Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Prisoner Addiction Resources
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prisoner Addiction Resources Prison and prison release specific topics and resources regarding addiction.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Lubbock County Residential Treatment Center

Does anyone have information or know of anyone who has been to the court residential rehabilitation center in Lubbock? My boyfriend has been there for 2 months. I have searched everywhere looking for someone who has any first hand knowledge of the facility. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Default I know a little about the CRTC in Lubbock

My 20 year old son was sentenced to 9-12 months in the Lubbock CRTC, beginning on June 18th, 2007. He was busted for possession of a small amount of pot in his car when he was stopped for speeding on the way to college in January 2006; then, he got a second traffic ticket (for a burned out tail light) in June, 2006, and again, the policeman found scant evidence of pot in his car. Then, in Oct., 2006., he was put on probation and was warned that he would be drug tested periodically. Stupidly, he kept smoking pot with his friends; got busted again in mid-February, 2007, and showed up "dirty" on his UA's twice.

His probation officer said it was either 9-12 months in the CRTC or 6 months in jail. He chose the CRTC.

What do you need to know about the CRTC? Have you looked at their website?

What is your boyfriend in there for?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 PM

My 19 yr. old is waiting in jail for a bed to open there. Please tell me anything you know, is it safe, does it seem to be working for your son? Can they make phone calls, visitation, etc. Anything at all!!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:51 PM

My son just out of this morning. It was a long haul for him, but I credit this facility with saving his life. You phase up pretty much every month... with each phase comes new privledges... phone calls, visits and then finally furloughs that allow you to leave the facility, first for 4 hours, then 6,8 and so on. Feel free to write and ask any specific questions you have and I would be happy to answer them. I remember trying so hard to get some information when he went in and there wasn't much out there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whisty11 For This Useful Post:
mcnurse007 (10-09-2010), wandamaloy (04-07-2013)
Old 12-19-2008, 07:05 PM

Default lubbock county rehab

my boyfriend is about to be transferred there and i cant really get much info about the place. is it like jail? or more like a rehab? and how long till i can visit him? hes sentenced to be there for a year. but someone said he could get out sooner? if anyone had any info and could help me. id appreciate it. thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 03:24 AM

It is very surprising that you don't know what is the place where your boyfriend has been detained. But you know the specific name of the adolescent residential treatment center. Got to think is it like an Alcatraz that its very hard to find?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:51 AM

Is there anymore updated information about this facility, and about how long they must be there before calls, visits, etc?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:56 PM

Smile Lubbock CRTC

It is so sad that we have to search so hard to find out where our loved ones are going and what to expect. My 43-year-old son sat in Ft. Bend Co. jail waiting to be transferred to this "fine" facility, where he was supposed to go after 2 or 3 days. Finally, earlier this week, he was awakened at 3 a.m. and loaded into the floor of a van for the 600 mile journey to Lubbock. After approx. 12 hours, they were allowed to stop and go to the bathroom on the construction site of an impending residential community. (You've gotta imagine why the people who purchase the houses keep smelling strange odors that don't seem to go away.

He wasn't allowed to call his family to let them know he was being transferred until 2 days after he was moved. He has a 6 month old baby and a wife who is being tested for pancreatic cancer, so he is pretty much out of his mind with worry. Anyway, I called and talked to someone named "Gwen" who said he would go to orientation yesterday and would find out all the details and be given a counselor and a new P.O. However, since there would be no phone contact for about 4 months, we can only get that info if he writes and gives it to us. We can send a Wal-Mart gift card where they will take them to buy their necessities.

They work in phases, and they can't make or receive any phone calls until they have finished the 3rd phase. Each phase takes 3-4 weeks. They can't even receive phone calls from ministers. They have a religious service there once a week and they can attend, or not, but they can't leave to attend church. You can't get much info of any kind. I'm hoping to find someone who has been through the program who can tell us more about it.

This isn't my son's first rodeo, he is bipolar and suffers from deep depression, is ocd, and has several other illnesses beside the addiction, so yes, I am concerned. I also think it's horrible to move a father 600 miles from his baby and sick wife and allow no phone contact, but it is what it is. He doesn't have to be there at all. But this IS the first rodeo where I've felt we needed to call in a PI just to get the info we should have been given to begin with.

