Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Letters & Stories from Inmates & X-Cons Post all letters, stories and information from inmates and ex-convicts here. Share their perspective with the rest of us who have not been on the inside.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:02 PM
kathuarn

My son is in Florence Az. unit East and he never complains. He goes to school and is taking business courses in college. He is home sick and misses us and wants to come home. I guess he don't want to worry me.

Sarah
Old 12-30-2003, 09:08 AM
Starting Over!

I would like to say Welcome to PTO. You will find alot of support here.

I am so glad that your son is doing well. And very happy to hear that he is making good use of his time. An inmate can either choose to do the time. Or let the time do them. And it is so much easier if he chooses to do the time.

I would have loved to of gone back to college while I was in prison (also in Alabama) put was never given the chance. Since I was work release status they put me right to work. It seemed a little unfair to me at the time. But, most of the girls going to college were all life without. Or had alot of years to do. I just couldn't grasp that I wasn't aloud to go just because I only had a few years. But nothing was ever fair about that place.

Your son is very blessed . And so are you to have such a thoughtful young man. (Not wanting to worry you.)

Take care. Kathy

</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>

........But for the Grace of God, Go I.......
Old 12-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,013 Times in 559 Posts

And we are very blessed to have you here Kathy with us.
You certainly are a shining example of someone who has made something of theirselves.
Remember Hope is a good thing, it springs life eternal.
The Following User Says Thank You to babygirl350 For This Useful Post:
spiritnsoul (10-07-2010)
Old 12-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Donation Award 

This should be read by all. You tell the side that no one likes to talk about. Louis will not tell anything to me about being on the inside. He just tells me not to complain about things Because one day they could be gone. Thank you for sharing your story because it is one that should be read.
Amy
Old 12-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Starting Over!

Thumbs up louis's girl

Thanks louie girl and of course you know I love ya, Babygirl350

Reading this post about Louie telling you not to complain because it could all be gone. Made me think.confused: I may have said that a couple of times. But God Knows I need to take my own advice. And Louie's. Just today, I walked around in a constant bitch. Like I just mopped this floor yeasterday. Now look at it.
And starting tomorrow my husband has the next four days off. And here I go. " Mark, I guess you and the computer will have a nice little vacation together. I mean just bitch, bitch , bitch.
So tonight I thank you and Louie for opening my eyes up. Because at least I am not waiting in line to use the phone to call my husband. Even if he is on the computer night and day. At least he is at home and not out in a bar.
And so what if I mopped the kitchen floor (which is white) and the kids tracked it all up. At least I am not mopping the prison halls. And I am with my children.
I needed Louie's words tonight. I think I need to work on being more grateful. I promised never to forget where I have came from. And maybe I am starting to slip. Thanks for the reality check. Now I know what I need to work on. An additude of gratitude.
Thanks, Kathy:
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1bulb[1].gif (3.5 KB, 1533 views)

Old 12-30-2003, 10:44 PM

Hey there KAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glad to see ya!!! This is gettin' too weird........MY husbands name is MARK also!!!
Hi babygirl!! Good to see you TOO!!!

Don't feel too bad kat. I was a lot worse than you just a couple weeks ago---and guess what? It lasted for over a month! I have never been behind bars but I sure as hell have felt like I was in prison before. (Previous marriage!!!)
LMAO!! And kat? WE HAVE SOMETHING ELSE IN COMMON!!
THAT DAMN WHITE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hate it worse than anything---drop a can and get a CUT in the floor--walk on it and take foot impressions!! I'm only watching one kid run amok on it but his Dad is 10 times worse and even though I am real careful (cause you know who gets to take care of it)!! I also am guilty sometimes even being extremely cautious!!
The only place those floors look great is in a magazine! LMAO!!

Only SWF's should ever have white floors!!!!

Take care and catch ya later!!

Love,
Bonnie
Old 12-30-2003, 10:44 PM

Hey there KAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glad to see ya!!! This is gettin' too weird........MY husbands name is MARK also!!!
Hi babygirl!! Good to see you TOO!!!

