Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Indiana Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Indiana prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Is glad she stuck it out.

Default How to Send Books to Inmates?

My Joe's birthday is coming up on Nov. 6th and I want to send him some books but I don't know how. I heard people say that you have to have the publisher send inmates books directly, and I've also heard that stores can send them directly. Which is true or are they both true? Any help with this would be awesome

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Satisfied

Well, what state is he in? Each state has their own rules...

Jenn
Old 10-14-2006, 08:36 PM

I Was Told To Try Amazon And Borders And I Ask Borders And They Said That They Do Send Them It All Dippends The Prison Good Luck
Old 10-14-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Sending books to inmates

Hi

I have books sent to my son ALL the time. I usually buy the books through Amazon.com. They are wonderful with including the receipt in with the package. I always send a separate message noting that the package will be shipped to a prison and they must include the sales receipt. You have to be careful that you are not purchasing a used book though. Amazon and other online stores offer used books at a substantially lower price, but sometimes the books are marked on, or they show signs of being used. These will not be accepted at most prisons. You can almost always find great deals without having to purchase used books. Amazon offers free shipping if you meet the required amount of purchase. There is such a huge variety on Amazon.com. Just make sure that you don't check the gift option. When a book is sent as a gift, Amazon purposely does not send the receipt with the book.

I have purchased books at book stores and asked them to ship the books directly to my son. That usually works, but you are taking a chance because the books are passed through several different pairs of hands before they are actually shipped. Sometimes the message to include the sales receipt gets lost before the books are shipped out. When this happens, the books must be returned at the inmate's expense.

I hope this helps.

God Bless and have a wonderful day

Last edited by mommyelf; 10-14-2006 at 09:07 PM..
Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,104 Times in 548 Posts

Amazon seems to be pretty good for this (and you get free shipping with any order over $25), but it does depend on the state and the rules at the particular institution. In some states, inmates can only receive paperbacks. In others, they must be shipped via U.S. Mail (Amazon often uses UPS).

Have Joe ask around. I'm sure he can find out something for you.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 10-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Donation Award 

My husband is in Cali and I always use Amazon...you might want to check with the prison he is in to see what they allow

***My Husband is home and I am loving almost every second of it!!!***
Old 10-15-2006, 09:25 PM

It costs a little more to have Amazon or Barnes and Noble send the book, but he gets it as soon as the facility receives it. If I send a book then it has to go through media review which can take up to six weeks in New York.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Is glad she stuck it out.

Well, he's at Plainfield in Indiana. I know his gramma sends him books all the time so I know he's allowed to get them, but I hope that amazon is allowed there. It probably is, but I just wanna be sure Thanks for the info!!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:16 PM

I sent my son magazines through Borders there okay, but they take there time shipping them out, about 3-5 days before they mail them to the prisons.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:50 PM

I sent a book to my hun from amazon.com. You just have to order it online or from the store and have them send it.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
I LOVE MY HUSBAND

Default Sending Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeony
My Joe's birthday is coming up on Nov. 6th and I want to send him some books but I don't know how. I heard people say that you have to have the publisher send inmates books directly, and I've also heard that stores can send them directly. Which is true or are they both true? Any help with this would be awesome

you go to the book store and pick them out and they send them into the prison or you can order books off amazon.com and they send books to prison as well. if they are going to prisons they book stores will not let you take the books out of the stores borders send them books thru ups!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 PM
moving forward...

Thanked 1,815 Times in 911 Posts

I purchased a Barnes and Nobles gift card and ordered book online and had them shipped to him that way, very convenient. You can purchase the gift cards at CVS or Walgreen's. You can also find some books used the same way and save a ton of money. The shipping is reasonable and they usually ship within 24 hrs
Old 05-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Can I send used books from a bookstore to an inmate in Roxbury prison or can I only send new books?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Waiting for Him ツ

This probably wont be much help to the person asking the question but if anyone is in Elkhart you can go to the Bookworm on Bowers St here in Elkhart and buy books to send. Books are 1/2 off the publishers price and shipping is a flat rate of $10 for up to 5 books. Also if you have books laying around you can take them in and she will give you credit toward your purchase. I've done this twice and the books have been shipped out the same day I bought them and he received them within 2 days.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:35 PM

I'm wanting to send a book, the problem im having is amazon says they cant guarntee that USPS will be how the package is delivered, it may be ups, fed-ex, usps, etc. I dont want to buy a book, only to have it "possibly" refused by the prison, Any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:51 PM
The Janitor Of God

Have you checked with the prison to see which carriers they will accept? Every state and every facility is different. Some will accept several carriers, others only UPS, only USPS....its best to check.

Books sent by Amazon via "economy" (or free) shipping seem to go via UPS--at least I have gotten books in Minnesota that way and also had them shipped to a prison in Texas without any problem. The Dallas County Jail, meanwhile, will only accept packages shipped via USPS.

If there is a problem, you may be able to choose a shipper by using one of Amazon's "expedited" services.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdoolittle4 View Post
I'm wanting to send a book, the problem im having is amazon says they cant guarntee that USPS will be how the package is delivered, it may be ups, fed-ex, usps, etc. I dont want to buy a book, only to have it "possibly" refused by the prison, Any suggestions?
If you are sending to an Indiana prison you need to ship it from someplace like Amazon, etc so that they are a recognizable vendor. You have to be careful that it states ships from Amazon (as opposed to Mass Marketing). I just used their standard delivery which I believe was USPS. Never had a problem. If you send hard back books they can have them if they agree to tear off the bindings. I will reiterate the vendor. I sent a used book once that I found through Amazon. They could not verify the sender as they are like ebay vendors and can be private individuals. Those will get rejected.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
The Janitor Of God

I once tried to send some used books to Texas, from a "recognize bookseller" no less. They never reached the recipient and were not returned.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 AM

how do I contact the prison to find out what they accept?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 AM

If you are looking to contact a prison in Indiana go to the Indiana DOC website. They have a list of prisons and a contact phone number for each of them. When you call the number listed ask for the mail room. Keep in mind that the mail room is made up by different people in each and can be subjective. By that, if you are shipping books or magazines some of them will not allow material that is deemed sexually explicit. That includes novels. I have shipped books many times through Amazon. Only had 2 issues. One was a used book that was shipped through Mass Marketing. It was viewed by the prison as coming from a private individual and was not allowed to go through. My son had the option of paying to return it or letting them destroy it. Since he didn't have the funds at the time he had to let them destroy it. The 2nd problem was shipping a hard back. He was allowed to have it, but had to let them tear the covers off.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM
The Janitor Of God

In general: look for the prison system website for the state in question--the information SHOULD be there, though it may not be easy to find. If that is unavailable, either write or call the Warden's office at the prison. You should be referred to the appropriate person. If the Warden's office refuses to help you or transfer your call, try the Chaplain's office--they are USUALLY much better at dealing with the public.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK