Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:58 PM

Default Pa's SIP (state intermediate punishment)???

Does anyone have someone currently or that has been in this new program. I want to know what kinda time they actually spent in each facility. just wondering if they have to do the whole minimums or if they fly through the program do they get out earlier. Any info. will be greatly appreciated.i've found websites about the program , but have not actually spoken to anyone whos been in it. thanks, Natalie
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2006, 07:31 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,686 Times in 977 Posts

Hi, Natalie.

I have not encountered anyone in the SIP yet, although others have asked about it here at PTO. I presume you have read the program description on the PaDOC website. It's quite clear about the time frame.

Regards,

bob
Old 09-18-2008, 10:20 AM

Natalie- if you still have questions, let me know. My fiancee is in the program now- and I thought maybe we could trade some info Thanks!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:56 AM
lotus1

Hi My boyfriend is in it, or was just sentenced to it. I am not to good on these posts, never use them and don't know what I am doing. Can we do it privately through this or email? What phase is he at and what prison. I posted the other day but no replies.
I go by lotus1.
thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 03:58 PM

Default Info about SIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsteelers View Post
Natalie- if you still have questions, let me know. My fiancee is in the program now- and I thought maybe we could trade some info Thanks!
My son is to be evaluated for the program and I would like to know anything you can tell me about it. I have been reading other posts and am starting to get worried. I read the info on the DOC website but from the other posts it sounds like the time for each phase is not accurate. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM

my son was offered this program as well but now he is having second thoughts. Hes worried that if he takes the deal and something happens, gets in a fight or whatever, that he could then be thrown out of the program, have to go back in front of the judge to be re-sentenced and that none of the time he has done would be applied as time served. Is this true? What the atmosphere is like? How are the guards? Pushy, controlling, hateful? Does he have to be worried about getting into fights or being pushed to the edge and thrown out of the program? Instead of the program my son is talking about taking the 1-2 deal in a state prison, so he don't lose any time served. I'm not sure what the best option is for him....
Old 04-23-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demom View Post
my son was offered this program as well but now he is having second thoughts. Hes worried that if he takes the deal and something happens, gets in a fight or whatever, that he could then be thrown out of the program, have to go back in front of the judge to be re-sentenced and that none of the time he has done would be applied as time served. Is this true? What the atmosphere is like? How are the guards? Pushy, controlling, hateful? Does he have to be worried about getting into fights or being pushed to the edge and thrown out of the program? Instead of the program my son is talking about taking the 1-2 deal in a state prison, so he don't lose any time served. I'm not sure what the best option is for him....
Honestly, the worst part of this program is NOT HAVING A FIRM time-the unknown is scary... you know you'll be finished in 24 months (unless you do something stupid and mess up) but you are never quite sure when you will move onto the next phase. I know someone who is leaving for a halfway house really soon. The 3rd phase (the treatment center) had perfect timing. His release date has stayed the same the entire time since he arrived there (from the treatment center to the halfway house phase). Also~the time he was 'promised' from Camp Hill to his next prison was pretty much right on target. He did get hung up 2 extra months because of the shooting in Philadelphia.

One good thing about it is that you DO GET CHANGE... you are not stuck in the same spot the entire time...and you have hope of moving on and working forward.

Everybody I have spoke to (attorneys, etc) always say that if you can get into this program- DO IT.

Your son will just have to BEHAVE. Tell him to keep to himself, DO WHAT IS EXPECTED NO MATTER HOW RIDICULOUS THE RULES SEEM. Also, maintain a close relationship with the counselor.

Everybody has their own story- I think it just depends on his particular case. The best advice I can give you is to avoid all the negativity and hit the ground running.

Time DOES go faster then you think

BEST OF LUCK!!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsteelers View Post
Honestly, the worst part of this program is NOT HAVING A FIRM time-the unknown is scary... you know you'll be finished in 24 months (unless you do something stupid and mess up) but you are never quite sure when you will move onto the next phase. I know someone who is leaving for a halfway house really soon. The 3rd phase (the treatment center) had perfect timing. His release date has stayed the same the entire time since he arrived there (from the treatment center to the halfway house phase). Also~the time he was 'promised' from Camp Hill to his next prison was pretty much right on target. He did get hung up 2 extra months because of the shooting in Philadelphia.

