Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the New York Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 04:12 PM

Default New York

Anyone here visit in any of the NYS facilities? My hubby is currently in Auburn
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Always Special to PTO!

What do you need to know? My guy did time in NY and knows a lot about Auburn. I could ask him any questions you might have. PM me if you like.

"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after
Old 07-12-2002, 02:52 PM

i been to wende's and watertown corr. and gowanda to.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:05 PM

Well I've been to Attica, Great Meadow, Downstate and Greenhaven, all maxes. I'm about to make my first trip to Auburn. Michelle thanks for theoffer but I'm more interested in the visitor's perspective, like what time you have to get there to beat the buses and stuff like that. If he knows, though that would be great

Old 07-16-2002, 08:40 PM
Always Special to PTO!

Things have probably changes since it's been about 6 years since he's been there but I'll ask him. I'll let you know what he says.

"Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after
Old 07-17-2002, 08:13 AM

Thanks a lot Bella, I really appreciate it. Where in Florida did you move to?

Old 07-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Always Special to PTO!

I'm near Tampa.

Old 07-17-2002, 07:41 PM

I know exactly where it is, I went to USF

Old 07-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Always Special to PTO!

did you? Are you originally from here? What part of NY are you in?

Old 07-22-2002, 02:22 PM

No I'm from New York, Queens actually, My dad and his wife were in Florida at the time so I checked out a bunch of the different schools there, FSU, U of F and USF and that's where I ended up. I only stayed a semester though and came back to be with my honey

Old 07-26-2002, 09:11 AM
Down 4 Lyfe!

Yes, my fiancee is in Ogdensburg Corr Facility. I am actually planning to go and see him next week.

I was trying to find out what things I can bring for him (food, clothes, etc.)
Old 07-26-2002, 09:15 AM

Every facility has different rules. I suggest you call there and see if you're allowed to bring packages of food. But I'm attaching a list of basic package requirements:

Package Room Guidelines
Please be aware, that we put this together as a general guideline, each facility is different. If you come across different rules, Just email me, and we can ammend this page.
Thanks
Heidi

NO glass container. Except for fresh fruit and vegetables, food products must be received commercially packaged in airtight hermetically sealed containers impervious to external influences (e.g. sealed cans, heat sealed plastic jars, glue sealed paper or cardboard boxes, etc. No health food unless approved by the Superintendent and received directly from a health food manufacturer. No home, bakery, restaurant, or delicatessen prepared foods, unless authorized under section 11-D. No alcoholic content or ingredients.

FOOD ITEMS ALLOWED
Beverages including dried beverage mix (no plastic containers)
Bread-in sealed packages no twist ties).
Canned foods no larger than 16 oz each- that do not require cooking.
Candy- no alcohol filled must be hermetically sealed
Cheese (sliced or chunk only)
Coffee.
Cold Cuts (hermetically sealed only)
Dried coffee Creamer
Fruit (no coconuts)
Meats (cooked only, hermetically sealed only)
NUTS (without shells)
Pastry
Raisins not to exceed 2oz package per food package.
Seafood- COOKED ONLY including smoked, no salted must be hermetically sealed.
Snacks- potatoe chips, pretzels, cheese twists, crackers, cookies and other similar items
Tea- NO loose tea (herbal) and flavored tea allowed).
Vegetables-fresh that DO NOT REQUIRE COOKING (except in facilities that permit cooking).

FOOD UTENSILS (PLASTIC ONLY)
Bowls, plates, cups and saucers, drinking containers (NO larger than 16 oz)
Food storage containers-2 quart maximum, spoons, forks -pliable only.

TOBACCO PRODUCT
Tobacco products must be in the original commercially sealed containers and MUST BEAR NEW YORK STATE TAX STAMP (NO EXCEPTIONS). Cigarettes- 5 cartons max. per month, Cigarette roller- limit 1. Cigarette papers. Cigars- MAX 200 per month. Pipes and pipe cleaners. Tobacco chewing and smoking. Tobacco pouch and snuff.

