Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TDCJ - What You Need to Know > Texas Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in Texas facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the Texas forum.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Visitation for SAFP Jester 1 Unit - Richmond, Texas

Are the visitation rules to the SAFP Facilities the same as the TDCJ visitation rules? If anyone has recently visited a loved one in a SAFP facility, especially the Jester 1 unit, would you please share any information? Especially regarding who can visit. Does it have to be immediate family members? Can it be a friend or girlfriend? Just trying to help with the visitor list. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2006, 04:14 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,158 Times in 729 Posts
Smile Hi BB's Mom Too !

Welcome to PTO! Boy, this is truly an experience, isn't it? I've been told that the basic visitation guidelines are the same for the units. I'm not familiar with Jester but can share my experience at Glossbrenner with you.

I was a nervous nelly before visiting my son the first time. I read so much here and ended up calling the unit. I was told - no shorts, no skirts above the knee, slacks and jeans were okay, no opened toed shoes, no tank tops or sleeveless shirts, no flip flops and any type of opened toe shoe had to be worn with hose. Also, no white, nothing see through or revealing and no underwire bras. So, I go to my first visit wearing capri's and a top that I had changed three times because I just knew you could see through all of them with opened toe shoes and knee high hose! and some funky bra with no underwire that was not very flattering, shall I say What a joke! I get into the visitors room and people are wearing flip flops and sleeveless though not revealing tops. Two weeks ago I forgot to put on my non wireless bra and paniced when he ran the "wand" over me. The guard started laughing at me and said - we're not that bad! I said to him - you mean I've been wearing those funky butt uncomfortable things for five months for nothing????? He just started laughing and said watch this.....the bra didn't even set the wand off as he ran it back over. The point to this is....just dress sensibly.

Visitation list.....yes, anyone can be added to the visitors list. It doesn't matter if it's friend or family. Just make sure their information matches perfectly to their TDL. Children under 18 can also visit but must be accompanied by an adult.

You can take $20 in quarters to your visit. That is for the vending machines. Your son can tell you what he would like from the machine but cannot get up himself. He is required to sit across from his visitors. You can hug and kiss on initial greeting and at leaving. You can hold his hand during the visit. Call the unit ahead of time. They have family group on the weekend which will give you an extra hour of visiting time. But let the guard know when you first go in that you'd like to know what time group is and would like to participate because they're restricted to how many families and it fills up fast.

Hope this helps some. Please relax. Most of the officers are very human and friendly. I let them know from my first visit that I'm new to all of this and they helped me along. Now I'm an old timer and they're very friendly.

Good luck and God Bless

Janice

"Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will bring me safely through. Your fist is clenched against my enemies. Your power will save me."

Old 11-20-2006, 12:29 PM

BB's Mom Too,

Mamajmg said everything I would have said. My one piece of advice is to get there early. We always got there when the doors opened. It is a lot quieter! I don't like places that are loud and hard to have conversations, so I preferred to get there, so we were one of the first visitors.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Harold's Angel

the lady that has a loved one in jester unit. Where are you driving from
Old 12-30-2006, 10:55 AM

Pls. let me know too.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 PM

Pasadena Area and went yesterday and had a great visit
Old 01-02-2007, 07:52 PM

I am waiting for my husband to go to Safp. He has been told that everyone here gets sent to the Brekenridge Facility (near Abilene). We are in Conroe (45 min north of houston) but we are hoping he gets sent to Jester 1. Does anyone know about halfway house locations for after Safp and if there is any choice in which one they go to?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 AM

Hi
Maybe I can help alittle. My boyfriend has in the last 5 years been
to SAFP 2 times and to halfway houses, regular unit for 10 months.
and my brother is at Jester III. There is no single way the decide
on where they will go. My boyfriend just got out of Glossbrenner
which is 9 hrs. from us and Johnson Unit (where he was the first
time is 25 miles). They are all overcrowded, so they don't get
a choice. Same thing with the halfway houses. There are 7
halfway houses approved if they are on parole, The Jester Units
are pretty good. The same warden is over all of them and he has
made alot of good changes so the SAFP at Jester would be good.
Good luck
Old 01-03-2007, 05:18 PM

MBB is right if someone is waiting to go to SAFP, they wait until a bed is available. My son was sent from Harris County to Glossbrenner in San Diego, TX. This was about a 5 hour drive for us. He was then sent to Beaumont for the halfway house, which was about 2 hours away. It comes down to the availabilty of space.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylAngel
I am waiting for my husband to go to Safp. He has been told that everyone here gets sent to the Brekenridge Facility (near Abilene). We are in Conroe (45 min north of houston) but we are hoping he gets sent to Jester 1. Does anyone know about halfway house locations for after Safp and if there is any choice in which one they go to?
Jester I is a special needs facility, and unless he has a dual diagnosis (ie. severe medical issues or psychological issues) he won't go there. The Walker Sayle Unit in Breckenridge is one of the best.
The TTC (Transitional Treatment Center or halfway house) in Abilene, is his best bet. There are very few approved TTC's left in the state because of funding shortages. Normally, the SAFP will give him the option of picking three TTC's before his discharge. It will mainly depend on his discharge date and the space they have at the TTC at the time. Tell him when they ask for his options to write Oak Tree on all three. Even if he has to wait a month to get in, he will have a better chance of making it than at one of the other TTC's in Tx. I should know, I work there.
In the past year we've had 5 major inspections from various agencies, and we've been complimented by them all as the top TTC in the state.
Be aware that SAFP is very different from prison. I don't condone any of the drug abuse treatment that it has to offer, but once he's released to a TTC, he can begin to rebuild his life.
Abilene has a city bus system, and even late evening pickups for when he starts working. We also have a lot of people call us for day labor workers almost every day so our clients can get some pocket money for phone cards, cigarettes. We have a church we take them to when they get here to get them some decent clothes too.
When your husband is about to be released, find out which TTC he is being released to and get their information to ask them about visitation and bringing them clothes and things.
I hope all goes well for your husband and perhaps in a few months I'll get the chance to meet him. If you have any more questions, let me know.