Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum.

View Poll Results: Would you support an advocacy program?
I would like to be involved 73 54.48%
I would Love to see this kind of program 56 41.79%
It's a good idea but how would it help me 5 3.73%
I could careless... 0 0%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Us Against the World

When the situation is approached the right way, this is a very good cause. We don't approach DOC with threats of lawsuits, etc.. I agree, you will never get anywhere that way. I have made a point to get to know the right people so my efforts aren't looked at as a threat to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrapinkoski
I would be very wary about participating in any kind of prisoner advocacy programs. The backlash on prisoners would be the only thing an advocate could count on. This is no joke and not to be taken lightly. If anyone whose loved one is in prison were to "make waves" and the wrong people found out about it, your imprisoned loved one would be in danger.

Just a word to the wise . . .

Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlwinfla View Post
I would definitely like to help. I was just talking to a friend of mine yesterday asking, "If everyone knows there is so many problems at the DOC - why doesn't anyone do anything about it?"

Not sure how I could help, I'm a writer, could do web site copy or newsletters. Would that help?

My son is newly going into prison, only a few weeks, so this is all very new to me and it has been a shock to say the least!

Victoria
Victoria,
I am glad to meet you since we are both in the same situation. My son is at CFRC and has been there since the middle of September. This was nothing I could have ever imagine would be his fate. The last few weeks have been very difficult for me an my family, just not knowing. This site has been very helpful in helping with expectations. In addition, I am currently battling Cancer and attempting to keep myself 1st, but I cannot help no knowing.

Take care and hopefully we will see each other on the postings over over our journey.

Barb
Old 10-16-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross811 View Post
I notice this thread is quite old... I just wanted to let you guys know that I have been working with Charlie Sullivan, the founder of National CURE... And we have started a FL-CURE chapter. It is brand new and I only have 5 members. If you are interested, PM me and I will give you more info.
Ross,

I read the link on National Cure and agree that it seems that it has a foothold on this already, although it appears that they have not had a newsletter from 2007. Please let me know how I can help.

Barb

Last edited by Wireless; 10-16-2008 at 08:49 AM..
Old 10-27-2008, 12:48 PM

Dylan,

First, let me thank you for even considering spear-heading such a project. I would like to help and will e-mail you at the above address you have listed. As with anything, $$$ is needed. Some sort of underwriting by a corporation would be key I would guess. I think the lack of any real funding impededs advocacy groups because there is only so much that can get accomplished with no funds. You would think that if recidivicism (sp) was so important to the higher-ups, they would be motivated to fund programs to help inmates in rebuilding their lives with substance abuse programs and job training rather than spend their limited amount of $$ on just warehousing them. The 85% law has only one purpose - to get politicians elected.

Thank you Dylan and God bless.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:28 PM
eyes-window-soul

Even though this post was started a couple of years ago, I will still comment. To my way of thinking, it would be better to join the carravan than to re-invent the wheel.

Find the closest advocacy group in your respective area. Join, volunteer for a committee and produce. A lot of groups would love to have someone on the "inside" They are mostly free world " Alternative to prison" groups.

Your spouse can help document, names dates and times of unusual incidents to be recorded in the groups log of activities. Sometimes. and this has happened, your spouse identifies a 'soft' target. A DOC employee who has been reprimanded for not towing the hard line, or who has shown compassion when others do not. A member of the group will approach in off times and "turn" them. This can provide even more behind the scenes looks at the mentality of the staff.

Reinventing the wheel is such the long way and it convolutes the water. The group you join has a structure and contacts in place. They may be asleep at the wheel but they would gladly turn some reigns over to fresh energy.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Question yess..............finally

my name is aubrey i live in sarasota fl and i want to move cause its kind of small but i just got out again in august on a vop i did time in fdc miami amd texas bryan but i really want to be part of something that helps prisioners with advice or jobs and i need it myself cause iam going to school for c.n.a. and iwant to continue my education but sometimes i get so stressed out cause i cant find a job iam trying to get my record sealed or expunged i have the paper work but every lawyer tells me it cant be done iam willing to pay whaterever iam really tring hard but sometimes i feel the odds are against me i have to do this long ass process for the nursing board to even approve me tell me more about your ideas and there has to be help i want to achive my goals to help others 70408-004
Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
MRS. RIVERA

Dylan
i just want to said you can count on my for this, i'm almost finishing my bachelor degree in social work w/ criminal justice. I have my husband sentence to 8yr and i know my husband is inocent we are waiting for his appell to be aprove. But if there anything i can do to help other inmates and their love ones i'm here to help. i know fl system is not as good, and we need to get all together and do something for our love ones and the rest. please let me know what i can do to help with this project.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:13 PM

I would love to help you. I dont know much about the law, but I am an LPN Nurse, Ive got lots time, and would be willing to do what ever you need done. Maybe I would be able to help with inmates and their families with medical issues.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 AM

count me in
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM
...One Love, forever...