One good thing about it is that you DO GET CHANGE... you are not stuck in the same spot the entire time...and you have hope of moving on and working forward.

Everybody I have spoke to (attorneys, etc) always say that if you can get into this program- DO IT.

Your son will just have to BEHAVE. Tell him to keep to himself, DO WHAT IS EXPECTED NO MATTER HOW RIDICULOUS THE RULES SEEM. Also, maintain a close relationship with the counselor.

Everybody has their own story- I think it just depends on his particular case. The best advice I can give you is to avoid all the negativity and hit the ground running.

Time DOES go faster then you think

BEST OF LUCK!!
Also~ Camp Hill is tough. But- no matter what- he'd have to go there unless his alternative is a county sentence. If he goes to Chester- the guards are pretty laid back. I've always heard thats one of the best prisons you can get into. Of course- there are some guards who are not- but he'll just have to learn how to humble them and do what he's supposed to do. EVERYBODY in the program (as far as I know) is LOW PROFILE- they are not in trouble for guns and violence, etc... all substance abuse problems.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:04 AM

About this SIP Program. My husband just got moved from Camp Hill to Pittsburgh. Apparently this guy at pittsburgh told them that they will not get out until their 2 years is up. My husband took this program because you get drug and alcohol treatment for 7 months in the prison and 2 months rehab and then the remaining outpatient. What is this guy talking about? Anyone have any ideas? My hubby has already been gone for almost 3 months and I'm going crazy, another 21 months will probably make me have a nervous breakdown.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyswife View Post
About this SIP Program. My husband just got moved from Camp Hill to Pittsburgh. Apparently this guy at pittsburgh told them that they will not get out until their 2 years is up. My husband took this program because you get drug and alcohol treatment for 7 months in the prison and 2 months rehab and then the remaining outpatient. What is this guy talking about? Anyone have any ideas? My hubby has already been gone for almost 3 months and I'm going crazy, another 21 months will probably make me have a nervous breakdown.
Did you get any info? My fiancee is on his 17th month of this. Email me at Tiff2815@hotmail.com if you have any questions, I can tell you ALOT!

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 AM

Tell your son to do the SIP program. Why not? If he does what he's told and stays out of trouble, isn't it worth it? Everyone in the SIP group with him will all be working for the same goal. He'd be better off trying it than not trying it.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:49 PM
lotus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyswife View Post
They might mean2 years in total including the outpatient. My bfriend is in the 2ndstage at Quehanna. Your time frame is right, unless there is more of ahold up than we know between stages. For us the first stage is about 2months over so far. 4 of the seven have to be tc and he had already done 5 in the state until they got to a place with tc. I believe there are only 3 places in pa for that. so now 4 more there,that is all I can say so far.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:51 PM

Default Sip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
They might mean2 years in total including the outpatient. My bfriend is in the 2ndstage at Quehanna. Your time frame is right, unless there is more of ahold up than we know between stages. For us the first stage is about 2months over so far. 4 of the seven have to be tc and he had already done 5 in the state until they got to a place with tc. I believe there are only 3 places in pa for that. so now 4 more there,that is all I can say so far.
Hi my guy is now going through the SIP Program. The way he told me, he said its not that bad, just time consuming, like that have something better to do....but he left county went to Camphill....was there appox. 2 months for classification....then sentenced via video conference....waited about one month.....then got transferred to Pittsburgh..... there he took all the classes he was suppose to take...he graduated from that after being there about 4 months....transferred to a rehab center in Reading, you had to make sure he had a hundred dollars in his account for bus transportation to Reading....he got on the bus at Pittsburgh, by himself ....stopped in Harrisburg, where he got another bus, and went to Reading, took him 8 hours.....and this is where he sits now.....He has to be there about 45 to 60 days taking all sorts of classes. There he is allowed to wear normal clothes ...which I just packed up and sent to him....he could smoke, he cant have food in his room, just the eating place. But I did read somewhere that they are very strict, and the classes are hard. He called me within 24 hours to let me know where he was at. I already knew via Inmate Search. He is now allowed to make only one phone call per week for only 15 minutes.....He said so far, its not bad.......after the 45 to 60 days, he will either go to a halfway house here, or come home, most likely come home, after a home inspection......thats it....
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 PM

