Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona DOC - What You Need to Know > Arizona Prison Visitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Arizona Prison Visitation All information & questions related to visitation in all Arizona facilities should be posted here. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the Arizona forum.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:36 PM

Default Visitation denied. Help with appeal

Hi everyone,
PLEASE HELP if you can.
I understand I have 10 days to appeal this decision. I need help with what I should include in the letter I send them. Do I write a letter basically explaining how I see myself? Do I beg for mercy? What are they looking for? What info will give me the best chance?
I have never been convicted of any felony charge. and the last time I had any contact with the legal system on my own behalf was like 6 years ago. and that was a minor deal that never even went to court.
I was never implicated in any of the charges my guy is now in prison for. I was in no way a victim of his. (there were no victims).
Should I mention that I was recently awarded custody of my 16 year old son who was taken from his fathers custody and placed in a boys group home until I was thoroghly investigated as a suitable placement option. Including family counsiling, background investigation, and even home inspection?
I am so worried about being denied again after appeal.
Then what is the likelihood of being approved at the 6 month point if they do deny my appeal?
I am going crazy here! I was stunned to be denied in the first place.
Would it help to include notes I wrote to Pat before he got busted that clearly show I disapproved of what he was doing. Naw! thats probably a bad idea. Should I get a drug test to submit to them? as his charges are drug related?
HHHHHHEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!! PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I only have ten days to put something together and 0 knowledge of what I am doing.
Other than PRAYING! any one who would be so kind could say a couple of those for me too.
I feel like I was getting up every morning with a smile on my face because I had the promise of finally getting to see him always at the fore front of my thinking. Something to hang on to. something to get me through another day and now I feel that same sick to my stomach feeling I had the first weeks he was gone.
At least then I could see him on the stupid video screen and talk on the phone................
Thanks ahead of time to anyone with a helpful tip or two.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2006, 08:44 PM

Is there any reason on the application as to why you were denied?
Old 07-16-2006, 08:58 PM

Oh yeah, I meant to include that.
Unfavorable background investigation.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:12 PM

I would call the facility and ask for the Warden and ask whoever you get what this means and ask if they could put it in writing and send it to you.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Love my husband~AZ Alumni
Donation Award 

Pat'sWifey, I'm sorry to hear that you got denied. I agree with michela though-call the warden's office and try to find out the process of appealing. I'm sorry that I don't have any other information for you. Maybe one of our other members will be able to help you out. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:53 AM

Thank you for the moral support anyways. I just spent three hours pouring my heart out in a letter to the warden explaining a bit about myself. Pointing out all of the positive things that I have done for myself in the last five years. I think it came out pretty good. It's probably a bit long. But I have no idea what they are expecting me to say so with a hope and a prayer it goes in the mail in the morning. I'm sure if it is not proper they will happily tell me I'm screwed.
But life goes on, I will try again in 6 months and again every 6 months until they let me in. Either way, I'll be there that last day waiting with open arms. They can't decide that for me.
I'm a good kid. This is bull!! but hey, wanting won't change anything. Getting angry will kill you. and crying too much just gives me a headache and a runny nose. So...I put on my happy face and trudge through one more day. The only way to get to the end of the path is to keep on walking. and see, I am going to bed now, which means I am one day closer to the end. No, THE BEGINNING.
thanks again for the input. you all are great.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Aimee

I hope that your letter works and that they allow you to visit. All you can do is send out the letter and pray that it will work out. We are always here for you if you need to vent about it.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:30 PM

UUUGGGGHHH!!!!
I am feeling so down today. Probably just overly tired. I haven't slept much the last few nights.
I went through the list of reasons that are outlined for being refused visitation and I don't fit into any of them.
I revised my letter last night and I think it is much better now. It is in the mail. But now I am really feeling stressed and lonely. Soooo afraid they are going to make me wait 6 months.

On a happier note.......
I got a really sweet letter from him today. That made me feel better.

I know the one is coming any time now that will be full of his trying to cheer me up. Reassure me that we will be okay and get through this too. But I know his heart will be breaking when he finds out I was denied.
I know this man so well. His health will suffer, depression is not nice to my baby.
I feel sooooo bad for him.
Guess I will have to double up the letters and cards and pictures I send.
God does't give us more than we can handle, right?
Do me a favor all.... pray for Mr. Ontiveros.(The warden) Pray for all good things in his life. Health, happiness, wealth, whatever makes him happy.

Maybe if his life is going really well he will be more receptive, understanding, and merciful.