Don't feel too bad kat. I was a lot worse than you just a couple weeks ago---and guess what? It lasted for over a month! I have never been behind bars but I sure as hell have felt like I was in prison before. (Previous marriage!!!)
LMAO!! And kat? WE HAVE SOMETHING ELSE IN COMMON!!
THAT DAMN WHITE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hate it worse than anything---drop a can and get a CUT in the floor--walk on it and take foot impressions!! I'm only watching one kid run amok on it but his Dad is 10 times worse and even though I am real careful (cause you know who gets to take care of it)!! I also am guilty sometimes even being extremely cautious!!
The only place those floors look great is in a magazine! LMAO!!

Only SWF's should ever have white floors!!!!

Take care and catch ya later!!

Love,
Bonnie
Old 12-31-2003, 08:08 AM
Starting Over!

Yup Bonnie,
Got to love white floors, teenagers, and step-children. I have a Matt 13, Kandi 16 and lets don't forget the step-daughter whom I have had for a week and will be here til Sun.
Shelby which is 12.

My Mark works from about 2PM til 3AM. And his ex never calls me and ask how long do we want Shelby for. She always manages to call Mark. This is what he says, "Oh, she can stay as long as you will let her, or as long as she likes."

For once I would just like him to say, I don't know let me check with Kathy and see what her plans are. Since she is the one here most of the time.

Shelby is a really big girl and I feel sorry for her. She wears a size 15 in ladies. Well this time when she came. She was sitting in the floor and my son walks in. And right off he notices that she is wearing thong underware. So, here is goes..."Shelby's wearing a thong" Look MOm.
Shelby instantly says," I don't like them, I only have this one pair. They kindof bother you." I knew she was embarassed. So, I said." Kandi (my 16 year old) doesn't like them either."

What the hell is her mother thinking? confused: I always check her clothes so I will be sure to send everything back. And the child has 1 pair of regular underware. And 6 pairs of thongs. This has been one hell of a week. Just pray I make it through.

2004 has to be better.

Take care and be safe. Kathy:

Old 12-31-2003, 09:54 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Hi Rainydayw and Kat
Just keep on hanging in there and we will all make it.
I also have a white floor, yuk!
No kids, but with 2 dogs and 1 cat, let me tell you they keep me hopping.
Kathy you will always remember where you have been, however, you know where you are now,and you have only to go forward from here. You are one heck of a lady in my book and I so admire you.
My best for Happy New Year to all of you.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:10 AM
one lucky woman

Happy new year Kat from yet another who enjoys reading you immensely...and having been through the stepparent/Woman Of All Work thing, BOY DO I KNOW! it's a minefield.esp with teens! I can't even imagine throwing a white floor into the mix.
And please don't lose that blunt edge. you give us the real deal. I loved your post about appreciating stuff. knowing a person in prison has really shaped me up that way- whatever little aggravations life hands me, I try to stay grateful that at least I'm out here to "enjoy" them LOL

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 12-31-2003, 10:15 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

I second that, Ill take the real deal any time over candy coated. At least you know what you are truely in for.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:56 AM
Starting Over!

Default Happy 2004

Babygirl, Haswtch, Bonnie and PTO friends

I wish you all a Happy New Year. And I pray what ever your situation is. (Loved ones in prison) whatever, that this year be the year of New Beginnings for each of us.

There is something to be admired in all of us. I am so thankful to have found this place filled with wonderful women as yourselves. I pray that one day. Even if it's 20 years from now to meet you ladies. You are beautiful people. That I feel I could tell anything to. And you would understand.

This year I have the dreaded faith of trying to find a job. I was laid off (as manager of English Pool Company) back in October. I have been hiding myself behind this computer an this house for fear of rejection. There is no since in lying to you girls. I know when I go in to put in my application under no terms am I gonna check convicted felony. (Please don't look down on me for not being honest) but I had rather lie. And give my employer a chance to get to know me. Then explain to she/he a couple months down the road that I have been in prison. And then they can choose for themselves to keep me or let me go.

But if I check convicted felony. Most will not even give me an interview. Much less give me a job. I remember once I was released on probation several years ago. I ask my probation officer if I had to tell them. And he said. Not if you want them to hire ya. That was such a relief. I hate being singled out. I mean say you cheat on your husband.(IN the past) You don't have to tell it on your application. It doesn't effect your work. You as a person. But after being there if you make friends with you employer and choose to share something personal about yourself then so be it.

