Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA > Iowa Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Iowa Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all Iowa prisons.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Iowa Fort Dodge Rivers Program

My son will be entering the Fort Dodge Rivers Program and the only thing I could find on it was a news article. I would like to know how long it lasts and when is the earliest you can get out, or how long you have to be there. Has anyone been through this program, or does anyone have a loved one who is in it now. When will I be able to see my son? Will he be able to call right away if there is money on his account or does he have to go through a period of time that he can't call or have visitors. I heard it is like boot camp, do they treat you badly or is that just hype. I would greatly appreciate any and all comments.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2006, 01:21 PM

My boyfriend is currently in Fort Dodge. I think he is in the Rivers Program but not real sure. When I talk to him next I will ask him these questions and get back to you on them. Anything I have heard from him about Fort Dodge has been good. I guess he is in the Floyd Unit which is an honor unit, they get all day yard time, never on lock down, their own key to their cell and they can use the phones until 2 am. Really laid back he says. Which is good. If you never have any questions let me know!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:21 PM

I have the same questions please let me know
Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 AM

I don't know if you have seen this or not but I just found this I was hoping it would help you out.

RIVERS, an acronym for Redirecting Individual Values, Energy, Relationships, and Skills, is an intensive program that targets young, male offenders. The program is four to six months in length, depending on the offender's progress, and requires that the offender be 25 years old or younger; the average age is 21.
There are three different offender classifications that are eligible for the program, probation or parole violators, shock reconsiderations and general population offenders.
Probation violators and parole violators, also just simply known as violators, are sentenced to the RIVERS program by a judge, usually as their last opportunity before serving "real" prison time. If the violator completes the program successfully, he will be released from the medium security institution and returned to street probation.
If he does not complete the program, due to behavioral problems, he will be removed and sent back to county jail to await a court hearing that will determine his fate. In most cases, the judge will sentence the offender to his original prison sentence and he will return to prison as a general population offender.
Reconsideration of sentence offenders, formally known as shock incarceration, are also sentenced to the program by a judge, or identified as such at the Iowa Medical and Classification Center in Oakdale. Upon completion of the program, a progress report is submitted to the judge, and he decides if the offender will be given a second chance in the community or not.
If he decides not to release the offender, the offender will serve his original prison sentence in the general population.
General population offenders, or GP offenders, volunteer for the RIVERS program, in exchange for the completion of all their treatment needs and a possible early release. If the GP offender completes the program, the Board of Parole will review his case and possibly release him to the community. Even though GP offenders have the opportunity to benefit a great deal from the program, they also have a lot that they must forego.
Unlike the rest of the prison population, the RIVERS offenders cannot have any personal clothing, tobacco products, candy, soda, televisions, radios, or headphones. They are only allowed to purchase personal hygiene items from the prison commissary.
Upon entering the RIVERS program, each of the offenders is issued a uniform that distinguishes them from the rest of the prison population; green button down shirts, black clip-on ties, blue jeans, and black boots. They also must not have their hair longer than 1 inch and their faces must be clean shaven.
RIVERS offenders wake each morning to a very structured day, one that is filled with activities from 6:45 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. They begin each morning with physical training, which is considered an essential tool in teaching discipline and respect for individuals, as well as teaching about teamwork. After their workout, the offenders return to their four-man cells for cell inspection; during this time a correctional officer inspects each cell. Beds are expected to be made and clothes are to be neatly folded and placed in lockers.
For the next four hours, the RIVERS offenders attend intensive treatment classes, which include Corrective Thinking, Anger Management, Parenting, Substance Abuse Education, Thinking for Success, Victim Empathy, Violence and Relationships, Work Readiness and GED.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 AM

oops i forgot the rest of it.

In addition to the treatment classes that are offered, Restorative Justice Services works with RIVERS to coordinate a victim offender reconciliation program. This program involves two or more RIVERS offenders meeting with a juvenile, who has committed a similar crime. The offenders and juvenile meet with a panel; consisting of a community member, the juvenile's parents and Restorative Justice staff members.
The purpose of this program is to deter the juvenile from coming to prison, and also to offer the offender a chance to give back to the community.
Dave Adams, a juvenile probation officer for Humboldt and Wright Counties, makes referrals to Restorative Justice Services. Adams refers juveniles, who have been placed on either informal or court ordered probation, with crimes involving assaults, drugs, alcohol, or burglaries.
"I've heard nothing but good things about the program. The inmates don't beat around the bush; if the kid's thinking is wrong, the inmates confront him," Adams stated.
The RIVERS program's staff, which consists of the unit manager, Michael Kane, an assistant unit manager, eight counselors, and 10 correctional officers, is also credited by the offenders.
"The things I like most about the program are the classes, counselors, peers, and mentors. Because, without the help from all of these groups of people, I wouldn't have learned anything about things I had to work on to improve me and ways to keep guiding me in my road of change," Eladio Pena, a RIVERS offender, said.
Kane, helped develop the program's specifics after researching similar programs in New York and Oregon. "It has not been an easy task working with offenders 25 and younger, but I feel we're making a difference," Kane said.
Although, the RIVERS program has proven to be both demanding and rigorous, its rate of success has yet to be determined. Kane is hoping to resolve this issue through a new computer program called ICON. ICON, which was just recently developed, will calculate the program's statistics, including the rate of recidivism, meaning the rate at which offenders relapse into crime.
While the RIVERS program is an instrument used to correct criminal behavior in prison, Kane points out that there are ways the community can help as well, such as becoming a big sister or big brother, parenting foster children, reporting child abuse, learning about diversity, spending quality time with your family, joining a YMCA program, or just becoming involved in something positive
Old 07-30-2006, 09:28 AM

