Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:21 PM

Default how does the prison determine if an inmate is calling a cell phone or home phone?

How does the prison determaine if inmate is calling a cell phone or home phone?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Registered Rockstar

I didn't know the prison could determine that. They can?
Old 09-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Well where I live cell phone numbers have their own prefix.
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 09-10-2006, 04:36 PM
WINNING! Admin

PTOQ Editorial Team Member 

Donation Award 

Thanked 37,851 Times in 10,458 Posts

Most cell phone companies do not allow you to accept collect calls, check with your provider...

Patty

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Bryant's #1

I use pre pay so i can get the collect calls to my cell phone... i dont think they know if your service is prepay

~ He made Parole 1/10/2007~

~ Baby you know I'm comfortable with who and how you are, Ive fell in love with a beautiful and wonderful person in the most unlikely of circumstances ~
Old 09-10-2006, 05:09 PM
I LOVE MY MUSLIM MAN!

I wish there was a way Soldado could use prepay.....
Old 09-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Satisfied

Most prisons/DOC's require the number to be submitted prior to them being able to call. In many cases, at this time, the number is examined to make sure it is appropriate.

Most of the DOC's have a portion in their contract with the provider to be able to research the info. While they may not always use it, they may follow up at any time, even after the DOC has approved the number and your loved one has called it. (Not fair, but it's the way it is.) Basically, they can get the phone company to access info that is between phone companies that wouldn't be available to the average person.

Like mrsd said, cell phones have their own exchanges. Line portability has changed that some, but in the majority of cases, a cell wouldn't have a land line exchange and a land line wouldn't have a cellular exchange.

Also, any Joe-Schmo can go online with a reverse directory site and see what company the number is registered to or find the exchanges specific to cells or to landlines. For example, one of my old cells was through T-mobile and with the reverse directory--it clearly said that and anyone so inclined would have noticed because T-mobile doesn't have a land line service. Other companies like Verizon offer both and they have to resort to identifying the exchange.

Very generally speaking, many cell phones are added in states that have policies saying no cells. In those cases, many folks will get *caught* using it, not because of the tracing or legwork, but because they tell on themselves. Calls ARE monitored and recorded, so if something is suspicious on one call, they MAY go back to review others to see if it's the same thing.

Jenn
Old 09-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Satisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLatinaMILF4U
Most cell phone companies do not allow you to accept collect calls, check with your provider...

Patty
The cell phone companies don't. Plain and simple. None of them have a contract with MCI or CBS, but because CBS will set up prepaid on anything and at times, MCI can be coaxed into it, as well as many states having the option that the prisoner can pay for the calls, it's actually possible for calls to come through on a cell.

Jenn
Old 09-10-2006, 06:23 PM

so in other words.... dont say ANYTHING regarding using a cell phone when talking to an inmate.... your right its easy to slip and forget your phone call is being monitered I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBenji
The cell phone companies don't. Plain and simple. None of them have a contract with MCI or CBS, but because CBS will set up prepaid on anything and at times, MCI can be coaxed into it, as well as many states having the option that the prisoner can pay for the calls, it's actually possible for calls to come through on a cell.

Jenn
Old 09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned

Like someone said, cell phone companies have there own prefixes so when the number is put on a list this is one way of knowing. Prison's in California use to be able to somehow tell if you were on a cell. If i am not mistaken it would beep on there end somehow. This was about 10-12 years ago when my husband first went in. Since then i have not know any prison to know unless you mention it. Rairai, like i said in your previous post don't even mention it. When he asks what r u doing do not say, oh I am at the market.
California does not have a prepaid account like some other states so when PCO issues numbers to inmates they will issue a regualr number that looks like it is a home number.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:12 AM
loved!

Thanked 1,147 Times in 715 Posts

right now scanning the list of numbers seems to be the only way they can actually keep a cell phone number off the list. with call forwarding and so many other things these days, calls can get wherever they need to get, be it a landline or a cell phone.

my hubby calls my cell phone on a regular basis, his number was approved, we didn't have to hide. here it just depends on the prison. some prisons allow it some don't.

i honestly forget sometimes not to say where i am, although i recommend NOT saying it. if i am out and i say it...nothing happens.

i even called global tel link and complained about my CELL phone calls being dropped, the rep told me that they didn't reimburse CELL calls made from the prison, only landline calls.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Praying for FOREVER!

