Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region I Facilities > Region I Work Release Centers
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Region I Work Release Centers Information and Discussion about the following facilities: Panama City WRC, Pensacola WRC, SHISA-East, SHISA-West, Tallahassee WRC

Old 10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Should it hurt this bad?

Default Okaloosa Work Camp

My sons father is at Okaloosa Work Camp, just wondering if anyone knew anything about it? Is it a work realease or is it pretty much like the forestry camps? Appreciate any insight on the matter Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Chase's Mom

Default Okaloosa Correctional Institution

My son was just transferred to Okaloosa Work Camp a month ago. I don't know mwuch yet either. He said it was a work camp and that he may even be able to work rodeo's and state fairs. I don't know very much yet though. I will post when I get new info.

VJ
Old 09-23-2007, 10:30 PM

It is both. It is a secured facility on one part and the other part of the prison is a work camp.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Chase's Mom

Unfortunately he has been put in a cell for silly things so many times they took him out of the work camp and put him in a more secure area. Silly, silly boy. I don't think I could have held it together as long as he has. I would have been shot by now! ; )
Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Chase's Mom

Anyone else have any insight into Okaloosa Correctional Institute in Crestview, FL.?

My son says the guards love to provoke young men because they are easily riled. I know the type of men/women who hold these prestigious positions. They are type A personalities without the brians to do much else. They make about $9. an hour and feel powerful because they have control over other human beings. They can't qualify to be real police officers so they take these menial jobs because it makes them feel like cops. They seem to take their frustrations out on the inmates. Apparently they don't have to answer to anyone for bullying or just being jerks. They can do pretty much whatever they want. After all, who is going to take an inmate's word over a guard?
Anyone agree?

Last edited by vjatlanta; 01-31-2008 at 12:25 PM..
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 PM

my son has been at the Okaloosa work camp for about 5 months now and has no problems. Everything is going well. However he does tell me about other inmates who can provoke guards and do things they should not. He won't get involved with too many as he has chosen to do nothing to jeporadize his gain time. He works currently in DOT and likes it. I have visited four times and everyone has been kind. He has seen a few go into the box, etc but admits it really was their own fault. I am sure there are some ignorant officers as well but he has never made any of them an issue. I hope that is helpful! I actually am grateful he is there from what I hear about others.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Chase's Mom

Talking

For a minute I thought you were insinuating that my son was bad and yours good. I thought we were at the park with our 5 year olds. [Just kidding]
Had my son ever learned to keep his mouth shut when someone in authority was ugly to him, he probably wouldn't be in prison. He's an awesome young man. He has a lot of anger issues. My ex-husband bullied him relentlesly. He would scream and spit in Chase's face while backing him into a wall so there was no escape. He would hit him any place he could reach when Chase tried to get away. It was a very ugly situation. We got out when he was around 12 years old. That was way too late.
God has plans for this boy. I have known that since I was expecting him. These are his training grounds. Everything he does, sees, touches, everyone he meets is teaching him. It may take him a minute to get it, but he will.
I am really glad your son is able to stay out of trouble. I thought, just last night that Chase will do every second of his time because he has such a hard time with authority. The guards are frustrated cop wannabes. My partner is a police officer. We have been around some of the corrections officers. They have huge egos and need someone under their thumbs to make them feel important. I know that's not true for all of them but there is a "type" just as there is a "type" who becomes a police officer. Fortunately it isn't my problem to deal with every day because I couldn't handle them either. I would probably stay in the hole. Good think I stay out of trouble, or rather have connections if I don't! [again, kidding]

Take good care. Hug your son.

VJ
Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM

I feel God has a plan for my son too! He does have anger issues as well but has really dove into God's word for strength. I send him alot of material from the christian book store.

The sad part is we know they are good boys and they have hearts! The world is challenging but they have to step up to the plate. I have alot of guilt in my own way for some of his up bringing and a step dad issue too (previous marriage). He and I both have to get over that though because reality is you have to move on.

Funny as my husband is a police officer as well. He started in the county jail over 27 years ago!! My step son is 19 and just started at Hendry correctional. He is such a good boy, he called the inmates sir and was corrected promptly. He said the inmates are trying him as he is young and new. He is trying to find the fine line of dealing with that. He is being trained to not be hard on them, respect them, but make sure they follow the rules. I could never do the job. And I do agree with you about ego....all positions of authority seem to seed big ego in so many. You wonder what happens to their hearts. It sickens me hearing about so many on the inside and what they go through. Not to mention us as parents, especially us moms. BIG!!!!

Nick has about 8 months left and a whole life ahead!

I wish the best for you and Chase I can hear in your post that you really believe in him and that there are good things ahead for him. Having your support will be his biggest blessing!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 PM

My fiancee has been in Okaloosa Correctional Institute since December of last year. So far we have not had any problems. He has seen several other inmates get into some trouble, but for the most part they brought it on themselves. He tries to avoid any kind of trouble as much as possible, just wants to serve his time and come home so we can begin our new life together!! I wish the best to you and your families. I must say I don't really have a problem with Okaloosa C.I. other than the fact some of the guards are extremely cocky and act like their your friend just to stab you in the back late.r
Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I drank the Kool-Aid

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcgowan View Post
My fiancee has been in Okaloosa Correctional Institute since December of last year. So far we have not had any problems. He has seen several other inmates get into some trouble, but for the most part they brought it on themselves. He tries to avoid any kind of trouble as much as possible, just wants to serve his time and come home so we can begin our new life together!! I wish the best to you and your families. I must say I don't really have a problem with Okaloosa C.I. other than the fact some of the guards are extremely cocky and act like their your friend just to stab you in the back late.r
My hubby's at Okaloosa CI too. Doesn't have any problems except boredom (no programs). Keeps to himself and stays away from the troublemakers.

I see you just joined today. Welcome to PTO.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:42 PM

my friend has put in for a transfer from raiford ove to okaloosa ci we have been worried because he has been at raiford for 8 months without any problems but wants to get closer to home we are looking for anything we can about okaloosa. thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Okaloosa C.I. is a very boring camp. Most people are sent there to complete Modality (DOC drug program). There are basically 2 jobs there if your not in Modality, The dreaded kitchen and houseman. There really is nothing else there to do. Canteen is pretty easy to get to, the rec yard is a dust bowl, but overall the officers are better than most camps I went too. My mother was always treated with respect in the VP. Classification was easily accessible, to her at least. Medical is ATROCIOUS at this particular camp. Its bad in all of DOC but its really bad there. The best place to be at Joke-a-loosa is the work camp. There you'll be allowed to go outside into the world and work under the supervision of officers. Its a step closer to work release which is the ideal goal for an inmate. My time went OK at this camp. At the main unit it is VERY boring! Nothing to do there. The tv room is loud and annoying. Counts clear pretty timely most of the time. News channels will come out of Pensacola as well as Panama City. The phones are OK. Its a small camp which has its perks. Any other question's I'll be glad to answer.