I would love to be involved...Whatever i am need for or whatever i can do...You can count me in...Hope to hear something soon...Mia
Old 08-27-2009, 08:31 PM

Default prison reform group

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesMom View Post
Hi Dylan,

I can certainly appreciate what you are trying to do by forming an advocacy group for Florida. After doing a bit of research by googling advocacy groups, there seems to be a ton of them online. Basically what I see are information web sites on what is going on but I don't see alot of action being done. This was just a small amount of time researching, I'd be willing to check it out more to see what I can find.

I do believe there is strength in numbers and I would totally be willing to support and take action providing the goals and objectives are clear cut and not just about defining the problems. I'd really like to see a Prison Reform Group. This is a new experience for me and it has opened my eyes to the disgusting ways our loved ones are treated in prisons. I'm sure it isn't just in Florida.

I do have a suggestion for you. Since there are so many groups already out there, find one that is actually successful at making changes and find out why. While we do have the numbers to back us up, it is usually in politics that you will find the power to create change. This is an election year so your timing is on the money.

Count me in as an activist, I'd love to help get the ball rolling on reform.

Dylan, Bravo! I am with you and I am a fighter and I don't give up. HOwever, I do agree with Ariesmom. I have been in touch with Florida Lolits. Don't know too much and have not been contacted yet, but I hear they are pretty tough and have good contacts. I await a replay from them to questions sent today. They were started by Kay Lee who has been on Florida prison advocate programs for years. She is most impressive and tracked her down in Wisconsin, if you are interested. She is really full of good info. For the first time I have some hope and a little more direction because like others, I want so badly to do something but fear retaliation for my son in this Florida prison. System. I am with you!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:27 AM

Thank you for this forum. I would love to help in any way I can. My son is starting a 7 year sentence and I'm arfaid for him. This is his first time and we know he is not guilty but he had a biased judge with a lousy attorney. The Florida Prison system is a terrible thing for our loved ones to be stuck in. I'll help any way I can.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I miss my baby!!

I would love to help with something like this. I am working to finish up my Psychology degree and I am actually wanting to work with families, especially children with incarcerated loved ones. My husband is am inmate in a FL DOC prison, and I know how hard it is on families and how much stress those who are locked up go through as well. I would really love to see some kind of program that can actually help out and I would be more than happy to help out. Let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Default Goldroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanR View Post
You ever felt sometimes your life needs more meaning. What could someone like me do to help? I am a felon, I have been incarcerated. I currently own a business that remodels swimming pools. I built this business with my own hands. I came from nothing and built something. Couldn't I do something that is larger than that?

I’ve sat here for the past week wondering what I could do the better my community or help someone in need. Do you think Florida needs an advocacy Foundation? Somewhere you could go for help to find answers. Someone you could call in your time of need.

I would like to know what you thought...

My friends think I am trying to do something to big.
I have a Grandson in Lancaster on a Felonly. When he gets out, the only way that he will make it is in his own business. There is so much prejudice against someone who has made one mistake that I do not believe that he will have a chance by any other means than by starting his own business or getting in with someone who has been there. Thanks, I think it is a wonderful idea to help others who need a chance.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 AM

i belong to a very active group who are involved with many other advocacy groups in Florida called the LOLITS. Check them out so whatever you are doing is not going to overlap with others
Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanR View Post
Actually I am surprised by the lack of support. I have read a lot and in almost every post there is some sort of complaint about the corrections department. But when it comes to making a change people drag there feet.

I really thought that this would be a hot topic with Florida residents.

I would love to help in whatever why i can please e-mail me. I compare the criminal justice system to a spaghetti strainer.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Default Florida Advocacy

I have been looking for an advocacy group for some time and like the rest of you have come to many dead ends. I have no experience but would love to help build one. What can I do? My son is in prison and although he is past the halfway mark, he and I both would love to have someone to talk to who may understand our situation and be able to offer advice.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Donation Award 

