Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Missouri DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Missouri Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Donation Award 

Default Missouri Parole Hearings

It seems we have several parole hearings coming up around here! I found this information that I thought may be useful to those of you that are questioning what happens and what to do, etc.

WHEN IS THE FIRST PAROLE HEARING SCHEDULED?
Upon arrival in the Department, each offender is given a booklet entitled “Rules and Regulations Governing the Granting of Parole, Conditional Releases, and Related Procedures.” This booklet explains criteria used during parole consideration. Within 90 days, each offender will receive written notice advising them of the month and year of the first scheduled hearing. You may obtain a copy of this booklet by contacting the institutional probation and parole officer at the offender’s assigned facility.

WHO CAN ATTEND A PAROLE HEARING?

If an offender chooses, one person may attend the parole hearing. This person may not be another offender. Victims and members of the criminal justice community may also attend hearings.

WHAT HAPPENS AT A PAROLE HEARING?
Offenders appear in person before the Board, which consists of one member of the Parole Board and two hearing officers appointed by the Board. During the parole hearing, offenders are afforded the opportunity to:
• Present their version of the current offense and criminal history;
• Discuss problems and needs;
• Discuss evaluation of progress during incarceration;
• Explain reasons why they believe they should be paroled;
• Present plans for the future;
• Provide supporting documentation or information which would support the request for release; and
• Share any other information pertinent to their situation and release.

WHEN WILL THE OFFENDER RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM THE BOARD?
The Board must carefully review much information before rendering a decision. A notice is usually mailed to the offender 4 to 12 weeks after the hearing. This notice provides a summary of the Board’s decision or release plan.

WHAT IF AN OFFENDER DOES NOT AGREE WITH A DECISION MADE BY THE BOARD OF PROBATION AND PAROLE?
Offenders can appeal some decisions of the Board within thirty days. The appeal form can be obtained from the institutional probation and parole officer. The Board holds final authority for parole release. It is advisable the offender consult with the institutional probation and parole officer as most questions or concerns can be resolved at that level.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christy For This Useful Post:
CherylW (01-03-2011), Hardt (10-07-2008), hywesley1 (01-12-2011), StormChild (11-12-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2007, 02:58 AM
I can do all things...

Well, our first parole hearing is 12/21. But his caseworker told him it may be sooner than that?

Always Forever Together

Old 01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
come home soon i love u

hey my fiance sees parole friday i am really nervous !!!! he has been in there a year and a month ! he got sentenced to 7 years for assult and leaving the scene of a accident! he has been really good he has only got in trouble 2 times since he has been there and he works his butt of in the laundry room and he goes to college there and we are getting married in march wht do you think will happen and this is his first time in and he is 19 years old ! do you think they will let him come home soon i hope so cause i really miss him can some one help i really need some answers ! wht do i say do i need to bring anything ?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Donation Award 

I think that there is no possible way to predict what the board will do. What does his IPO say about it? This will be a much better guide to go by than what and how we feel about someone getting paroled. And 2 times in the hole in a year is not that little. It will depend on the reasons for it, his I-score and how many programs he has done.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 AM
come home soon i love u

one was for fighting and one was for protective custody but when his paole officer saw him for pre parole he for got the paper work so he told him pretty much nothing !
Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 AM
come home soon i love u

also he was a 3 i think and he was about to become a 2
Old 01-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Donation Award 

He had an I score of 3? Or a custody (C) score of 3? The I score is for instutional adjustment and the lower the score, the less trouble or problems there have been.

No matter what I say, it will still depend on the board, his attitude going into speak to them, and what he has accomplished/not accomplished while in prison. It boils down to him and him only.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 AM

Blessings ALL! I sent my first POst last week. This is ALL so new and sometimes hard to understand. At his yearly RCA in the fall of 2006 they told he understood that he was considered for early release in May of 2008. BUT Now that we have that paper, it states that he goes before the Parole Board in May of 2008. Questions: 1. When he had his RCA in Feb of 2008 they said he has 21 more months. But no mention about his Parole hearing. If he has it in writing that he is to go in front of the Parole Board in May 2008 will they honor that date?? 2. How will he know when he is to see the Parole Board? 3. Will someone meet with him before the Parole Board is to see him? 4. How much notice do they give him of the Parole hearing? 5. What can we do to aid him? Other notes: he has NEVER had any rule breaking while there, has attended 6 or 7 course while there, has worked for 5 years there in laundry and MVE and never missed a day of work, and was made leadsman at both his jobs, has about 20 or more family support letter ready to send to the Parole Board , and 3 or 4 job offer for when he gets home, ALL of his family is in NC and visiting has been very difficult, DOES HE HAVE A CHANCE OF PAROLE OR MOVED TO NC???????? Thank You Leanie
Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 PM

I've put my answers to your questions in RED..hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncleanie7
Blessings ALL! I sent my first POst last week. This is ALL so new and sometimes hard to understand. At his yearly RCA in the fall of 2006 they told he understood that he was considered for early release in May of 2008. BUT Now that we have that paper, it states that he goes before the Parole Board in May of 2008. Questions: 1. When he had his RCA in Feb of 2008 they said he has 21 more months. But no mention about his Parole hearing. If he has it in writing that he is to go in front of the Parole Board in May 2008 will they honor that date??YES 2. How will he know when he is to see the Parole Board?They will notify him in writing 3. Will someone meet with him before the Parole Board is to see him? Most likely 4. How much notice do they give him of the Parole hearing? 30 days I believe 5. What can we do to aid him? Send in the support letters and job offers Other notes: he has NEVER had any rule breaking while there, has attended 6 or 7 course while there, has worked for 5 years there in laundry and MVE and never missed a day of work, and was made leadsman at both his jobs, has about 20 or more family support letter ready to send to the Parole Board , and 3 or 4 job offer for when he gets home, ALL of his family is in NC and visiting has been very difficult, DOES HE HAVE A CHANCE OF PAROLE OR MOVED TO NC???????? Its hard to guess what the Parole Board will do, sounds like he's done his best to be a model inmate, hope all goes well!Thank You Leanie
Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Crazy never felt so good

Ok my bf will be going in front of the board soon....I am totally clueless besides whats in this thread.

