Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > NY DOC - What You Need to Know > New York Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New York Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in New York State facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the New York forum.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:30 PM

Red face Does your bra set off the metal detector?

For the last two years every visit my bra ,no matter which one I wear and I have tried all of them,sets off the metal detector.
Collins always made me take it off every week oneida has me go through sideways. does this happen to you?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Love it or Shove it......

Can I tell you that I think it's the sensitivity level they put the machine at. I've been to quite a few facilities and sometimes I'll ring sometimes I won't. I never rang at Oneida and I would wear underwire, sounds like they increased the sensitivity setting. At GM when I would go on the regular visit I would ring and have to go through sideways, but when I would go on the trailers (they have a separate detector) I wouldn't ring.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:08 PM
UNBREAKABLE
Donation Award 

The first time I visited my husband the metal detector went off... they made me go in the bathroom, take off my bra and put it in a paper bag.... and put on a filthy smock and come out and walk through... I was disgusted and said I would never go through that again.

Since that visit I've always worn a camisole (with the bra support) or a sports bra.

They won't get me like that again
Old 11-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Closed

The whole time Rah was at Auburn I always wore an underwire bra ( can't have my girls unsupported ! ) Now where he is at I was advised by a fellow PTOer that if you wear underwire it will set off the detector and you have to go through that whole paper bag business... NOT for me ! For the first time in over 10 years I had to buy a bra with no wire it feels so weird...
Old 11-19-2006, 04:16 AM
Only the strong survive

I agree with Oshoney I think they put the machine at a certain level, often times my bra never set off the detector then lately it was. What I do is b4 I go in I take m y bra off and place it in a bag myself then when I go through and I'm inside then I go to the bathroom and put it back on. Its disgusting when they give you that dirty smock that every woman ismade to put on, and I'm talking one only.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:35 AM

Where my husband is at i beeped going through the first time. My friend beeps everytime. One day i was at k-mart and bought a boxer joe underwire bra and it did not set the detectors off while at the same time my friends still did. She went and got the same brand as i did and no issues since. A few people have actually talked to me about it in the past and a few have gone and got the same brand underwire and they havent beeped since. Much better then feeling awkward without an underwire and much easier then having to wait for the next round to be patted down.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Love it or Shove it......

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBE
The whole time Rah was at Auburn I always wore an underwire bra ( can't have my girls unsupported ! )

Me too! I never rang at Auburn. at GM you don't have to take off your bra because they'll wand you. However, at Elmira they refuse to use the wand and you have to take your bra off. I've never heard of the smock thing and yeah that pretty gross. I remember one time at Elmira my skirt had buttons and it was ringing and they didn't let me in they gave me a pair of sweats to put on and I was like "oh f u, it's one thing to take off your bra, I can deal with that but it's another thing to were sweats that you have no idea who's used them". I went straight to my car and put on the pants I drove up with. That's why it's important to bring an extra set of clothes. It's like "expect the unexpected" when going through the detectors.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:48 AM

I don't wear underwire to visits,it's the hooks and eyes that set it off!I don't have a whole lot to suport but there is no way I am going into a male facility with out one ,I don't even wonder my house without it!
Old 11-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Always thinking of him...

I never wear any bra with metal in it at all - no underwire, no hooks! I have a few sports bras that are very supportive with no metal. They do flatten my girls out a little bit, but its worth it not having to deal with the CO's and having to take it off!

