Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 05-22-2006, 03:54 AM

Default Inmate Advocate

Hi everyone-I live in Virginia and worked as an inmate advocate I'm retired from taking on clients but if I can help with advice please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2006, 04:46 PM

what exactly does an inmate advocate do?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Holdin him down....

I do not know about VA, but in Oklahoma once you have served a year you can go for what they call a judicial review. At that time the judge looks at what programs the inmate has completed as well as their conduct and can reduce their sentence. Does VA have something like this?

Missin my daddy.......
Old 05-24-2006, 10:27 PM

Default Advocate

I would help inmates get their legal work done very cheaply. So many in there stay in prison and can't get out jsut because they can't get their legal work done. I would also help inmates get transferred, get proper medical care, help get them out of the hole. facing prison charges etc.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:35 PM

In virginia they don't do that in the way you mentioned. The counselor will evaluate you-at review-to determine if you get any point reductions and evaluate your behavior but in Virginia you have to file a motion to request sentence reduction and it has to be based on errors in pre-sentence reports-or laws that were missed that should have been considered. etc. I think every state should do like Oklahoma it would sure help cut down on prison overcrowding and get so many home much sooner. Most these people don't belong in prison any way.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Johns Wife Forever

nice to see you here
Old 07-17-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Inmate Advocate

Hello -

I would like to know how to become an advocate for inmates. I have a brother that I'm an advocate for but I would like to help others as well with health issues etc.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbc_is
Hi everyone-I live in Virginia and worked as an inmate advocate I'm retired from taking on clients but if I can help with advice please let me know.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 PM

Default how to become a advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbc_is
I would like to know how to become a prison advocate. I have all teh time in the world and would like to know how to help. I am a disabled person. I was a legal assistant/paralegal for 20 for divorce matters. maybe i could help them file paperwork or help in legal research for the inmates. my son is incarcerated and i feel i can help others. please respond
Old 08-24-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Mary in VA

I saw your post from last year, don't know if you're still around but I would like to ask you a few questions if you are. Any help you can offer would be great!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patinpompano
I would like to know how to become a prison advocate. I have all teh time in the world and would like to know how to help. I am a disabled person. I was a legal assistant/paralegal for 20 for divorce matters. maybe i could help them file paperwork or help in legal research for the inmates. my son is incarcerated and i feel i can help others. please respond
I too have a son in prison and am trying to find out how to go about getting a sentence reduction. He is in VA and the guidelines were 5.2 yrs-9 yrs plus a violation of probation and the judge gave him 25 years. Also he needs to be moved back to where he was before. He is losing it here. Also if I can help anyone else I'd be more than happy to. Barbara
Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Interested??

Hello I am starting a non profit organization call The Inmates Advocacy Group..I am interested in finding a few partners.. Do you have an interest? Please email me if so.. Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,697 Posts

Hi Jake. I just sent you a PM. The TEA Party is interested in working with you!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Missing him terribly~

Can someone tell me more about the "Tea Party" group... I am new to all of this but would love to be involved where ever I can.

Thanks,
Renee
Old 04-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Hi Renee. I sent you a PM with the thread on PTO and the website link.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:55 PM

Wow!!! I was thinking the tea party Extravaganza was a Texas activity. I am in central Florida for awhile. As soon as the Secretary of the Treasury wants to move in, I will be in Missouri....My husband has a fourteen year sentence. He has been gone since December. Is the Texas Tea party Logo a copywrited picture?

Last edited by Berna; 04-19-2008 at 09:57 PM..
Old 04-20-2008, 01:21 AM

Hi Berna. We have a chair person for both Texas and Florida. There's a (looong) thread here in activism (go to the top of the screen, and click on the activism link, and you'll find it). I'm not sure what logo Texas is using? Here's the web site address if you want to check it out, and see who your state chair people are:
www.21stcenturyteaparty.us