I ONLY have used a cell phone. I set up an account with CBS where I pre-paid $50 each time I put money on. I used my cell, which does have the same area code as a normal land line phone. I never once got talked to about it, or in trouble for it. It wasn't a big deal. If you CAN'T use a cell phone, perhaps you could "forward" your land line number to your cell phone (so you can get the call anywhere you are with your cell), which is what I used to do several years ago. I don't see the big deal anyway - you're paying for the call anyway. Some prisons are so dumb.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Satisfied

MrsChris--Like you said, the facility your loved one is in permits cell phone calls, so even if you said you're on a cell when it's being monitored, then they shouldn't blink at it.

ToughTimes--Many facilities don't allow cell phones, but CBS will set up prepaid accounts anyway. That's actually something they don't enforce, but they will drop the calls or report it as inappropriate if the occassion arises... and we've all heard the warnings for call forwarding before. Yes, I know folks do it all the time, but some folks get caught and punished...

Jenn
Old 09-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Outlaw's honey girl

Cell phones have different prefixes than land lines and you have to have a number approved before they can call you. Fortunately cell phones are okay in Oregon for prepaid accounts through VAC (Value added Communication). My particular cell phone plan does not accept collect calls.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Account Closed

U can check online to see if a number is
a landline or if it's a cell phone!
Do a search and you can find it!

KarrieMI
Old 09-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Some people will forward the home phone to the cell so that way you won't miss the call. The prison won't know because the call is still being accepted and billed therough your home phone. The calls are recorded and monitored so they would only know if you say where you are and to be honest I always do it and say where I am ( store, driving etc) I haven't had a problem yet.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:02 PM

how can you check to see if a number is a landline or cell phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarrieMI
U can check online to see if a number is
a landline or if it's a cell phone!
Do a search and you can find it!

KarrieMI
Old 09-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Satisfied

Try www.reversephonedirectory.com.

Or any of the reverse phone look-ups.

Jenn
Old 09-16-2006, 11:40 AM

Hey there, I know that here in Canada. All the numbers are put on a calling list and the inmate has a pin number, so when they make a call they dial it then punch in there pin number. I don't think the Guards can tell if it's a cell or a home phone number. Then again there's call fordwarding
Old 09-22-2006, 10:59 AM

Exclamation Receive Collect Calls On Your Cell Phone!!!

I am able to receive collect calls on my cell phone now that I have connected with EverCom. I prepay my calls and there’s no difference in price, and I can put any where from $50 to $500 on it. They take Check, Credit card, money orders and you can pay over the phone for an $8 fee (worth it the first time only) or you can mail a check to there address. Any money left over when your loved one is free can be returned in full by contacting them and requesting a refund. Setting up an account is hard to do on there phone system so after you put in your phone # twice press 0 and talk to a live person, other wise you’ll end up giving up like I almost did. Check out there website (if you google "Evercom" it's the first website that comes up) they have rate information, you can pay online, there’s not much on there but enough to give you an Idea. --- IT DOESN’T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT GETTING CALLS ON YOUR CELL PHONE BUT IT WORKS, TRUST ME!!!

EverComCorrectional Billing Services (CBS)
Call us any time at: 1-800-844-6591
CSR Hours (Central Time)

Monday–Friday
7 AM to 9 PM

Saturday
8 AM to 6 PM

Sunday
8 AM to 6 PM
Automated System - Payments
Always Available

Correctional Billing Services
P.O. Box 1010
Selma, AL 36702

Make direct bill payments to:
Correctional Billing Services
P.O Box 2022
Mechanicsburg, PA
17055-0700
Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Satisfied

REMEMBER!!!!

Just because CBS/Evercom sets up the account does NOT mean that the prison finds receiving calls on cell phones acceptable. Get your info from the DOC before believing what the phone company may tell you.

Jenn
Old 10-13-2006, 03:33 PM

I have virgin mobile pre-pay on my cell. My baby submitted my phone number for his call list and it was approved. I pre-pay monthly and have unlimited minutes after 7pm and weekends. He bought a prepaid card he said in the prison. We had no trouble connecting. I get the announcement it is a call from a correctional facility and I hear him say his name. And then it asked me to press 0 to accept the call. It does however disconnected if the single gets dropped. They also cut into the conversation every few minutes to remind you where this call is from and that they are monitering ...
Old 10-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Satisfied

Sabana, that's great, but some states don't care if they approve the number once they discover it's a cell, then, so conveniently, the apply the rules... but it *IS* possible as long as you make alternate payment arrangements.

Jenn