Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 06-09-2006, 11:30 AM

Unhappy Safp In Gatesville

HELLO THERE,
This is my first post. My 20 year old daughter just got sent to safp in gatesville. They said for 6 months. My main concern for her is that she has been a diabetic since she was 6 years old. This worries me. I can't find out much info about their medical facility. She is on an insulin pump that requires several devices and insulin for her to maintain her health and survive. They said she will have a medical bed. If anyone knows anything about this safp, please let me know. She just arrived. I know we will not be able to see her or talk to her for about 30 to 45 days at this point. I not sure about visitations, etc. I can write her at this time. Please respond, I think I am about to have a nervous breakdown, I would really like to chat with someone.... Thanks. bktanner
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2006, 01:22 PM

My heart goes out to you!! All of worry about our loved ones
but when they're ill there's more to worry about! You might want to check out the Texas forum,I'm sure you'll get some great info there!
Welcome to PTO,many prayer's sent your way!!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:23 PM

bktanner,

I will be praying for your daughter! My son was at Glossbrenner SAFP for 6 months and is now about to finish up the halfway house requirement. What was my experience was my son was able to call when he arrived and then he filled out his visitor's list right away and we were able to visit the first weekend he was there. The phone call was the only one he was allowed while he was there. I would call the unit to see when you can visit. This would help ease some of your fears. I don't know anything about the medical units. It was my experience that when I called they were very helpful. I hope this help a bit. Let me know if there is anything else.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:43 PM

hi, my daughter just went to safp in burnet tx. 7/8/06
iam very new to this, and would love to chat with
somebody, she is 20 years old, just a baby;;;;
THANKS LORI
Old 07-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Lori,

I know how you are feeling! My son did six months in SAFP and then the halfway house. He has been home for a month now and is doing great. He turned 21 while in SAFP. I don't know about the burnet facility, but I am here if you need to talk. You can PM me.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Everyone Fave GoofBall

Boo is in Gatesville SAFP unit, you should be getting a letter from the facility stating where she is at and when you write ask her about the visits and such, I know info but too much to type on here right now.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 AM

Default 12-10-07

Hello , My Mother is in the SAFP program in Burnet. She tells me phone calls are not allowed for 30-90 days but she thinks 30. Mail and Visitation's are allowed Sat-Sun 9am-5pm she thinks. Visits are no-glass in between and 2 hr's , i finally get to hug my mom on her birthday it is 12/16 we are going to visit her.

She says they dont get much when they get there. They get 1 roll of TP a week , powder toothpaste , a 2 inch toothbrush , a bar of hand soap , a bar of lye soap. She says they do alot of walking and would be a good idea to get tennis shoes from the commisary for about $20. If they get an outside job they need workboots that cost $25.

She says so far the SAFP program isnt the horror stories she heard in jail , and that she has learned quite a bit from the classes she had before SAFP. We are all hoping that she comes home as soon as able , and that this is the last X-mas we ever have apart.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Phone calls in SAFP are not allowed. Your communciation will be through letters and visits. The visit are face to face. You get to hug and kiss when she first comes out and at the end of the visit. She will have to sit on the opposite side of the table from you, but you can hold hands through the visit. My son is doing beautifully and he has been out of SAFP for almost two years (March 30th will be 2 years). Good luck and have a wonderful visit!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 AM

It is unfortunate that phone calls are not allowed as it is about 2 1/2 hour drive to visit. I am glad to hear your son did well with the program. I do not know what substance your son was using but my mother is an alcoholic and I hope she does as well as your son did. I know it will be hard for her when she gets out and other people are drinking and she cant. She was convicted of a DWI and if she messes up just once when she gets out she will serve 10 years.

Does anyone know if we can bring her pictures or books , maybe playing cards during our visit? or any other information we might want to know?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:10 AM

I am really glad she is not in arizona , specifically maricoba county. My father had recently married a women that might be the mother of his new child. She cheated on him and when he took the kid to a motel she called and started an amber alert. It didnt matter she had 2 cases with CPS he was hauled in and pleaded guilty to custodial interference only to find out later by DNA it was his child and legally he was in the right. Oh but too late he had plead guilty. When he bailed out she was working days and even tho he wasnt supposed he took care of the kid during the day while she was at work. Her mother informed the parole officer he was violating retraining orders and he went back in. During this time the riots happened, many people who didnt participate were beaten , my father was spared because he was disabled , although his cell mate was stabbed. later he was sent to tent city , which was a mass of tents in the pheonix heat where they made inmates work manual labor. my father wasnt even elligable for this type of punishment due to his badly fractured arm but it tooks 4 weeks to get him back out. he plead guilty only to have the judge throw out the agreement and sentence him to 3 years instead of the 6 months served. The wife went to court 4 times begging for them to drop the retraining orders but they told her she was just giving in to pressure from him and wouldnt on recommendation from the PO from information on her mother. She hadnt had contact with her mother since the first incident 6 months prior. He always went back to take care of the kid but the PO was after him and would catch him and put him back in. The corrupt PO's and the system of making money on inmates is what wiped out his retirement and put him back out in the workforce as a disabled man.the maricoba sheriff was priding himself on feeding the inmates on something like $.39 a day. my dad said he got basically bread and water and a pb&j for dinner. The rest was available from the commisary , 3$ for a small bag of chips , candy bar , etc... that most of the inmates that didnt have people to put money on the books practically starved or stole or smuggled drugs to feed themselves.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:26 PM

Caseyray,

To answer your question you cannot take your mother anything when you visit. You can send her books through Barnes and Noble or Amazon. As for pictures you would need to mail those in a letter. Sorry no playing cards. You could order her a subscription to magazines and have them sent directly. All you can take in when you visit is your ID, car keys, and money no more than $20.00 in change for the vending machines. The change needs to be in a baggie so they can see it. Hope this helps.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 21,778 Times in 6,012 Posts

how are you, bk and how is your daughter?

Old 12-18-2007, 08:40 PM
The Lord is my strength
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,781 Times in 790 Posts

Hi, jancy. I looked at bk's profile and she hasn't been on since 10/25/06.

"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." ~ Matthew 21:22