Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal Prison Visitation This forum is for questions & discussions related to visitation in Federal facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation at Alderson, Bryan, or Carswell, please visit that facility's subforum in the Federal forum.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:28 PM

Exclamation Why Can They Stop Visitation??? Atlanta Satellite Camp.

My son is over a 9 hour drive from home and he tells me so often that there's no visitation for the week-ends if people get in trouble. I plan to make the trip in a few weeks and take his 5 year old daughter. Isn't there any assurance that there will be visitation if we drive all that way? Also, when a judge orders at final sentencing that he be placed close to home how do they get away with sending him so far away? Does anyone have any suggestions? Would it help to write the judge or anyone or does that just come back on him and get him in trouble? Thanks so much!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,936 Times in 4,394 Posts

Writing the judge will not help - placement is up to the BOP. All he can do is request a transfer, through his counselor, to a facility of the same security level that is closer to you. In most places, inmates are told they must have 18 months clean time before they are eligible for transfer. Also, you'd have to see if there is a facility closer that's the same security designation. As for the visits - no, there is no way of guarantee'ing that visiting will be open. But rest assured that lockdowns are usually not very frequent in camps (more frequent in USP's). You can call the facility before you leave for your 9-hour drive and ask if there is going to be visitation on a certain day and you certainly can call the institution when you get halfway there, if you want to set your mind more at ease. But the reality is that, if you are an hour away and some inmates cause some trouble and the place is locked down, then the visiting is closed also. As I said, you have a much greater chance that they won't be locked down and you'll be able to visit. So no use worrying about it in advance. Zelda
Old 07-19-2006, 04:22 PM

Most often during sentencing it'll be stated that he/she should serve
their time within 400 or 500 miles of address. Or 400-500 away from where the crime took place. Atleast thats the way it worked with the last 3 friends of mine convictted. That could have been because they were drug offenses????
Old 07-19-2006, 05:42 PM

Thanks for your reply. I did go last week-end and enjoyed Saturday and Sunday visitation and we had a nice time. I will say that it was not at all what I had expected. They provided games, coloring books, playing cards and puzzles so families would have something to do and I didn't meet any guard who wasn't nice or polite. The only thing that bothers me is the amount of families so split apart by putting prisoners in other states. I drove 9 hours to get there and met another who drives 12 hours every single week-end. And was told there were many more from New Jersey and Michigan who were in Atlanta. I can't afford it moneywise or time off wise and I'm sure there are more like me. In any case, my heart goes out to young families with children and parents of children in there. I think they should be in their home state as close as they can be in the facility they need to be in. No wonder families split up and children forget their parents. I took my granddaughter who is 5 and she will only get to go now twice a year with me. I also didn't tell her what we were doing in case they did cancel visitation so she wouldn't be dissappointed so keep that in mind if you have young children. And bring plenty of change for vending machines. A clear see-through purse is what most people carried and I was told they don't allow flip flops...shoes must have a strap around the heel although the 2nd day I left flops on my granddaughter as she was getting blisters and they didn't say anything. Just be prepared with extra shoes if you do so!
Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 PM

Also, we are 530 miles away. I understand that co-defendents can't be in the same prison (there was noone else in my son's case) and that they have to go where there is room but I think it would be in the best interest of everyone to be as close to home as possible. After all, they quote on their visitation info that they "encourage family visitation to maintain inmate morale and to foster closer relationships with family..." Wonder if petitioning the feds would make a dif...can't hurt!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Codefendants

I saw a lot of codefendants in the same institution during my time with the BOP.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:00 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,936 Times in 4,394 Posts

Mom 2006 - I agree with you that it's a shame that people are imprisoned so far away from their families and sometimes it just doesn't make sense. But that's the way it is. From the time our son was born, I took him to visit his father, which involved a 23 hour train ride (one way), renting a car and driving another 2 hours, and paying for a motel. We did that trip several times a year for 13 years. I would often think about the families who could not afford that long-distance travel or get the time off from work and my heart felt for them. It was tough on us sometimes but at least we were able to get there and have that time together. Funny enough - our son (now 17 years old) still says he misses riding the train! I just tried to make it a fun trip and, of course, he always loved to be with his dad. Z.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:16 AM
DIVERSIFIED

With our situation they have not even tried to get him closer to home. His designation is 1200 miles from our house. a 21 hour drive...not even gonna attempt to drive that far...we will have to fly and rent a car and get a motel. If he was even 500 miles i would not be complaining at all...much cheaper to go see him than 1200 miles.

Living in Mexico and NC