I'm going to get some groceries now... be back later. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:34 AM

How are things going? Have you heard anything?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Donation Award 

Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and hoping that you are feeling better than you were the other day. Hopefully you'll hear something from the warden soon but in the meantime, keep that communication going. Those letters will help you both stay strong. Take care, Lisa
Old 07-22-2006, 12:39 AM

Hi,
No word yet. I understand they only have ten days after they receive my appeal, to give me an answer. so it won't be too awfully long I guess. I will keep you up to date as I hear anything. and if he says No, I will need some big shoulders to cry on for a day or two.
thanks all
Old 07-26-2006, 12:11 AM

HI,
Got my answer today. Denied! The letter says I have exhausted my final options and basically not to bother them again for 6 months.
My question is.......If this is based on my past criminal history(mind you I was NOT ultimately charged with any of this stuff I was arrested for) What in the world will 6 months do? Nothing will have changed. I will sill have the same past record.
I am looking into having my record sealed but it looks like $1500 to $2000 to have this done. Might as well be a million.
It makes me crazy that someone who is currently ON PROBATION can get permission to visit, but myself who has been CONVICTED of a crime, never been on probation or sentenced to any jail time can be denied. It has been at least five years since my last arrest and I was never even charged in the case.
I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do next. I can accept having to wait 6 months. what I can't deal with is the simple fact that regardless of how much time goes by MY RECORD WILL NEVER CHANGE so how can I believe that I will ever be approved?
I know my Patricks heart is breaking, I haven't even had a letter from him for a while now. I know he is too depressed to write. Doesn't know whats really going on. Probably is angry with me thinking I have gotten into some sort of trouble since he's been gone. I have several letters on the way to him, however I mailed one to him the same day I mailed the appeal letter and it has obviously gotten there been checked out and a responce mailed that already arrived. So ...... surely Patrick could have gotten a letter to me by now. I have heard nothing from on the subject of being denied. I worry so because I know the level his depression can go to. I know how bad his health gets when he is depressed too.
I know for myself that if I let depression get the best of me, I will screw everything in my life up. I am feeling very down. Wanted to just get super drunk and cry all night. but I know I have a killer work day ahead of me tomorrow. (usually we do 3 or 4 jobs in a day. max of 6. tommorrow we have 9.) I will have to at my very best to even hope to make this happen. Although I do love the occasional challenge of this type of thing. My sister and I install vinyl flooring. Oh heck, hear I go rambling on and on. Guess I'll write my baby another short letter this time and then get some sleep. Night all and thanks for your continued support.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Donation Award 

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear the news! I can't believe they denied you if you weren't convicted of whatever charges you faced. I was really hoping that you would get some good news!
Did they say specifically the reason they denied you, or just that you were denied? You're right, your record won't change but I know of other people who have been denied their first time applying, and then approved later on so there is hope.
I'm sorry to hear that you haven't heard from Patrick, I'm sure that's making it even harder for you. I'd encourage you to keep writing though...he may be depressed and not feeling up to writing right now, but I'm sure it's the highlight of his day getting your letters.
Stay strong, girl. This, too, shall pass and things will be better soon! Lisa
Old 07-29-2006, 09:43 PM

Hi everyone,

Dales forever, Thank you for the hope. The only explanation I was given is "unfavorable criminal history" I think it is unfair that they apparently don't look at the disposition of these arrests. I wonder if they even look at the dates..... The last time I was arrested for something was 5 years ago and I was never even charged in the matter. In fact after they released me "they" gave me a ride back to my car.
Now I am finding out that having your record sealed in most states is only a matter of a waiting period before you can ask the court to seal them. but in AZ. you have to apply within two years of the arrest or forget it. also you have to prove you were innocent of whatever you were arrested for. Although they do concider not being charged, a presumption of innocense. It is easier to have your record sealed if you were convicted of a crime and finished serving your time and probation successfully. It's so mixed up. any ways I am going to go down and be fingerprinted so I can get a copy of this unfavorable criminal history of mine. at least then I will know what they are talking about and make sure that no one has maybe used my social when they got themselves into trouble. Ironically, someone who might have used my social would have done so because she thought I would have a clean enough record to benefit her in terms of them going easier on her. I would just like to know because most anything I was ever arrested for was stupid traffic stuff. (yes, I went to jail 5 times on the same ticket before I finally got it taken care of) DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!!!!!
I didn't work, my husband barely made enough money to feed us all (5 kids) so there was no money to pay off fines and no one to watch kids if I just stayed in jail long enough to pay them off that way. I was naive' anyways.
BUT......on a happier note, I finally received two letters today from my Patrick. He is always so sweet, uplifting, kind, and full of praise and appreciation towards me. Not just now, but always.....even long ago when I was desperately in love but could never tell him how I felt, we were "just friends" but even then he put me on a pedestal and always treated me like I was somewhat better than everyone else. I love this man so much. He says, "stay strong, it's just another test, we will get through it." THIS I KNOW!!!!!
Sorry so long. Thanks again for the support, it helps tremendously.

