Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW HAMPSHIRE > New Hampshire DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Hampshire DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the New Hampshire Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Donation Award 

Default NHSP - Sending Money

Sending money to an inmate

Inmates can receive money in the mail in the form of a Personal Check or Money Order only. You cannot send an inmate cash in the mail. The check or money order must include the inmate's name and identification number. The check or money order will be deposited into the inmate's account. Inmates can not have more than $1,000.00 in their account.
(You no longer have to be on the inmate's visiting list to send checks/money orders).

Last edited by Cactus; 05-14-2010 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: added update info.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2006, 01:50 PM

you also have to be on the inmates visiting list to be able to send money they will return it if you arent

* Nikki*

*If you don't know where your heart is, look to where your mind goes when it wanders*
Old 08-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Donation Award 

I got the info from the State's DOC web site and the web site didn't mention that, however as I now read the Inmate Manual I note that that information is included. Thank you for catching that for me lildaisychickk!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:51 PM

when you sign the money order make sure your signature is very neat so they can read it--- if they cant read it they will send it back to you-- trust me my normal signature is terrible and they sent my m/o back.make sure you put your name and address in the memo spot. somtimes they can be real jerks so make sure everything is nice and neat. I dont think they let you send personal check-- you might want to double check with someone from inside.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinm
when you sign the money order make sure your signature is very neat so they can read it--- if they cant read it they will send it back to you-- trust me my normal signature is terrible and they sent my m/o back.make sure you put your name and address in the memo spot. somtimes they can be real jerks so make sure everything is nice and neat. I dont think they let you send personal check-- you might want to double check with someone from inside.
kristinm,

The information I provided about the personal checks came directly from the "Manual for the Guidance of Inmates" provided to me by Mr. Lyons. Rules change frequently in prison so, as you noted, it is a good idea to check with someone on the inside first.

I don't send checks to NHSP but I do send them to TDCJ. I have one of those signatures that you can't read and have never had a problem. That may be because in Texas one doesn't have to be on the visitor's list to send money to an inmate. If a name is printed on the check it would seem to me that it shouldn't make any difference if they can read the signature or not - but that is my way of thinking and not necessarily that of NHDOC.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:54 PM

Smile Personal Checks are allowed

Hi - Personal checks with your name printed on them are allowed, as long as you are on the inmate's visitor list. I've been sending them for years with no problem to the Concord and Berlin prisons. - Dot
Old 11-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Donation Award 

But make sure the inmates id# is included next to their name. It stinks to get it back opened yet undelivered.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Checks and money orders

Effective November 6, 2006 (in response to the Commissioner's meeting with Lauretta Silva's Families of New Hampshire Inmates group) you no longer have to be on the inmate's visiting list to send checks/money orders. The $1,000.00 maximum limit in an inmate's account still applies.

However you need to make sure your name, address, and phone number are on the check/money order that you send.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 AM
Donation Award 

Wow......what a breakthrough!!! Thank you Families of New Hamphire Inmates!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Donation Award 

I have heard now that it takes over 30 days for them to process a check though it may clear your bank immediately.....go figure.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Question Money Order

I sent in a Postal Money Order today. I made it out to the facility and put inmate account, and his name. I didn't have his number. Will he still get it?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Donation Award 

Good question......time will tell.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:42 AM

i might be in the wrong place, but what about the electronic thing? sending money online?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,353 Times in 3,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
...what about the electronic thing? sending money Online?
That would be nice, but Inmates can receive money (mail only), in the form of a personal check or money order.
Make sure the inmates id# is included next to their name, and that your name, address, and phone number,
are on the check/money orders that you send. Do Not Send Money directly to inmate.

The check or money order will be deposited into the inmate's account.
Inmates can not have more than $1,000.00 in their account.

Inmate Accounts:
(603) 271-4078
Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Donation Award 

$1000? I would like that much in my account please. I would be afraid the state would lose track in all that paperwork they tend to with that much money.
The Following User Says Thank You to pmitch10 For This Useful Post:
Cactus (09-05-2010)
Old 09-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Boy am I glad I read all this. I sent money orders for 4 years and have been doing that now. I didn't think you could send a personal check. However, does the personal check get credited to the account right away or after it has cleared? A money order shows that cash was paid to get it so they clear immediately and get credited right off. I'm told that inmates can only do canteen at certain times and if there is no money in their account they can't order. The money orders I send get credited right away so my son makes canteen. I'm thinking, until I know differently, that the .69 cents it cost me is worth it so he can at least make his order time. I do know also that sometimes mistakes get made on the accounts and someone gets charged for something they didn't order or didn't get so inmates should hold on to their receipts. When I send a money order I also send a letter with it telling my son how much I sent to make sure he gets credited that amount. Oh, and money orders do get lost so keep your receipt in case you have to track it down to see where it it. This happened to my son and me but the letter he received showed that the check had been enclosed and had been lost at the prison so they had to credit him the money as they lost the money order.
The Following User Says Thank You to tinymom For This Useful Post:
pmitch10 (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Donation Award 

Good idea about posting inside a card or letter the amount you are sending. You can send a check but it takes up to a month...yes, a month, to process, but they take it directly out out of your account....go figure.

Where do you get money orders for .69? I use to get them free from my bank if you used your account there but now they are $2.00 so I am going to the post office now for a little over a dollar...I forget the exact amount.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:40 AM

I can get them for that price at one of the local pharmacies. However, they are different prices at different places. In my hometown they range from .69 to 1.00. My local bank, however, charges 5.00 for one if you don't have an account. If you do you are allowed one free one every day. Of course I didn't know this until this month so I am going to go to my bank from now on and save the .69. I usually send my son money once a month.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Donation Award 

Thanks tinymom...I'll check around our local pharmacies. My bank went from issueing one free one to charging $2 even if you have an account....ridiculous. I may check other banks also just to keep some money in there for such occasions......thanks.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I will allways be there!!

This is a comment that is on the Home page of the NH State Prison for Men web site.
The State of New Hampshire has recently imposed a 30 day hold on all personal and business checks. This change is the result of new check processing procedures within the Department of Corrections and the State of New Hampshire. The use of money orders is recommended as they are processed in a shorter period of time.
I have found the cheapest place to buy a money order is at RiteAid Pharmacy. They charge 50 cents.
Hope this helps.
Cactus (09-11-2010), cedhpdald3 (09-16-2010)