Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Oregon Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Oregon prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Outlaw's honey girl

Smile Moneygram Procedures on sending to inmates

I just had an awesome experience talking to VAC! Unbelievable, I know. I was calling to check and see if my last money order had been posted seeing as how I didn't know the new procedure. It did thank goodness and only took about 3 days. Well the guy tells me that moneygrams get posted right away so I thank him for the tip and am just about to hang up when he says, "you want me to walk you through how to fill one out?" I didn't realize how much information you need for them so I was very thankful for his help. Here are the steps:

receiving code - 5031
company - Value Added Communications
city - Plano (the mailing address changed but not their physical location)
account # - your phone number
amount - $50.00 (or whatever)
name and address - your name and address
message - the inmates name and SID #

You can get moneygrams at Walmart I know but I'd love to hear about any other locations. The guy I spoke to did verify that for money orders only VAC should appear on the pay to line.

Last edited by honeyg; 08-02-2006 at 12:30 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to honeyg For This Useful Post:
heathirlove (01-26-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2006, 05:26 PM

I used to work for a company that accepted MoneyGram payments. It's a pretty good system, and it's cheaper than Western Union. The downside is that your best bet is almost always Wal*Mart. But, at Wal*Mart the payments are cheaper (by about $0.50) and you can use your debit card. You can look on their website to find other locations, though. (Can't post it b/c I don't have 25 posts yet -- just search for MoneyGram on Google.)
Old 08-03-2006, 12:12 AM
loving my caged bird

I work for a company that accepts payments via Money Gram.
I will write down their phone# and web site and post it
tomorrow. Is VAC nationside?

Love is patient, love is kind. Love never fails.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Outlaw's honey girl

I don't know if VAC is nationwide. They do have a website www.vaci.com but it doesn't tell you much.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Boss

Other states use VAC, but it's not "nationwide" because I know most states have never heard of it.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:24 PM

I have been sending all my VAC $$ by moneygram and it is much better the money is posted the next business day
Old 08-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Donation Award 

Exclamation

I went online to Moneygram's website to find one near my house, thought I would share the site with everyone. It has been over 2 weeks since I sent a money order to VAC by mail and it is still not on the books yet, I will be using moneygram from now on... Hope this link is helpful to everyone else...

http://www.moneygram.com/servlet/Def...gentSearch.jsp

You can keep us apart for now but you will never take away our love for each other.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:43 PM

I used Moneygram just the other day at Walmart and the associate forgot to put the message line in for the name and sid #. I called moneygram's customer support, but apparently they did not get it in on time or something. I received a call the next day from VAC wondering where the money should be applied. Moral of this post, make sure you have the associate put the name and sid # and send the moneygram by 2pm pst. The person that posts the money on the account only works until 4pm cst, so the money will not be posted on his account until Monday.

Another way to send it is to go onto moneygram's website and use a credit card to send the money. I haven't tried it yet, but the next time I send the money I will be going on to the website and trying that way to see if it is easier.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Tim is My Life, My Only 1

Right On now I can get money to his phone card quicker.. I like that Thanks Honey G... and everyone else..I deeply appreciate it alot..
Old 08-16-2006, 07:05 PM

I used the Moneygram for the first time today. wooooooooohooooo! I'm so excited! How do they know that there is money in their account to be used?

-r

Old 08-17-2006, 12:59 PM

Well, I just answered my own question. I was way to excited and impatient, so called DOC. Inmates won't know that funds are on the account until they try to call, i.e. pick up a phone and check the balance. So... I guess I'll have to wait for my letter to reach him before I get another call. LOL. Dang it.

Well, at least it gives me something to look forward to

-r

Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prici
I used Moneygram just the other day at Walmart and the associate forgot to put the message line in for the name and sid #. I called moneygram's customer support, but apparently they did not get it in on time or something. I received a call the next day from VAC wondering where the money should be applied. Moral of this post, make sure you have the associate put the name and sid # ....
that happened to me too... I had the SID # on the form, but I guess they didn't bother to enter it in. I called this morning to make sure everything was ok with the VAC end of things and while I was on hold listening to the muzak and waiting to talk to someone, I got a callwaiting beep and answered it and it was them LOL. Walmart hadn't put the SID number in so they had called to find out where to apply payment.

