Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MASSACHUSETTS > Massachusetts Prison Visitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Massachusetts Prison Visitation All information & questions related to visitation in all Massachusetts facilities should be posted here.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:54 PM

Default MCI Shirley med - Visits

Hey All-

My BF was just transferred to Shirley Med this week. I am hoping to be approved for visits. I sent my papers in last week and they said I should have an answer by early next week. I am currently on probabtion but I wrote a long letter to the Supr in Concord and he let me visit so I am PRAYING that the Supr in Shirley will be just as kind! Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Anyways, I am curious how the visits are in Shirley. I read all the 'official' stuff on the DOC website and through the post on here but I would like to talk to someone that currently visits there. Is the dresscode simular to Concord? Do you have to walk through a metal detector and then get pat searched if you set it off? I only ask because my bra ALWAYS sets it off and I know when he was up in NH if you set the metal detector off you couldn't go in - there was no option for a seperate search.

I also noticed these visits are much longer - woo hoo! What type of food do they have? Do you just put money on the canteen card? How about stuff for the kids? I usually bring my daughter but it was so hard in Concord with no bathroom and no toys. I hope Shirley has both!

Are there long lines there to get in? What is the visiting room like, do you sit side by side, at tables, across from each other? Are you allowed to kiss when you greet and leave? Can you hold hands during the visit?

Sorry about all the questions! I just thought it would be easier for someone to fill me in if I listed out all my questions rather then just ask what it is like there

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2007, 07:30 PM
SunnyChick

Hi Kierbier,

I don't know too much about the whole visiting thing. However, one Mass Forum member who visited at Shirley Medium and brought her little daughter along was Pristock230. She visited there recently enough so that I'm sure she can give you all sorts of info based on her experiences.

Why don't you send her a PM. If not, she'll see this eventually and get back to you. And we may have other members who visit there as well.

I hope everything goes well and that you're approved for visits.

Good luck, SunnyChick
Old 04-16-2007, 09:07 AM

Kierbier I responded to your PM, sorry it took me a day or two. My computer was acting a little funny yetserday. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 04-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Thanks some much for your reply - it was very helpful. My only other question is how do you sit during the visits? Are there tables or do you have to sit across from each other? Are you allowed to hold hands and kiss when you first get there?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:38 PM

There are no tables and you sit across from them, you can kiss at the begining and hold hands but the only thing is that the guys can't cross this line in front of their chair. Also if they see you being too lovey dovey they will pull him out back and say something

Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM

Thanks pristock.. its very helpful)

Old 04-29-2007, 06:16 PM

Yes- Thank you again for the information. I did get denied for visits but I wrote a letter to the super on Monday and I just got a reply that they will let me have visits if I can submit a letter from my probation officer that I have been complient so I should be able to visit by next weekend. I am so nervous/excited.

I did have a bad experience with Shirley this week though. I had dropped off a $300 money order the day he got there. I took the day off of work and drove it all the way there (50+ miles from my house) so that it would be in his account immediatly and he could order his stuff. Well he never received it. I called everyday and it never turned up. I went to the Post office to cancel it and they made me fill out a form but said I have to wait 60 days for a replacement sooooo I had to come up with another $300 bucks and I just mailed it. Of course he got the one I mailed the next day. I really don't have money like this and this whole issue has put me in debt. The woman in the finance office is very nice but I really don't understand what could have happened to it. Luckily it is made out to him and signed for by me so if someone stole it and cashed it, I think I have a good case. Thanks for letting me vent.....
Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 PM
SunnyChick

Hi Kierbier,

That's an upsetting experience you had with the missing money order. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the Treasurer's Office. I'll say this though -- I think that a number of the prisons down here in Mass have been going through the jitters. Over the past week or two, there have been ACA Audits at some of them, as well as quite a number of staff changes, so things may not be running as smoothly as usual. Let's hope you never go through that again. I know that my budget couldn't absorb a $300 hit like that.

I'm glad to learn that they're being reasonable about allowing your visits. That's good news. Stay in touch, and let us know how everything goes for you. I hope your little daughter is doing good. Aren't you glad that Spring has finally decided to make an appearance?

Take care, SunnyChick