What do I do??!??!? Someone please help, any help is appreciated!

Also, I thought they went in front of the board when they had 18 months left? Is that right or no? Because by the time he goes in front of the board, he still has more than 18 months. Whats going on? Anyone know?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:39 AM

First, an apology b/c I dont remember what your bf is in for (I never focus on that and now I cant remember). So this answer is just "in general".

When sentenced to less than 7 years the inmate waits a number of months corresponding to the number of years on the sentence (3 years= 3months, 4 years=4months) before the parole hearing. You wont know how may months are left UNTIl after the hearing. (of course this doesnt apply to sentences longer than 7 years or those with mandatory minimums or serving 85%)

There really isnt much to do other than gather and send letters of support.

At the hearing, you will be given a chance to ask questions or make a statement.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Crazy never felt so good

Thanks Ram. His sentence was more than 7, it was 10 at 85%...So when he goes in front of the board, it will be two years before his 85% date...Who should we (him or I) try to get support letters from? Just friends and family?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 AM

Jordans mommy, I do believe 2 years before their 85% is when they go and see the board that sounds about right. Now letter of support should be from friends and family. Christy has a link of what a letter of support should be like. I will locate it and include it in a post for you here.

here you go http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...letter+support
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsPhillips For This Useful Post:
D-woman (01-20-2014)
Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 PM

Default New to online, Old to the loved one in prision

Any help on current percents of sentences being served? ( as in how many months to years sentenced)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyntonrule
Any help on current percents of sentences being served? ( as in how many months to years sentenced)

depends on the charge and whether or not it falls under any mand. mins.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Crazy never felt so good

Hey another stupid question....I just am totally clueless about parole! It's the one thing we didn't have to deal with until now!

Anyways, if his parents write a letter, is it better to have them each write a separate letter or just one for the two of them? Stupid question I know, but I figure the more letters the better...But they're both his parents and they're still married...I don't know?

Also, if he has a letter saying he has a job waiting for him when he gets out, what happens if that job ends up falling thru? Does a po actually come to the job? Call the person? what do they do?

He's going to put my addy down as where he'll parole to, but in 2 years I'm sure I'll be somewhere else...Is that going to be a problem?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:15 PM

they will do a home plan when he is closer to release. once he reports to a parole officer that will want him to bring in proof of income. they will give him like 30 days to find a job.

and he's not leaving!!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:11 PM

My boyfriend has been in Moberly Correctional Center since Dec. on parole violations and just recently got convicted on another charge. He still has yet to hear anything on when his parole hearing is going to be! Is this normal??
Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Donation Award 

He should have been told a month and year when he was in Diagnostics. Tell him to look on his FACE sheet to see if it's there, or look through his papers for a letter from the board. They get an approximate date when they are received into R&D
Old 09-14-2008, 06:38 PM

11 years is what my cousin has done

Last edited by lesleyannsmith; 09-14-2008 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: not this user
Old 01-02-2009, 06:51 PM

My brother's parole hearing is coming in a couple weeks, so I'm re-reading all this info-- SO helpful. But, I just noticed something- Christy, in your original post you mentioned that the offender is only able to invite one person (family, etc) to the hearing- is that still the case? Does it depend at all on which prison they are at?

He has his pre-parole hearing this week- so hopefully many of our questions as to the details of the hearing will be answered soon, but I figured I'd get as much info as I could now.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Donation Award 

To my knowledge it has always been the rule to only allow one other person at the hearing besides the inmate. I don't forsee a change in that anytime soon.
Do it with a heart wide open

Say what you need to say

~John Mayer, Say~
Old 04-05-2009, 04:52 PM

Default Extradited from CA for Parole Violation

Hi Christy ~

My b/f is at Fulton. He was extradited from California a couple of weeks ago. He did 6 years (before I met him) in MO and left the halfway house when his homeplan was denied (escapee). Since arriving back to CA, he has lived a very law abiding life with me and has not caught any new cases. It has been 5 years and he is a different person. He had 8 days to graduate college before MO came to our home and picked him up.

My question to you is what do you think will happen? He is waiting to talk to the Parole Board... when he arrived, they told him it would be 10 days. I believe he waived his right to a hearing in order to speed up the process. And his Parole (from his sentence from 11 years ago) ends in Aug. 2010.

Any idea what type of punishment MO would give for a halfway house escapee that has not caught any new cases and has created a new and healthy life in another state?

Thanks for all your help!
Hizzle
Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Donation Award 

Most likely they will make him complete the sentence in prison. They don't care about his law abiding ways since walking away from the halfway house, just that he didn't complete his sentence and that he was a fugitive.
Do it with a heart wide open

Say what you need to say

~John Mayer, Say~
Old 04-06-2009, 06:21 PM

My husband goes in front of the parole board in September and I'm a little worried cause he got into it with a gaurd last year and got put in the hole for a year.