"The few hours I spend with you are worth the thousand hours I spend without you!"
Old 11-19-2006, 09:30 AM

I have a bra from Lane Bryant..the bra that you can make strapless..that never sets the alarm off. So I wear that at every visit.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Faith..Hope..Love..
Donation Award 

I always just wear a sports bra because where my husband is, they will make you take it off just to make sure that's what it is. I can't be so bothered with that.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Bless You!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowandVonne
I have a bra from Lane Bryant..the bra that you can make strapless..that never sets the alarm off. So I wear that at every visit.
I am so glad you posted this! I have been wearing sports bras which barely hold the girls up and make me look like I have one really long and lopsided boob LMAO! I hate them! When I went to see Columbo on Sat. I wore a top that would not tolerate no support and I wore the underwire bra and went through the process of taking the bra off, which I vowed to never have to go through again, but my outfit was too cute and I had to wear the wire. Anyway, I've been wearing those stupid sports bras for the longest. I've had that bra from Lane Bryant that I bought cause it was on sale and have never used it for anything, but I will be wearing it to see my baby from now on! BLESS YOU!!!!

Old 11-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Donation Award 

I have two Playtex bras that I reserve just for the visits because they do not have any underwires. I hate the sports bras too because there is just NO support. We do what we have to do!!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:17 AM
LOVE U DADDY ALWAY!

I've tried so hard to find a bra that don't ring don't like the sports bra, so I just take my bra off in the bathroom go through N put it back on so I don't ring going through OK we need to get together and build a visit bra

Hold fast to dreams,

for if dreams die,

life is a broken winged
bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Old 11-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Mel's past-present+future

Ladycee that is a great idea! A visit bra 24hr protection,cross your heart hope to die support something like us.Burlington also sells these totally supportive bras with no wire and they are only 6bucks!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,165 Times in 2,972 Posts
Default there is definitiely a difference

in sports bras(I started with chaep ones, got a good one and couldn't believe the difference)-the good ones have pretty good support-they all flatten you out-that's how they keep the "bounce" factor down for the well-endowed ladies who run and all that nutty stuff!

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 11-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

Hell yes!!!!!!!!

I got lucky in that department... It's a family trait!

And seriously all the bras I can get to fit, all have metal and will set off the detector.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Dancin' with my Prince...

At Wallkill, I have never set it off, but they don't mind underwires...thank God 'cause I'm a D cup! When mt baby got to Wallkill, I threw all of my wireless bras out in the trash!

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 11-26-2006, 05:04 PM

But, just so you ladies know...Victoria's Secret makes an awesome wireless - IPEX - that offers the best support from a wireless that I ever had.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 11-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Proverbs 31 Woman

Default My bra sets off the alarm at every visit

Fortunately, at Otisville, they don't make you take off your bra - I once told the CO for a 43 year old woman that has breastfed three children, that's not really a pretty picture. They just pass the wand over me after I walk through the detector. A sports bra, ummmmm, not with these girls and unfortunately, it isn't easy to find 42D at Victoria's Secret!

Last edited by blacklove0607; 11-26-2006 at 08:11 PM..
Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,169 Times in 884 Posts

Downachic-im With You And Lady Cee. Nothing Is Worse When You Here That Beep. You Know The Person That Is Behind You Is Agitated. The Co Is Agitated And Your Thinking "give Me A Break" Lmaoo. Im Gonna Have To Go To Burlington And See What They Have. I Have Something Like Vonne Said. Its A Convertible Bra With The Plastic Straps. I Take It Off As Soon As The Visit Is Over Cause Its Aggravating. I Paid $5.00 For It In Rainbows. I Tried That Whole Sports Bra Thing. Its Not Attractive At All.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Mel's past-present+future

Sports bras make any chest look like a 13 year old boys! and what man wants to wait sometimes 2 weeks to see their woman looking like a boy!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:14 AM

I'm telling you girls, Victoria's IPEX! Anything above 34D is available online or catalog only though.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Closed

Also Lanebryant has a wirefree bra. I perssonally can't fit nothing Victoria Makes except maybe some lotion and body mist The LaneBryant one is a bit pricey(about $30+) but they have large sizes for us larger women
Old 11-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,169 Times in 884 Posts

Missvee-i Have A Coupon For Lanr Bryant Im Gonna Have To Look There Also. Maybe I Can Get A Good Deal. Hey If I Dont Wear It To The Visits, It Should Get Me Thru Airport Security.smiles