Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Colorado DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Colorado Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Trust&Obey..my fav hymn

Cindy, you are one powerful speaker! I always enjoy your posts!

And I think you're absolutely right, most people don't speak out for fear of retaliation against their loved one.

And since you mentioned the wire transfers, here's as good a place as any to post this. I e-mailed JPay to ask them if Governor Owens was part owner. I merely asked them to confirm or deny that information. Here was their response:

Dear Valued JPay User,

Thank you for your patience!

Regretfully, I cannot confirm or deny that information. Please be advised that Jpay is unsure as to the legitimacy of that information.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to respond to this email.
Emailing us is always more effective than calling in!

Thank you for contacting JPay and have a great day!

JPay Customer Support
email: support@jpay.com

My answer? They're unsure.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Trust&Obey..my fav hymn

IF Governor Owens is part owner of JPay (and I *will* find out), his butt's in some trouble.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thumbs down

Thanks Lainie!

I appreciate the kudos a lot. I had a friend at work tell me to never lose my passion, no matter what. You and I have a lot in common; we are passionate about our husbands. Yours is innocent and mine is really only guilty of making bad choices and believing he could help someone who was beyond help.

Here's the scoop on JPay, Inc.:

Foreign Profit

JPAY INC.
PRINCIPAL ADDRESS
198 BROADWAY, SUITE 500 NEW YORK NY 10038
MAILING ADDRESS
P.O. BOX 1025 NEW YORK NY 10013
Document Number F05000001456
FEI Number010756761
Date Filed03/07/2005
StateDE
StatusACTIVE
Effective DateNONE
Registered Agent
Name & Address POSNER
FALKEN, MARLENE
7471 W. OAKLAND PARK BLVD., SUITE 102
LAUDERHILL FL 33319

Officer/Director Detail
Name & Address
SHAPIRO, RYAN
9250 W. BAY HARBOR DRIVE
BAY HARBOR ISLANDS FL 33154

FELDMAN, ERROL
41 RIVER TERRACE, #501
NEW YORK NY 10282
P
Annual Reports
Report Year Filed Date

No Events
No Name History Information
Document Images
Listed below are the images available for this filing.
03/07/2005 -- Foreign Profit

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL RECORD; SEE DOCUMENTS IF QUESTION OR CONFLICT

Now the only question I have is what is "foreign" profit? I emailed the Florida Secretary of State's office with that inquiry...and also asked how to get a list of ALL principals involved in the company. I don't think Gov. Owens would be stupid enough to leave a paper trail showing that he was profiting from a company making money off the State of Colorado, and it's not illegal for him to invest in stock for the company if they even have any...BUT...it will really make the STATE and DOC look stupid if a FOREIGN company is profiting off the state taxpayers, namely us, and perhaps the money is really going overseas and funding...tada...TERRORISTS!!! One can never be sure about things like that...how's that for Homeland Security?

I'm thinking of ways too, to have some kind of public rally with any families we can get involved as well as publicizing what goes on with DOC. I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Trust&Obey..my fav hymn

I love anyone that helps bring down "da man".

That's a really good question. What IS foreign profit? I'll help you research it!
Old 09-11-2006, 06:41 AM

Default J-pay, All Electronic Funds Transfer Info

Cindy, I have my mom helping us out. She might as well be a day trader with as much as she knows about stocks, companies, etc. I'll let you know what she finds out.

Brenda, you took the words right out of my mouth! I think we all feel the same way. I posted this in another forum, but I'll post it here too: www.falseallegations2001.com/constitution_burning.html

It's about our Constitution....or our lack of the rights that are on it anyway.

Ok, I got an answer back from Florida. Here is their response:

Foreign profit means that this particular corporation is from another state and the corporation is a profit corporation.

So it doesn't mean much after all. I don't think JPay is on the stock exchange...yet. I tried looking up investments for it and nada...but that doesn't mean there aren't private investors; a lot of startups use private funds to get started.

