Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Texas prison & criminal justice system.

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 09:18 PM

Default TrulyKath, you'll love this...

Ex-prosecutor cleared of drunken driving

By Ihosvani Rodriguez
San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 08/14/2003 12:00 AM

Charges against a former prosecutor arrested earlier this year on suspicion of drunken driving were dismissed Wednesday after a judge ruled the arresting officer did not have sufficient reason to make a traffic stop.
Dan Vela, 31, was cleared of DWI charges after his lawyers spent most of the afternoon questioning the arresting officer's actions and credibility.

Vela resigned as a white-collar crime prosecutor with the Bexar County district attorney's office shortly after his June 5 arrest.

San Antonio Police Officer Fidel Acosta testified Wednesday that he pulled Vela over after watching his pickup swerve across traffic lanes as it traveled south on U.S. 281.

In his report, Acosta noted that Vela had bloodshot eyes, smelled of intoxicants and failed three of four roadside sobriety tests.

The traffic stop and the subsequent roadside tests were not videotaped. However, about 40 minutes after the arrest, police did videotape Vela performing a new set of sobriety tests at a downtown detention center.

Those tests, given in a small room after Vela refused to take a breath exam, showed little evidence of intoxication.

Defense attorney Ernest Acevedo marveled at how sober his client was in the video and questioned whether Acosta lied about how Vela performed in the roadside tests after learning he was a prosecutor.

Acevedo hinted that Acosta had an ax to grind with prosecutors because he was related to Israel Castro, a former San Antonio police officer tried for DWI but found not guilty.

Under intensive cross-examination, Acosta acknowledged that the stretch of road where Vela was traveling had many curves, noted that Vela was not speeding and that no other cars were in danger.

Acosta also said he couldn't clearly remember how far Vela swerved over the lanes.

County Court-at-Law Judge Phil Meyer ruled that the officer didn't have probable cause to make the traffic stop and based his ruling mostly on Acosta's concessions.

After Meyer's ruling, attorney Angus McGinty, who was appointed as a "special prosecutor," said he would not appeal the judge's decision and moved to dismiss the case.

Vela told reporters after that meeting, "This was all hard for me and my family."

"I had to resign from the job I loved. Right now, I just want to put this behind me."
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2003, 09:35 AM

:lopping down, kicking the COW CRAP off my boots::

DADGUMMIT ALL.........I read the article and it sounded like Skip's arrest to a "T"!!! He never even lost his license at the DMV hearing....houston police "did not exhibit probable cause for pulling him over." There was video from the station (nothing from roadside), and though we KNEW what we did, a jury would not have.

I often wonder what would have happened if we'd gone to trial....the DA had us terrified with his past....(from 10 years ago), so we took the plea. I can 2nd guess what we did to death, then you hear about stuff like this......

SOMETHING IS INHERENTLY WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!!!!!
Old 08-16-2003, 08:00 PM

Kath,
Don't second guess. We, Allie and I took the trial and LOST.
The trial was a big Joke!!!

Janice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 08-16-2003, 11:19 PM

Face fact: If you're rich, famous, or connected in some way, you're always going to get off. If you're not, you're going to jail. A lot of police officers do their jobs well (a few are just Barney Fifes with loaded guns, like the jackass who shot a dog to death here in TN during a traffic stop), but it really is after it leaves the arresting officer's hands that the justice system goes to hell. Have any of you seen the Court TV video of the 12-year old boy who was in"terror"gated by homicide detectives into believing he killed his sister? His parents didn't even know he was in police custody!!! But that's what they would rather do than be out looking for the real perp. Ah, I'd better knock this off. I'm getting bent out of shape.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:10 PM

I want to apologize to everybody for cussing in my previous post. I know I shouldn't be doing that here.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:21 PM

np tom we understand. and for the main post i used eanst brother albert acevedo for a lawyer and he sucked because the fact we werent rich all the brothers of that family are the same all they want is money money money!!!!!! ok im gona stop there i just end up wanting to cuss him out again for how bad he screwed us but oh well.
Closed Thread