Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The Drug War
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Drug War A war against drugs, or against families?

View Poll Results: Do you think the that first-time felon drug charges should be thrown in prison?
Yes 51 7.25%
No 652 92.75%
Voters: 703. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2006, 02:58 AM
Mommy of 2 little ones :)

Default Discussion about first-time drug charges going to prison

I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HopeFaithNLove For This Useful Post:
1lovek&d (01-27-2013), BiteMeArizona (10-28-2012), Jaybird420 (08-30-2013), mpotmom (08-13-2011), Tyler's Momma (08-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2006, 03:29 AM

Default I am a causality of the DRUG WAR

I sold 2 oz of POT in pennsylvaina and was given 18-60 months in a max state prison.... 2 oz = $300 worth of pot ....1st offence ever in my life ...so do i thing there needs to be a change the answer is hells YES...
but where do we start ?????
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to xinmate For This Useful Post:
BadGrlGoneGood (01-11-2012), BiteMeArizona (10-28-2012), dmg03 (07-19-2012), hisnysoulmate (03-13-2011), Jeanie88 (01-02-2013), kittey.C. (04-05-2013), MissinMyKoKo612 (07-03-2014), seekinginfo (08-12-2010), slivesay (10-24-2013), Tyler's Momma (05-28-2012)
Old 10-02-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Not sure

Hopefully someone else will come along that can tell us where to start!

Old 10-03-2006, 12:20 AM
No more locked doors

Do you think a first time offender that gets caught with crack in a school zone should be given probation?
The Following User Says Thank You to stlcru For This Useful Post:
hisnysoulmate (03-13-2011)
Old 10-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,209 Posts

I said yes on the poll, but then I realized "prison". So my "yes" vote is for jail, not prison.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:00 AM

Default School Zone and drugs

I think the whole school zone thing is ridiculous anyway. If someone is soliciting drugs to children then yes, they should get a harsher punishment. And I am not saying that I believe in drugs in any way; however, the school zone thing is STUPID. Just because someone is in a school zone does not mean that they are dealing drugs to kids. The school zones are so large that in some counties pretty much the whole city is a school zone.

You also have people that get caught with drugs in THEIR OWN HOUSE that aren't even selling these drugs, be it marijuana or whatever that live across the street from a school or down the street from a school.

I don't think that first-time offenders should go to prison. Not at all. The government should be getting HELP for these people. Not locking them up in prison away from their families. The only people that actually are being punished by this is the offender's families. I think that if you commit a NONAGGRIVATED or VIOLENT crime, such as dealing drugs or doing drugs that instead of throwing you in prison for a HUGE amount of time that you should be given probation. Give the person a chance to realize on their own that what they have done is wrong. Give the person the chance to see how much trouble they could have actually gotten into. Tell them that this time you are given probation, next time you are given 10 years in prison, and I bet you 80% of the people do not get involved in this kind of trouble again. And that is 80% less space taken up in the prisons by drug offenders. And that is 80% more people that can support their families. That is 80% less families on welfare. The prisons are overcrowded as it is. The government is spending God knows how much money on feeding and housing these prisoners, when they could be given a chance to do right, but instead are being thrown in prison, taken away from their families, and leaving a HUGE mess of bills for women and children. It's just not right.

That's my opinion on it. But of course, the beauty of America is that we have freedom of speech.

If you don't like it, I'm sorry! But that's how I feel.

Last edited by HopeFaithNLove; 10-03-2006 at 05:04 AM..
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to HopeFaithNLove For This Useful Post:
Allama (09-29-2010), asmom (07-17-2014), BadGrlGoneGood (01-11-2012), cj4u (10-01-2010), dmg03 (07-19-2012), DocStein (04-25-2010), guetazul (08-08-2014), HarleySweetie (11-11-2012), HisLily (05-15-2012), Leahblue22 (04-28-2013), MissinMyKoKo612 (07-03-2014), MISSKAIN (02-21-2012), missy10 (12-12-2010), MrsBaeza (04-03-2014), RainyRae (08-16-2010), sirhada (02-07-2011), TSua (11-20-2009), Uekiya (05-15-2012)
Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Home soon !!!!