O.K I know I am trying to convince myself that telling a little white lie on my application is the way to go.

When I really know I should be honest. But don't ya, think that just a little white lie. (Just until they get to know the real me is ok?)

Help!!!!The truth is I am scared to death to go job hunting. My last two jobs. Came from empoyers meeting me while I was on work release. And ask me to work for them when I came home.

I can't promise I will take your advice. But, I sure as hell promise to listen. Don't give me no mumble, jumble of the right thing to do. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Come on. Think real hard ladies and anyone else reading this. I need all the help I can get.

Oh, and if by chance anyone form Alabama reading this. And looking for a hard worker. I can start work on Monday!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, Kathy

Why is my post always so long. I mean I start with a sentence and end with a novel...........damn

Old 12-31-2003, 12:48 PM
Account Closed

Hey...I am scared to go out job-hunting,too!!! I am very well-educated and have had some excellent jobs...before...my felony conviction...when I got out in 2002...I wuz all pumped up about getting a job...even wanted to get two jobs so I could save money and get my own place...well...it's been over a year and here I am...still at my parents house and working part-time for my Mom!!!...sigh...it seems that when employers see "felon" they automatically just assume the worse...it is so not fair but...I have been in the position of hiring and I know the facts. I am actually going to start the dreaded search again next week cuz my mom's business is not doing too good right now and I am making NO money...I do not know what I will put on the applications...I know that IF they run the check and I have lied then I will NOT even get a chance so...I will probably just go ahead and check it and write..."will explain in interview???" or something like that!!! Anywayz...happy new year to all of you!!!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:51 PM
one lucky woman

employers are surely missing out on some great people that's obvious! wish I had advice, but you have my prayers.

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 12-31-2003, 01:56 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Kathy and JoJo-I wish I had some great words of advice for you both, but the truth is I dont. I havent walked in your shoes. I have always felt that honesty is the best policy, however, in your case it has to be rough.
I will share with you this tho, for whatever it is worth, there was a company in Jacksonville, Florida, that was WELL KNOWN for hiring convicted felons.
Well I was dating a convicted felon and he felt just as you both do.
Anyway, he went and lied on the application and he didnt get the job.
They called him in for an interview and told him that he was more than qualified and they were sure that he would have been a good employee, however, they wouldnt take the risk since he lied to start with.
Kathy, have you at least tried the suggestion I PM'd you with a while ago?
Whether your post is a line, or a novel, we all ENJOY reading you.
I know you both will come up with the right decision for yourselves in your situation.
I know if I were in a position of hiring, I would give someone a chance.
Yet again, my feelings towards convicted felons perhaps are different than others.
My prayers and thoughts are with you both as you search your answer within yourselves to do what you have to do.
I will accept whatever decision you make, because it is your decision and I will stand by it.
Just as we stand by each other here.
We are all in it for the long haul.
Happy New Year to you both, as I have to leave for work now, wont get a chance to come back before tomorrow.
By the way, I did notice we have an Employment Forum here, I have never been there, but is it worth checking out for the two of you? Just a thought.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Starting Over!

Default job

Well glad to know I am not alone here. It's sorta a damned if you do. And damned if you don't situation. Ok say you lie. And they do say well since you lied on you application I just cannot hire you. Are they really saying that because it is the truth. Or because they just found our your a felon. And that is as good an excuse as any.

Anyway, I am gonna just feel my way through. I thing I am a pretty good judge of character. So, while they are interviewing me. I will in return feel them out. I will just leave it blank. Until they call me. Then we can discuss it.

Good luck JoJo on your job journey as well. Maybe this will be our year...........Kathy

Old 01-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Good question Kathy, sorry I dont know the answer. I think tho that is a good decision tho, you feel them out. At best it will give you an opportunity to tell your side of the story.
Good luck to the both of you, this is going to be a good year, because it is an even year. Even years are always the best, more positive, however, just my opinion.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayw
BACK AGAIN!!

