Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation & Release > Texas Parole Attorney Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Parole Attorney Information Information about Texas Parole Attorneys. Please do not post defamatory, offensive or deliberately provocative information about individual attorneys. Respectfully posted opinions are welcome.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Need a parole lawyer in Texas

Hi, I am new at this, so please forgive me! My fiance is in Buster Cole and signed on 5 years. He is up for parole in Nov. and I need information on a parole lawyer. Does anyone know a good one besides Lori Redmond? Do you think that parole lawyers are worth the money? Has anyone put together an effective parole packet themselves? Any information would help. Thank you,
Ronnica
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2006, 03:31 PM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

I don't know this for sure, but I would think that's it too late for any lawyer to do anything effective if he's parole eligible in November.

I'm not recommending any of these, because I strongly believe that there is nothing that they can do that YOU and YOUR LOVED one can't do yourselves......but, I've heard good things about sisters, Lori Redmond and Tammy Peden and also of Allen Place. AGAIN, I am not recommending any attorney.

Again, I'll state that it's my personal opinion that there is nothing that a parole attorney can do that you and your loved one can't do for yourselves with a bit of effort.

We've had many members put together their own parole packets and there are several examples of packets in the Stickies in the Texas Parole Preparation Forum.

I didn't do a parole packet - I sent 2 letters to the parole board, that's it. My husband made parole the first time up with an FI-1 (immediate release) with an aggrevated charge.

I wish you lots of luck. I'm moving this to the Texas Parole Preparation Forum where you'll probably get a better response.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you for your help and thoughts on the matter. I am just very overwhelmed.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:12 PM
nightowl19632000

I just hired parole attorney Tammy Peden today. I just feel that an attorney can go through the inmates file and make sure everything is there, and make sure nothing is missed before they go before the parole board. This is something we really can't do and they can. She requires $500 down and the rest paid before the hearing. $1700 in all.
The Following User Says Thank You to nightowl1963200 For This Useful Post:
cindysueb (04-12-2010)
Old 09-15-2006, 08:10 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you for the information and reference. I appreciate all the information I can get!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:27 PM

My answer to you is not to waste your money on a Parole attorney. My son had the perfect Parole scenario with an Attorney and was recently denied for the 3rd time. He has been a model inmate, first time felony offender and had a Parole Attorney for his last 2 reviews. Didn't help at all! I too know others who mangage to make 1st Parole who are repeat offenders with cases, etc.without Attorneys. I am convinced Parole is random. It depends on what side of the bed the Board members get up on when they're voting that day. Just wanted to save you some money. There is no rhyme or reason to what parole does. I'll pray for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to salllyb For This Useful Post:
cindysueb (04-12-2010)
Old 10-01-2006, 05:09 PM

My take on parole attorneys is this : If you can afford it and you aren't putting rent or car payment money in jeopardy, then it sure as hell cannot hurt. There are TONS of threads and opinions here on the subject
Old 10-02-2006, 05:51 AM

I second Kat! We were going to hire Lori that we thought but it seemed that she didn't want to take my husbands case due to being up for parole on his time. I think that is wrong. It seems she only takes cases she wins and I think that she isn't confident to take the case on 1st time up just because she thinks he will be denied. Oh well! I put her money in my pocket!!!! I've seen others ask this all the time about which parole lawyer to hire. No lawyer is going to give you a 100% that your loved one will be released. I think the parole board looks at the inmate as in with he has support. You are going to do the same that the parole lawyer will. You will have to write support letters yourself and as long as your support your loved one I think that's all the board wants to see. You will see others say yes that they were paroled on there 1st time up with a parole lawyer but God is the one that helped them not the lawyer. There are tons of inmates waiting to get out and it's up to God which ones he wants to release. So think about it and save your money!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:37 AM

If he is up for parole in Nov. and a lawyer takes your money today, the lawyer is ripping you off. That's simply not enough time served, or enough time for an attorney to put together an effective packet. The family or an attorney could put together the BEST packet that ever has been put together, and he'd still likely be set off because of not enough time served. A good lawyer will tell you the same thing...One with less scruples will take your money and get your hopes up anyway.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Thanks for all your help! Steven and i have decided to wait until his next parole hearing to hire an attorney. God willing he will get out in Nov., but if not, then we will do whatever we need to to assist in his return home! Please pray for him, his parole date is November 7th and we believe in the power of prayer! If anyone would like to send me a note and let me know when their loved one is up for parole, I would love the opportunity to be praying for your loved one as well! God bless all of you and I wish you all the best of luck!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:42 PM
wifey for life

Alfred Leal ----------- Paul Hanpel
1211 Hyde Park ------ 1202 Hallmark ste. 201
Houston Tx. 77006 ---- San Antonio Tx. 78216
713-526-1513 --------- 210-375-7526
My husband says that these are 2 very good lawyers and the one in S.A. comes down and Al is an retired judge. Hope this helps
Old 10-06-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you very much. Paul just got back to me, but Steven and i have decided to wait until this hearing is over. His hearing is 11/07/06 and we just don't feel like that is enough time for anyone to prepare, so if he does not come home then we will hire Paul! Please, please, please be praying for us. We need all the prayer we can get.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:28 AM

has anyone heard of Mary Samaan out of Houston tx who is a parole attorney?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Donation Award 

Hi Jennifer, never heard the name but I too is in need of a good parole attorney besides Lori Redmen. My son is up for parole sometime next year and I would like to interview a few attorneys before making up my mind if I will go that route or do this on my own. The success rate is equal. doing it myself can also be just as effective as hiring an attorney.
charles davis (04-30-2008)
Old 11-24-2006, 09:24 PM