Default Sip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Mama View Post
My son is to be evaluated for the program and I would like to know anything you can tell me about it. I have been reading other posts and am starting to get worried. I read the info on the DOC website but from the other posts it sounds like the time for each phase is not accurate. Any info will be appreciated.
Hi my guy is now going through the SIP Program. The way he told me, he said its not that bad, just time consuming, like that have something better to do....but he left county went to Camphill....was there appox. 2 months for classification....then sentenced via video conference....waited about one month.....then got transferred to Pittsburgh..... there he took all the classes he was suppose to take...he graduated from that after being there about 4 months....transferred to a rehab center in Reading, you had to make sure he had a hundred dollars in his account for bus transportation to Reading....he got on the bus at Pittsburgh, by himself ....stopped in Harrisburg, where he got another bus, and went to Reading, took him 8 hours.....and this is where he sits now.....He has to be there about 45 to 60 days taking all sorts of classes. There he is allowed to wear normal clothes ...which I just packed up and sent to him....he could smoke, he cant have food in his room, just the eating place. But I did read somewhere that they are very strict, and the classes are hard. He called me within 24 hours to let me know where he was at. I already knew via Inmate Search. He is now allowed to make only one phone call per week for only 15 minutes.....He said so far, its not bad.......after the 45 to 60 days, he will either go to a halfway house here, or come home, most likely come home, after a home inspection......thats it....
Old 09-11-2009, 08:07 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but don't expect the next stop to be home. My guy is in the last 2 months of his sip sentence. The rehab part is 60 days. Then the next step is minimum 6 months at a halfway house. I know the doc website says they can come home but that's not the way it is. This program changes quite frequently and we were under the impression he could home after the rehab but it didn't happen. After the lady came from home inspection while he was at the halfway house she said not to expect him till there was only 4 months of the sentence left. Luckily she was wrong, but he still spent 6 months at the halfway house in outpatient treatment. It's very difficult there. They have to work 40 hours a week in order to get passes to come home. Plus they have to do so much community service a week plus go to so many aa meetings. Good luck you still have a long road ahead of you.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:38 AM

Default I am in the sip program currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helms2003 View Post
Does anyone have someone currently or that has been in this new program. I want to know what kinda time they actually spent in each facility. just wondering if they have to do the whole minimums or if they fly through the program do they get out earlier. Any info. will be greatly appreciated.i've found websites about the program , but have not actually spoken to anyone whos been in it. thanks, Natalie
I spent 4 months at camp hell, 6 months at quehanna, 2 months in addapt in reading and 6 months in harrisburg ccc. this is normal. what ever you lawer told you about 7 months in the sip is a flat lie I spent over 20 months before i got home and now I drive about 6 hours a week to go back to the ccc 2 times a week to report. They will just keep saying every place you go that wherever yu are it it is i minimun time there. This is not from someone who is pissed of about it anymore I am finally almost done it is a fact. every one that I know that went thrue this program has the same exprience and every one that goes thru it will have the same. The judges. D.A's and Attorney's feed you this story that you will be home in about 7-8 months. there is no way that will ever happen. sorry
Old 11-13-2009, 12:54 AM

Default If you are looking at 2 years or less don't take sip

The SIP program is not what you are ever told. I was looking at 12 months.then told if I take sip I would be home in 7. well 20 months later I finally made it home to my wife and 3 kids. Everybody that takes sip will do between 14-20 minimun. there is no way around. the guidlines are set you will go to a ccc for 6 months after rehab there is no going to approved home plan. there are 1000's of us that were told we would do 7-9 months and be home (IT IS A LIE). I have been there and done it I never hade a misconduct Did every thing I was supposed to and still didn't come home for 20 months. please think long and hard about it and tell youre loved ones the same. The doc will never tell you how it really work listen to the one who are doing it or have already done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hk3091 For This Useful Post:
Changae (11-13-2009), lotus1 (02-10-2010), Tiny xo (12-13-2010)
Old 11-15-2009, 10:51 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,686 Times in 977 Posts

The SIP program never had a chance to break-in. The court officials were still trying to figure it out when the police shooting in Philadelphia upset the entire program. (The RRIP is also a mess right now.)

There is a knowledge gap between the judicial system and the DOC/PBPP. The people in court -- judges & lawyers -- read info about a program or a policy and simply repeat the information. The reality is that the DOC/PBPP literature only talks about programs in the IDEAL situation, not in reality. So, what should be a few months becomes many more.

