Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

South Carolina Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in South Carolina should be posted here.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Life After Parole

My brother was paroled in March since then it has been an up hill battle for him. A condition of his parole was to be employed. We're very lucky in that his past employer believes in him and gave him his job back. For that we are very grateful, but the great state of SC has suspended his driving licenses until 2014. Now does that make sence, you want this man to go to drug classes, report to his PO, stay employed but he can't drive to do any of these things. If he didn't have a support system he would be SOL. I feel that the state is committing a double jeopardy on prisoners that are relased since he served what the judical system said was fair for his crime which was drugs, but there is another law that DMV enforces that says we think you should pay more, so they take away their lincenses. This applys to any and all crimes that the new law last year said was violent. In this case he was caught with drugs, no vehilce involved or seized, no weapons, etc, but it still applies. Anyone have any ideas of how to do anything about this?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 PM

SC loves to take DL away. That is why most people around here does not have any. Underage drinking, take them. Don't go to school, take them. Simple poss, take them. Then when our kids drive to work, school, probation, ADSAP (which they force you to pay big bucks for) to get your DL back, then they get you for DUS. AND then you have to pay a reinstatement fee of $100 for each time they have been suspended. I don't know how anyone has DL in SC? But, of course, some of us do, because we have to drive them everywhere or risk them going to jail (again). My thought was don't ever get your DL, that way, they can't suspend something you have never had. Of course, you go to jail for that, too. What do they do in other states??
Old 06-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Donation Award 

I e-mailed the Parole office about this and they haven't answered me. I think I've asked them too many questions. Why was his license suspended until 2014?

He's Home!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Trusting God 4 all things

Is there anyway that he can get a provisional drivers license that would authorize him to drive himself to work and his other ordered appts. check into that,maybe call the DMV in columbia. Good luck to you both!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:16 AM

theres really not6 much you can do if its part of his parole...
Old 09-14-2006, 07:22 AM

So sorry to hear about this law. It really sucks and makes it real tough. Is there anyway to try to get the law changed? Best of luck!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Patients have depleted

In Colorado you can ask for a hearing with the DMV. I have seen them reduce the length of the suspension with this hearing. Maybe that is available there also? Or something like what Colorado used to call a RED license, which is regulated to work and parole/probation stuff, certain hours, ect. Ed license was already suspended when he went back to prison but he was suppose to get it back in 2007. They are now saying 2011 and a breathalizer in his vehicle for a year because of his new case and in his new case he was not even driving, yes drinking but not driving. He will be having a hearing with the DMV when he get out because I work 50 hours a week and there is no way I can keep up with that and having to tote him and 2 kids everywhere too. (Oh maybe a good excuse to quit my job and be a stay home mommy again huh? )