Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Michigan should be posted here.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:19 AM

Default Absconding sentence

I am new to this site, and would appreciate any help and or advice anyone can give me. My friend was picked up two months ago for absconding. He only had a few months left on his probation sentence, but he was tired of the life and wanted to start a new life so he came to oregon. Does anyone know anything about what his sentence might be for absconding?? He recently went in front of the parole board, but they told him that he would have their decision in thirty days. I'm so frustrated at not knowing when he may be able to come back, or even when he will be able to get out of prison and have a half way normal life until he can return to me. If anyone has a similar story, I would love to hear yours.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Closed

Absconding is very serious and a parolee should never leave a state without notifying parole agent because that is considered a violation of parole conditions.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

My ex is back in for absconding. From what I hear, he was told that he can expect to max out this time as they are tired of him violating parole - BUT I will say, he's been in and out of prison all of his adult life and has NEVER made it thru a 2 year parole.

Your guy is going to have to convince the parole board that he will follow the parole rules to the letter before they let him go again.

GOOD LUCK!
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 06-05-2006, 02:25 AM

To Zhane, that was a very DUH thing to say, but who are we to judge others?? This site is for people that love the offenders, an you obviously have an offender in your life as well. That sounded very judgemental, and you wouldn't have come to this site in the first place if you didn't have someone in your life that was an offender as well.

To Mrs Dragon, thank you so much for you reply, and not being judgemental. At least that gives me a little more of an idea of what we're up against. I can only hope that they do not choose to max him out. It is my understanding that that would be several years for him if they choose to keep him imprisoned his entire max sentence.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:47 AM

ghostdancer74 - Sounds to me like you are being judgmental of Zhane. If you knew anything at all about her history here on PTO you would know that she is great, honest support to everyone.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:50 PM

Ghostdancer74 - I think that Zhane was just stating the facts, with no harm intended. I don't know her personally, but she's very knowledgable and has great insight with what we're dealing with. I too, have received some advice that seemed "harsh" but, I've come to realize that the reality we deal with(MDOC) is "harsh". I can truly say that I like hearing the truth, "straight with no chaser". So, take it easy, we're all in this together and no one wants to be.

Now, my guy told me he heard that a guy absconded for 2 years and was given only six months recently...I guess it just depends.

Have a wonderful positive day!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 03:40 AM

I just thought for her to say that it was a very serious offense was a bit judgemental. I'm sorry, but there are A LOT WORSE offenses than leaving the state. Is murder, rape, molestation, attempted murder etc not that bad anymore??? I just found out today from my man that michigan is the worst state statistically for offenses. I guess I'm glad that I live in a state with a low crime rate. That being said, and I will say no more on that subject, I do have some awesome news........

As I stated above, I talked to my man this morn. Bugger woke me up!!!!! LOL but I don't mind and he knows it. Anyway he called to tell me that he finally heard back from the parole board this morn. They moved him from R & G center to a regular facility, where they asked him to complete a four month transition program. He said that he was one of only twenty guys asked, or rather I should say ordered, to complete this program. I guess we are very lucky in this regard, and we are both thankful. I was so happy to hear that, I nearly cried, and I have not cried on the phone with him. I want all our phone convo's to be happy ones, but he could hear the tears in my voice, and of course said please don't.

But ty to those that were helpful with info. I do wish everyone good luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Congrats Ghostdancer74 on your news! As you can see, there are many of us who are in the same shoes as you are and some even worse. We try not to judge anyone, even those of us who may have loved ones in for "murder, rape, molestation, attempted murder etc." Sometimes providing factual information may appear non-supportive but in reality its the truth and that is always a good thing. We all have to deal with MDOC who often gives faulty or incorrect information anyway. Unfortunately it isn't pleasant in dealing with the entire prison system. Congrats again on your news!!! I hope everything works out for the best!

Last edited by Lions Heart; 06-06-2006 at 04:48 PM..
Old 06-08-2006, 02:50 AM

Thank you very much LD, I just feel that ESPECIALLY on a site like this, NONE of us have the right to sit in judgement of another. I practise that in my daily life as well, not just here. I do not know her story, maybe her loved one has done worse things than mine, maybe not, but she has no right to judge my man for simply wanting to start a new life. I'm sure many of the ppl on here have a loved one that just wanted to do the same and got caught.

ALRIGHT, I'm done defending, (we all do to a certain point) I wish her and everyone else good luck.