This is no different than a parole hit for six months that ends up lasting 12 or 14 months. When the system is bursting at the seams, everything bogs down or even grinds to a halt. SIP and RRIP are good ideas that can be made to work, given enough time and a better environment. Hopefully, that environment is ahead.

As with any sentencing "guidance" from a judge or a lawyer, they just can't anticipate the DOC or PBPP. They aren't lying as much as repeating the misinformation they've been fed. (Believe me, I have legislators asking why these programs aren't working ...) So, always take such "guidance" or "assurances" with a grain of salt. No one going into prison should ever assume he'll get out on a specific date. It just doesn't happen.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
lotus1

Default sip program

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELS722 View Post
hi
can you tell me where you are at in the program now.i am from the wilkes
barre scranton area and we are about to go from quehanna to the rehab.I don't know which one,but I can supposedly drive him. do you know how long it takes to get home from the halfway?
thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
hi
can you tell me where you are at in the program now.i am from the wilkes
barre scranton area and we are about to go from quehanna to the rehab.I don't know which one,but I can supposedly drive him. do you know how long it takes to get home from the halfway?
thanks
Hi, I am also from the Scranton area and my boyfriend was just resentenced 2 weeks ago at Camp Hill into the SIP program...Every thing I read on it is so confusing....I was wondering if you can give me some information on it? Hope you can get some answers on your questions...Thanks for any help...
Old 12-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Could anyone tell us if the time already served before entering the SIP program counts toward the twenty four months of the program? Toward the end of the program is it true that you spend several of the last months in your own home? Once the program is complete and you are released what kind of follow up is required and for how long ? ie drug testing, counseling sessions, parole officer visits, home visits, etc.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paconfused View Post
Could anyone tell us if the time already served before entering the SIP program counts toward the twenty four months of the program? Toward the end of the program is it true that you spend several of the last months in your own home? Once the program is complete and you are released what kind of follow up is required and for how long ? ie drug testing, counseling sessions, parole officer visits, home visits, etc.
my boyfriend is in this program RIGHT NOW, & no, NONE of the time he sits in jail before entering the SIP program will count for anything. my boyfriend sat in jail a year & a half before he was finally sentenced to SIP, & the judge basically threw all that time served out the window.

to answer the rest of your questions, i'm not sure if you will spend the last few months in your own home, we haven't gotten to that part yet, cause this program is SO SLOW. my boyfriend doesn't have probation after this so i dunno anything about that either.

if you can't tell, i hate this program BAD!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the information. Could you tell me what he is allowed in the way of phone calls and visits? Is it the same as in prison?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny xo View Post
my boyfriend is in this program RIGHT NOW, & no, NONE of the time he sits in jail before entering the SIP program will count for anything. my boyfriend sat in jail a year & a half before he was finally sentenced to SIP, & the judge basically threw all that time served out the window.

to answer the rest of your questions, i'm not sure if you will spend the last few months in your own home, we haven't gotten to that part yet, cause this program is SO SLOW. my boyfriend doesn't have probation after this so i dunno anything about that either.

if you can't tell, i hate this program BAD!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanked 1,559 Times in 800 Posts

Tiny can answer the questions about the visitation and stuff, but here is the information about the program in general....

Here's how it works AFTER you are done MINIMUM of 7 months upstate (MINIMUM of 4 which must be spent in a TC in prison), MINIMUM of 2 months in a community-based TC, and MINIMUM of 6 months in outpatient (in which you are in a halfway house).....note I'm pointing out that these are all MINIMUMS because a person can be held back in any of these phases for a number of reasons....breaking the rules, poor attitude, DOC being SLOWWWWWWW, that kinda thing.

Once you start working and turning in paychecks at the halfway house, you can put in for weekend furloughs (where you go home Fri/Sat nights) as long as you have an address to go to (obviously) and landline phone number that can be verified (and, obviously, as long as you're following all of the rules of the outpatient and halfway house and remaining sober, etc.). Eventually you can get up to 6 nights of furloughs per week.

THEN eventually, in theory, if you continue following all of the rules and doing what you're supposed to, you will go to "non reporting" status where you will live at home and (I believe) occasionally have to submit urines. That would be the balance of whatever the 24 months is.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:47 AM

Thank you for the information. It is greatly appreciated.