Dylan You can count me in. I don't know what I can do to help but I am a retired Inspector General (Army), I worked in the Financial Industry for 12 years as an operations manager/rule enforcer, and just sold my own business. I can see tons of things we could do to make a difference. Right off the bat what could we do to connect recently released persons with potential employers. Help them develop resumes and coach them on interviewing skills. I for one think this is the most difficult and discouraging time for a recently released inmate and when they need the most support, not just family but the community in general. Yes please feel free to call on me.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Anyone know what the status on this group is?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,270 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldroof View Post
I have a Grandson in Lancaster on a Felonly. When he gets out, the only way that he will make it is in his own business. There is so much prejudice against someone who has made one mistake that I do not believe that he will have a chance by any other means than by starting his own business or getting in with someone who has been there. Thanks, I think it is a wonderful idea to help others who need a chance.
I own my own business and we are assuming that the only employment choice that my husband will have when he gets out is to work for me for the reason that you talk about. Especially because he's a white collar computer worker by trade...now that he has a felony prison record - even for DUI? Forget it.

Fortunately I could truly use his assistance working for me, but I don't think he even has the option anymore of working for someone else.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 AM
Riding Once Again

I am in.. I will shoot you an email tomorrow.. I am very good at persuasive as well as editorial type informational writing and also general conversation writing for support purposes so I could help with a majority of areas... Spreading the word, fundraising, emotional as well as informational support for new families that find theirselves in our position, writing articles, blogging about current issues that our prison system has. I think the biggest area is that people on the outside don't realize how bad it is until they have someone on the inside. We need to open the eyes of those around us. I am not ashamed of my inmate - I am ashamed of what our justice system has done to him.
I can also help with newsletter type stuff, organizing setup of the organization, fundraising and even grant writing, I guess I am trying to say I am "all in" I have been doing my part on my own by researching issues when I come across them, emailing wardens, sheriff's departments, the ACLU, and even discussing issues that I am familiar with openly to those that are around me; close friends or not. Sometimes discussions get heated but I love a polite intelligent debate and I believe in "the power of the pen" as well as using your voice.
k well I am getting a little long winded so I will end this for now but will definately subscribe to this thread and shoot out an email to you =-) bedtime for me now
Old 03-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Riding Once Again

ha just realized how old this thread is... Guess the group never got started ah well I will just keep writing and voicing and debating issues as I come across them =-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumwhereupnorth View Post
I am in.. I will shoot you an email tomorrow.. I am very good at persuasive as well as editorial type informational writing and also general conversation writing for support purposes so I could help with a majority of areas... Spreading the word, fundraising, emotional as well as informational support for new families that find theirselves in our position, writing articles, blogging about current issues that our prison system has. I think the biggest area is that people on the outside don't realize how bad it is until they have someone on the inside. We need to open the eyes of those around us. I am not ashamed of my inmate - I am ashamed of what our justice system has done to him.
I can also help with newsletter type stuff, organizing setup of the organization, fundraising and even grant writing, I guess I am trying to say I am "all in" I have been doing my part on my own by researching issues when I come across them, emailing wardens, sheriff's departments, the ACLU, and even discussing issues that I am familiar with openly to those that are around me; close friends or not. Sometimes discussions get heated but I love a polite intelligent debate and I believe in "the power of the pen" as well as using your voice.
k well I am getting a little long winded so I will end this for now but will definately subscribe to this thread and shoot out an email to you =-) bedtime for me now
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM

He wonders why people complain about DOC on here so much yet drag their feet to do anything about it.... cause we don't want our loved ones kicked to sleep. How bout them apples? Just sayin'.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Default Stand up & quit bitching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsgirl84 View Post
He wonders why people complain about DOC on here so much yet drag their feet to do anything about it.... cause we don't want our loved ones kicked to sleep. How bout them apples? Just sayin'.
I am so with you on this one. Why piss & moan if you haven't got what it takes to do whatever little you can? I start high up on the food chain & it trickles down to the warden. Good results happened. And, my son is proud of me for speaking out. That counts so much. BTW, I'm 62 & I am not afraid to let it rip on any injustice.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 AM

Default Work issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAN425 View Post
I own my own business and we are assuming that the only employment choice that my husband will have when he gets out is to work for me for the reason that you talk about. Especially because he's a white collar computer worker by trade...now that he has a felony prison record - even for DUI? Forget it.

Fortunately I could truly use his assistance working for me, but I don't think he even has the option anymore of working for someone else.

I'm visiting my brother in TX right now, and he tells me that there's few in the drilling that don't have records or probation. They hire for what you're able to do & will rain for what you can't, but only thing that matters is that you've got a driver's license & are sober 5 days a week! He knows from experience, never been without a decent paying job---except when he was on vacation! His vacations were all DUI or support issues.

BTW, I'd sure appreciate some heavy duty prayers for by baby brother, 54 today. He's to have 2nd bladder cancer surgery Thursday morning.