Fort Dodge is a Kiddy camp... a lot of young men there. He can call right away if he has money on the account. As far as visits go you have to get approved. He has to send you a form and it will take about 6 weeks to get approved or sooner depending on how many forms they have to go through at the time. If you live close to Fort Dodge then you can go up there and right inside the door they have the forms you can get and fill out.

My experence is only with Fort Dodge but when you go and visit...
Check in time is 11:00 am but then you can't go in till 1:00pm so most people go and eat or go to the mall or Wal-mart. If you need to know how to get there just let me know I know Fort Dodge pritty good now!Visits are 3 hours and you can have a hug and kiss at the beginning and end. You can take in coins only in a clear bag... I canlet you know more if you want just let me know
If I ain't got you baby
Some people want diamond rings
Some just want everything
But everything means nothing
If I ain't got you

If I ain't got you with me baby
Nothing in this whole wide world don't mean a thing
If I ain't got you with me baby
Old 07-30-2006, 10:32 AM

I thought visits were from 1-8pm what if you wanted to go later in the evening. Do you have to wait that long too?

Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 PM

My boyfriend is going to be going into the RIVERS program and I was wondering is the visiting hours would be different for them. It says in the article that they have classes all day and it is basically boot camp for them. If anyone can find information or has been through the RIVERS program I would appreciate any information because I can only find one article on it.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:57 AM

funky - please check out the thread in the top of this forum (it's a sticky)... i dont know the answer about visiting hours... but if you have any other questions... i will do my best to answer them
Old 08-02-2006, 12:04 PM

hey my man just got there. He said that they are from 1-8 fri sat and sun.but that's all I know.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Default Is it possible for my son to get boot camp

Is it possible for my 18 year old to get Rivers bootcamp? He is currently in Fort dodge and just got there. His crime was a crime against a person and he had no prior legal problems. He was charged withConspiracy / Commit Forcible Felony . Is there any restrictions
for a crime like this to get a chance for Rivers?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 AM

Default Ft. Dodge

National Geographic aired a show on the Ft. Dodge and the Rivers program in January titled Prison Nation Lockdown: First Timers. Ft. Dodge did not appear to be laid back or a kiddie camp to me. Appeared that the general population was comprised of young men with too much time on their hands.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
CaseysBaby

My fiance is in Fort Dodge .... I just found out today that I didnt get approved cause Im on someone else's from like 2 years ok and was removed ..... so they denied me and it takes 45 days for it to get fixed and he only has 49 days left in Iowa before South Dakota comes to get him ...... any help with what I can do ..... I was really hoping that I would get to see him this weekend =(

The Future Mrs. Mote

Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 AM

Why does it matter if you were removed from another visitor list two years ago? I guess I could understand if you tried to burn down the bldg and they were refusing to allow you back in, but geezzz louise, what threat to you pose 2 years later that it takes 45 days to be allowed to visit someone?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Account Closed

In Iowa, you can only be on one person's visiting list.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM

Default fort dodge national geographic

I agree the programme suggests that most of the inmates at fort dodge were violent young men, and huslters. I was not put off my that and I stated a pen-pal friendship with one of the inmates on the show, who was not the person the show projected him to be.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM
<3

I think they should have done the show from someones perspective other than just one inmate, it seemed to me thats what they had focused on was that one kid (who my husband happened to know!)
Old 02-27-2009, 03:14 PM

Ok, thats good, is it possibly he could pass a message on to him? Do you who I am referring to though?

Anyway, many thanks for your help.

Cheers
Old 02-28-2009, 09:30 AM
<3

To be honest (and if my memory serves me correctly) there were a couple people I can think of that your talking about.. one of them I know the name of, the other I would have to ask my husband about (or see the program again, it's been a long time since I have)!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:54 AM

Default National Geo program featuring Thomas Boggs Ft Dodge

I'm currently in touch and with Thomas. I contacted the warden at Ft. dodge when the show aired. Things were as bad as they seemed. Thankfully, they moved Thomas to another facility. It's a shame that those who find themselves behind bars continue on the path that led them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer08 View Post
To be honest (and if my memory serves me correctly) there were a couple people I can think of that your talking about.. one of them I know the name of, the other I would have to ask my husband about (or see the program again, it's been a long time since I have)!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 PM
<3

Okay thats who I thought you were talking about, b/c that name was the one that stuck out in my mind.