Oh, yeah! I DID come across a person who works there on Facebook who was quite offended that I wrote to him. When I tried to apologize, he had blocked me. So I used the same address to write and apologize and received a very terse message saying he didn't know how I got his name or address, but he had send my messages to all his supervisors and the facility director, and to please NOT CONTACT HIM AGAIN. Not to worry. I'm fairly sure we're left the land of humanity.

As I find out more, I will post it for anyone else in our shoes. Good luck, and don't worry too much. I've worked in paramilitary orgs in the past, and most of the people working there just needed a place to feed their bruised egos. I just do a lot of praying, and God has always come through for me.

Hope this helps and that you can rest a little. Your boyfriend should be fine except for missing you. He'll just appreciate you a whole lot more when he gets home.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 PM

does anyone have anymore info on this place?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 PM

My Son has been there for the past 4 months. Like everyone, I had problems finding information about this program. Even my Sons, Probation Officer did not have any knowledge. I did call and spoke to several Associates and came to the conclusion that this is Rehab. My Son arrived and I immediately received letters from him. He was positive about the facility and has chosen to look at the glass half full opposed to half empty. I very quickly made connection with his Counselor and spoke in length about the program and what was expected. It was nothing cruel or un-reasonable. I was allowed to communicate with his Counsleor via email and certainly I can call her if needed. His Counselor has been very supportive.
As far as activities....they play basketball and have a big projector TV. They have a weight gym and basketball tournaments. After a period they will be able to make calls. The worst thing about it is that you have to go thru a third party phone company called Global. Its criminal what they charge and the service is horrible. Not sure how they got such a lucrative contract. Must have been a deal made on the golf course. Nonetheless, they will be rewarded furlows where they can have visits and then can actual leave for periods of time. They let my Son fly home for XMas. They are very strict though with the furloughs and things must be done correctly and in a timely manner. Another words.....there are rules that must be followed.
Something my Son was not doing when he was on the outside. I condon what they are trying to do with him. I don't want to make this sound like it is some sort of vacation but it is certainly not jail. Stay positive so that your loved one stays positive and they will get thru it fine. Encourage them to work hard so they are able to phase out to the next level. Pray....pray....pray and put it all in Gods hands. Keep the faith that all will work out.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Wink More info about Lubbock

Dear JGentry,

Thank you so much for sending this info. It is extremely helpful. My daughter-in-law has been talking with several different people there over the past couple of weeks, so we've been able to glean a bit more knowledge about the program and what to expect. Stephen has been writing, and Dona had been writing him every day but he kept complaining that he wasn't getting any mail. It turns out that he was putting his address just using his first initial of his name and his last name, so she thought that's the way she was to address the mail, so it wasn't getting to him, and some was sent back home. They told me in the beginning to just address it with his name and the address, not even Lubbock CRTC, and he would get it fine.

One thing we didn't know was they would be taking money from his books for text books and other things, so his money is gone and he needs to see the doctor and couldn't until we send more. But, he talks like it's a good place, although, he DOES say it is "jail" no matter what anyone says.

I didn't know about being able to communicate by email, and I'm glad to know that. I'll start writing her more often. He is working hard and staying 1-2 weeks ahead of each phase of the program. He said to pray for him because he was going before (something, and I forgot what it is called), and if he passed, he would be 2 weeks ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentry View Post
My Son has been there for the past 4 months. Like everyone, I had problems finding information about this program. Even my Sons, Probation Officer did not have any knowledge. I did call and spoke to several Associates and came to the conclusion that this is Rehab. My Son arrived and I immediately received letters from him. He was positive about the facility and has chosen to look at the glass half full opposed to half empty. I very quickly made connection with his Counselor and spoke in length about the program and what was expected. It was nothing cruel or un-reasonable. I was allowed to communicate with his Counsleor via email and certainly I can call her if needed. His Counselor has been very supportive.
As far as activities....they play basketball and have a big projector TV. They have a weight gym and basketball tournaments. After a period they will be able to make calls. The worst thing about it is that you have to go thru a third party phone company called Global. Its criminal what they charge and the service is horrible. Not sure how they got such a lucrative contract. Must have been a deal made on the golf course. Nonetheless, they will be rewarded furlows where they can have visits and then can actual leave for periods of time. They let my Son fly home for XMas. They are very strict though with the furloughs and things must be done correctly and in a timely manner. Another words.....there are rules that must be followed.
Something my Son was not doing when he was on the outside. I condon what they are trying to do with him. I don't want to make this sound like it is some sort of vacation but it is certainly not jail. Stay positive so that your loved one stays positive and they will get thru it fine. Encourage them to work hard so they are able to phase out to the next level. Pray....pray....pray and put it all in Gods hands. Keep the faith that all will work out.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 PM

You are certainly welcome. I'm not sure about the Doctor visits and such. My Son had to go to the emergency room and there was no problem. I do have him on my insurance but never had to provide any of it to CRTC so I'm not sure exactly how all that is handled.
It is true about mailing him letters....adresss to his full name and the address and it will get to him.
How are ya'll working the phone calls?
He will have to go in front of "The Board" to phase up to the next level before any phone calls can be arranged and or he can receive visitations (furloughs)
I can assure you that this place is much better than jail. My Son had to sit out 60-days before a bed was available (so they say) so when he arrived I was able to send him his street clothes and whatever items he needed for hygeine, laundry....etc....
To my knowledge I did NOT pay for any books for him to work out of. There are 3 or so different programs so that may have something to do with whether the books are paid for or not.
Something very intersting is that....once they phase up to one of the highest levels, these programs will assist with getting him into college, they will assist in finding funding with getting them into Texas Tech. They will assist with finding a job and housing if they are willing to go to school.

Have your loved one pray while he is in there. He needs to stay active in whatever is offered and benefit however he can from this situation.

As much as I hated all this to happen to my Son, its a fact that it literally saved his life and possibly kept from something worst happening.

Stay positive.....keep him positive. Pray to God. Ask others to pray for him.
Keep the faith....don't give up. Be there for him....give support.
I will also pray for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi1944 View Post
Dear JGentry,

Thank you so much for sending this info. It is extremely helpful. My daughter-in-law has been talking with several different people there over the past couple of weeks, so we've been able to glean a bit more knowledge about the program and what to expect. Stephen has been writing, and Dona had been writing him every day but he kept complaining that he wasn't getting any mail. It turns out that he was putting his address just using his first initial of his name and his last name, so she thought that's the way she was to address the mail, so it wasn't getting to him, and some was sent back home. They told me in the beginning to just address it with his name and the address, not even Lubbock CRTC, and he would get it fine.

One thing we didn't know was they would be taking money from his books for text books and other things, so his money is gone and he needs to see the doctor and couldn't until we send more. But, he talks like it's a good place, although, he DOES say it is "jail" no matter what anyone says.

I didn't know about being able to communicate by email, and I'm glad to know that. I'll start writing her more often. He is working hard and staying 1-2 weeks ahead of each phase of the program. He said to pray for him because he was going before (something, and I forgot what it is called), and if he passed, he would be 2 weeks ahead.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Default More issues and questions; fewer answers

Well, since our last visit, things just seem to get progressively more confusing. Stephen was supposed to have phased up, but then he got knocked back for trying to find out about his fiancee's results for pancreatic cancer. Then, they had told him he could probably be furloughed for the test, but they changed that and said they weren't family, so he couldn't come home. He also lost a week of phone privileges trying to find out about her.

Now we find that he was sent to Texas Tech Univ. Med. Ctr for testing and that he has a rare and serious condition called CREST Syndrome that needs to be treated immediately, but they don't appear to be doing anything about it. We are frantic, and I can't get in touch with his counselor or his P.O., and his P.O. from Ft. Bend isn't helping him either.

I just don't know where to turn or what to do. Your prayers are certainly appreciated. That's all I have for now, but then, as the Bible says, "If God can be for you, who can be against you?"

