Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina Member Introductions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

North Carolina Member Introductions Please post your introduction here if you are involved with the North Carolina prison system.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Anyone have tips on visit to Avery Mitchell?

Hello, I also posted this under the visitation thread in the main forum but i am glad i found this folder esp for NC,hopefully someone has already been there and done this
I am visiting a man whom a relationship has developed thru writing letters and phone calls.We love each other madly and are committed to making "us" work despite distance,and his time. As if i wasnt scared enough with this being our first visit,and my first visit to a prison,i am driving 9 hours to see him and i am scared to death i am going to do something to screw up our visit. As i read the post under the visitation thread i became more and more scared that i am going to wear something wrong,or do something wrong.I believe that i am the first "girl" interaction he has had since being locked up.I dont want him to be too overly excited and do something inappropriate ( he already said last night on the phone that he wants to squeeze my rear...not a good idea i think) My biggest concerns are my facial piercings.Has anyone had them and had to remove them? My tongue is fresh and will close(only 3 weeks old) i also have a labret (small stud under my lip)My ears are gaged also but i am going to just take them out now. Am i allowed to chew gum??? I cant wear jeans because of the buttons and stuff? What about stretch pants? Those would probably be too revealing.....i am so scared i just want things to go ok and i surely dont want to do anything to jepordize our visit.I will see if there is a folder to post specifically about visitation in NC prisons and post there also.I apologize if i put this in the wrong thread, i am just freakin out and trying to get any advice to keep me from doing anything wrong.
James's Baby....
Avery Mitchell,Spruce Pine
6 yrs=(
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2006, 04:01 PM

Hi James's Baby,

Welcome to PTO!

When my husband was at Avery Mitchell I wore jeans and a bra with an underwire and didn't have problems with the metal detector. I don't know about piercings. I think there are some others on here that have loved ones at Avery Mitchell that can tell you more.

Candy
Old 11-21-2006, 04:09 PM

Hi Candy
Thank you so much for your reply.Did you take your car keys in ok? What type of shoes did you wear?Isnt that the silliest thing...having to worry about the type of shoes you can wear?? I want to wear my clogs but they have like rivet things on them.The more i read the more worried i am getting but i need to read up on stuff to get educated on everything.Thanks again for your help
Old 11-21-2006, 06:01 PM

James Baby,
It has been a while (2002 I think?!) since I visited at Avery Mitchell...you can bring your keys in and if they haven't taken them out they had vending machines, so put a few dollars and change in a clear sandwich bag...when you go thru the metal detector you put your keys and change bag in a tray...also, take your drivers license or ID...as best I remember, you line up at the outside building, go thru the metal detector and then out the door, to the outside, and into another building...at that building you had to sign in a log, and then everyone lined up in front of these electric doors...when they have a good group, they will let you into the actual visiting area. You get a hug and kiss at the start of the visit (NO, I wouldn't recommend him copping a feel!) and a hug and kiss at the end of the visit...the CO's there were mulling around, and they keep a pretty close eye on everyone...the guys have to have their feet under the table at all times, and (depending on the CO and the mood he is in) their hands in view at all times...just don't show your tummy or have a low-cut blouse on and you should be OK...
The drive up the mountain is treacherous...just be very careful! And coming down the mountain, be sure to use your low gear so that you don't burn your brakes up! I remember one time I had to pull over and let my brakes cool because they started smelling like burning rubber!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 PM

They took the vending machines out while my husband was there.
As far as shoes I wore tennis shoes most of the time. I'm not sure about the clogs you want to wear.

Candy
Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 AM

Can any one tell me how well Avery Mitchell is supervised.
Are the officers & administrators fair?
Is it a good environment?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:28 PM
The one I love!

I have a loved one who is avery-mitchell. The CO and staff there are really good and do supervise very well when you go in the visiting area. They walk up and down watching everything that happens. They are quite fair and seem to be very friendly as long as they don't see anything happening. The enviroment is very clean and no issues that I know of. As far as the jerwerly. You can't over do it with the jerwerly. They have a posting outside before you go into the metal detector. As far as the shoes you want to wear. I wore boots with the steel eyes on them and they were ok. You might be ok with the cloggs. Take an extra pair of shoes just incase you can't wear those. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by Greyfeather; 07-02-2011 at 06:30 PM..