-r

Old 08-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Boss

This is such BS. You would think they want to keep money on peope's accounts so they can spend it. We now don't have phone calls because they haven't entered the money order, even though I know I filled it out right and sent it in 2 weeks ago. I guess I will have to call. How much does it cost to use Moneygram?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:45 PM

It's 8.50 at WalMart, I think 8.95 at other places. But the good thing is that you don't have to wait for the whole stupid money order process. VAC will have the MoneyGram amount posted to their account by 9am the next business day. They seemed really nice/helpful when I talked with them.

-r

Old 08-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Boss

I just found out the fee is it's between $8-9. I just called VAC and they did not have my money order, which was for $150 and sent almost 2 weeks ago. I hope I saved the stub. I guess I'll go down to Wallyworld and get gouged by the fee and dump more $$ into it that may or may not show up.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Outlaw's honey girl

Thankfully my last money order made it in a couple of days even though I hadn't followed the new procedure. I hate the idea of the moneygram fee when a money order is only $.75 but I'm thinking it may be worth it after reading all the problems that everyone has been having. Seems like every time you turn around there's some new hassle to deal with.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Two Rivers Western Union

I see that you can send money by Western Union, I looked at the list and see Rivers Complex but do not see 2 Rivers. Is that the same or does anyone know if you can send money to the prison by Western Union?

Thanks,

Old 10-23-2006, 11:20 PM
loving my caged bird

Two Rivers Correctional Institution in Umatilla Oregon? That's where my sweety is at......EEEeeek! Wouldn't that be expensive? I send money orders to:

DOC Cental Trust
PO BOX 14400
Salem OR 97309

That's on the envelope. On the $ order put:
Department of Corrections(in the pay to line)<<<<<be sure to write out department of corrections not DOC on the money order!!!
name of inmate SID#1234567
at Two Rivers Correctional Institution in Umatilla Oregon

He gets the money in 3-4 days, depending on if there's a weekend day in there. Winco has money orders for .25cents.

I send money orders so that he has $$ on his VAC account.....he can call me without calling collect and can check his balance on his end. Those go to:

VAC
PO BOX 678517
Dallas TX 75267

In the pay-to I put VAC/inmate's name & SID#
at Two Rivers Correctional Institution, Umatilla Oregon

Hope this helps!!!!

Love is patient, love is kind. Love never fails.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Boss

You cannot send money via Western Union to state prisons in Oregon. I believe you can send it to Sheridan, which is a federal prison in Oregon. DOC now lets you send it via your electronic bill pay.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:56 AM

Wonder what that is about with writing the complete words on the money order ? I put on the pay to the order of line " DOC for inmate sid #"
and always get a reciept and never have had a problem <knocking on wood> 2 lovebirds, have you had them returned or something ?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Outlaw's honey girl

I've spoken to VAC because the money order lines are so darn small and they said it isn't necessary to put the prison name because they track the inmate by the SID number. But, if you've ever had a problem I can see putting more info than is needed just to play it safe.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:07 PM

WINCO also have a money gram phone...you pick up the phone and say what you need to say and it is a done deal. I did not see how much this service costs, but perhaps someone out there had used this money gram phone and can tell us more about it ???
Old 01-13-2008, 08:28 PM
missing my shawty

okay I know this was started awhile back but hey I have a question I want to make sure that this gets posted to the inmate's phone debit account and not JUST my number since that is what the account # will be...will it be to their general account so they can call any #? I'll be calling VAC but since it's the weekend I have to wait until monday or when I remember and they are open.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM

As far as I can tell, the "account number" (which is actually your phone number) is just so they can call you if there is a problem, and/or to track where he's getting the money from. It's actually posted to his account under his SID number, which is why they have to have his name and SID number in the message line.

I have found that even though I write the message in, Walmart (where I send my moneygrams from) almost never enters that info into the transaction. I just wind up having to call the following morning and make sure that VAC adds the number to the moneygram so it gets posted in the right place. If you don't call them, they will try to call you and get it posted correctly...so that's one good thing

Old 01-14-2008, 02:30 AM
missing my shawty

exile- thanks so much! now I can run down and get some money on his account instead of waiting for a money order