unit and ask about the Aff. They are all so different about the rules.

Brandons Mom
Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 PM

I have a loved one in Hutchins. I never had to show proof of marraige. He is State Jail side. He told me that I might have to so for our first visit I brought my Marraige Liscense with me and brought it up. They informed me at that time that I did not need it (actually made me go put it back in the car) and told me that if there was any question that they would have sent me something in the mail to the fact. He was able to have visits right away once he was out of classification. They told him it was a 30 day wait. I just called and verified before I went up to visit that everything was okay.

All my letters recently have mentioned the upcomng lockdown. He doesn't know when it is just knows it is coming really soon. I have a question regarding this. When they are on routine lockdown how long does it last? Is it true they are unable to make store at this time? I, not me personally, have been through lockdowns that last a couple of days to a week but never the routine planned ones!

Last edited by confusedwife08; 06-30-2008 at 06:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to confusedwife08 For This Useful Post:
Ms.J-Rod (07-01-2008)
Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 PM

P.S. I know there are others that will have tons of information but wanted to say that if you have any questions regarding this unit I can help. Unfortunately I have become pretty familiar with the ends and outs.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Donation Award 

Hi Confusedwife08
I have been meaning to check in with you. Life has been crazy lately. Their last major lockdown was this time last year and it was almost 2 weeks. No store during this time, no rec or lunch hall. They are stuck w/brown bag lunches most of the time. (peanut butter) Tell hubby to stock up next commisary trip if he can. I personally think they have such a long lockdown during this time because so many personel or taking vacations.

Brandons Mom
confusedwife08 (07-01-2008)
Old 06-30-2008, 07:20 PM

Ahhh Thanks for thinking of me. Life has been absolutely nuts on my end as well. I hope things are going well for you!

Do you think if I called they would let me know when the lockdown is?? Do they normally give this information out?