Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation & Release > Employment Information - Michigan (Post Parole)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment Information - Michigan (Post Parole) Job seeking information and tips.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Education grants for felons-When can I find info?

I was tolled that a felon can get a grant for college but I have no clue were to find this information or even if it really exsist. Does anyone have any info on this?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

I don't believe that it exists anymore. There used to be the opportunity for felons to get funds to attend correspondence type courses while incarcerated but i don't think its available anymore. They can take the courses but I believe they have to pay for them now. If you find out something different, I would love to know.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Closed

Well it would depend on if he is in prison or home; if individual is home they are able to get financial aid now where in the past they weren't. If individual is incarcerated then I do believe they have to be able to pay for them upfront.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Nurse/Paralegal....PTO RA

Go to www.fafsa.gov and fill out the form for him. If he qualifies he qualifies!
Faithfully waiting member #87
LASO

Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
~ Albert Einstein
Old 07-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Closed

I cant get the site to open
Old 07-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Try: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/.

deb

September 10th 2009
Old 07-30-2006, 06:32 AM
Nurse/Paralegal....PTO RA

Sorry... I forgot the ed
Faithfully waiting member #87
LASO

Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
~ Albert Einstein
Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Miss'n my brother!

Here's exactly what the MDOC states on paying for education.

Quote:
The state does not pay for college classes for prisoners, but they are able to take correspondence courses at their own expense.
You can read more by clicking here.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:35 PM

FYI - If you are convicted of a drug crime, you are disqualified from federal financial aid.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

You can get Federal Financial Aid if you've completed a treatment program that qualifies (ask a financial aid officer for what qualifies)... Also, the FAFSA asks you if you have ever been convicted of a drug offense and you answer "Yes" or "No"... The Department of Education has not figured out a way to check those answers as of yet...

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 09-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Every time I filled out a financial aid application and read that question, I always wondered what made drug crimes worse than any other crime. Any one know the logic behind that?
Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Logic? I don't think there is any.. At least nt to my way of thinking.. I believe it came about several years ago during the whole "war on drugs" campaign...

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 PM

What was I thinking to wonder about a logically explanation?!?!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Round 2

Quote:
The Department of Education has not figured out a way to check those answers as of yet...
Seriously? How can they not know how to do a background check? And this my friends, is the EDCUATION Department

I can chime in on what I would think would be the logic. Federal Aide covers MORE then what is required to attend College. Any left over monies can go on drugs, also, the person can drop a class b4 it's paid for and withdraw the monies and use it for drugs. It could be a means for FREE money to use drugs.

This really sucks tho, cuz my husband would like to take classes. I guess we need to see what qualifies for a treatment program.

Stacy
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
ex M.C. member

Cool official info about grants and student aid

Drug Conviction Worksheet
Federal law suspends your eligibility for federal student aid, if you have been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study).
If you have been convicted in the past, this does not automatically mean that you are ineligible for federal student aid. This worksheet will help you determine your eligibility.
You should complete and submit your FAFSA even if you are not eligible for federal student aid. You may be eligible for financial aid from other sources.
Question 31 Worksheet
Has the student been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while the student was receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study)?

Count only federal or state convictions for the possession or sale of illegal drugs if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study). Do not count convictions that have been removed from the student's record. Do not count convictions that occurred before the student turned 18, unless he/she was tried as an adult.

If the answer to this question is "Yes", you will be taken to a worksheet to help you determine if the conviction affects the student's eligibility for federal student aid

So if you were NOT receiving federal aid at the time of your conviction , you ARE Eligible for federal aid and grants NOW. I just looked this up on the FAFSA web site on this Date 6/11/2007 so if you answer no it will tell you to answer no for Q. 31 if you say yes it will take you to another page and ask if your fed./state convictions have been removed from your record and if u say no it goís to a Q. that ask ď Did the offense for possessing or selling drugs occur during a time of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid ( grants, loans, and/or work-study ) ? If u say no you will qualify if u say yes u will be ask if u completed an acceceptable drug rehab program since your last conviction. Say yes and u qualify say no and u will be ask how many convictions u have 1, 2, 3+ I clicked on 2 and it ask the date of last conviction. That was as far as I went. I just wanted to show that there is hope and help for us out there you just have to keep looking and donít give up!!! And DONíT fall victim to our OLD way of thinking, remember that our best thinking got us here in the first place. And that if u keep doing the same things , well then u get the same results. And I know that I didnít like it a F*&%ING BIT !!!!! By the way the first 2 paragraphs are straight from the FAFSA web pg.

Last edited by ynothd; 06-11-2007 at 12:08 PM..
Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Proud Grandma - Staffer on Leave!
Donation Award 

Was your conviction while you were receiving grant money for school? Most of the denial is the fact that drug charges is during the time of receiving grants.
The only thing I can really suggest is fill out all the fasfa information. There is also the possibility that vocational rehab can help. I know several people that attend school where I do and voc rehab is helping them. They are getting all fees paid, books and help with housing. You might want to check that out. I am a firm believer that where there is a will there is a way. If there is anything I can do to help give me a holler and I will see what I can come up with for you.....that stands for anyone that wants to get an education. I am working on my degree, I have never done any time, my time was raising my family. I was out of school 28 years and I am now a Junior in college. It's not easy but it can be done. Best wishes to all that want to get an education!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to PattiD1157 For This Useful Post:
deb (02-15-2010)
Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM
ex M.C. member

well like I said awhile ago there's hope for a grant what I did was go to the FAFSA web site and not register but did click on the links to the drug Q's and see what they had to say I tried tellin the truth and lyeing both ways as long as you wernt receiving fed money at the time of your conviction you will be approved
The Following User Says Thank You to ynothd For This Useful Post:
deb (02-15-2010)
Old 12-21-2009, 06:32 AM

I can tell you from personal experience that you can receive federal student aid with drug related felony priors so long as you weren't receiving federal grants at the time you commit the crime. They changed it fairly recently, used to be any drug conviction disqualified you period. I've got two convictions for sale & transport of cocaine and two more for possession with intent and I'm getting a $5350 pell grant for the 2009-10 school year. You have to be really pushy with the financial people at the schools though as I've found most of them will just tell you you're ineligible so they don't have to do the work of figuring out whether your conviction disqualifies you or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimmayWOOHOO For This Useful Post:
deb (02-15-2010), dmpdbd (12-21-2009)
Old 11-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB's Wife View Post
FYI - If you are convicted of a drug crime, you are disqualified from federal financial aid.
This is not true. I am currently attending school with a federal Pell Grant and I was convicted of several drug crimes. Now you can't have been convicted of a drug crime while you were receiving federal student aid. But nothing to do with a prior conviction.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Default Education

Good luck and keep trying! Just because you made mistakes shouldn't mean you can't obtain an education and be a productive citizen. As a matter of fact, education is supposed to be a significant factor in reducing recidivism. Sometimes I think we live in the dark ages.