I agree, my husband has a clean record, not even a traffic ticket. He was set up dropping off 2 oz of cocaine and was sentenced to 3 years mand. but luckly he only has to serve 85% of his time so he should be home in 2008. I think they should do probation or house arrest or maybe a few months in county jail and then probation but for first time offenders to send them off to state prison for 2 or more years is crazy. I looked all over the place to see if I could get it reduced but wasn't very successful. Florida prision sucks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsjamor For This Useful Post:
missingmybaby1 (07-11-2008), Second_chance55 (11-20-2009), ZainyJoe (10-09-2011)
Old 10-03-2006, 10:59 PM

Default Correction To Above Post

For some reason it wont let me edit it???? Anyway, it's supposed to be NONVIOLENT not VIOLENT!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Account Closed

The thing is, when we are talking about first-time drug offenses, that includes alot of things. There is a big difference between selling pot or selling crack, posession vs. operating a meth lab, etc. They all should not be punished the same, IMHO.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Chucks Angel

I was just given a plea yesterday to my first time drug offense, 15 years on a class x, which means I have to serve 7 years. I was asking for 15 on a class 1, but no luck. I too think that is much, but I have no control now. I have 3 kids, 14, 7, and 2. They are the ones who are going to pay. I wish I knew of a way to get this lowered, afterall it is my first offense.

The Following User Says Thank You to christina marie For This Useful Post:
Second_chance55 (11-20-2009)
Old 10-04-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Ok, looks like I should have said first-time possession or selling drugs....

Manufacturing is much different. I actually have a friend that has a friend that was caught manufacturing meth in Brownwood, Tx. Funny thing is he got probation... the system is so messed up. It's all about money. If you or your family have money you can get out of just about any mess you find yourself in.

Another situation, someone who was charged with the same as my husband, only 10x more of the drug... they came from a wealthy family. So their parents paid $10,000 up front in fines and they got 10 years probation and didn't even have to serve the full 10. I'm pretty sure it was 10, if not it was 5. And my husband wasted $5000 on a lawyer and got 10 years in prison... that doesn't add up. It's wrong and it is inhumane. Period!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HopeFaithNLove For This Useful Post:
catwoman1314 (07-30-2009), Tyler's Momma (05-28-2012), Uekiya (05-15-2012)
Old 10-05-2006, 04:52 AM
No more locked doors

I dont agree. I was sentenced to prison my first offense, and if i wasnt I prob wouldnt have learned a lesson from probation. I think people that sell drugs know exactly what they are getting themselves into when they do the crime. Now I can understand someone that gets caught with a pound of marijuana, but what about 8 ounces of crack, i dont think that is for personal use. Maybe not prison but some jail time for sure. And thats my opinion, even after I was sentenced on a first time offense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlcru For This Useful Post:
Second_chance55 (11-20-2009), seekinginfo (12-25-2009)
Old 10-05-2006, 04:59 AM
No more locked doors

And a petition for first time drug offenders to recieve probation? Thats a waste of paper and ink, they would never pass that law no matter how many signed it. You want a petition that is a pass to sell drugs until you get caught once, almost everybody would deal drugs until they got caught.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:00 AM
No more locked doors

That just doesnt make sense.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:33 AM

Default It is not a violent crime

People need rehabilitation. But, I'm sure it would never pass... that's not really my point though. Even by getting a law passed it doesn't help my family any. I just think the laws are way to harsh.

Violent people need to be taken away from society to be rehabilitated. Nonviolent people are able to rehabilitate on the outside. They are not a threat to society.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HopeFaithNLove For This Useful Post:
HarleySweetie (11-11-2012), Second_chance55 (11-20-2009)
Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 AM
No more locked doors

I agree with people need rehabilitation, and that some people that are first time offenders can change their ways. I just dont agree with automatic probation for a first time offense. And I think that the sentences are to harsh also.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:45 AM
No more locked doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove
Violent people need to be taken away from society to be rehabilitated. Nonviolent people are able to rehabilitate on the outside. They are not a threat to society.
Not all non-violent people can be rehabilitated outside of prison. And I think that people that sell drugs qualify as a "threat to society", maybe not for physical violence, but the drugs that they sell do cause harm.Just my opinion.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:45 AM

Default Ok

Maybe I am being stubborn headed. I tend to be stubborn quite often. I honestly can't speak for every situation. But I think that the legal system is totally screwed up. It just makes me sick that in order for someone to get to avoid prison is by having money. It's BS. My husband has been one of the best dads. I didn't have my dad growing up. And I was so thankful that my kids weren't gonna have to go through the same as me. But now they will. They are 3 and 1 and I am going to have to look them in their eyes everyday and tell them that Daddy won't be home for a long time... mommy doesn't know when he gets to come home.... they are so young they can't understand that shit. It's gonna be hard enough on me while he's gone, and having to see my children hurt and miss their daddy is gonna make it even harder.

I do know that everything happens for a reason. This whole thing is just really hard to accept.

My husband is a good man. We are all human and we make mistakes and I don't think it's fair that his cost our whole family so much. It's just inconcievable. Who would have ever thought we'd be where we are today. Any person that knows my husband will tell you he is a good man. He has given the last dime in his pocket to his family, mother, dad, sisters... even his close friends. He would do anything to help anyone and it just eats me up that this is happening.