But I do doubt Owens has anything to do with it. The rumor mill in prison is notorious. Sean was locked down on Thursday and the rumor mill ran the gamut from someone committed suicide to drug bust! And...tada...neither one...they probably had another "sting" operation for medline again...warn your loved ones if they get meds in there. The facility likes to hand out meds and then a couple of days later, toss cells looking for what they just distributed and making sure the offenders have exactly as many pills as they should...and that offenders who aren't supposed to have them, don't. If they find something out of whack...seg ad and write ups galore! (And that's prolly "classified" info)...

I have my doubts about Owens being involved also. I also don't think that they will ever get rid of electronic funds either. Atleast J-pay is less than Western Union. Cindy, if you DO find out if J-pay is publicly traded, I would like to know. I know you guys may hate me for this, but I would invest...that is how firmly I believe it is here to stay.

I had the opportunity today to talk to a customer service rep at J-Pay. I am really frustated by the fact that it's costing me $5 - $5.95 whenever I need to send money to Sean. I don't always have $100 to send even though I try to budget, sometimes things come up ($550 for brakes) and I can't send more than $50.

So, I had to call today to ask a couple of questions and while I was annoying the guy, asked why is cost so DAMN much for us to send money to DOC. He couldn't really answer the question, but he did say that people in California only pay $2.99....

Ok, so we can pretty much guess that DOC is making a profit of about $3.00 per transaction. Now, I was at a meeting a year ago when DOC met with the families concerning the EFT. They claimed they were not profiting from the EFT companies and even waived the $1 per transaction fee they were supposed to get from Western Union for the first year. Joe Ortiz and his administrative flunky had the numbers...do you know that we families deposit over $26 MILLION DOLLARS in inmate accounts EVERY YEAR???

Now divide that amount by the number of incarcerated citizens (22,000), it comes out to $1200 a year per offender. Now of course not all get that much and some get more. But figure in the cost to J-Pay vs. money order + stamp and look at how much DOC is making off of this! They claim they're saving money because a human being no longer has to process the payment...well then it should be a lot cheaper for us because that human being was probably making 25k + benefits (which are nothing for state employees). There's only one inmate banking for cripes sake. One person at each facility to do data entry, 28 facilities X salary and benefits = $1.5 million (maybe), and 2 J-Pay transactions a month per offender = $260,000+. After eliminating the salaries for the employees they no longer need to do data entry and adding in the quarter mil for the PROFIT they are making off of us families, they now have an extra $1,750,000.00 that they didn't have before. It has gone from costing me $2.76 a month to send money to Sean to $11.90.

Ok, I'm ready to talk to my legislator about this...I am so angry! The statutes only require RESTITUTION and CHILD SUPPORT be withheld from inmate deposits. They don't say a thing about FAMILIES PAYING A HIDDEN TAX TO THE STATE OF COLORADO BECAUSE THEY HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER IN PRISON, NOR DOES IT SAY OFFENDERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYING FOR THEIR OWN IMPRISONMENT!!!

IF DOC IS GOING TO SAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY, THEY CAN GO BACK TO PAYING THE OFFENDERS $300.00 A MONTH IN WAGES...THAT, KIDS IS MY TWO CENTS WORTH...

Last edited by galgrif; 09-12-2006 at 10:21 PM..
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Question

Hey Everyone!

I sent an email to the ACLU asking them to file suit against DOC for forcing us against our will to use EFT as a way to send money to our loved ones.

They want me to send a written letter with the specifics. I'd like to know how many people would be willing to sign the letter? I'm not asking DOC to get rid of the EFT entirely, just that we families should have the OPTION to send money orders instead. I got a positive response from them...so what does everyone think?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Vanquished
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,575 Times in 2,177 Posts

yall do know that jpay was started in miami florida , why do yall feel the gov is behind jpay
Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,373 Posts

Cindy, I'm behind you 150%.. just let me know what I can do to help, whether it be sign a letter or write my own!! Joy
Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanks Joy! I'm working through Saturday, visiting Sean Sunday, so I'll start on the letter on Monday. Maybe I could just do a kind of form letter and post it on here and anyone who wants to print it and fill in the spaces and mail it to the ACLU can.