TOILET ARTICLES INCLUDING COSMETICS/TOILETRIES
Toilet articles including cosmetics/toiletries that do not contain alcohol, received in commercially sealed non-pressurized cans or commercially sealed plastic container or if received directly from an approved store or manufacturer.
Soap- standard size.
Soap dish-plastic only.
Stick cologne-non alcohol.
Toenail clipper-3 1/2 "maximum.
Toothbrush- non-electric, non-battery,
Tweezers.

CLOTHING
Blue, black, gray or orange clothing is not permitted with the exception of the following items which are permitted in the color black: socks, winter knit watch cap, belts, gloves/mitten, bowties and earmuffs. Any shades of colors such as melon, peach, aqua, teal, ect that are not readily distinguishable from orange, blue, (ect) are not permitted. Quilted clothing is not permitted. Snorkel type hoods are not permitted. No clothing item may exceed $50.00 in value. Allowable items must not be second hand.
Athletic supporters-no metal or plastic cup.
Bathroom-solid color only.
Belts (non-elastic)- maximum 1 ½-2" wide with buckle (1 1/2X 1 ½).
Boots- 6"maximum exclusive of 2" maximum heel, NO hollow or platform heels or soles. No pumps any color. 2" width heel, no pointed toe, no spikes. No metal shanks/support or toes.
Bow ties.
Earmuffs.
Gloves and mittens wrist length-bag gloves without metal inserts.
Handkerchiefs (WHITE ONLY).
Hats- winter knit watch cap solid color only, clear transparent plastic rain hat. Jacket (outer garment intended for use during inclement weather) Fabric, ¾ length, must be solid green in color (including lining NO HOODS). Jacket military style-solid green (including lining) field jacket without hood. No military patches, insignia or decals are permitted. (Shortwaisted "IKE JACKETS are NOT PERMITTED). Neck ties-cloth, solid colors only. Pajamas-solid colors only. Rain Jacket-clear colorless, transparent plastic, hoods permitted, maximum value $20.00. Rubber galoshes and over-shoes. Sandals. Scarves-solid colors only. Shirts- solid colors except manufacturers logo (fox, alligator, turtle, etc.). No writing permitted. Includes turtleneck, mock turtleneck, and polo shirt.
Shoes-2"heel maximum. No hollow or platform heels or soles. Any color except Blue, No metal/stone or clip on decorations. No metal supports.
Shorts-gym, Bermuda- NO LOGO.
Shower shoes.
Slippers.
Sneakers- NO BLUE. No removable inner soles. NO pockets. NO pumps. NO hollow shoes. NO metal supports.
Socks-NO pockets, solid colors only.
Sweaters- solid colors only except the manufacturers logo (fox, alligator, turtle, etc.) NO WRITING.
Sweat shirts and sweat pants cloth only, hoods permitted. These may have multiple or solid vertical stripes(s) not to exceed two inches in width. No logos or writing T-shirts-solid colors only.
Underwear-jockey, boxer, thermal.

RECREATIONAL SUPPLIES
Baseball caps- NO blue, black, gray, or orange (NO LOGOS).
Baseball shoes with rubber cleats.
Checkerboards and checkers.
Chess sets.
Dominos.
Gloves-baseball, handball.
Handballs in original sealed container.
Playing cards-original pack unopened.
Tennis balls-original sealed container only.
Note: GAMES REQUIRING DICE NOT ALLOWED.

