Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:34 PM

Question Family Assistance for inmate's families?

I'm looking for any kind of resources that can help inmates families with financial assistance
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Finally Free!

I know of a few and it really is minimal, depending on the circumstances. There aren't any that help on an ongoing basis. One of the best places to start your search is Family & Corrections Network (www.fcnetwork.org).

Since you're in Tennessee, you might be able to dial 2-1-1 and ask for help. 2-1-1 is an information and referral system; they don't provide direct assistance, but they can tell you where to start. Not all of Tennessee has access to 2-1-1, though. You can see if your county is covered at http://www.211tn.org/tennessee.html.

I also recommend www.modestneeds.org. This organization helps with those unusual needs that no one else assists with. They don't like to help with regular ongoing needs - and you need to be able to demonstrate your loss of income, etc. I only discovered this organization about 2 weeks ago - it was featured on the Ellen Degeneres show, so it is gaining some notoriety. Also, they are usually able to help with needs up to about $350 (although higher amounts are sometimes approved). They are serious when they say MODEST.

If you still need help with places to start out, pm me. I'll see what I might be able to dig up. I do this type of work for a living, so I might be able to help.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:41 PM
too much time on my hands

This issue is a pet of mine, and if I had the means, I'd fund a foundation that specifically sends money to families of incarcerated people. I would target first time, non-violent, long-term federal offender's familes first.

Like, in most cases what got him in there didn't exactly make you well-off to begin with, so now you and your children face life without his income (no matter how paltry or intermittent it might have been, it was something!)

Then you get to get raped for phone calls and commissarry money, and even once he gets home he's a FELON so your options are so limited.

We suffer the time, we suffer financially during the time, but the punishment for felons truly never ends.

But they can't vote so nothing is ever going to change. So sad.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:51 PM

In some states (Texas) we can vote once we are off supervision, but still, nothing seems to change.

Source: Bureau of Justice Statistics

Old 10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,087 Posts

deeadt: Have you talked to the Welfare Office in your state? I don't think they are going to care why you have financial trouble, but that you fit into their rules and regs. for assistance.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Finally Free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceRooni
This issue is a pet of mine, and if I had the means, I'd fund a foundation that specifically sends money to families of incarcerated people. I would target first time, non-violent, long-term federal offender's familes first.
I am actually considering doing this. It has been in my heart for some time now to help prison families in a meaningful way that impacts where they live today. A social worker in Connecticut who runs an organization that mentors children of prison families told me once, "A prison sentence is a ticket to poverty...."

I don't yet have the means to do it, but I believe this is an area that God wants me to help. When He plants something in your heart, He will provide the means to make it happen.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:20 PM

actually, my daughter-in-law has applied to the welfare system for help and they say the only program they have is called families first in which she is eligible to receive $210 per month as child support and they will sue my son for it on his release as if they won't have a hard enough time when he gets out. Because she lost her job after 9 months of court, pre-release probation meetings and getting him back and forth to drug tests she is not eligible for subsidized housing, you have to have been on the job for 1 year.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Finally Free!

Families First in your state is probably funds from the federal government titled Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)...that's the reason they can sue him for it when he is released. If she qualifies for Children's Medicaid, they'll also tack on the amount of medical care she uses while he's in prison & not providing insurance of his own...yes, it's a horrible thing to come back to when he's getting out & trying to get back on his feet.

I'm sorry she's going through this...the systems out there aren't designed to help prison families in meaningful ways because there are too many restrictions attached in terms of penalties for ex-offenders. All the more reason that we need to work to develop programs that provide real change for prison families & ex-offenders.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,888 Times in 4,368 Posts

JoyceRooni: I would hope that anyone who begins a program to assist prisoners' families would not distinguish between the families of non-violent offenders or the families of violent offenders. The type of offense committed is not usually the family's fault - and especially not the childrens' fault - so assistance should be offered to any family who is truly in need. You have good intentions and I would urge anyone who wants to put some effort into creating programs to help prisoners' families to "go for it." The place to start would be to find out what already exists in your area and build from there. Network with other social service agencies so you aren't "re-inventing the wheel" and you'll also meet some very supportive folks who can be helpful. Z.

Last edited by Zelda50; 10-22-2006 at 11:55 AM..
Old 11-03-2006, 07:02 AM

I would be willing to do whatever it takes to start a program to help the families of current and ex offenders violent or non violent. Because your right - it's not the childrens fault but they seem to be the ones who suffer the most from a parents incarceration. Anything I can do please pm me.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Finally Free!

I'm still in the information gathering stages - just as Zelda suggested - about programs that are already available, their services, the area of coverage, etc.

The type of program I have in mind would help with financial needs for a period of time...I haven't sorted out all the details yet, but I do believe that this is the type of work that God is calling me to do. As I get more research, details, etc. I'll be sure to let anyone know who is interested.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:32 AM
tkeefoverstrugglingmom

I have searched the net multiple times for different programs. I found none. I was trying to see if I can refinance my house to lower the payment to fit my income. I guess I'll just pray and hope i can continue making it. This is all the big punishment. If the family suffers, it makes the "convict suffer more". they will have to sit in prison and see what damage they've caused. Forget the fact that innocent children are suffering from it. This is why children of the convicted sometimes wind up being imprisoned themselves later. It would be nice to have a program developed to help families in these situations. I wouldn't have it for non violent only though, as stated above, families suffer. The children are innocent no matter what. It would be all about them and their well-being and happiness to have a roof over their head and food and clothes on their back.