Old 05-18-2008, 03:51 AM

Default Our California Prisons need Help

I am a wife of an inmate in Corcoran State Prison {CSATF} on a level 4 yard. I have to be perfectly honest and say If it was'nt for the fact of getting romantically involved with an inmate. I probably would have never had my eyes opened up to be able to see just how serious our prisons as well as the inmates are in need for our Government to take a serious stance on what they so publicly have advertised as "Prison Reform", and get deep inside those prisons and start doing some serious policy auditing, as well as the appropriate and thoughal investigation to all the many ignored as well as unanswered reports,and verbal complaints that are being passed down to our prison superiors and staff that holds the title as "Peace Officers" by their names. As a wife of an inmate, I have personally had some issues that have came up that not only involved myself a tax paying citizen, but my son A Lance Corpral in the U.S. Marine Corp,as well as my husband an inmate at Corcoran State Prison.Some issues were of course considered minor A C.O. having a bad day with a bad attitude, My husbands health needs being severely postponed almost to the point of placing his life in danger for a common surgical procedure being overlooked, not to mention his patient rights to have his pain controlled was clearly denied by the 1 year it took the prisonstaff to carry out the Dr.'s treatment order that had already had a written plan, But you know this is how our prison system gets away with all the many many mistakes and purposeful actions their "Peace Officers" and free staff frequently make. They have no fear of accountability for their own inproper and safety risks of those that were trained and hired to maintain and oversee the time they were given for the punishment for their inproper and dangerous behavior. Weapons are being brougtht in by the prison staff,drugs are blamned and sometimes falsely accused of us the loved ones to take the heat off the true trafficer once again yes the prison staff. I could sit here all night and list all the many events I as a wife have either saw personnaly or been the spring for my man to opely vent his own inner frustrations, Can you see how many possible unessecary lock downs and added budget costs that our prison system is failing to deeper explore. Advocate for the Inmates would and could but definitely should be appointed for the prison reform problems are more obvious than ever before...*RaymondzWifey*
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *RaymondzWifey* For This Useful Post:
John2126 (11-19-2009), kima (05-18-2008), queenlynch (07-31-2012)
Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
my baby boy

Question PLease help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbc_is View Post
I am trying to find an inmate advocate in Oklahoma, can you please help me?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:28 AM
happy grandma

Default Hi there

I live in Ohio and was very active a few years ago then my health took a dive, but I"m getting better and ready to fight the rightoues fight! I'm a minister, Iv worked with PRUP and CURE Ohiol
hope to hea from more advocates
QUOTE=bcbc_is;1959706]Hi everyone-I live in Virginia and worked as an inmate advocate I'm retired from taking on clients but if I can help with advice please let me know.[/quote]
Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Default I'd like to be involved

If there is an active group, I would like to be involved.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 PM

Default 21st Century Tea Party (TEA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
If there is an active group, I would like to be involved.
Contact (by PM) Madhatter and/or Morris1. They can update you with latest happenings...

Old 01-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Default Man needs help

I know this guy who is in Lawtey Correctional Institution in Raiford, Fl. On Christmas day he was injured while working in the kitchen. One of the skillets with 400 degree water tip over on to his legs. He has 3rd and 4th degree burns and they refusing him medical attention. Now hie legs are started to turn green from infection. His been writing them daily asking to see a doctor. What should he do now?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:07 AM

Default assistance desired

Quote:
Hi! I am a social worker in NY, whose husband is serving a 25 to life sentence. I want to know how to better advocate for him. The last few years have been really difficult with officer issues, problems with interference with legal and personal male, pc issues, and tons more harrassment and abuse...I have to tell you I am becoming so exhausted and feel as though my voice and complaints on his behalf are not being heard. He has been abused heavily in prison by officers from full fledged beatings (has a case filed and pending for damages) to the minor harassment as mentioned. Any and all help would be fabulous..Thanks. Chris
Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,487 Times in 835 Posts

How were you reimbursed for this service> Are you an attorney? Could a prisoner just request a meeting with you?

Quote:
I would help inmates get their legal work done very cheaply. So many in there stay in prison and can't get out jsut because they can't get their legal work done. I would also help inmates get transferred, get proper medical care, help get them out of the hole. facing prison charges etc.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of sound mind.
II Timothy 1:7
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kima View Post
Hi Renee. I sent you a PM with the thread on PTO and the website link.
Can you send me Tea Party info as well