EDUCATIONAL SUPPLIES
Books, magazines and periodicals received from other than the publisher or an approved distributed maybe delayed through the package room up to six (6) days while being subject to close security inspection. All material is subject to Media Review guidelines. Newspapers may be only received from the publisher or an approved distributor, subject to Media Review guidelines.
Carbon paper.
Cassette type automatic demagnetizer.
Clip boards-commercial 9"X15" maximum) non-metal.
Composition books- NO metal spiral binding.
Crayons.
Dictionaries.
Drafting pens. NO SHARP POINTS. NO INTERNAL OR REFILLABLE RESEVOIRS.
Drawing paper.
Erasers.
Headphones-received directly from manufacturer or established dealer only, 8-35 ohm type (maximum value $50.00). Local permit only. (See directive #4920 for additional stipulations).
Masking tape -1" maximum width.
Mini-calculator- Maximum value $30.00.
Musical Instruments-with case (maximum value $200.00) one local permit only. Notebook covers.
Paper.
Pens-ball point or felt tip only (NO fluorescent type).
Pen holders (clip type).
Pencils.
Pencil sharpener/manual)
Radio NO LARGER THAN 8"X14" -received directly from the manufacturer or established dealer only. No microphone or talk switch-recording device (see Directive #4920).
Rulers-12" maximum, non-metal.
Tape player- NO larger than 8"X14" received directly from manufacturer or established dealer only.
Tapes- (cassette) commercially sealed in cellophane or similar material, received directly from a distributor, retailer, or manufacturer only. Subject to Media Review. Religious tapes may be received from a bonafide religious organization. These tapes must be in a clear packaging and be reviewed by the Chaplains Office or the Media Review Committee.
Transparent tape-1" maximum width.
Typewriter-portable, mechanical, batter operated, eelectric, electric adaptor or converter.
Memory typewriter -memory must be 7,000 bytes or less (not including built in dictionary). No discs or any other method of transferring information from one unit to another. No external memory adapter or other addition to increase memory. Typewriter with case-maximum value $200.00. Typewriters must be received though purchase from the commissary or established dealer, or brought with the inmate from another facility.
Typewriter ribbons-maximum of 6.
Typewriter correction paper.
Typewriter print wheel-only one or an exchange basis.

MICELLANEOUS
Bedding- no blue, black, orange, gray or white permitted. Solid colors only. Calendar-NO larger than 18"X14" when opened.
Can open-manual only with short handle.
Coat hangers-plastic only.
Coffee pot-non-electric, 9-cup maximum, local permit only.
Extension chord 9' maximum, UL approved, one only, local permit.
Greeting cards-with envelopes. (NO electronically operated greeting cards) maximum of 50.
Hot pot-local permit only.
Hair dryer/blow dryer-local permit only.
Key ring.
Lamp-20" maximum, UL approved, non-intensity, maximum value $20.00 local permit only.
Lampshade, non-flammable.
Magnifying glass-plastic 2"X3" diameter maximum.
Matches- book only.
Needle and thread.
Pins-safety.
Pillow cases- NO BLUE, black, gray, white or orange, (solid color only)
Posters-18"X14" maximum (subject to Media Review).
Review guidelines.
Rug-solid color only, 3'X5' maximum, not braided (one only).
Not including prayer rug.
Saddle soap.
Shoe laces.
Sponges.
Sunglasses-standard size. NO REFLECTOR TYPE, total maximum value $25.00 (2 pairs only).
Thermos bottle- 2-quart maximum, plastic.
Tissues-eyeglasses and facial.
Towels-solid colors only, NO BLACK, gray, orange, green or white.
Washcloths-solid color only, NO BLACK, gray, orange, green or white. Watch/watchband-alarm watch permitted, maximum combined value $50.00. NO STONES. (ONE ONLY).
Watch battery-subject to one for one basis.
Wedding band-maximum value $150.00, NO STONES, NO protrusions.
Writing paper-no envelopes.
ART AND HOBBY SUPPLIES
A list of articles approved by an employee designated by the Superintendent must be submitted to the package room before they may be received by an inmate. NOTE: REFERENCE GENERAL ORDER #AEI-96