Last edited by tobepatswifey; 07-29-2006 at 09:49 PM..
Old 07-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Looking Forward Always

Hi
I am really sorry to hear that you are having to deal with such a trauma.. tho it is correct that some people have been denied but approved in the 6 month reapplication period.. they tend to watch your guys behaviour and see that you are sending letters etc... it is a shame for sure.. but your attitude is positive as you are sending letters and standing strong for your man. I being far at this time understand how hard it is to just see them every so often but letters sure help so keep sending them...and lots and lots as he will do the same I am sure.. just give him time as well to adjust as he will be dealing iwth this as well in his way.
Prison tests all couples and family members that is for sure.. but it also builds stronger bonds then other couples will ever understand so look to the postiives..
take care and know you are not alone
arriana
Old 07-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Ryan's Suga'

I would definitly want access to the prison visitation guidelines upon determining. I think personally, that it's such an outrage that they can "play God" like that! I mean, if some coke junkie like George Bush Jr. can become President of the United States, why can't someone with a few tickets and non-convicted accusations see her Man? I am a "Humanist" if you will, and I do believe in Human Rites. These Men are paying for thier "crimes" and Stacie's has 7 1/2 more years and I would say that's enough of a price to pay. I'm upset that they want to add insult to injury by denying them so much as a kiss and hug and conversation over a soda! It should be a rite, not a privelage. We're not hearding sheep here for crying out loud, we're talking about alot of intelligent talented ambitious and productive Men (and Women) who just happened to have got caught doing what the majority get away with everyday out here in society! Geezohpizza! Oh don't get me started...
Old 07-30-2006, 08:48 AM
I Love Me Some Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleteeth
I would definitly want access to the prison visitation guidelines upon determining. I think personally, that it's such an outrage that they can "play God" like that! I mean, if some coke junkie like George Bush Jr. can become President of the United States, why can't someone with a few tickets and non-convicted accusations see her Man? I am a "Humanist" if you will, and I do believe in Human Rites. These Men are paying for thier "crimes" and Stacie's has 7 1/2 more years and I would say that's enough of a price to pay. I'm upset that they want to add insult to injury by denying them so much as a kiss and hug and conversation over a soda! It should be a rite, not a privelage. We're not hearding sheep here for crying out loud, we're talking about alot of intelligent talented ambitious and productive Men (and Women) who just happened to have got caught doing what the majority get away with everyday out here in society! Geezohpizza! Oh don't get me started...
DITTO!

He Says
Attitude is Everything!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:38 PM

Thank you all so much. It really eases the trauma to be able to express myself here. I am staying positive and just looking towards January now. They can't deny me forever so I will just trying. Patrick is bummed but his mom and sister and another friend of the family got approved so at least he will have them seeing him once in awhile. It still sucks...I was so looking forward to seeing him.. but life goes on and we will get through this as we have gotten through all the rest. The love is good and strong and we'll make it. Thanks again for all the support.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:53 PM

Have you yet found out what is going on with your criminal report?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:43 PM

You are right they don't look at anything passed what they first see. I filled out the form and I swear it said have you ever been arrested or convicted of an crime. Well I put no, cause I haven't. It came back denied. Why I gave false information? What false information? My husbands counscler checked into it, and it seems I had gotten a ticket when I was 18, and a couple a few years later. Well I got the form out and read it again--Where did it say did you get a ticket. I give up. I think they do not want to deal with families and visisting!!!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:56 PM

Thanks for all the support. Life is hard sometimes but it goes on and my baby is so good to me he keeps the cards, letters, and wonderful little gifts coming. Amazing the things a prisoner finds to be artistic with. This man writes the most beautiful, powerful letters. He is intense in every day life but the way he expresses himself on paper is magical. So we are getting through this. we have love now, we'll have eachother later.....I'm certainly not going anywhere and neither is he. I better work on his letter now. It must go out in tomorrows mail. it's been a few days since I've written.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 PM

I don't understand, I do have a criminal record, felonies and all. Granted I have completed the drug court program here in WA state, my last charge was in 1999. Everytime my baby gets moved to another prison I get denied visitation again and have to go through the process of appeal to the warden. I have done this at Tuscon, Lewis, and now Winslow I have always had the decision reversed. Maybe it's because my crimes are so old, I don't know. In my letter to the warden I always explain my charges and what the final legal outcome was and then I tell them how my life today differs from the way it was back then. I will send you a copy of the letter if you'd like. Let me know.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:16 AM

it is a shame and i completely understand were you guys are coming from! about two weeks ago i got a letter basically denying me from visiting my husband. on the denial letter it said because the warden felt as though i would be victimized by my husband. he had a 1997 case which involved a domestic battery against me.so i wrote the warden explaining to her this occured 9 years ago before the kids were born and we were married. i even sent her a copy of my marriage certificate a picture of the kids and a long 3 page letter. you know what she sent me another denial letter claiming that i should not send my marriage certificate through the mail and she feels that i'm still a victim. if she only knew or care my husband has change his life around completely he's been a minister for 3 years prior to him getting lock up and a community liasion for the children. true he should had turn his self in but he knew crap like this was going to happen!!! thank GOD he only has 4 months left in that hell hole. sorry for being soooo frustrated but this truely sucks no one can visit him except his mother, me and the girls. Thank the GOD that the lord stays with him always or he'll be crazy right about now.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Almost 2 years to the day.... finally a visit

WOO HOO!!!
Yes, it finally happened.... I actually got to sit across a table and look into the eyes of the man I love.
We had a great visit and I am planning another for tomorrow.
Of course the day I got the news, my darn car broke down... Figures huh?
I went the first time with his mom and sis. Gotta love in laws you can love. I again wanted to offer my thanks to all who have been supportive. I'M LOVIN' LIFE AGAIN

More later.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Donation Award 

Congrats on finally getting approved! Hope you have a great visit this weekend!