For those people who never come to the site or don't know about it, we can still have them sign the letters or hand copies of them out after visitation. Let's see how many letters we can get to them. It won't help me much since Sean's a short timer, but it will certainly help a lot of people out there!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,373 Posts

Cindy.. Posting a form letter on here is a good idea. I think I'll be able to get several of Roy's family members to support us on this as well. I sent an e-mail to Mr. Diaz shortly after the EFT became mandatory but I didn't know where else to turn to get our voices heard. It is so unfair how they shoved it down our throats, "all of our convenience". Thanks again, Joy
Old 09-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Patients have depleted

Hey Cindy, You know I will sign. Although I no longer have to use it, I hated it when I did. And what about people who do not have computers or computer access. I had to talk my motherinlaw through it everytime she sent him money. I know there is still Western Union option but those fees are even worse. Is it possible to do it under one of those petition posts where everyone can just add there name to it and it all be on one form?

Then there is the issue of the manditory 20% they keep. Whole nother story but I will be posting it in a day or 2.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:48 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Cindy, that's a great idea. I will sign whether it be a letter to send or a petition. How about both? Reading all the posts from different people from all over the U.S. has shown me that we(the friends and families of incarcerated individuals) are being punished as well as the inmate. High prices on calls, fees for sending money in, and the restitution, court costs, child support, and any other amount taken out of inmates money that we work hard to send them is just one example. I'm behind you 100%. Just show me the way.
Thank you,
Brenda
I think about you each and every day, I think of you in so many different ways, I think about how things are going to be, I think of you and what you mean to me . Give love the way you want to receive love .

Old 09-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Smile

Thanks guys for the support. Tracie, unfortunately, the 20% is statutory, it's not up to DOC. But they should be deducting the correct amount and applying it accordingly. The money gets split 50/50 between child support and restitution if they have both, if not it all goes to one or the other.

Everyone should be very careful paying the restitution once your loved one is released. We gave a $25 money order to Sean's parole officer and it never made it to Inmate Banking. We found out way too late to do anything about it. If he/she owes restitution, pay it directly to Inmate Banking. Their phone# is on the sending funds to an inmate link on the home page for DOC. Get the address and send the payments directly to them. That way you're eliminating the middle man.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:00 PM

OK, now there is something that I didnt know. I would like to pay additional to my kids restitution and I had planned to take it to the court house here, what you are saying Cindy is that we can pay directly to that thru DOC? How do we get a receipt for that, how is that money tracked?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Patients have depleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansbabyluv
Thanks guys for the support. Tracie, unfortunately, the 20% is statutory, it's not up to DOC. But they should be deducting the correct amount and applying it accordingly. The money gets split 50/50 between child support and restitution if they have both, if not it all goes to one or the other.

Everyone should be very careful paying the restitution once your loved one is released. We gave a $25 money order to Sean's parole officer and it never made it to Inmate Banking. We found out way too late to do anything about it. If he/she owes restitution, pay it directly to Inmate Banking. Their phone# is on the sending funds to an inmate link on the home page for DOC. Get the address and send the payments directly to them. That way you're eliminating the middle man.
Yeah I know the 20% is a must and I really don't have an issue with that being withheld. It is the fact of where the money has gone that is an issue. I am going to leave this thread with this cuz this is about your/our petition that I am behind 150%. I am not sure yet where to post it but I am going to post my warning about it and yes do eliminate the middle man.

So cindy on with the petition and be sure to let us know where to go to sign it or if you want me to just print the letter and send it back to you or what.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Arrow

Barb,

Yes, you can pay extra on the court costs and restitution. You can send the payments directly to:

DOC RESTITUTION OFFICE
PO BOX 230
CANON CITY, CO 81215
ATTN: KRISTINA IRELAND

Make sure you include the DOC#. Like everything else, it has to be on there. What they do then is send it to Jeanne Hoffman. She is the Collections Investigator for the State of Colorado, in Denver anyway. Her email is jeanne.hoffman@judicial.state.co.us. Her phone# is 720-865-8673.