RELIGIOUS ARTICLES
Purchase, receipt or use of religious articles is subject to the provisions of directive #4204, "Religious Programs and Practices." NO COLOR RESTRICTIONS APPLY UNLESS SPECIFIED. Clothing items must not exceed $50.00 in value. Bible, Koran and other scriptural and devotional books- see directive #4202. Subject to the restrictions for other printed material covered in section IV-G of Directive #4911.
Guthra- (prayer shawl)-1 yard square.
Islamic oils six (6) vials per months must be approved by Superintendent and come from an approved source.
Kufi- a hemispheric head cap that can be cloth, knitted or crocheted, multicolored or single colored. No color prohibitions. The Kufi may have a peak on top I t must fit close to the head. No protrusions (visor, tassels, etc).
Prayer beads- see directive #4202.
Prayer rug- (one only) may be possessed in addition to rug permitted in section IV H-a, NO BLUE, black gray or orange.
Religious medal and chain $50.00 maximum value, NO STONES, maximum 2"diameter.
Robes-solid black, blue, gray, or orange not permitted.
Talit (prayer shawl), 1 yard square,
Talit Katan-fringed underwear.
Tefillin-phylactenes.
Yarmulke a close fitted skullcap that can be made of cloth, knitted or crocheted, multicolored or single color. There are no color prohibitions.

Old 07-26-2002, 09:27 AM
Down 4 Lyfe!

WOW! THanks Val...

Tell me one thing though, what is hermetically sealed mean? ARe there special stores where you can get this from? THis is all so new for me.

Thanks

patrice
Old 07-26-2002, 09:31 AM

Hermetically sealed means with the plastic around it still. YOu know those seals you have to break. When it comes to the toiletry stuff, I found it best to order it online, they're less suspicious that way. I usually go to cvs.com or drugstore.com for food I usually order it online too and I go to netgrocer.com Hope this helps

Old 07-26-2002, 10:01 AM
Down 4 Lyfe!

Thanks VAl,

I was thinking it was something extra, like a whole lot of plastic around it or someting! Where do you find pre-cooked food like that? We only have Giant, Safeway, Shoppers Food Warehouse and Food Lion here where I live.

I guess if you buy in bulk that stuff is usually sealed, huh?
Old 07-26-2002, 10:10 AM

well what kind of stuff were you thinking about brining? they mean like raw meat and stuff that you can't bring. You can bring canned food and those tyson chicken things that are already cooked. Tell me what you are thinking of buying and then I can help you.

Old 07-26-2002, 10:47 AM
Down 4 Lyfe!

WEll i know they have those pre-cooked chickens....i was thinking about those. But I dont remember those being specially sealed though? And coldcuts as well.

I was also going to bring him things like chips and cookies, tuna fish, fruit (apples, oranges, pears)

And also towels, washclothes, soap, lotion.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:56 AM

the coldcuts should be okay if they're the pre-packaged ones, not the ones from a deli counter, as for the fruit, usually they let it in. the lotion might be a problem if it isn't in a sealed box, that's why I suggested sending it from a store. The soap would be okay though also the towels, washclothes, that is if this is a prison that accepts packages from visitors. Did you ask them that? Otherwise you have to send EVERYTHING directly from a vendor

Old 07-26-2002, 12:04 PM
Down 4 Lyfe!

No, Boo said it was ok a few months ago.

I never got around to sending them, so I was just going to bring them.

The last time I went to see him, I gave this girl a ride who was going to see her man and she had tons of stuff for him...(underwear, socks, shorts, washclothes, towels, etc.) so I am sure that will be ok.

Thank you so much for the information, you really helped me out a lot!!!!!!

Are you located in New York as well? I am originally from Rochester, but I moved to Washington, DC last year.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:59 PM
Always Special in our heart..

Oh my Gosh....You can really send or bring all these things? Is this for most of the prisons in New York? Are is this just for lower levels...I would love to be able to send even 1 or 2 things like this...!
Old 07-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Always Special to PTO!

The only reason I can't wait for him to get to NY is so I can send him stuff. OK and the conjucals too,lol.

Old 07-27-2002, 09:14 PM

You can send this stuff to all NY Prisons. My hubby has always been in maximums, so I would assume the same goes for medium and minimum. The difference between the prisons is whether you can bring it directly from home or whether you have to send it directly from a vendor.

Closed Thread