Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss California prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:19 AM

Question Packages to DVI

Hello All,

I've spent a good amount of time reading other posts to try and find some answers to a few questions I have but was unable to clearly find what I need SO, I apologize in advance if there is a post with answers to the following questions. Any help will be much appreciated.

My brother-in-law in currently in DVI and not on the mainline. He wrote us asking for money and he sent a list of "things he can buy". Can we not send him a package from Packages R Us? I read somewhere that he can't receive packages because he is not mainline. If this is the case then if someone could be please just reply and confirm that I will proceed with just sending a money order. But, if he can receive packages then I need to know the following:

If I send a package and he gets transferred in the meantime, will the package follow him like mail does?
Which DVI facility do I send to because the Packages R Us website has DVI A/B or DVI D listed?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read/respond to my questions. I'm totally confused by the whole prison system rules & regulations!

JR
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2006, 05:54 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

Sorry to tell you but they can not receive packages until they are mainlined. Right now you can really do is send the money so they can get their stuff. Instead of sending a moneyorder which can take some time to post you might want to check out JPay which posts thier money within a couple of days. You can find it on the web. Just remember that the prison takes 55% (as of Jan. 1) of any money you send.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,431 Times in 686 Posts

shaa is right reception can NOT receive packages. ONLY mainline. He can have money sent. I always send money thru jpay. It gets to them pretty quickly.
Prisoners are master manipulators, they have LOTS of time to hone this craft. They tell you what you want to hear and will go as far has marriage to get all they want and need from you! So beware!! If he truly Loves you he will wait till he gets out to marry you!!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:23 PM

Okay, thank you for the info. I hadn't heard of Jpay so I will check that out. I really appreciate your help.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:35 AM

Hi jr2006 - My BF is in reception at DVI right now so if you have any Q's let me know and I think I can help.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:12 PM

My boyfriends in DVI and I recently used jpay it says in the site the money has been sent but I have yet to hear anything from my bf. Does anybody know do they let them know they have money or do the inmates just check themselves to find out?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:53 PM

Default You gotta read the fine print....

I send $ via J-Pay and it says on there that inmates aren't always notified that someone has sent money. What I usually do is print out the confirmatin page showing how much was sent and when so that he knows that money was sent. 10 times out of 10 he's already received the money by the time he gets my letter - the mail is just so damn slow sometimes

TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyluvsears
My boyfriends in DVI and I recently used jpay it says in the site the money has been sent but I have yet to hear anything from my bf. Does anybody know do they let them know they have money or do the inmates just check themselves to find out?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:38 AM

Does the prison really take 55%??
I knew they take out some but that much? I think that sucks!!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Donation Award 

55% is taken out only if the inmate owes restitution--the money taken out goes towards paying it. If they do not owe restitution then nothing is taken out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyluvsears
Does the prison really take 55%??
I knew they take out some but that much? I think that sucks!!