He on the other hand, is handling this thing so great. He is very positive and says that something good will come from it. He said that we can both be damn sure our kids won't ever be in this situation because they will know about what happened with him. They will be aware of what happens when you do things you shouldn't. They will learn from his mistake and won't have to make the same mistake that he did. He is a damn good father. And we are going to do everything so that the kids can bond with him. It's gonna be tough because I'm gonna be broke as you know what. Hopefully he'll get sent somewhere close.

Anyway,
I gotta get going....

Last edited by HopeFaithNLove; 10-05-2006 at 05:48 AM..
JsWifey09 (04-26-2012), MrsBaeza (04-03-2014)
Old 10-05-2006, 05:53 AM
No more locked doors

Yeah I agree with what your saying. Some really good people get sent to prison, that dont belong there, and thats very upsetting. It seems like the judges just dont care, and thats because most of them dont. Another file, another number, just lock him/her up. Its a horrible thing. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you and your family. I will keep your family in my prayers.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Oh yeah.... one more thing

Some people are gonna think to themselves blah blah blah... that's your husband and of course you are gonna say he doesn't deserve it. But honestly, because of all the stress waiting for court, after it being put off over and over and over again.... we had not been getting along very well. This kind of thing is very stressful... the wondering and the what if's are the worst.

Even if I hated him or we weren't even together and just had kids, I wouldn't think he deserves it. He's a good guy and an amazing dad.

We need to find a kick ass lawyer that wants to help good, honest people who find themselves in a mess that would stand up for them whether they have money or not.

I hate money. Money is EVIL. But, the world wouldn't go round if we didn't have it. If everyone had tons of money, who would be standing behind the counter and convenience stores???

catwoman1314 (07-30-2009), sumchick (06-06-2014)
Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcru
I dont agree. I was sentenced to prison my first offense, and if i wasnt I prob wouldnt have learned a lesson from probation. I think people that sell drugs know exactly what they are getting themselves into when they do the crime. Now I can understand someone that gets caught with a pound of marijuana, but what about 8 ounces of crack, i dont think that is for personal use. Maybe not prison but some jail time for sure. And thats my opinion, even after I was sentenced on a first time offense.

I don't want to insult anybody here or their family members. But I was kind of thinking the same thing.

There is a difference between the types of dealers and drugs that there are. But the business of selling drugs is a violent one. There is a reason why drug dealers carry guns. Just because a person may not have been convicted of a violent crime, doesn't mean that the person isn't violent. It's an incredibily violent business.

Aside from that, I have a problem with no jail time for any felony, only because I have never seen anybody take plain probation seriously, for anything, I'm not just talking about drug offenders. Even if it's 30 days in jail, I think it is a good thing, if a person has never been in jail before, that might have a better effect on them than just probation.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:53 PM

If you think the politicians are vaguely interested in reforming drug sentencing, just look at the long at sad history of HR 3072, currently pending before Congress, which would re-institute federal parole for most first-time drug offenders. It has languished for years, and the Republ. head of the House Judic. Committee will not even let it come to a floor vote. November Coalition, amonst others, has circulated petitions in support, but it all falls on deaf ears. So the moral is, if you need money, rob them, but dont DARE sell them drugs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertegarrett For This Useful Post:
BadGrlGoneGood (01-11-2012), Jeanie88 (01-02-2013)
Old 10-23-2006, 07:04 AM

Default RE: petition for first time drug charges

I AGREE WITH YOU. I have never been in trouble until last Dec. There was 4 of us that went to Georgia, we caught with 8 packs of cold pills. (they were still in packs) I only bought one pack. I went to court Oct 21 and they want to give me 10 yrs split 2. Sience this I changed my whole life around. I have worked and even started to college. I had to drop out of college. But on first time offenders I think these people sould have a second chance.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjamor
I agree, my husband has a clean record, not even a traffic ticket. He was set up dropping off 2 oz of cocaine and was sentenced to 3 years mand. but luckly he only has to serve 85% of his time so he should be home in 2008. I think they should do probation or house arrest or maybe a few months in county jail and then probation but for first time offenders to send them off to state prison for 2 or more years is crazy. I looked all over the place to see if I could get it reduced but wasn't very successful. Florida prision sucks!
I agree, first timers should get a break. Get probation, community service and some kind of drug treatment. Now, the question arises, What happens if all the above doesn't change anything and he gets caught again with drugs? I would think if the government gives that kind of chance the first time around they would throw the book at the second time around.

--
Old 10-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Account Closed

Jimbo for president! lol.

I can vote for first time probation, if the second time is a guaranteed prison term.