She can look it up for you and tell you exactly what the balance is and when the last payment was made. She'll need the case#. Wait until the 15th of the month or so for the payment to get to her. DOC doesn't send the previous month's payments until the 1st of the month, so you need mailing time and posting time.

Sean's previous restitution had been paid off by April and he (I) am now paying the current restitution.

Also, ask Jeanne to check and see if there is an $80.00 drug assessment included in the court costs. IF THE CASE WAS NOT DRUG-RELATED, THAT CHARGE NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OFF. It's automatically added in. (I guess they all figure you have to be doing drugs to commit a crime). Ask Jeanne to investigate it. She will take it off and send a corrected balance to DOC.

Tracie,

Write, call or email Kristina Ireland and ask her for a full accounting of the money you have sent to Ed. Don't leave it up to ComCor to tell you what they've been doing with the money...me I escalate as high as I have to go. I would also cc the San Luis Community Corrections Board.

Last edited by seansbabyluv; 09-14-2006 at 09:21 PM..
Old 09-14-2006, 09:27 PM

When were you going to tell us that you are actually a paralegal? Really Cindy, can I hire you?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Cool

Hee hee...I had someone at work suggest the same thing. I need to be an "Offender's Advocate" I think, but unfortunately most of them are destitute, their family's are broke (like me), so I wouldn't be able to support myself.

Just think how much better off a lot of these people would be if they each had someone like me to help them. That's why I do this...because they don't and it's the best I can do...the system won't allow me to do it any other way....

I've known about Jeanne and Kristina for almost a year...every time I go to the courthouse I find out even more. I'd be a great nosy reporter!

Anyway, I'm not here to judge, everyone deserves to be treated like a human being...even those who have done the worst things. I'll help anyone who asks.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:41 PM

I am really glad that you are here. I hope that you will continue to be a part of PTO, and an advocate for the less fortunate, after Sean gets out. he is very lucky to have you, and so are we.

Until this experience, I was somewhat judgemental. And, even now, with everything that we have experienced, I sometimes still have to "check myself at the door", but I have learned so much that I feel it has been worthwhile. And, while I will always feel that my son got the shaft, he has grown too.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:54 PM
Patients have depleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansbabyluv
Tracie,

Write, call or email Kristina Ireland and ask her for a full accounting of the money you have sent to Ed. Don't leave it up to ComCor to tell you what they've been doing with the money...me I escalate as high as I have to go. I would also cc the San Luis Community Corrections Board.
Oh no I wont leave it up to them. I recieved a copy of all Eds recipts today and the statement from DOC is suppose to be on its way. And another statement from child support for the past year. I will keep on top of this one, to much $'s missing to just let it go.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Tracie,

You can sign up online for the child support payments. That's how I track Sean's so I know much more I need to send. You have to register with Ed's SSN and with case#. It will be on the statement he gets from the Family Support Registry. They send you the password in the mail. That way you don't have to wait for statements, but it takes about 10 days to get the password.

http://www.childsupport.state.co.us/home/indexIndex.jsp

Last edited by seansbabyluv; 09-14-2006 at 10:05 PM..
Old 09-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgrif
I am really glad that you are here. I hope that you will continue to be a part of PTO, and an advocate for the less fortunate, after Sean gets out. he is very lucky to have you, and so are we.

Until this experience, I was somewhat judgemental. And, even now, with everything that we have experienced, I sometimes still have to "check myself at the door", but I have learned so much that I feel it has been worthwhile. And, while I will always feel that my son got the shaft, he has grown too.
I'll do my best to hang around and help (if you don't mind me being "BUSY" for a couple of weeks when he gets out).

Once I get to Florida (perky new boobs and awl...), I don't how much help I would be...but we'll see. I plan on being very busy being the biggest ball & chain around his neck that I can. Forget ISP, he'll have me to reckon with...cuffs (ooh baby) and awl...
Old 09-14-2006, 10:50 PM

NO ONE wants to know the visual I got on that!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Hey hey now...I said around his neck....
Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 PM

BIG SMILES! I have visited Florida......hhhmmmhhh!