Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 PM

Default If I abscond will they look for me in Mexico

My friend is an American citizen who was living in Mexico for several years. He was arrested in san Diego with almost 300 lbs of pot and convicted of possession for sales and sentenced to 18 months and 3yrs parole.
Well he did his time and has been on parole for about 8 months now but his wife and kid desperately need him back in Mexico to run the legitimate family business. His wife has tried to hold things together while he has been gone but she has reached her breaking point and is thinking about selling everything which would leave my friend with nothing to look forward to and being in his mid 40’s he does not think he can start over again so he is thinking of absoncding.

My question is. If he does leave the country with no intension of coming back for the foreseeable future, will the authorities come looking for him in Mexico or will they just wait until he gets picked up in the US. The courts and his PO pretty much now what town he will in Mexico.
Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

Hrd to say if the US would be willing to waste all the money to get him back here. Why doesn;t he just go to his p.o. and explain everyhing and give up his rights in the US since it seems like he does not want to come back here.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:13 PM

He has tried to talk to his PO and his sister has made numerous calls to people in the parole dept and they all say no way you can live in Mexico. He was hoping for a discharge after one year on parole but after talking to several people in parole they have said with the amount of pot and it being Mexico where he wants to go to that there is zero chance of being discharged after only one year. He is a legal resident of Mexico and is 2 years away from becoming a Mexican citizen.
I hear the warrant for absconding is called a PAL warrant, its not actually a fugitive warrant per say so does that mean its not as critical as far is them coming after you
Old 10-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

They might not go after him, but if he ever gets arrested in Mexico he could be extradited here to serve out his sentence.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Banned

Or worse case scenario is if he comes back to US and gets acaught he will go back to state. I believe its automatically a year with 50% to serve.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Been there, done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud.lee
My friend is an American citizen who was living in Mexico for several years. He was arrested in san Diego with almost 300 lbs of pot and convicted of possession for sales and sentenced to 18 months and 3yrs parole.

Amazing that the sentence was so lenient.

Quote:
If he does leave the country with no intension of coming back for the foreseeable future
Is he never coming back, or eventually coming back??

I doubt that they will intentionally "look" for him, but if they do know his location they might send someone. If not, the very second he gets stopped or picked up for something, he's looking at some serious time.

He's got a relatively short time to go before he's off probation - I would advise him that it's not worth the risk. If his wife and his family need him now, imagine what it will be like for them when he's re-arrested and no chance of getting out any time soon because he took off.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Morrigan68; 10-18-2006 at 10:00 PM..
Old 10-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

Oh sorry, also your in texas so i am not sure what your laws are for abscounding.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:23 PM

Iam I on the Texas board? I thought I was on the Cali board.
He has got a lot of wealth to lose in Mexico. Its close to $400,000 in property and business so it’s a tough decision. His PO won’t even let him go down to Mexico to try and recoup some of his wealth.
Thanks again for your response. He is hoping that maybe there is a slim chance that in 5 to 10 years that maybe he can get all this resolved with out any serious state time. Who now’s the laws could change by then. Its kind of messed up the way parole is supposed to help you rehabilitate back into society but in this case its causing extreme hardship.

Last edited by bud.lee; 10-18-2006 at 10:24 PM..
Old 10-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned

You probably are on the TExas board but your question came up and people are answering it.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:48 AM

Iss his wife trying to get him locked back up again? With that many investmenst surely she can hold it together another 18? months! What will she do if he does what she wants, gets caught and ends up inside longer?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Patients have depleted

Quote:
He has got a lot of wealth to lose in Mexico. Its close to $400,000 in property and business so it’s a tough decision. Its kind of messed up the way parole is supposed to help you rehabilitate back into society but in this case its causing extreme hardship.
There is probably several reasons why they won't let him go back to Mexico for parole. Like this one - he was busted with over 300 pounds of pot? Well if there is a lagitimate business with this kind of wealth, why in the H*LL was he transporting 300 pounds of pot. So how much of the wealth is really lagitimate and how much is a coverup. If there is this kind of wealth she should be able to sell just a minimal amount and servive until he gets home. I have survived over a year with my hubby gone on an income of $600 a month if I was lucky.

So many people are just starting out at 40, starting over would not be that tough, especially if she did sell all and invest wisely so there is a bunch of money to start over with.

Why would he or his wife want to take that type of a chance and end up having him looked up for a long time?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:17 PM

No telling! They may tell you they won't extradite, and then one day you hear that unmistakable law enforcement knock on the door.... The most recent "celebrity" example was the arrest of that bounty hunter that caught the Max Factor heir in Mexico. They issued an absconder warrant when he failed to appear in Court for a MISDEMEANOR and just before the warrant would have expired, they swooped in and got him. I'd hate to see your friend throw everything away for another 18 months!!!! I agree with the others - use the property/business as collateral and hang on just a little longer...
Old 10-20-2006, 07:42 PM
ex-cop/ex-con

The problem with leaving is that you will always be looking over your shoulder. It isn't a great way to live, especially if they know your address. In the past few years, there has been much greater cooperation between US and Mexico law enforcement, especially when it comes to fugitives, and chances are, based upon the fact his PO knows his family is in Mexico, they will place a fugitive warrant on him. That will wreck any chances of ever getting Mexican citizenship. It's a tough decision to make. Good luck
Old 10-23-2006, 01:47 AM
my scotchy!

I would be concerened that the two years he has left to wait ,will end up with them denying him Mexican Citizenship due to his fugative status and Mexico would then be deporting him back to the US and upon his return he would have to go to jail. I know it is hard to believe but Americans do get deported from Mexico and it happens regularly!!!

Tekela
Old 10-23-2006, 02:15 AM
FREE TO BE ME

Can't he hire an attorney to handle his business in Mexico and serve the rest of his time and be off paper. I wouldn't risk it.

Lenin