How often do they get to come up for parol? My son have been in Garza West, Raymondsville, back to Garza West and now he is in Cotulla. He has a manslaughter case with 12 yrs. This is his 1st time ever being in the system. Will he have to do 6 yrs or will he be able to get out early?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:01 PM

We used Lori Redmond because so many people on this site said she was good. Good communication with her assistant but she didn't appear before the board and didn't seem to know when they were reviewing the paperwork until the day before. They had said things looked really good for parole this past summer but he was put in Bryan, Tx for 8 more months. Didn't pay $1500.00 for that!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 04:57 AM

Poppyb, how long has your son been in? Do you know when his PRD date is?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:02 AM

Poppy its a matter of how the voting members feel on the day his file comes before them in all honesty. If he is eligible after 1/2 flat time has been served that still doesn't mean the parole board will approve his release at that time. My husband has been inside goin on 13yrs on a 20yr agg rob from when he was a kid in 94, 1st offense. He was eligible after 10flat but recieved 2yr s-off for criminal history,probation violation and agg rob charge itself. He just had his 2nd review at 12yrs flat and recieved another 2yr s-o for same reasons as the first.......yes Im frustrated! I hope only the best for you and ur son while dealing with this corruption inside tdcj.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:08 AM

Sorry for your second set-off!!! That just really sucks!!!! Too bad we can't count on the Parole system to go by their guidelines. That is why we all need to let our voices be heard!!
Old 11-25-2006, 09:16 AM
He is home now

Jennifer, I am sorry to hear about that second set off. I am hoping that the Sunset review will bring about some positive changes for your husband and the many others that have been literally screwed by the system. I was there in Austin for the hearing and I can tell you that CHANGE IS on the way. My personal belief is that they dont look at the file or the person they are reviewing. They look at the charge. At the hearing, I found out that ALL the files are all kept in the same place. Apparently it is not a large storage facility because the issue was raised that it is no wonder that more paperwork does not get lost. This makes me think that those parole packets are seldom looked at. I also do not have faith in parole attorneys because I was screwed by Parole and Probation services and After that Alex Tandy. Even tho I hired ALex Tandy I still did all the leg work on my own because I lost trust in parole attorneys. Thank GOD I did or else I believe Sonny would not be coming home. Trust me when I say CHANGE IS ON THE WAY. I assure you that once my husband is home, he and I will continue to work to make Texas a better place in regards to the criminal justice system in Texas. I have been in contact with Washington DC about our broken system here in Texas and have given them ALL MY RESEARCH to help fix the mess created here in Texas. I recieved a letter from the Department of Justice yesterday and they have forwarded my letter on to the appropriate jurisdiction within the Department of Justice for "action". When I say letter, I am talking about a packet I sent that was over and inch thick.

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith
"innocent and DNA set them FREE

Last edited by sonnysgirl; 11-25-2006 at 09:31 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonnysgirl For This Useful Post:
asmom (12-18-2011), keith74mom (03-30-2010)
Old 11-25-2006, 09:31 AM

sonnysgirl, good for you for pursuing this horrible situation!! We need more people jumping on the bandwagon. I sincerely hope you are right that changes are coming.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Donation Award 

Jojacks, I am seriously taking your advice and those others who did their own parole packets.

Here is a story that I would like to share with you about a young woman I met in county. her husband had an agg. case and was sentenced to two years. we speak often so that I check up on her and her children. would you believe she graduated high school with my son. yes, she is young, a wife and a mother of two baby boys. I asked if she was working on a parole packet she said NO, that they have decided they would rather he finishes the two years and be set free from the state of Texas. ready for this? He had his review and was given an F1-1 he is due to be released on parole next week. what are the chances of this ever happening for most of us? I cried when she told me the news. The parole board has been to her house and now her and the babies are so excited that Daddy is on his way home. they never had to do anything to get him home. I am so excited for her and I told her that God was looking after her and her children. he will be home for Christmas!! I guess what I am trying to say is..never give up hope and the new laws do give most of hope that our loved ones get approved for their first time up on parole. for those who get set offs..hang in there and never give up. Jeannie
kfkplove (06-21-2013)
Old 11-25-2006, 09:46 AM
He is home now

If anyone is interested in some of that research you can go here on Sunset's website. It is a lot of information but.....worth the read. It is a lot of correspondence but also I put in graph form Texas compared to other states in the nation (specifically New York and Florida because their state populations are close to ours........but our prison population is WAY OFF!!) If you dont want to read all the correspondence just click thru the pages. I am sure you will freak out on the last ten pages. That is only a sample of what I have.

http://www.sunset.state.tx.us/80thre...onses/129a.pdf

That is awesome texasfem!!!!

1.Larry Fuller
2.David Pope
3.Wiley Fountain
4.Donald Good
5.Keith E. Turner
6.Entre Karage
7.Eugene Henton
8.Gregory Wallis
9.Billy Miller
10.Billy Smith
"innocent and DNA set them FREE

Last edited by sonnysgirl; 11-25-2006 at 09:51 AM..
Old 11-25-2006, 09:54 AM

That is an article worth reading!!!!!

Jeanie, what a wonderful story. So, I guess you will be getting to work on your parole packet soon!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Donation Award 

Jojacks, I already have my first letter ready for when he is going to be transfered and have contacted loved ones and officals for support letters.
I read the article and printed it out for my son. he gets discouraged but I want him to have faith. This will be his way of looking forward to coming home.