I hope all is going well with you and your son. Take care! Edwina

Quote:
You are certainly welcome. I'm not sure about the Doctor visits and such. My Son had to go to the emergency room and there was no problem. I do have him on my insurance but never had to provide any of it to CRTC so I'm not sure exactly how all that is handled.
It is true about mailing him letters....adresss to his full name and the address and it will get to him.
He will have to go in front of "The Board" to phase up to the next level before any phone calls can be arranged and or he can receive visitations (furloughs)
I can assure you that this place is much better than jail. My Son had to sit out 60-days before a bed was available (so they say) so when he arrived I was able to send him his street clothes and whatever items he needed for hygeine, laundry....etc....
To my knowledge I did NOT pay for any books for him to work out of. There are 3 or so different programs so that may have something to do with whether the books are paid for or not.
Something very intersting is that....once they phase up to one of the highest levels, these programs will assist with getting him into college, they will assist in finding funding with getting them into Texas Tech. They will assist with finding a job and housing if they are willing to go to school.

Have your loved one pray while he is in there. He needs to stay active in whatever is offered and benefit however he can from this situation.

As much as I hated all this to happen to my Son, its a fact that it literally saved his life and possibly kept from something worst happening.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Edwina ~

I do not monitor this site so my apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I know they are very strict about letting them out once they are in there for any reason. The Counselor will not have very much control over the situation but still can be a source for you to communicate msg's to the PO. The PO is really the one that is in charge of making the decision about whether or not he is allowed to leave or not. They are very strict about recovery. I can't believe that you are not able to contact the Counselor for him. My sons Counselor has always been so available and willing to talk to me via phone calls or email.
I know its frustrating but you have to tell your Son to not fight the system. It is only hurting his chances to be able to phase up and get some basic freedoms. I feel your pain. I'm so sorry to hear about his disease.....can you tell me more about it? Is there a way to call the Doctor to find out more?
If I could make some calls I would but I know they will not give any information over the phone to me.
Continue to write him often and keep him updated on his Fiance and encourage him to go by the rules. As unfair as they might seem. Its the only way that he will be able to get out of there. Lets face it, there is not much he can do otherwise with where he is at.
OK.....good luck and dont stop trying to contact his Counselor and PO. Be cordial to them when you do speak to them. You always get nowhere if you lose your cool.
I'll check back in soon.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Oh.........there is also a possible escalation. There is a supervisor or someone that is in charge of all the Counselors. I am not sure of her name but you can certainly ask.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Oh.........there is also a possible escalation. There is a supervisor or someone that is in charge of all the Counselors. I am not sure of her name but you can certainly ask.
I appreciate hearing from you so much. I probably won't be on here much anymore, so I wanted to give you my email address in case you would like to keep in touch. It's edwinalewis@earthlink.net, and please contact me anytime you would like to talk.

As it happens, Stephen called the Wednesday after he wrote that he had been diagnosed with CREST Syndrome, and they wanted us to pick him up asap. So, we made the 13 hour drive up there on Thursday and back Friday. On Saturday morning, his fiancee's father died, and has been so much ongoing drama around here ever since. Stephen had to go to the ER that Sat. night with a viral infection, so his PO put off his appt with her until April 6, so we won't know what their next step is until then.

He is definitely trying to keep his nose clean, though. He had a psychiatrist appt yesterday and a dr's appt today, so hopefully, his meds will be worked out soon.

I hope all is going well with your son and that he is able to get through the system early. I can tell you that I was quite surprised to see the facilities. While true, it isn't a prison, it sure doesn't feel far from it. You can definitely tell it's a correctional facility and not just a rehab. But Stephen had a great counselor, and in the 3 months he was there, it made a big difference in his attitude, so I'm grateful for that.

Well, Hon, you take care, and let me know how you and your son are doing. And thanks so much for all the help and encouragement you gave me. It helped more than you know.

Hugs,
Edwina
Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM

my son is scheduled to go next monday, I too hate to see him leave Lubbock is 9 hours from our home , but I know it will be for the best, he is my only child and it is just hard to let go...thanks for your info ...and prayers
Quote:

Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 AM

I've heard this residential treatment facility provides treatment program in a safe, secure, and nurturing environment in which juveniles are encouraged to change behavior with therapeutic counseling, positive reinforcement and consistent discipline

Last edited by haha04; 12-24-2010 at 05:03 AM..
Old 06-14-2012, 06:06 AM

My son who is 19 is at the crtc in lubbock they have been awesome very helpful to me also they have a website you can pull up any and everything about this program they have litterally saved my sons life