I'm told that there are no "CARE" pkgs. allowed, no girlie mags. etc. so I'm just wondering where it is that you can send in smokes etc.?? That would be a real boost if that were allowed but so far, county, city, or Fed. has not been open to anything like that!!
you cannot send them much of anything as far as smokes all you can do is send money to there account so they can buy smokes
Old 01-30-2004, 01:35 PM

you cannot send them much of anything as far as smokes all you can do is send money to there account so they can buy smokes
Old 01-30-2004, 01:42 PM

it seems that prisons in the state of florida are kind of like the mexican prisons they want to bleed the imates family for every cent they can i read the state of florida made 13 million dollars off imate collect calls and the only long distance company you have a choice of useing is MCI why is the state of florida keeping the other access long distance number from the imates i guess it is like the mexican prisons if they have your love ones jailed they are going to bleed there families for every cent they can
Old 02-20-2004, 03:19 AM

to the job question isnt that called discrimination and unlawful in the workforce???? so what would be the diffrence in telling the truth or not! i know how it feels to write all the times i have gone to county for traffice tickets petiy larceny....over 10x and it is embarresing i didnt write down i hade traffic tickets for the school district and they said i cant apply for 3yrs. so sometimes i do and dont some jobs look into it and dont if you think this is the job for you and not just to get by go for not telling becouse that job wont look they will just want to see first hand the best employee they hired.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:24 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Unfortunately discrimination does exist. It is seen all over in employment, housing, schools, promotions, etc.

It is not likely to go away even though there are laws to protect us. The laws have to be enforced and that takes money usually.

Old 09-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Starting Over!

Wow, I just went back and read my whole prison story.........and it has been almost a year since I placed it here..........maybe I need to to a life after prison.........LOL

That is when it's really hard........You come home all changed. To find everyone else is still the same. As most of you know I have relapsed.....And am trying to come back.....

I think coming back a re living my experience will help me think twice.

Fedx emailed me once and ask if he could make my story an article?. It never happened. NOw, I am thankful. I am still not working........still have the husband. My daughter doesn't live with me any longer. But, and my son is almost 15. He loves me with understanding....my daughter loves me but has alot of angry........

I would like to give a special thanks. Had I never written my story I would not have found two very special ladies that are in my life today.........though them I get support and strength........and of course alot of other PTO family members.

Each day is a struggle. I have no desire to ever grace the walls of prison again. I have been home over 3 years now. And am currently working on a pardon from the State of Alabama. I don't know if I will get it. Or if I am deserving. But, it is my last step in forgiveness.......from this state.

All my prayers and love for each of you who have a loved one in prison. And my hats off to those that are coming home.........Kat

Old 09-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmat1995
Wow, I just went back and read my whole prison story.........and it has been almost a year since I placed it here..........maybe I need to to a life after prison.........LOL

That is when it's really hard........You come home all changed. To find everyone else is still the same. As most of you know I have relapsed.....And am trying to come back.....

I think coming back a re living my experience will help me think twice.

Fedx emailed me once and ask if he could make my story an article?. It never happened. NOw, I am thankful. I am still not working........still have the husband. My daughter doesn't live with me any longer. But, and my son is almost 15. He loves me with understanding....my daughter loves me but has alot of angry........

I would like to give a special thanks. Had I never written my story I would not have found two very special ladies that are in my life today.........though them I get support and strength........and of course alot of other PTO family members.

Each day is a struggle. I have no desire to ever grace the walls of prison again. I have been home over 3 years now. And am currently working on a pardon from the State of Alabama. I don't know if I will get it. Or if I am deserving. But, it is my last step in forgiveness.......from this state.

All my prayers and love for each of you who have a loved one in prison. And my hats off to those that are coming home.........Kat
Maybe FedX is just waiting for the story to be continued life after prison.

As far as a relapse it happens, you are not alone. It is quite common. That doesn't mean you will never make it.

God is a forgiving God, not a punishing God. He is on your side and I am rooting for you as well.

We are all in this together at PTO remember, we are here for support.

So when that urge hits you jump on here instead.
Or email someone, or call someone.

We are all here for you Kat.

I hope Alabama will give you the pardon. You certainly are deserving of it.

Take care and be well.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:52 PM
Loving Life Now!!

Kat, I read your story tonight, and I have to say, you are amazing!! I could feel all of your fears as I was reading along. You have a genuine gift for writing.
I hope you get that pardon from Alabama. I will keep you in my prayers.

Take care of you,
Nancy